HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:28 PM

More redevelopment is on the way for Whitaker Park at the site of a former R.J. Reynolds site in Winston-Salem.

Whitaker Park Lofts Development LLC and The Whitaker Park Development Authority on Thursday unveiled a multiphase mixed-used plan for 314 residential units, a 125-room hotel and 25,000 square feet of retail.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:21 PM

This is a pleasant surprise. Solid redevelopment plan for that area. Always nice to see all the old warehouses and mills throughout the city being reused. Something like this for the old Basick Sack(sp) building along 52 would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you to everyone who shared updates after my post, a few days ago. A developer, a few contractors, and several photographers all stepped-up to help with this update! Many within hours of that post. Any photographs I didn't post this morning I will post them in the next update. It's currently around 3 a.m., and I don't think I can stay up much longer. Thank you, again, to everyone for their help! It's great to know people are following these updates and want to help update us on the progress!

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Magazine
With a dash of the funkiness of Asheville, a touch of classic Colonial Williamsburg, and a trendy food scene, Winston-Salem is moving into the future as a town worthy of its moniker, The City of Arts and Innovation.
Video Link

Bailey South:
Cladding will be installed at the end of this month. The first floor ceiling is 16 feet / 4.9 metres and, interestingly, the second floor has a higher ceiling, at 21 feet / 6.4 metres.

The steel is now installed for the second floor restaurant's outdoor space:

Credit: eddieflow1

Notice the steel is dark in this photograph and lighter in the photographs below, due to fireproofing:

Credit: bellajkha

Workers are enclosing the fifth floor with tarps, to apply fireproofing:

Credit: wakedowntown

A better view of the workers applying fireproofing, from the second level outdoor space:

They started fireproofing on the sixth floor and are moving downward. They are now on the fourth floor:

Credit: iamzachib

Credit: winston_360

Merschel Park:
This is the sculpture selected for the park. Koryn Rolstad Studios is the winner! Someone on the selection committee is concerned it doesn't do enough recognize women, so he is proposing to add an entry arch, with photographs of important women throughout history, people can add locks to. I think this person loves those arches with locks and had one added to the City's Arts District a few years ago. The "tree" sculpture is beautiful and will have white LED lights, so you can enjoy it at night. I think the tree sculpture is a great selection. Work should begin in her Seattle studio in January. Just say no to the entry arch.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

Credit: CRA

Main & Third:

An update on the corner tower:

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Whitaker Park Hotel & Mixed-use:
Washington D.C.,-based developer C.A. Harrison Companies announced plans for a 125 key/room hotel, 150 new apartments, and 25,000 square feet of retail space at Whitaker Park. All of this space will be new construction and is proposed next to their two adaptive-reuse residential projects. At full build-out, in 2024, this will be a $100 million development. The developer is in talks with Marriott, but the developer hasn't secured a hotel flag at this time.

The development team, working on this transformation, are converting an old single-use industrial complex from 1961 into a modern mixed-use live-work-play development and infilling parking lots and dirt lots with new buildings. This is an interesting project to follow and is already attracting research companies and a medical device company. The 1.7 million square feet of work space is already around 77% leased. As this new construction project moves forward, I expect to see other cities become interested in this project.

$25 million proposed hotel with part of the retail in the background:

Credit: C.A. Harrison Companies

Sentinel Commons:
The Hispanic League of the Triad and the Hubert B Parks & Chester A Michael Foundation are the newest tenants in Sentinel Commons. So far, they have completed abatement and interior demolition. The food hall will have 30 foot / 9.15 metre ceilings, allowing for art exhibitions. The food hall will also have pop-up space for chefs and artisans. If you're interested in leasing, you should talk with them now. This project is leasing fast and is under construction. The first office tenants will move-in around January 2020.

This second floor space is under construction:

Credit: lambert_architecture

This second floor space is under construction:

Pressworks Coworking Space:

Credit: sentinelcommons

Beer Garden with Entrance to Food Hall and Bowling Alley:

Pop-up Space in 1927 building for Chefs and Artisans:

Credit: TBJ

Carolina Athletic Performance:
Our first photograph update on this project! Yes, it is under construction. This photograph is from two months ago.

Credit: Carolina Athletic Performance

Link Apartments 4th Street:
According to the photographer, below, the two buildings are now disconnected.

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Area where the two buildings were disconnected:

Credit: charles_oliverr

Union Cross Development:
Developer Front Street Capital has acquired land to build over 850,000 square feet of flex space, suitable for advanced manufacturing. The site has a requirement to maximize the number of jobs created and this led to the developer saying no to large building proposals with few jobs.

110 South Broad Street:
The elevator and stair cores have topped-out and a project sign is at the site.

Thank you to everyone, including the developer, who shared photographs of this project immediately after my post.

Our first photograph updates of this project:

Credit: jhammarb

Credit: beesafestorage

500 West 5th:
CBRE is already in talks with a restaurant tenant for the lobby. The building is currently 80% leased, with more tenants in talks for additional space. Again, it's expected to be fully leased in a few months. The VP at CBRE said he has never seen an office building lease so quickly. WOW!

I can see work on the ceiling and lighting on the eighth (Flywheel Cowork) and twelfth (Teall Capital Partners) floors:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Forsyth County signed a $2.5 million design contract with Gensler Architects to prepare the final construction documents. Demolition of the existing building on the site is expected to begin in roughly six months, at the earliest. Construction on the museum will begin in Fall 2020, with completion set for January 2023.

Morris Building:
This adaptive-reuse project is expected to cost $8 million. Someone recently asked me if the developer will expand this building. I haven't heard if they will or not? However, looking at the $8 million project estimate, I doubt they will expand it. I guess we shall see. I would like to see an expansion. The railroad may not allow it, since this is close to their tracks?

Brick building with white panels over the windows:

Credit: maurocarvalho

Salem Parkway:

New Broad Street Bridge (A great location to take skyline photographs):

Credit: NCDOT

Hoots Brewing Company on Trade:
The craft brewery's logo is now on the building!

An antique porthole from a ship was used on this door:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Screens:

The logo:

Credit: hootsbeercompany

Liberty Park:
Workers cleared-out some of the overgrown landscaping. Demolition of the Brutalist office building and plaza will begin in Spring 2020.

Credit: Cheston Welborn

Amazon Fulfillment Center:
This building, still under construction, was sold for $110 million. The shell was finished in June and now Amazon is upfitting the space. Completion is set for First Quarter 2020. The developer likes the area and had a great experience and would like to work on another project here.

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
This adaptive-reuse project will begin construction in two or three months, with completion set for March 2021. It has scaled-up to a 164 unit development and will become part of a massive $100 million multi-phase project that will add retail, a hotel, and additional apartments on the surrounding sites. The 1, 2, and 3 bedroom apartments will have 14-20 foot high ceilings. Some units will have two-level lofts. The rooftop amenity space will have a gym and views of metro Winston-Salem's Sauratown Mountains.

A few images from the linked article in the post above this one:

According to the TBJ, this elevator shaft will be upfitted with new elevator(s) for residents:

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
Workers have installed Al Capone's bar at Robert Hall Hotel. This should be a big tourist attraction for this new downtown hotel.

Do I really need to post this link? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

Yes, Al Capone sat at this Art Deco bar! Wow!

Credit: industryhillwsnc

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

From Saturday (10/12):

Credit: Matt_A

Credit: linkaptsiq

Alternative Transportation:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
Landscape architect and Berkeley professor Walter Hood was named a MacArthur Fellow for his design work. He is the designer of both Oliver Cycling Park and the Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge in downtown Winston-Salem. The Land Bridge will have native plants and trees, according to Hood.

Credit: WFDD

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The City of Winston-Salem is making pedestrian improvements a top priority, with work planned on 89 city intersections and the City will add more crosswalks. Winston-Salem would like to be known as a pedestrian friendly city and these projects are big steps toward that goal. The first of these projects will start in the next 60 days. In the first funding phase, 22 intersections will see pedestrian improvements. The intersection improvements and proposed new crosswalks are across the city and not just in the core. City research shows where improvements are most needed and a team is working on pedestrian friendly design ideas for each site. Since most of the streets needing pedestrian improvements in the city are State roads, NCDOT / State permission is delaying these projects.

Low Line:

Credit: blkflycreative

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Green Street Pedestrian Bridge:

This is a suspension bridge, so it is elevated on jacks until the suspension part of the project is completed:

In the image above, notice the stair/elevator cores for 110 South Broad Street are topped-out.

The green-tinted arches the bridge will be suspended from:

Off-Subject:

Office Rents Rising Fastest in Winston-Salem:
CoStar is reporting rents are rising the fastest in Winston-Salem on Class A properties. Class A space in Winston-Salem has the lowest vacancy rate in the Triad and the highest rent in the Triad.

Great American Beer Festival:
Wise Man Brewing Company won the Gold Medal in Irish-Style Red Ale for their Outrageous Daughters ale. This beer is currently available at their brewery on Ninth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. Wise Man Brewing also won a medal at the U.S. Open Beer Championship. This city has several great breweries. Don't forget to visit the downtown breweries on your next visit!

Dance performance:

Credit: helensimoneaudanse

Credit: vinniemessina

Credit: lizletsgo

Credit: maurocarvalho

Your City

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Travel and Leisure has ranked Winston-Salem as one of "The Best Places to Travel in December." As many of you know, I've visited Winston-Salem many times in December and would agree! It is a great "Winter Vacation."

Video Link

Bailey South:

Filling the openings in the floor on the second floor retail level:

Credit: linvilleteam

Credit: kylee.cone

Credit: myjonna.se

This could be an old photograph, from several weeks ago?

Credit: 50n.v

Bailey South, as seen from the condominiums across from Bailey Park:

Credit: a.craftsman.on.earth

Workers have started cladding the building (Thursday 10/17):

Credit: a.craftsman.on.earth

Credit: cathymobley

The other side, facing The Coal Pit:

View from the college of engineering building across the street:

Main & Third:

Credit: brookedwardsphotography

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites: Built!
This project is finally completed, after several years of construction! It was first proposed in 2014 and work started at the site in 2015! The completed hotel has 33 suites, each with their own bar. This hotel's meeting space can accommodate 60 people and the hotel has a bar in the lobby. Interestingly, even before rooms could be reserved on their website, they are already doing very well. They are selling-out dates.

Credit: eponin

Credit: petrmaty

Credit: Andreas Runheim‎

Credit: Fam Brownlee

A look inside:

Credit: CN Hotels

Credit: youngdemocratsofforsythcounty

Hyatt Place Hotel:
It will be a hotel, bank office building, and may now include a restaurant and bar, over an underground automated parking deck.

Credit: Andreas Runheim‎

Merschel Park:

Credit: michal.subrt.31

Radar Brewing Company:
We haven't seen an update on this new downtown craft brewery in a long time! Thank you to Matt_A for all of the updates!

Efird Block Restoration:
Workers are now starting interior demolition and work on the greyish-beige building (609 North Liberty).

General Contractor LMI Builders added their banner to the corner building:

Credit: 50n.v

Work is now starting on the greyish-beige building on the left:

Credit: smithss_27106

Whitaker Park Hotel & Mixed-use:
The developer is working to bring a grocery store to the retail part of his $100 million mixed-use development.

Robert Hall Hotel & Conference Center:
Another neon sign restoration. This sign was found in the basement of the neon factory.

I guess we now know the name of the development's restaurant?

Credit: industryhillwsnc

310 West 7th Apartments:
The development team closed on the site for this new apartment development.

The 1950s building to be demolished for the new apartment building:

Credit: monkey_wrench_photography

Winston Junction:

Grand opening for clothing retailer Camel City Goods second downtown location:

Credit: camelcitygoods

Credit: camelcitygoods

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
City Council approved the expansion plans, but the vote on the access will be delayed until next month. This project will bring over 450 new bank headquarters jobs to Winston-Salem.

Photographing the finished copper work:

View from the Embassy Suites Hotel on Fifth Street:

Credit: andersentravels

What is behind the ugly metal panels:

South facade cladding removed (10/17):

Ashley Expansion:
Ashley is looking into a roughly 500,000 square-foot new-construction expansion that will create hundreds of new jobs.

This week, we can see inside this new downtown craft brewery building!

Remember these screens?

Credit: dai_cheri

You can also see the brewery's wood ceiling and exposed ductwork & brickwork:

Decorative metal work over the front window:

Credit: metalmorphosis.shop

Ambulatory Surgical Center:
Workers are clearing the site, but we are still waiting to see exactly what their plans are.

Credit: nikiy13

110 South Broad Street:

Salem Parkway:

Retaining walls rising above Brookstown Avenue:

St. Pauls Restoration:
This building looks amazing since they cleaned it! The building was designed by Ralph Adams Cram and opened in 1928.

Credit: _justbradleylewis_1982

500 West 5th:
The development team is preparing to start on the conference center. A grand opening is planned for October 26, but it is obvious work is continuing at the site. I'm not sure if I should call it completed on the next update or continue posting updates until early next year, when work will be completed on all of the spaces and we will know all of the tenants? I'm leaning toward keeping it on our construction list at least until all of the common areas are completed and we see work completed on the south facade openings. The conference center that just started is among those common areas.

Credit: millennialcolt

Sentinel Commons:
Sentinel Commons Pop-Up space will open this Friday. It's a 3,500 square-foot space designed for retail startups, giving them an opportunity to test their ideas in this temporary space. If successful, these startup retail stores can move into other permanent spaces in downtown.

Winston-Salem Festival Ballet's new space will open in January 2020:

A rendering of GEMCAP's new headquarters on the second floor (moving-in around December 2019):

Cloverdale Redevelopment:
This is a project we haven't seen any updates on in a while! It is still active! The Cloverdale side was to be demolished at the end of this year, but this could be delayed until early 2020 by stormwater drainage issues? Yes, they did notify the residents, a few months ago. It is happening. I really do wish they would restore these.

Credit: winston_360

Fifth & Marshall Apartments:
We could see an official announcement on this project as soon as next month! A new downtown grocery store will anchor what is expected to be a significant mixed-use development, with office space and apartments, across the street from the downtown convention center. A name change is also expected for this project, since it now has office space and a large amount of retail space.

Credit: almamexicanaws

Low Line:

Installing railing on the Low Line project:

We could see the arches rising, soon, for this suspension bridge!

Assembling the arches for the suspension bridge:

Off-Subject:

N.C. Music Hall of Fame:
Winston-Salem's Mitch Easter and 9th Wonder were inducted into the North Carolina Music Hall of Fame. Former R.E.M. members Michael Stipe, Mike Mills, and Bill Berry congratulated Mitch Easter last Thursday.

City Services Rated Highly by Residents:
ETC Institute, a consulting firm, found that Winston-Salem residents' satisfaction scores with their city services is 13% above the national average and 11% above the Southeast regional average. It's a great city to move to or to move your business to.

Credit: walkingintothingsinws

Credit: winstonwandering

A rainy late night walk:

Credit: innovationquarter

Your City

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:34 AM

The Sentinel Commons pop-up retail space is a really cool thing that I didn't know was part of the project - must have missed it. Downtown needs more shopping options, and it's great to see a place for small retailers to dip their feet in the water and maybe get a jumpstart to become a permanent part of downtown.

Very eager to hear about the grocery store too.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 6:47 AM
Fourth and Main

The mixed-use office/residential project with the downtown grocery store could be announced as soon as next week (November 14?)!

Projects & Construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Addicts
Winston-Salem has broadened its appeal as a center of art, culture, and food while still paying homage to its past. From shopping to street art to living history museums, there are lots of things to do in Winston-Salem and plenty of people to meet. Everywhere we went, locals were eager to tell us about their city and share something else we absolutely had to do.
Video Link

Bailey South:
Only 8,500 square feet of retail space is still available. This building has 26,000 square feet of retail space on two floors, so roughly two-thirds of the retail space is leased. Only 10,900 square feet of office space is still available. Call (336) 724-1715 if you're interested in leasing.

Credit: dc4444

Credit: Unknown

Credit: shelton7635

Credit: jenniefromthebubble

Credit: hsaw_pae

Hyatt Place Hotel:
Currently, every hotel in downtown is reporting strong demand for hotel rooms and the market can easily absorb more hotel rooms. We observed this when the new Hampton Inn & Suites was selling-out dates before its website was ready. This explains why so many hotels are proposed or under construction in downtown. The new Hyatt Place is expected to do very well when it opens.

Credit: _carolinarosado

8 West Third:

Credit: pursuitatthevillage

Main & Third:

It's on the far left side:

Credit: w.ll__photography

New Tech Company Headquarters:
Point Motion has relocated their corporate headquarters from Boston to downtown Winston-Salem. The company is currently hiring software developers and graphic designers, along with people in health care, if you're interested. Their new headquarters, on Fifth Street, has a nice view of at least five or six big projects we are following in this thread.

Collins Aerospace Office Building:

Stainless steel and glass handrails:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

East Second Avenue Apartments:

This project has already started:

Credit: warffordandco

Radar Brewing Company:

A rare look at the tanks inside:

Credit: mikepiola

311 East Third:
On October 29, the agreement creating the next generation healthcare system was executed. It should close in the first quarter of 2020. It is believed this will be the tenant of this proposed building, shown as a high-rise in past news articles. Atrium Health will construct the building for a translational research and population health center and past news articles spoke of the creation of thousands of scientific and analytics jobs in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It sounds exciting! I guess we shall see?

Credit: firstonfifth

Removing the scaffolding:

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:
Their current edition has an interview with the developer, Will Spencer, that I'm sure everyone is excited about!

A 1940s Streamline Moderne wheel alignment machine:

Credit: southernhistoric

How the John Bean Visualiner works: (Yes, it still works!)

Credit: southernhistoric

Business card from the showroom:

Credit: twincityt

Muse Winston-Salem:
They closed on the former courthouse building for this project. Yes, it is moving forward!

Liberty Park:

At this sound art event, you can see the tree stumps from the landscape clearing:

Credit: wendyintheworld

Sound art at night, in a park to be demolished? Keep Winston-Salem weird & nerdy!

Salem Parkway:
People in the Brookstown Neighborhood should be happy with this news. Workers are making progress with the bridge over Brookstown Avenue.

Brookstown Avenue Bridge and the Brookstown Neighborhood:

Conduit under a new bridge in the West End Neighborhood:

Credit: terrybriggs5028

Cherry Street Bridge:

Credit: sjoeyb

Constructing a new drainage structure:

Green & West:
We haven't seen anything from this restoration project in a long time! It is the conversion of a 1925 West Salem Neighborhood grocery store into a garden store and apartment space. Their tenant has already moved into the apartment space.

Credit: greenandwest

Credit: greenandwest

1001:

Credit: h.c.roberts.photography

An aerial of the site demolition!

It's the building covered in scaffolding, behind the baseball hat of the person on the left:

Credit: thegrove_creative

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:

Credit: Cook Medical

Brouwerij DuBois:
This new craft brewery has set an opening date of Fall 2020. The new brewery will use a manual brewing system.

500 West 5th:

They cut a ribbon, but it's still under construction, as you will see in the other photographs for this project:

Flywheel Coworking will open their new location on November 25:

Credit: flywheelcowork

If you want space, they are filling-up fast! You need to contact them today!

Credit: wendyintheworld

Credit: twincityfloral

Flywheel Coworking - Monday (10/28):

Flywheel Coworking - Monday (10/28):

A large countertop at Flywheel Coworking:

The size of the countertop is so large it had to be constructed on-site:

Sunnyside Millwork has a store, in the downtown Arts District, with items for your home. If you like their work, visit their store!

Thinkspace:
This is a coworking space for artists and creatives in a beautiful old building in downtown's Industry Hill Neighborhood. Art studio spaces start at $250 a month. They are almost full, so contact them today! They are also looking for an artist to paint a large mural on one of their walls, if you're interested.

Credit: thinkspace_coworking

Sentinel Commons:

Credit: dashingtrappings

The pop-up space is now open:

A look at the new pop-up space:

Credit: debonair.imports

They have already leased 125 units and the building is still under construction! I think they are leasing half of the building now and will lease the other half at a later date? They expect this building to be fully leased shortly after completion, due to strong demand for apartments in downtown Winston-Salem.

Link Apartments has an Innovation & Creation Station as an amenity:

The Innovation & Creation Station whiteboards:

Package system installed:

Common Area:

Credit: alzwnc

Credit: jenniefromthebubble

Waiting for installation of the arches for this suspension bridge:

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:

It is located below the small arch on this bridge:

Off-Subject:

Strong Job Growth in Winston-Salem:
According to the North Carolina Department of Commerce, Winston-Salem had the third highest net job growth over the past year. Winston-Salem's unemployment rate is currently 3.3%.

Net Job Growth:
Charlotte: 28,400
Raleigh: 20,200
Winston-Salem: 8,800
Durham: 4,600
Greensboro: 2,900

Hanging Rock State Park:
If you're new to Winston-Salem, you should visit Hanging Rock. The Winston-Salem Foundation donated Hanging Rock to the State of North Carolina in 1936 for the creation of this park.

Video Link

Credit: theokayestmama

A narrow car-free street of 1904 rowhouses (these are expensive):

Credit: dashingtrappings

Credit: isaiahclonch

Credit: tyler09

Credit: theparlor.winstonsalem

Your City

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:49 AM

Awesome stuff!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:47 PM

Hawthorne Hill expansion could bring 800+ jobs. Renfro hq and Truliant expansions announced. What's the total number of jobs potentially headed to the city?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:47 AM
Fourth and Main

A health issue may impact my ability to continue updating this thread or could create a longer break between updates. Thank you for visiting this thread for your Winston-Salem updates and thank you to those who provide photographs for this thread.

Projects & Construction:

Thank you to all the men and women in our armed forces for all you do and thank you for using this thread to stay up-to-date on what is happening in our favorite city!

Video Link

We didn't have many photographs this week. Please share construction photographs with us!

Bailey South:

This is a rare view from the southwest:

Cladding progress (on the far left side of the photograph):

Credit: expressgraphics_

Hyatt Place Hotel:
This project will be completed no later than January 31, 2022. They have acquired the site, grading for the hotel is completed, utilities are extended to the site, and now they are preparing to start construction on the actual hotel structure.

Main & Third:
Workers have started on the Main Street retail space. WestSalem19 @ WSTB Forum is reporting the retail space will become an art gallery.

A look at the retail space (art gallery) from the WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Aker @ WSTB Forum
I'm guessing this is for stairs?

Credit: hi_its_dylan

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
Construction is expected to take 15 months.

Credit: CRA

New Downtown Elementary School:
The Winston-Salem / Forsyth County School System is in talks to buy the former B. F. Huntley Furniture Company Building, at 1201 North Patterson Avenue in downtown Winston-Salem's Industry Hill Neighborhood, for a new elementary school. This would be downtown's third elementary school. The school system is also looking into buying property near the Tenth Street side of the former B. F. Huntley site. Yes, they are considering adaptive-reuse of this former furniture factory into an elementary school! They are also considering new construction.

Crystal Towers Apartments:
The conversion of this building on Sixth Street to luxury apartments should be one of the big downtown projects of the new year. This developer is also working on Sentinel Commons. Arden Group (developer) paid $5,128,000 for this Mid-century Modern building.

Radar Brewing Company:
This new downtown craft brewery has received their city alcohol license.

WFBH ED/OR/ICU Tower:
WFBH will move emergency services into a new tower, featuring new operating rooms, ICUs, pathology, radiology, and support services, like check-in, waiting areas, and pre/post-op. This will "modernize an important part of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, fulfilling a long-term need as the primary referral center in western North Carolina for trauma and burn patients."

Efird Block Restoration:

Credit: Warren LeMay

Theatre Alliance:
They have started their fundraiser and would like to complete the first floor of their new performing arts center by July 2021. The first floor will have a mainstage theatre, box office, scene shop, dressing rooms, restrooms, and lobby space. The first floor theatre will be nearly twice the size of their current theatre. A future construction phase, on the second floor, will add a black box theatre, rehearsal space, costume shop, storage for props, meeting space, and restrooms. This project is the adaptive reuse of a 70+ year-old former Blue Bird Cab building, near the downtown library.

8 West Third Street:

La Tri Soccer:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a long time! The developer has decided to expand the indoor soccer facility by 24,100 square feet. Shelton Construction is the General Contractor for the expansion.

West Academy Apartments:
Workers have started asbestos removal and demolition of the hotel at this site. After the hotel is demolished, in the first quarter of next year, this apartment and retail development will begin construction.

Someone climbed the scaffolding and vandalized the building (It was removed):

Removing the scaffolding:

Credit: monkey_wrench_photography

WFBH Eye Institute:
A new deal with Atrium Health has provided half of the needed financing for this building in downtown's IQ District, which they said will "anchor and foster the future economic growth of downtown Winston-Salem." This new building will "provide an easy access location for all eye services and bring together clinic and clinical trial, imaging, treatment and surgical spaces with education space for training the next generation of eye care providers." It will "relocate existing and new eye services from the Medical Center campus to a new location in Innovation Quarter’s southern district to anchor and foster the future economic growth of downtown Winston-Salem."

Demolition of the former 1951 Security Life & Trust Headquarters will continue through April. Grading is scheduled to begin April 23, 2020. Construction on the actual apartment building is scheduled to begin July 27, 2020, with a completion date of March 25, 2022.

Looking at the demolition of the former 1951 Security Life & Trust Headquarters from an alley:

Credit: randy___brannock

Credit: randy___brannock

This is the view over the construction site:

The demolition progress is most visible in this photograph (far right in this photograph):

Credit: msmurphysmusicroom

This downtown craft brewery will be completed in the next seven weeks or less. In addition to serving Hoots beer, they will also have wine and cocktails.

Credit: winstonwandering

Sentinel Commons:

Credit: gdogtaylor

A look at the 1927 building:

Credit: aarondblackmon

A look at the architect's office in the building. They are located in the 1927 structure. The firm restored the original "8’ tall window openings, roof light monitors as well as end-grain butcher block floors." This is a nice office space!

The Easley Apartments:
City Council has agreed to close a section of Brookstown Avenue and replace it with a bike and walking path, allowing this 277-unit apartment development to move forward. Cyclists using the road have requested this path.

Morris Building:

Still waiting to hear Front Street's final plans for this project:

500 West 5th:

A rarely seen angle:

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
This project now has all approvals needed to begin construction. They will double the size of their headquarters and double their employment with this project.

Salem Parkway:

You can clearly see Winston-Salem's interesting terrain in these photographs.

George Black House & Brickyard Museum:
According to City Beat, a local preservation group is looking into what is needed to stabilize and restore this proposed museum and brickyard. Preservation Forsyth will hold their annual meeting at this historic property on November 17.

Winston Junction:

Credit: lmi.builders

Courthouse Parking Deck:
Electric service was extended to the site.

Woodruff Aviation College:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

New Healthcare Jobs:
WFBH will bring 839 jobs to their Winston-Salem offices on January 1. The jobs are moving from an Atlanta-based company. According to the TBJ, most of the jobs moving to Winston-Salem are from Raleigh. Workers have an option to move to Winston-Salem and keep their jobs. As WFBH works with other health systems, they may move more jobs here and hire more people.

Thinkspace:

Rendering of their flex space for creatives:

Egger North American Headquarters:
In December, Egger will move into part of their office space at the new North American Headquarters. This is just the first phase. Construction will continue on this $700 million project. 770 employees will work there when it is completed. This project includes a design center for architects, a showroom, and a training center, in addition to the office space. As usual, no photographs.

This photograph is a few weeks old, but does show the corner entrance:

Two-in-one photograph! Both the land bridge and Oliver Cycling Park!

You can see the land bridge (with a white tarp and stacked wooden concrete forms on it) and Oliver Cycling Park is on the far right (where the construction workers are walking):

Off-Subject:

Tyrannosaurus rex can weigh up to 31,000 pounds, which is rough on neighborhood roads:

Credit: estherholland1975

20191104_indigenous_land_03 by Wake Forest University, on Flickr

Strong Leasing in Downtown Winston-Salem:
Last month, Downtown Winston-Salem had its highest recorded office space absorption in half a decade. The downtown Winston-Salem office market has the highest office space absorption in the Triad.

Winston-Salem Has Highest Home Price Increase:
According to CoreLogic, Winston-Salem had the highest increase in home prices in North Carolina.

Winston-Salem: 5.34%
Charlotte: 4.57%
Raleigh: 4.32%

Job Growth Rate:
White collar jobs are the drivers of Winston-Salem's impressive job growth numbers. Winston-Salem's job growth rate was the best nationally of cities in its size category (peer cities). Since this is a construction thread, I'll share the construction job growth, too: Construction jobs are up 5.5% in Winston-Salem over the past year.

1-year job growth rate:
Winston-Salem: 3.1%
Charlotte: 2.4%
Austin (Tx.) 1.9%
Raleigh: 1.8%
Greenville (S.C.): 1.8%
Atlanta: 1.6%
Richmond (Va.): 0.6%
Greensboro: 0.3%

Credit: m.therese.t

Credit: faderre

Your City

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:50 PM

Thank you for these posts-- Hoping for good health for you!

Matthew,

Thank you for your efforts to post these regular updates. Scrolling through your update is a treat each time you post. I noticed at the top of this post that you alluded to a health issue. Just wanted you to know I'm sending good thoughts your way for good/improved health!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:51 AM

We've got a lot to look forward to. Between this thread and WSTB, it sounds like apartments, hotels rooms, and office space are all still in high demand? Maybe as real estate starts running out, we could see some real additions to the skyline pop up?

Beside the point, I was caught off guard when I scrolled to that photograph from hi_its_dylan (in the Main and Third section). The photographer and model in that pic are both good friends of mine.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 2:44 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

The SSP Winston-Salem Development Thread turns six years old this week! And to celebrate, we have several new exciting projects in today's update!

Have a happy Thanksgiving with your family this week!
Video Link

Bailey South:
rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum reported seeing truck loads of windows delivered to the site. According to the local chamber of commerce, this building has increased the amount of retail space to 33,000 square feet and will have two restaurants.

Finally, a recent and better quality rendering, though it only shows the bottom of the building. Do I see light fixtures to light-up the facade at night?

Credit: WS Chamber

Credit: hazyandjuicy

Cladding the back:

Credit: joetorious1

From Tuesday night (11/19):

Credit: thisisaforster

"A modern mid century design with finish paint:"

The Variable's new office space should look amazing!

"A set of beams being lifted:"

Wednesday (11/20):

Credit: waddlz27

Credit: kinghomsar

Friday (11/22):
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB Forum
Hyatt Place Hotel:
The construction fence is now in place as of Friday (11/15). This project is one of the 25 to Watch for 2020, according to the TBJ.

Dirt lot on the far left side:

Credit: 67_press

Merschel Park:
Covered construction fencing is up.

Credit: why_fie

Main & Third:

Credit: clonchisaiah

Workers are installing the kitchen equipment:

The Easley Apartments:
This apartment development will now have 300 apartment units. 221 one-bedroom units and 79 two-bedroom units. According to the developer, he would like to start construction in April 2020 and complete the project in April 2022. At this point, they haven't selected a GC. It could be a $49 million development. This developer believes demand is there for even more upscale housing in downtown Winston-Salem, above and beyond what is already there and proposed, so it should be interesting to see if they propose another apartment building, soon. It appears as if he is already looking at "prime locations" in downtown? The Easley will have a dog park with dog wash station, an elevated saltwater pool with ballpark views and an aqua lounge (an air-conditioned space with a kitchen, televisions, and seating, with large roll-up doors connecting it to the pool), a clubhouse with fitness center, club room, co-working space, a city park, a fire pit, an outdoor kitchen, bike storage, electric car charging stations, and an elevated outdoor terrace with ballpark views. Wow!

8 West Third Street:

An aerial view from a neighboring skyscraper (It's on the far right):

Credit: blackwellmb

The Ford Factory appears gritty when you keep the restaurant & barcade, across the street, out of the frame:

Credit: vannahjuliet.jpg

110 South Broad Street:

On the far right:

Credit: old_mill_stream

Railroad Building Restoration:
It appears as if Ohio-based developer GBX Group has acquired another property in downtown Winston-Salem for a restoration project. GBX Group is proposing a restoration of the historic Winston-Salem Southbound Railroad Building. The building is 106 years old. Still waiting for more details. GBX Group is also restoring multiple connected buildings in the Efird Block in downtown Winston-Salem.

Courthouse Parking Deck:

Credit: procon.inc

1245 Ivy Avenue:
The owners of the Art Deco 1245 Ivy Avenue Building, in downtown's Industry Hill Neighborhood, have applied to rezone the building and property to the City's Downtown Entertainment District zoning (E). This zoning is for loud music clubs, bars, etc.,. With this zoning, residents can't complain about loud music and large entertainment venues. 1245 Ivy Avenue was designed by famed Detroit architect Albert Kahn and is the best example of his work in North Carolina. It's already on the National Register of Historic Places.

I would like to see this tower restored with glass block windows, as architect Albert Kahn originally designed it:

Credit: GSV

This project will have a total of 4.5 million square feet, when completed.

Salem Parkway:

Preparing Brookstown Avenue for paving and reopening:

Pouring concrete on the bridge over Brookstown Avenue:

Winston Junction:
The downtown retail space for "A Stone's Throw" is now completed. A Stone's Throw sells handcrafted items, including furniture, pottery, jewelry, and more.

A Stone's Throw Retail Space:

A Stone's Throw Retail Space:

403 East Tenth Apartments:
A developer named Third Wave has assembled the sites at Tenth and Patterson in downtown Winston-Salem's Industry Hill Neighborhood for a large apartment development. Yes, this was the downtown cyclocross site we posted on a few years ago in this thread. The extreme cyclists are selling to an apartment developer. You may remember the local school system was interested in this site for a new construction downtown elementary school. I'm guessing this will lead to the school system adaptive-reusing the large furniture factory to the north of this site? A school next to this location will make these apartments more attractive.

Credit: roberthallws

Sentinel Commons:

Credit: wsfestivalballetnc

This is described as an "ultra black light, interactive art installation"

Credit: funkyflychick

This is now completed and you can see it on the first floor! It includes a ball pit and slide, projections dating back to 1903, and designated selfie areas:

Theatre Alliance:
The Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance is at 63% of their fundraising goal to start construction! Please consider donating to this awesome downtown adaptive-reuse project! This project is the adaptive-reuse of a 70+ year-old former Blue Bird Cab building.

Floor plan for the first phase of the first floor:

Credit: Theatre Alliance

Thinkspace:
A look at the building being converted to co-working spaces for artists and creatives. The cheap renovation is from 1990. It's an interesting building, around a century-old, and if they install new windows and restore the storefront windows/main door, this could be a great restoration project. I'm not sure what their exterior plans are, since they have only shared interior renderings and details on a mural contest?

The building to be converted into co-working space for artists and creatives:

500 West 5th:
Select Bancorp has signed a lease in 500 West 5th. The downtown Winston-Salem office now gives them a presence in the three largest urban areas in North Carolina. This location will give them access to the large startup community in this skyscraper.

A company is in leasing talks to take the last several floors of this building. When announced, this building's office space will be fully-leased, with nearly 1,000 people working there. The developer is already planning a new construction office building on a neighboring site, with a skybridge connecting to this building.

Goose & The Monkey Brew House:
A BIG progress update on this new craft brewery.

The bar:

Credit: gooseandthemonkeybrewhouse

Brewery tanks:

Credit: chanmanphotos

Efird Block Restoration:
Nationwide Insurance is the tenant that leased all of the office space in this project, across multiple buildings. The office space in the buildings will be connected.

St. Pauls Restoration:
An update on the restoration of this Ralph Adams Cram designed structure.

Video Link

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The architects said this will be "the finest new courthouse in North Carolina and one of the finest in the country." Douglas Kleppin of CBRE Heery said, it will be "daylit at both ends, easy to navigate in terms of wayfinding," and will have "open spaces connected by stairs and escalators. It’s just a beautiful kind of procession into the court, I think that takes you to these entrances." They are also creating an amazing waiting space for jurors to make their service a much better experience.

Design change:

Credit: CBRE Heery

Skinner Warehouse Adaptive-reuse:
There are rumors the last big unrenovated industrial building in downtown could be converted to office space for tech companies. I know several people on the forums have wanted to see this happen. Maybe it's finally close to happening?

Credit: jwrogers312

Radar Brewing Company:

A rare interior update on this downtown craft brewery:

A nice "canyon view" of the apartment building:

Credit: zeb_jones93

This suspension bridge for cyclists and pedestrians won't be completed until after Salem Parkway is completed. The temporary supports can't be removed until the suspension cables are installed and holding the weight of the bridge. This may cause night closures, for a few months, when Salem Parkway is completed. They would like to have the suspension bridge open by Spring 2020 or sooner. It depends on the weather.

Off-Subject:

An office for a company that installed Form Stone decades ago and it has every style and color offered, on the structure's different sides:

Credit: lettersfromwinston

Credit: corrie_beck

The large sculpture is by Vuk Vuchinich. I'm not sure if he made the smaller water spraying frogs or not? If you think you've seen it elsewhere, there is a good reason for that. The artist made this Kneeling Venus in Winston-Salem and a second Kneeling Venus in Miami at Casa Casuarina, the former home of Gianni Versace.

Credit: billsimmons8269

Vuk Vuchinich also made other sculptures for the gardens, including a sculpture of the Winston-Salem family living in the house, but those sculptures were removed and are now in private collections.

Credit: thegrove_creative

Credit: coffeeparkwsnc

Your City

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:39 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We've all noticed Winston-Salem's impressive job growth. Now this city is gaining national recognition and rankings from it! And, as we've seen in other cities with impressive job growth, home prices are also rising fast.

Video Link

Bailey South:
Black Mountain Chocolate's GC is pulling permits to start work on their first floor chocolate factory and store. The new space will be nearly 4,000 square feet.

Window installation (Friday 12/6):

Credit: NathanRamsey115

An older aerial from roughly a month ago:

Updated view of the building's west facade:

Credit: dxdro_

Credit: WFDD

Credit: dwspguy

A look at the observation deck and rooftop bar:

Main & Third:
Workers have installed the windows on the retail space (art gallery space).

It's the structure under construction on the left side:

Credit: 67_press

Mayfair Street Partners is interested in acquiring this building, which may change plans for the space if they do acquire it.

Merschel Park:

The construction fence was moved to install a Christmas Tree at the site:

Credit: danhattan

Hyatt Place Hotel:
Still waiting for construction workers to return to this site. This developer takes forever to do anything.

Credit: Gwyn

JKS will move their headquarters and creative operations to the office space in this downtown mixed-use project. This project includes meeting space, a bar, restaurant, hotel, and office space.

Credit: w.ll__photography

An update on the installation of Al Capone's Art Deco bar in the hotel:

Progress on the hotel rooms:

Progress on the hotel rooms:

Staircase to the hotel's event/meeting space:

Staircase to the hotel's event/meeting space:

Staircase connecting the hotel's event/meeting space with Radar Brewing Company's taproom:

850 North Trade Street:
It appears as if the developers of Winston Junction will purchase the last produce warehouse, in downtown's former Produce District, to convert it into a mixed-use retail/restaurant/entertainment venue. Not many details at this time. Landmark Builders could be the general contractor, but I'm not sure? The developers transforming this part of downtown are changing the name of the area from the Produce District to Industry Hill and renovating the buildings to a variety of uses. They also have an Entertainment District zoning that covers the area and prevents area residents and businesses from making noise complaints.

500 West 5th:
Renfro Corporation will likely move their headquarters to 500 West 5th. I was told a lease should be signed before the end of January. Tech company EMMsphere has also signed a lease for space in 500 West 5th. With these two leases, 500 West 5th's office space should be fully leased.

New sign:

Credit: Flywheel Cowork

Credit: thrueyesoflove

Greenway Lofts:
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts will lease this under construction apartment building as a dormitory through 2021. It should open soon.

Salem Parkway:

Salem Parkway will have a nice view:

Veterans Nursing Home:
This project held a ground breaking on Thursday and is now under construction. It is a 120-bed project expected to cost $50 million. Completion is set for Spring 2021. This project creates around 200-250 new healthcare jobs and will be the second largest in the state. Yes, more jobs for Winston-Salem's job growth numbers, as Winston-Salem becomes one of North Carolina's top three in net job growth.

Crystal Towers Apartments:

New Biotech Headquarters:
Foenestra is the newest headquarters in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They are an epigenetics company.

110 South Broad Street:

Pouring the third floor:

Credit: ccpumping

Theatre Alliance:
Thomas H. Hughes Architecture was selected as the architect for this adaptive-reuse project. Design completion is set for Fall 2020, with completion in June 2021. This downtown building will be more than three times larger than their current space.

Credit: Thomas H. Hughes Architecture

601 West Fourth Street:
The office space in this building is now fully leased. CBRE and two insurance companies have leased the remaining space and these three tenants are preparing to upfit the spaces. Yes, all three tenants are starting their upfits at the same time!

Sentinel Commons:

Credit: wildthingsreside

New Park Space:
The Piedmont Land Conservancy is raising money to buy a conservation easement to create a large 92 acre park space. This land is very close to downtown and several developers have attempted to purchase it in the past. This will protect the site from development and the conservancy would like to add trails and other amenities for residents near the land. The site was originally assembled for Trinity College to relocate to Winston-Salem, but this didn't happen. Trinity College is known today as Duke University. The site instead became Davis Military Academy and later a state children's home, run by the Methodists. In recent years, the site has become at risk for development, which has neighbors concerned. It is rare to have a large green space, like this, so close to downtown and much of the city would like to have it preserved.

Radar Brewing Company:
This new craft brewery is preparing to install their signage on Ninth Street. They are also hiring, so they will likely open very soon?

Credit: Winston Watchman

Credit: Rob G Ski

Courthouse Parking Deck:
A crane will arrive at the site on January 2 and precast work will be completed by February 28.

New Tech Company Headquarters in Downtown:
Tech company Imagination Spring has moved their headquarters to Bailey Power Plant in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District.

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
Frank L. Blum Construction and W.C. Construction Company will be the General Contractors for this project. Walter Robbs is the architect. Construction is expected to begin in Fall 2020, with completion in 2022.

An update on this craft brewery. Completion is expected early next year.

Novant Health Neurosciences & Spine Center: Built!
This project is now completed, holding its grand opening on Wednesday, December 4th.

New Headquarters in Downtown:
Fast growing investment firm Verger Capital moved its headquarters to downtown Winston-Salem.

The main structural demolition is set to take place over the next two months. Heavy equipment was brought-in around the first week of December for the structural demolition, which has already started. You can expect road and sidewalk closures, starting on Spruce Street. They will demolish the former Security Life & Trust Building in segments, to minimize the impact.

Credit: Winston Watchman

Hyphen Hops Brewing Company & Mixed-use:
This project will now include duckpin bowling. The unnamed restaurant and duckpin bowling establishment will cost $2 million to upfit the 10,000 square-foot space and it will be the only duckpin bowling establishment in the Triad area. Construction starts in January, with completion in October 2020. Fuller Architecture is the architect, but no GC was named at this time. This project also includes apartments, a craft brewery, winter ice skating, a sand beach, live music stage, and a beer garden.

Hoots Brewing Company on Trade: Built
This downtown craft brewery space is now completed.

Credit: hootsbeercompany

Credit: staceycb1

This sculpture (previously located at Fourth and Trade streets) is now relocated to this craft brewery's roof:

Credit: Stewart Knight

The view:

The view:

Top floor observation deck

Credit: WFIQ

U.S. Bicycle Route 80:
The City of Winston-Salem will begin construction in late-Summer or early-Fall 2020 on a 1.25 mile extension of the path around Salem Lake as part of this project. Federal funding will cover most of the cost.

Workers installing the arches for the suspension bridge for pedestrians and cyclists:

Salem Creek Greenway Extension:
Construction will begin in 2020 on this project, expected to be completed in 2021. Federal funding will cover up to 80% of the cost. The City has $1 million budgeted for the project. This greenway will connect another college to downtown for cyclists and pedestrians.

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem Projected to Lead the State in Hiring:
Winston-Salem is projected to lead all of North Carolina in hiring for the First Quarter of 2020, according to Manpower Inc.,. 1 out of every 3 employers in Winston-Salem expects to add jobs in the first quarter. Over the past year, Winston-Salem is third in North Carolina in net job growth.

Winston-Salem - 8th Hottest Housing Market:
MarketWatch has Winston-Salem ranked the 8th hottest housing market for 2020 and the only North Carolina city in the top 20, with fast growth in sales price and the number of home sales. As Winston-Salem develops into one of the nation's next tech centers, home sales and prices are on the rise.

Where The Jobs Will Be In 2020:
Forbes has ranked Winston-Salem 6th on the list of cities that will have the biggest job gains (best job markets) in 2020.

Winston-Salem is North Carolina's Safest City:
WalletHub has ranked Winston-Salem the safest city in North Carolina in its new 2019's Safest Cities in America study. 41 indicators of safety were examined in nearly 200 cities, nationwide. This is a great city to move your business or family to.

Credit: austinpdash

Your City

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 8:59 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

In this update, we have another downtown brewery proposed and more downtown hotel rooms proposed, including a new 8-9 storey hotel building, and entertainment center was the final use selected for the Twin City Motors Building! Where does "stop updating this thread" rank on my list of New Year Resolutions? #8 for 2020. It's late and I'm tired, so lets go!

The Security Life & Trust Building would like to send this out to D.H. Griffin Demolition Company:
Video Link

Bailey South:
The design changed. The windows on the west facade will be the same as those on the east facade. I like the change!

Credit: Aki Nakahira

Credit: andreaderflinger

Credit: anecessitytowander

Credit: john.mckeever.conductor

Credit: votechrissmith

A rare look at the north facade (building under construction on the far right side):

Credit: lightroomgirl

Moxy Hotel - Downtown:
Marriott has selected Winston-Salem as one of the cities for their urban Moxy Hotel flag. There are only 13 Moxy Hotels in the U.S., and this could be the first in North Carolina. Mayfair Street Partners will be the developer for this new hotel and ArchStudio7 will be the architect. Simon Burgess, at developer Mayfair Street Partners, said "It's an eclectic, modern brand geared for millennials." The developer closed on a site at 408-414 North Liberty Street for the new 8-9 storey downtown hotel with conference space. The site has two existing buildings, one from around 1880 and the other was constructed in 1913, and they will both be demolished for the new hotel. The hotel will wrap-around the historic O'Hanlon Building, located on the corner, and should be around the same height as the 9-storey O'Hanlon office building. Since the old Woolworth Building will be demolished for this new hotel, the hotel will have entrances on both Fourth and Liberty streets. They will use the Fourth Street (downtown's Restaurant Row) entrance for a tapas restaurant and will reuse Woolworth's lunch counter as part of the project. I'm guessing they may keep Woolworth Building's Fourth Street facade, incorporating it into the new building? They will demolish the Liberty Street facade. Hotel features: The lobby will have local art, a lounge, photo booth elevators, cocktails, a game room, and grab-and-go food items. This hotel will have tech-enabled everything, including keyless entry with your phone. Guests will check-in at the cocktail bar.

The two-storey buildings, with for sale signs on the right, will be demolished for the new hotel:

This hotel will open in March, according to Marriott. They have a few interior photographs!

Credit: Marriott

Main & Third:
This project is nearing completion.

Credit: unknown

Hyatt Place Hotel:
Construction on this project is set to begin this month and should take 20 months to complete, according to the developer. They have secured opportunity zone financing through Cabretta Capital.

Merschel Park:
The developer is in talks with the city on a stormwater and sewer plan and would like to begin construction on this underground parking deck, covered with a new privately-owned open-to-the-public park, this month.

Credit: m_h_griffith

Courthouse Parking Deck:
It does appear as if this will be a separate structure and not an addition to the existing parking deck on the site. You can see an alley between the under construction parking deck and the existing parking deck. It is visible in this aerial, posted below. It also appears as if this deck will be taller than the parking deck currently on the site?

Credit: griff_philosophy

An aerial view from December 31:

Credit: JAS Photography

Wake Forest School of Engineering Expansion:
Whiting Turner is the GC for this project, which will expand the downtown (IQ District) Engineering School with four floors of upfits. They have started permitting.

Efird Block Restoration:

Credit: i_am_dylann

Winston Junction:
Sayso Coffee has signed a lease at Winston Junction. LMI Builders will upfit the space.

Radar Brewing Company: Built!
This new craft brewery held a soft opening on January 1. It is now completed and open! Interesting features include a 27 foot / 8.25 metre bar and tables made from old bowling alley lanes. The opening featured 12 beers, including a Belgian golden, Belgian saison, Belgian double, American stout, session IPA, and India Pale lager. This craft brewery has 20 taps. As was posted earlier, this brewery is unique in North Carolina for its use of positive pressure and open fermentation. It's also one of the few breweries in downtown that doesn't appear to allow dogs? A growing number of people are looking for breweries that don't have dogs everywhere, so this is a great option for them. It may have something to do with a restaurant opening in the connected multi-building complex? Breweries with restaurants can't allow dogs inside and this brewery is connected by a glass doorway to the under construction hotel and restaurant next to it. It's on Ninth Street in downtown.

You can see the glass doorway that connects the brewery to the hotel & restaurant under construction in a neighboring building:

Credit: Lorne Kerley

I suspect that glass doorway is why dogs aren't allowed?

A coolship for open fermentation beers (You can watch the brewing process through large windows):

Credit: nc_beer_pride

Credit: yestowinstonsalem

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Frank L. Blum Construction held an outreach meeting to increase woman-owned and minority-owned business participation in the demolition phase of this new downtown museum project. They were looking for pre-qualifications from site demolition and soil shoring contractors at the Third Street site. Their target bid date is early-February 2020. Demolition is expected to begin in early-April 2020, starting work on this project. Yes, this project will be constructed with the project below.

Liberty Park:
Frank L. Blum Construction held an outreach meeting to increase woman-owned and minority-owned business participation in the demolition phase of this new downtown park project. They were looking for pre-qualifications from site demolition and soil shoring contractors at the Third & Liberty streets site. Their target bid date is early-February 2020. Demolition is expected to begin in early-April 2020, starting work on this project. Yes, this project will be constructed with the project above.

Hotel Indigo Expansion:
Downtown's new Hotel Indigo is so successful, they are planning a 50+ room ground-up construction expansion along Fourth Street. This will be a new construction addition to the Art Deco building and will hide the rough-looking west facade. ArchStudio7 is the architect. Construction could begin in early-2020.

The expansion will be constructed next to the Art Deco Hotel Indigo (on the left, behind "rty St" on the Liberty St. sign) and will front the new park:

Credit: danielumlauf

Demolishing the former Security Life & Trust Headquarters, built in 1951 as North Carolina's first Modernist office building. A large apartment building with ground floor retail space will replace it.

Credit: jonlowder13

Credit: tlburriss

Credit: timrossland

Credit: childoftheivy

Credit: camfair.1

Credit: JAS Photography

Fearless Downtown Pop-up Space:
Fearless, a Winston-Salem-based collaborative collective and social community for and by women, will open a downtown pop-up space for women-owned small businesses interested in opening in downtown Winston-Salem. It will be rent-free for a month and allow them to see if their idea for a downtown business is feasible.

Sentinel Commons:

Signage installation:

Video Link

Joyner's Bar (Flatiron Building):
Did you know: This building was constructed in 1892 with bricks and building materials taken from the 1868 Male Academy Building? Yes, all of the bricks were carefully taken apart and moved to this site for use in this building. It accelerated the construction of this building.

Bright red building on the right:

Credit: thatsacting1957

Railroad Building Restoration:
It is now confirmed. GBX Group is acquiring this property and will update it, while keeping the original facade and historic architectural details.

Credit: kingchef

Mayfair Street Partners has partnered with GBX Group to buy the Twin City Motors Building (former Ford Assembly Plant and Dealership) and restore it. This $10 million entertainment project has three floors and a rooftop space. It rises three floors above Main Street and two floors above Liberty Street with entrances on both sides, providing street-level entrances on two floors. The Main Street entrance, on the lowest floor, will have a conference/event space, The Mayfair Club "after hours" lounge, and back-of-house operations. The Liberty Street entrance, on the second floor, will have a food hall, an Uno Pizzeria & Grill (Chicago deep dish pizza), and a new craft brewery called Mayfair Street Brewing Company. The third floor will have a large restaurant & bar with golf simulators and 12 lanes of duckpin bowling. You will have to make reservations for the bowling and golf. The rooftop will have a bar with heated igloos in the winter. Joseph Correll was hired as the food & beverage director for the Twin City Motors project. According to the developer, this is expected to be a regional destination. Construction is scheduled to begin in March 2020, with a partial opening in December 2020.

110 South Broad Street:

It's a very large building...

Credit: Samantha Worley

Credit: Matt Hind

Stevens Center Renovation:
This is a great time of the year to see the inside. None of the restoration work has started, at this time. The building was the victim of a bad renovation around 40 years ago and the proposed restoration and technology updates are great news.

Credit: andreebowen4wscity

Credit: glennfulk

Credit: edoardoinnc

Credit: brianchristopherjones

Salem Parkway:
The Cherry Street, Marshall Street, and Brookstown Avenue bridges will open this month.

Robert Hall:
This is the under construction hotel, restaurant, and conference center connected to Radar Brewing by the doorway.

The Art Deco Al Capone Bar:

401 West End Blvd:
This project was redesigned since we last saw it. LMI Builders is still the developer. Evergreen Hill Studio is now the architect. Three tenants (Lavender & Honey Kitchen, Fiddle & Fig Home Decor, and a hair salon) have pre-leased at the site, which is an adaptive-reuse project. The developer will keep some of the original stone cladding.

Credit: LMI Builders

500 West 5th:
Tokyn Games (phone gaming app) is the newest tenant in 500 West 5th.

I never realized how awesome this building's design is:

Credit: winstonstarts

An interesting view of it:

Credit: jake_tennyson

Portrait Project:
Completion for this large public art project is scheduled for Summer 2020.

St. Timothy's Church Renovation:
This is an existing Cram & Ferguson designed church building that will undergo a major renovation. We've previously seen renderings, in this thread, of the work planned. This is a look at the construction documents.

Credit: sttimothys

Science & Office Building:

A rare update on this project!

Credit: commerciallightning

Still working on the storefronts:

Credit: kingchef

Pilot Mountain Shuttle:
Due to the growing popularity of Pilot Mountain State Park and attempts to take dramatic Winston-Salem skyline photographs and sunsets, for social media, from the top, the State of North Carolina will offer a first of its kind shuttle to the top. No other State park in North Carolina has its own shuttle. On weekends and holidays, from 11 a.m., to 6 p.m., when thousands of cars can create backups of an hour or more, the park won't allow any cars within the park and will require all visitors to use the shuttle. A $4 million visitors center, with exhibition and meeting space, will also open in early Spring 2020.

Video Link

The bike & pedestrian suspension bridge on the skyline:

Credit: Samantha Worley

Off-Subject:

This is a library, in one of Winston-Salem's largest mansions, that is over a century old... WOW, look at that ceiling!

Credit: wyrd_turtle

This is the view from Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: camelcitylight

A residence above a storefront:

Credit: eliz.hoerner

Credit: cmatthews87

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Your City

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support the businesses sharing photographs used in this thread.

Are you ready for a MASSIVE Bailey South update, including interior views! We also have construction photographs for several projects we've never had photograph updates for!

D.H. Griffin Demolition is sending this one out to the Security Life & Trust Building:
Video Link

Wow! That looks very dated! I was born a year before that song was on the charts, so it is old. Very 80s though!

Bailey South:

A nice view from inside:

View from the third floor:

Remember that big staircase? They are called stadium stairs! I love these creative and tech company spaces:

Credit: bradleypippins

Credit: ak_spinks

Credit: matthewdoran

Do I see a stage at the end of the "Stadium Stairs" feature?

Credit: bradleypippins

Credit: romitsarkar

The west facade, as seen from the Low Line:

Credit: tobaccoroadpurveyors

A look at the 1926 retail/restaurant building's interior and restoration progress:

Credit: ivana_nikolov88

Almost finished with these windows on the top three floors of the six-storey office addition:

Credit: ivana_nikolov88

A smaller, but less obstructed view:

Credit: brittanymichellefit

We should be close to seeing glazing on this part of the building!

Credit: hannah_barnhardt

Main & Third:
This project is nearly completed!

Credit: aaronxyoung

Hyatt Place Hotel:
Work has restarted at this project. Not many workers around, but a plumbing contractor is there.

Credit: crista.escoto

MINIM:
Mayberry Ice Cream Restaurant and Brothers Pizza have leased 100% of the retail space. Mayberry signed a five year lease at the Patton / Realty Building, which is the historic office building the developer proposed incorporating into the larger new building. The Patton Realty Building was built in 1922. This (Mayberry) location will have more than just their usual ice cream and will serve lunch and dinner. Expect a few items on the menu that aren't at their other locations, since this is downtown and is Winston-Salem's Restaurant Row.

The signage is installed and exterior lighting is now turned-on, but the signage is still dark.

Signage installed:

Credit: kylied

Exterior lighting around the observation deck:

Merschel Park:

Performance Place Renovation: Built!
This nearly 700 seat theatre renovation project was completed months ago. We never had any construction updates on this project and I didn't know it was under construction.

Davidson County Courthouse Expansion:
Finally, an update on this project! It's a few weeks old. I think they topped-out this building earlier this month?

Credit: supportservices8

Credit: supportservices8

Credit: warffordandco

Interstate 74:
This is a project we rarely talk about here, because I can't find any photographs of it. Interstate 74 will connect Winston-Salem to Indianapolis and Cincinnati to the north and Myrtle Beach to the south. I think there are four mainline Interstates in Winston-Salem and two three-digit spurs?

This segment is almost completed:

Credit: tim_roland

Cloverdale Redevelopment:
This project has changed from the earlier renderings posted here. To prevent the City and neighborhood from stopping their plans to replace historic Art Moderne affordable apartment units with new luxury apartments, they redesigned the project to match the existing zoning and this redesign won't require any changes to the streets. They also removed the office and retail part of the project to avoid rezoning. Without a rezoning or street changes, there is nothing the city can do to stop it. This project will increase the number of apartment units at the site by 20-25%, so the new apartment development will increase density. The developers won't demolish Ardmore Terrace, at least for now, and will keep those historic Art Moderne buildings. Residents of Cloverdale Terrace must move-out by March 5, with demolition set for this spring. The developer will return all deposits and provide $200 to assist with relocation. It should be interesting to see the redesign.

The Easley Apartments:
DPJ Residential has hired RCI Demolition to clear the site. Yes, they are ready to start work!

We now have one of the four floor plans and a few renderings of this proposed project. We also know the rooftop bar's igloos will glow at night, as an art feature on the roof. Fox 8 said the developer would like to start construction next month and WXII said the developer will start construction in March?

I see multiple bars and a stage for live music on the ground floor plan (opening to Main Street):

Credit: Mayfair Street Partners

Sports simulators:

Games:

Bowling:

Credit: Spectrum

Casper's Ale House Windows, to be preserved:

Credit: Fox 8

International food hall, with food from six different countries offered:

Touring the building with the developers:

Credit: WXII

New Park Space:
The Piedmont Land Conservancy has raised the money needed to buy the development rights and preserve 92 of the 212 acres of land from future development. They still need $1.4 million to build trails in the new park, which are expected to open in Fall 2020. This massive undeveloped property, only one mile (1.6 kilometres) from downtown, makes Winston-Salem unique in North Carolina. The Piedmont Land Conservancy has never worked on an urban project like this and believe it is the only opportunity of its kind in the state. No other city in the state has anything like this, according to Kevin Redding of the Piedmont Land Conservancy. The site was originally assembled to relocate Trinity College (known today as Duke University) to Winston-Salem, but that didn't happen. It later became Davis Military Academy and when the academy closed, it became a state Methodist orphanage. That is how this massive undeveloped site near downtown came to be.

An update on this new craft brewery.

West Academy Apartments:
Remediation work is completed and EME Industrial was hired to demolish the hotel at the site. Work on demolishing the structure started January 7. PCCI is the apartment developer.

Credit: unknown?

Credit: Shane Smith

Credit: Egger

Muse Winston-Salem:
The museum is preparing to install signage and museum office workers will move-in next month, but the museum won't open until next year. Construction on museum exhibits is set to start around April 2020. The museum will have several galleries used for changing exhibits, hands-on activities, spaces for performances and lectures, and it will feature augmented and virtual reality. Also, look for a recording studio to record oral history.

Radar Brewing Company: Built!

This craft brewery was posted as completed in the last update, but I wanted to show the sign installation:

Salem Parkway:
Salem Parkway will connect downtown Winston-Salem with Chicagoland / Lake Michigan to the north and the Wilmington area, on the North Carolina coast, to the south. The NCDOT installed signage and announced the new highway's exit numbers.

Signage:

Credit: Mr. Jincks

Wyndham Garden Hotel - Airport:
The 9-storey building at 531 Akron Dr., at Smith Reynolds Airport (INT), will be renovated into a Wyndham Garden Hotel and Conference Center. This is a significant renovation, but few details are available at this time. Completion is set for October 2020.

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Efird Block Restoration:
The developer secured all permits needed. We should see progress, soon!

When demolition workers attempted to pull-down a wall of steel on the former Security Life & Trust Building, things didn't go as planned and stone and (some said) glass on a neighboring skyscraper was damaged. It's a reminder of how dangerous demolition can be.

Credit: jaydxn_photography

Credit: opera_iso

Credit: opera_iso

Credit: fraserk109

It damaged the stone cladding and exposed the structural steel on the neighboring skyscraper:

Notice the damaged area is now covered (I don't see any covered windows?):

This backstage area will be expanded to the north in the proposed renovation:

Credit: _kaitlin_davis_

Sentinel Commons:
Progress at the new Gemcap Headquarters. They have already started moving-in.

Credit: loganmcadamstattoo

Credit: theequinsuocha

A night view of the under construction storefronts:

Credit: calvinray_reece

It's clearly visible under the small arch:

This is where the bicycle flyover ramp is shown in NCDOT renderings:

Credit: hopemharris

Work is slowing on this project, as the NCDOT focuses on finishing Salem Parkway. It is likely this project won't be completed until after Salem Parkway opens.

Land Bridge and Oliver Cycling Park projects:

Credit: robinsonparkmgmt

An update on this suspension bridge project:

Hanger One - Aerospace Innovation Hub:
As part of a goal of establishing 250 thriving startup businesses, Winston Starts and Venture Cafe will create a new aerospace innovation hub called Hanger One. This hub is part of their effort to narrow the city's focus areas for new startups and build on the city's existing assets and what makes Winston-Salem different from other North Carolina metro areas. Aerospace is one of five areas they are focusing on. As part of this, they will recruit startups in these five focus areas, including aerospace, to create the five emerging innovation hubs. A big part of this will be equity-free grants to relocate early-stage businesses, their founders, and a majority of their employees to Winston-Salem. At this time, I don't know if they will build a new hanger or renovate an existing hanger for Hanger One, but this is an exciting project to follow! And the tech boom continues!

Low Line:

Installing the handrails (Friday 1/10):

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem is Second in North Carolina in Research / Tech Concentration:
As complex economic activities, such as research, innovation, and advanced industry, concentrate disproportionally in just a few cities, Winston-Salem appears to be emerging as one of those leading cities, in a recent Nature study on human behavior. Notice many of the people behind the big developments above say downtown's IQ District was the reason for their big investments and the locations they selected.

Winston-Salem Leads North Carolina in Home Price Growth:
According to CoreLogic, Winston-Salem had the highest increase in home prices and led the state in home price growth. There is concern Winston-Salem's rapidly rising home prices may prevent some millennials from being able to afford a house, but it does create a downtown apartment boom that we've seen in this thread.

Home Price Growth:
Winston-Salem: 5.7%
Charlotte: 5.2%
Raleigh: 4.1%
Durham: 3.9%
Greensboro: 3.1%

Random Photographs:

Credit: bvrtholomew

Credit: zenwwc

Your City

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:49 PM

Great updates as usual!

One question: what do you mean by Salem Parkway connecting Winston to Chicago?

From the tech growth/housing market, it seems people are finally catching onto the city’s potential. It probably helps that a lot of younger professionals would probably prefer a city like Winston—with some history and character—to the giant office park that is the Research Triangle (not to say the cities there are boring, though).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Winston-Salem's days as the state's largest, densest, and wealthiest city gave this city so many amazing neighborhoods, beautiful buildings, and things that really help this city stand-out. Saving so much of its Colonial / Early-American history also helps. Combine this with other assets, like Wake Forest University, UNCSA, a university research medical center, noteworthy galleries & museums, arts at the level of a much larger city, and all of the research & technology/arts/healthcare jobs they bring here, this city has what it needs to attract talent, retain it, and grow. I've heard getting people to move here is as easy as talking them into visiting and the arts are used like other cities would use their sports teams.

Salem Parkway is now shielded and I followed the shield to see where it goes. Winston-Salem seems to be the Midwest's gateway to the Carolina Coast. If you're on your way to the Carolina beaches from many major Midwest cities, you will likely pass-through Winston-Salem. This likely dates back to the city's days as one of the top 25 industrial centers, connecting to the major cities to the north and the ports to the south and east. This city was competing with Birmingham and Richmond for the title of Southeast's top industrial center. Winston-Salem had the largest inland port (where downtown's IQ District is now) and was the leader in railroad revenue. Winston-Salem was the most profitable stop on Southern Railway's system.

I'm not sure if this has ever happened in the history of this thread, but I found so many photographs of Bailey South, I had to remove some of them! I thought it was too many. Here are some of the photographs removed.

Bailey South - EXTRAS!

The west facade (back side):

Credit: stacy_in_winston_

This is an older photograph from December 2019:

Credit: loganmcadamstattoo

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:42 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Winston-Salem: Emerging Major Biopharma Hub! Another proposed craft brewery? Salem Parkway open to traffic! This is a BIG update!

Video Link

Bailey South:

Back (West) side:

Credit: marcusalexanderhill

Staircase to the rooftop amenity level, on the southeast corner:

Constructing that staircase:

Retail extension:

Stadium Stairs:

Preparing to clad the two-storey retail expansion (Tuesday 1/28):

Stair rail:

Repairing spalling concrete on the 1926 power plant building (retail floors):

Credit: elizabeth_ullery_swenson

West facade cladding progress (Thursday 1/30):

Repairing the spalling concrete on the 1926 power plant building (The historic 1926 concrete building is all retail floors):

Credit: mook.original

I'm guessing Bailey South's 6-storey office building expansion will have Thyssenkrupp elevators? Their truck is parked at the site, in the photograph above.

Forum member Native Camel, at the WSTB Forum, is reporting the rooftop observation deck and bar will be called "Top of 4th." The sign is installed.

Credit: wildbirdofsunnyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum
Hyatt Place Hotel:
According to a Hyatt press release, from January 28, the developer has signed a contract with Hyatt.

Credit: triadfoodpics

Credit: mbcreativemktg

Merschel Park:

Credit: ajdwilliams

Main & Third:

A rare view of the east facade (on the right):

Credit: matthew_mbru

Courthouse Parking Deck:
A crane is at the site and the concrete panels for this parking deck are rising. I don't think this site has retail or design requirements, since it's the government district?

Credit: concretesolutionsjhs

Threshing Floor Brewing Company:
Are you ready for another craft brewery? Threshing Floor Brewing Company is Winston-Salem's newest craft brewery. They are relocating from Seattle to Winston-Salem. "We, at Threshing Floor Brewing, seek to create an environment for authentic community while providing aggressively delicious ales." The owners and brewery employees will remain the same. They will keep their name and artwork, but will introduce a few new beers with both Pacific Northwest and local Winston-Salem-area ingredients.

Since this brewery is moving to Winston-Salem from Seattle, you can already try some of their beers, if you're interested:

Credit: threshingfloorbrewingco

1245 Ivy Avenue:
An update on the Albert Kahn-designed downtown Art Deco building.

Their new bar:

Credit: thewarehouseonivy

I guess 1920s-themed parties/events will become popular now?

Credit: stabler.shoots

Credit: stabler.shoots

Credit: glennfulk

North Patterson Retail:
This project is now under construction! It will transform this stretch of neighborhood retail. From what other SSP forum members have said, it's rare to find historic neighborhood retail buildings, like these, in the South. It's great to see these historic storefronts renovated! Someone please restore the old movie theatre on the street behind these buildings.

110 South Broad Street:

Credit: drlewh

I think the exterior restoration is now completed, but the landscaping is very rough. We are now waiting on the new construction addition on the north facade. I don't think many people know they are constructing an addition on the building as part of this project.

Credit: macronature11

Credit: comity4all

Summit Street Apartments & Retail:

Credit: harperclark

West Academy Apartments:
Workers are still demolishing the existing buildings at the site, before work can start on this mid-rise apartment and retail project.

Demolishing a 1960s hotel/motel at the site:

Credit: Shane Smith

The opening for this building is now set for Fall 2020. Recruiting has started for leadership roles.

Winston Junction:

Credit: awarehotyoganc

An update on Aware Hot Yoga's new space:

Credit: awarehotyoganc

WFBH Eye Institute:
We should know more before the end of next month, on this downtown IQ District project.

Credit: matthew_mbru

1815 John Blum House Restoration:
The restoration of this 205 year old house is moving slowly...

Credit: aidahbuljina

815 North Trade Office Building:
This office and retail building, in downtown's Arts District, now has permits and is ready to start construction. Landmark Builders will be the General Contractor.

Sentinel Commons:

An update on Pressworks Coworking Space:

Credit: miro.designs_

An update on Pressworks Coworking Space:

Credit: miro.designs_

Salem Parkway:
This project is now open to traffic, during the day, but it's still under construction and will be closed at night. NCDOT said they may have six more months of work remaining, but they can open it while they complete this work.

Salem Parkway should have a nice view of the skyline:

Credit: Mark Owens

Signage installation:

Final pavement layer and markings before it opens to traffic (Friday 1/31):

Semans Building:
This is a new performing arts project I didn't know about and it's already under construction. It will have a recording studio, rehearsal spaces, multipurpose performance spaces, drama & dance offices, seminar rooms, conference rooms, an event space that can be used for meetings and receptions, and office space. They are also working on plans for a second phase that will take advantage of the site's topography to add an outdoor amphitheatre and they will improve the site's landscaping. Award-winning Szostak Design is the architect and Davie Construction is the General Contractor. Completion is set for Fall 2020.

Rendering:

Credit: Szostak Design

Yes, it's under construction:

Credit: steven_w_gallagher

The car and history display was removed, in preparation for construction:

Credit: _jv_designs_

Credit: _jv_designs_

The Easley Apartments:

Demolition has started at this roughly 100 year old gas station:

This project will be completed in Fall of this year.

Credit: FTCC

Credit: liz.hoerner

I'm guessing everything is completed except for the storefronts and part of the corner tower?

Credit: loganmcadamsphoto

Credit: ilseschaeffner

A look at the retail spaces (and the contact information, if you would like to lease a space):

Credit: image360wsn

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge & Oliver Cycling Park:

Credit: bakinglawyer

Low Line:

An aerial view of the Low Line:

As you can see, the Low Line is at a higher elevation than the second floor retail spaces at Bailey South. Steps will connect the building's second floor to the Low Line.

Credit: prismo.exe

Another update on this suspension bridge project:

A ballpark parking deck is proposed on the left side of the bridges and a 7-storey PIU dormitory/university project is proposed on the right side of the bridges:

Cake, anyone?

Credit: inxwell

The truck on the path provides scale:

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem is an Emerging Biopharma Hub:
Contract Pharma is reporting a new site selection study from The Boyd Company has Winston-Salem and Montreal as the leading cities to become the next biopharma hubs. The site selector is quoted as saying "we expect Winston-Salem to emerge, as a real hub, in the months and years to come." Winston-Salem was selected as the leading emerging biopharma hub due to the business climate, favorable operating costs, the companies located here, Wake Forest University's downtown medical school, downtown's IQ District, and that presence of that intellectual capital. The site selector was also quoted as saying "we expect (Winston-Salem) to become a real major global player.

WOW! They expect Winston-Salem to become a real major global player! And it sounds as if they expect it to happen in the very near future!

Random Photographs:

Credit: cncimagery

Credit: cncimagery

Credit: shaecreative

Light snowfall at Dough Joe's doughnuts:

Credit: lindawn_3

Credit: flufhtography

Credit: liz.hoerner

Your City

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:47 AM

So much to be excited about. I can't believe how quickly Industry Hill is being transformed. Seems like there's a lot planned north of 9th St. If they can make crossing MKL feel more like crossing 4th, it seems on course to become a true, connected part of downtown, especially with the development that's happening just south of MLK.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 2:20 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Hi Lauren! Yes, I am!
Video Link

Bailey South:
Workers have started on the brick facade and are now installing the framework for the two walls of glass. The developer said we should see glass soon on the two walls of glass! Very exciting! The area that will have the two walls of glass is still covered, to keep the cold wind and rain/snow out. We finally have more details on The Red Elephant Restaurant. This farm-to-table restaurant will have two bars, an open kitchen, and sharable food. You can enjoy the 1926 power plant's architectural details in their massive indoor seating area for 130, including a private dining room, or you can sit outside on a 2,700 square foot patio with a view of Bailey Park and the park's waterfall. Chef Travis Myers won Chef of the Year from the North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association, so the food should be amazing! It will open with the office building in June. Can you believe this project will be completed in roughly four months!

Cladding the retail extension and a rare view of this laneway / alley:

Cladding the retail expansion:

Credit: dellalawson

Credit: i_atm_i

A rare angle you don't see very often:

Credit: color_palette_journal

A really nice update from the developer (Friday 2/14):

Credit: frontstreetcapital

This covered area will become a wall of glass, very soon! If you look closely, you can see the framing for the glass behind the covering:

Hyatt Place Hotel:
I did see two work vans at the site, but (as usual) there is no visible progress.

Credit: f22silversurfer

Merschel Park:
The Public Art Commission has decided to reject the finalist proposal and start over. They want artwork that celebrates women and want to make this clear in the next request for proposals.

Credit: walkingintothingsinws

Main & Third:
This project could be completed? I'm looking for something official that says it's completed.

Facade lighting (it's on at least two sides - North & East facades):

Credit: garlonball

The Easley Apartments:

Demolition of an office building and two retail buildings for the new luxury apartment building:

Credit: tlburriss

Courthouse Parking Deck:

Credit: brett1125

Office workers have already started moving into their new office building. The company has already hired 225 people and have another 125 job openings, if you're interested. There are several more phases to this project, with full employment expected to reach 770 workers.

110 South Broad Street:

Credit: votechrissmith

Muse Winston-Salem:

This is a great adaptive-reuse of a former Federal Building:

Credit: MUSE Winston-Salem

310 West 7th Apartments:
This project is now ready to seek demolition permits. We should see work at the site very soon!

500 West 5th:
I haven't heard anything on the Renfro Headquarters since my last report. It is confirmed: The developer, renovating this building, is holding floors for them.

Credit: justinbritt00

Credit: oneistheworld

850 North Trade Street:
Perkins has finished acquisition of the last produce warehouse in downtown's produce district. The area is being rebranded as a mixed-use entertainment/retail/restaurant district called Industry Hill.

Dave McNair Mastering:
Grammy Award-winning Dave McNair is building Dave McNair Mastering at 801 North Main Street in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District. He is one of the best, with several gold records and Grammy Awards, and has worked with some of the biggest music stars. The new studio is for a new company (launching with superstar talent) and is expected to bring more new creative jobs to downtown. Many of the new jobs are already filled by talent from the Austin and Los Angeles areas moving to downtown Winston-Salem. Northward Acoustics in Brussels, Belgium is the renovation architect for the building. They are the best designers. Yes, this is now under construction. We will follow the construction if I find updates.

Credit: mcsnare

Renderings from the famous Northward Acoustics:

Credit: northward_acoustics

Interstate 74:
Another part of Interstate 74 will open in May 2020. For some reason, they are building this in disconnected segