HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 8:02 PM

How about a bit of color from Julius Shulman to finish the week? The Triforium only seems to have had a single passing mention on NLA, so here are some pictures. This is "Job 5270: Joseph Young, Triforium - Civic Center Mall (Los Angeles, Calif.),1975". There are nine pictures in the set, and, given the subject, I didn't bother with the three black and white ones. The six color images only show three views, so I picked one of each.

All from Getty Research Institute

The Triforium is still standing in Fletcher Bowron Square on the corner of Temple and Main. Its Wikipedia page says that "after decades of inoperation, the lighting effects were restored and reactivated on December 13, 2006 following a $7,500 refurbishment.".

GSV

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 9:26 PM

"The artist intended for the sculpture to project laser beams into space, which would have made it the world's first astronomical beacon."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this item explaining the 'bottle throwing' game at the Pirate's Den.

But still no photograph of the exterior.
__
I have one for you E-R and some pre- post PD history of 335 N. La Brea

It was built in 1927 as Eads Castle, operated by Ephraim Cook Jr. and Sara G. Eads formerly of Kansas City. “An attractive structure of Spanish type architecture” built at a cost, including furniture, of 100k. “A radical departure from the orthodox type of café housing.” It was a family café, also popular with the after-theater crowd. Eads was robbed by two “well-dressed young bandits” in April 1928.

Oct 1928 ad showing the exterior of the building. “Eads for Eats”

An earlier celebrity connection for 335 N. La Brea: in late 1929 the café was sold to Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, Al Gilmore and Lou Anger for $25,000 and renamed Roscoe’s.

Nov 1929. 335 N. La Brea as Roscoe’s

Arbuckle had the café for less than six months. In February 1930 a complicated but successful lawsuit kept the sale to Arbuckle et al from becoming finalized. May 22-24, 1930 the Eads celebrated its grand re-opening as Eads Castle.

By late May 1932, it was operating as Casa Brea Dinners. Don’t get too attached to that name…

5-28-32 as Casa Brea

By November 1933 it was now 3 Little Pigs, named for Disney’s cartoon, and Mark Hansen was the owner. Hansen later ran the Florentine Gardens and was also the “Mar” in the “Mar-Cal” Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. He was arrested in November 1933 for violation of the state (liquor) sales tax law and charged with failure to take out a (liquor) license. Again in June 1934, Hansen was in court again because 3 Little Pigs was selling liquor within 1.5 miles of the Soldier’s Home and had failed to report it. (Now that liquor sales were legal, it was taxed and regulated by the State Board of Equalization and subject to local law; violations were frequent). It continued as 3 Little Pigs into 1936, however.

Oct 1935 as Three Little Pigs

On September 1, 1936 it had had a grand re-opening as El Mirador Cafe.

September 1 1936 ad for the opening of El Mirador Café

In February 1937, El Mirador proprietor Benjamin J. Zimmer, manager H.R. Newman, and bartender Robert Rubin were arrested by LAPD Hollywood division detectives for running a check/banking scheme. Exit El Mirador.

On October 8, 1937, 335 opened as the Waikiki, one of many new Hawaiian-themed clubs about town. Johnny Hall and Bob Cabaniss, operators.

Oct 1937 ad for Waikiki opening, featuring the Sol Hoopii Hawaiian orchestra.

As Waikiki

LAPL Herman J. Schultheis Collection

By June 1938, 335 N. La Brea had gone Latin (sort of- they were still featuring tropical drinks) as “Sebastian’s Cubanola” with Maurine and Norva, Sam Koki and Leon Durant.

As of 1940 it opened as Dickerman’s Pirate’s Den, with the celebrity co-owners as previously noted.

Oct 1940

The Police Commission held up the club’s license in 1941 while it reviewed the overcharge cases. Ultimately (surprise!), it was granted and the Den went on to gouge customers for several more years.

It remained Pirate’s Den through August 1945 for sure. After the war, it seems to have floundered and by December 1945 was Club Donroy for a little while.

Dec 1945

On March 8, 1946 it became Charley Foy’s Supper Club for a few months, before Foy back to Ventura Blvd. (a different location than his previous one).

Yet another grand opening, July 5-6, 1946 as The Track.

This is the last I found of 335 as a café. In January 1951 the Motion Picture Relief Fund purchased the 1-story, 8000sq ft. building for use as its executive offices, and providing social and medical services and a pharmacy. The MPRF still owned it into the 1970s for sure, operating as the affiliated Cinema Glamour Shop, a boutique that sold clothing donated by film and TV stars for benefit of the MPRF.

all ads: LATimes

Last edited by Noircitydame; Feb 23, 2016 at 3:50 AM. Reason: add credit images

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 9:58 PM

Ah, there it is! Originally built as Eads Castle. Great information Noircitydame. Thanks so much.

originally posted by NCD

lapl

I know I've never seen this before. It's a very unique looking building, especially the turret with crenellations. (the kid in me wonders if you could climb up there and look around )

Now let's travel even further back in time.

Columbia Safe Deposit Company, 311 W. Third Street Los Angeles

eBay

interesting classical building behind the wagon

detail

Handsome driver.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 22, 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 10:53 PM

Two women standing in a vegetable garden at 1314 W. 36th Place, Los Angeles. [ca.1908]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-Women-G...wAAOSwFqJWm~GC

I believe the school building behind them is now gone.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 23, 2016 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 11:45 PM

[QUOTE=HossC;7309152]How about a bit of color from Julius Shulman to finish the week? The Triforium only seems to have had a single passing mention on NLA, so here are some pictures. This is "Job 5270: Joseph Young, Triforium - Civic Center Mall (Los Angeles, Calif.),1975". There are nine pictures in the set, and, given the subject, I didn't bother with the three black and white ones. The six color images only show three views, so I picked one of each.

Awww - The Triforium! Simultaneously so horrible and yet so wonderful. I miss its musical hey-day. They should have given it to the Boneventure Hotel (also horrible in some ways yet also truly wonderful!) for its lobby or better yet for a park along those 1970's "City Terrified" movement elevated sky-walks!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

It was built in 1927 as Eads Castle, operated by Ephraim Cook Jr. and Sara G. Eads formerly of Kansas City. “An attractive structure of Spanish type architecture” built at a cost, including furniture, of 100k. “A radical departure from the orthodox type of café housing.” It was a family café, also popular with the after-theater crowd. Eads was robbed by two “well-dressed young bandits” in April 1928.

s
Every month Melba and I go to 335 N. La Brea for dinner and dancing. The fun part is that it always has a different name and theme. Ah, Hollywood....the scene and sets are always changing.

Notice on the Eads menu, Corn Pones....Melba loves 'em.

pinterest

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Every month Melba and I go to 335 N. La Brea for dinner and dancing. The fun part is that it always has a different name and theme. Ah, Hollywood....the scene and sets are always changing.

Notice on the Eads menu, Corn Pones....Melba loves 'em.

I hear she's the toast of the town...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
An earlier celebrity connection for 335 N. La Brea: in late 1929 the café was sold to Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, Al Gilmore and Lou Anger for $25,000 and renamed Roscoe’s.

Nov 1929. 335 N. La Brea as Roscoe’s

This is Thornton Avenue, Venice. Somewhere to the right of this close knit group of homes is 46 Thornton, where, according the to the 1915 Santa Monica CD, a photoplayer named Roscoe Arbuckle had a home. One source suggests the home was constructed in '02.

Google

Interesting Thornton Towers (of which Myths abound concerning Isadora Duncan)
GooGooGoogle

And having mentioned myths or unproven facts, does anyone know the "what, when and where" of the very first "commercial" motion picture filmed in Los Angeles? Try to answer before scrolling down for the "authoritative" answer.

1906?

Plummer?

Vista and Santa Monica Blvd?

Direct to Tally's Mutoscope?

Ostrich and Pigeon Farms! Locomotives colliding!

The International Photographer, July 1932.

And from the same 1932 Issue:

The Elks Club

The X Olympiad's favorite venue

Two more shots. One of the Hills of Hollywood and another of the western Hollywood flatlands, including the ubiquitous Gasometer formerly gassing near Santa Monica Blvd and Formosa.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 4:24 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

This is Thornton Avenue, Venice. Somewhere to the right of this close knit group of homes is 46 Thornton, where, according the to the 1915 Santa Monica CD, a photoplayer named Roscoe Arbuckle had a home. One source suggests the home was constructed in '02.

And having mentioned myths or unproven facts, does anyone know the "what, when and where" of the very first "commercial" motion picture filmed in Los Angeles? Try to answer before scrolling down for the "authoritative" answer.

[Two more shots. One of the Hills of Hollywood and another of the western Hollywood flatlands, including the ubiquitous Gasometer formerly gassing near Santa Monica Blvd and Formosa.

Lots of interesting information there, thank you!

I recently came across this about the Hollywood gasometer.
11-26-71

It says that in 1924, at 1046 N. Formosa, Los Angeles Gas & Electric Co. starts building Hollywood Holder No. 12. 224ft. high. Mary Pickford nearby at her studios protested to no avail. But Mary lived to see No. 12 dismantled in fall 1971. The holders at Duccommun & Macy/Olympic and on Slausen Ave. were also coming down around the same time.
previous NLA

More on myths and Roscoe, every source seems to have different information about the Plantation Cafe he owned for a short while in Culver City.
pintest/previous NLA
Some sources indicate he built it a short amount of time in 1928, which isn't right. An article on Culver City historical society website says it first opened in 1926, but I found references to the "Plantation Cafe on Washington Boulevard" in Culver City being built in 1922 and had been raided by October of that year. Another raid in Dec 1923:

12-2-1923 LAT

Dance Contests at the Plantation August and October 1926. Win a Chevrolet Roadster from Winslow Felix!

The cafe went up for sale in March 1928. Presumably that's when Arbuckle bought it.
3-11-28 lat

another raid
1-24-1929

George Olsen took it over in April 1930, remodeled the cafe with a modernistic (Art Deco) motif. It went up for auction again in August 1934.
8-12-34 lat

Modern sources give the address as 11700 Washington. The auction ad lists it as 10920. (??) In any case, an article in 1940 noted that the former Plantation property was being used as a trailer camp.

Last edited by Noircitydame; Feb 17, 2016 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 5:18 PM

Could this be the old Plantation Club building in 1948? It looks to be about the right size, and there's a turning circle at the front. Its address would be consistent with 10920 Washington Boulevard going by the current numbering system.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:06 PM

Well, Mary Pickford may not have liked those gas storage tanks, but I bet the people in the Porter Ranch/Alviso Canyon area wished they were back :-(

Earl

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 6:42 PM

I found this interesting building yesterday, and can't find any previous mentions.

"Five-Story office building, 7461 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, 1958"

USC Digital Library

I was pleased to see that it's survived very well. The first floor has been modified to include an extra entrance and window, and the prominent street number has moved slightly and changed font. It looks like the squares were originally painted in many different colors (I don't know what they were), but they're now all the same shade.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:13 PM

I would invite everyone for dinner at Carl's, but I don't know where it is! Julius Shulman took these interior pictures at an unknown location in 1948. The 1956 CD lists branches at 4334½ Crenshaw Boulevard, 3760 S Figueroa and 2675 E Olympic Boulevard. Does anyone recognize it? This is "Job 364: Matcham and Heitschmidt, Carl's (Los Angeles, Calif.),1948".

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:10 PM

The penthouse was Liberace's home. I think it is still decorated with some of his belongings. I was up there a few times helping a friend with an art opening which was held there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found this interesting building yesterday, and can't find any previous mentions.

"Five-Story office building, 7461 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, 1958"

USC Digital Library

I was pleased to see that it's survived very well. The first floor has been modified to include an extra entrance and window, and the prominent street number has moved slightly and changed font. It looks like the squares were originally painted in many different colors (I don't know what they were), but they're now all the same shade.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:35 AM

I think that does look like the Plantation's footprint in 1948!

Earl: no kidding- what a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I would invite everyone for dinner at Carl's, but I don't know where it is! Julius Shulman took these interior pictures at an unknown location in 1948. The 1956 CD lists branches at 4334½ Crenshaw Boulevard, 3760 S Figueroa and 2675 E Olympic Boulevard. Does anyone recognize it? This is "Job 364: Matcham and Heitschmidt, Carl's (Los Angeles, Calif.),1948".
I came up with nothing on this. Would seeing the exterior's of the Carl's help? They all seem to have had a circular component.

Nov 1939 ad when there were 3:
lat

From a Carl's menu I have from the 1940s when there were 4.

Figueroa "Original Carl's"

In post 16092, GalylordWilshire had a picture of the Figueroa location. (The other photos in that post aren't showing up on my computer)

I don't remember seeing these shots of it before:
LAPL

Closer view
LAPL

Crenshaw: "Carl's Colonial"

detail of Crenshaw:
LAPL

Olympic Blvd. drive-in with sit-down restaurant, added after November 1939

couldn't find any photos of this one.

Carl's at the Beach "Carl's Sea & Air"

I know we've had Carl's at the Beach on NLA several times before but I couldn't relocate the posts.

NLA - USC digital photo

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoVerde View Post
The penthouse was Liberace's home. I think it is still decorated with some of his belongings. I was up there a few times helping a friend with an art opening which was held there.
Did it have a pool?

5-11-1958. fuzzy newspaper photo of the pool and patio feature of the "double penthouse" at 7461 Beverly Blvd. Sweet. lat

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:08 AM

A long but very good magazine article on L.A. of the early '30's written by James Cain, (author of "The Postman Always Rings Twice", "Serenade", etc)...originally published in Menken's "American Mercury"

http://www.latimes.com/books/la-ca-c...101-story.html

some commentary on the story
http://www.latimes.com/books/la-ca-d...101-story.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:45 AM

Location of Houses in Photographs

Quote:

Google

GooGooGoogle

1906?

Plummer?

Vista and Santa Monica Blvd?

Direct to Tally's Mutoscope?

Ostrich and Pigeon Farms! Locomotives colliding!

The International Photographer, July 1932.

And from the same 1932 Issue:

The Elks Club

The X Olympiad's favorite venue

Two more shots. One of the Hills of Hollywood and another of the western Hollywood flatlands, including the ubiquitous Gasometer formerly gassing near Santa Monica Blvd and Formosa.

The houses in the Hollywood Hills still exist. The first picture is of Fareholm Dr. Just above Laurel Canyon Blvd and Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood/West Hollywood.

The Second Picture is of 5608 Briarcliff Dr. in Los Feliz.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post

The houses in the Hollywood Hills still exist. The first picture is of Fareholm Dr. Just above Laurel Canyon Blvd and Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood/West Hollywood.

The Second Picture is of 5608 Briarcliff Dr. in Los Feliz.
I tried to get StreetView images to duplicate the vintage views, but there are just too many trees. The houses in the foreground of the first photo are still standing - they're just left of center near the bottom of this view.

Bing Maps

I centered this modern view on the house in the foreground of the vintage shot.

Bing Maps

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos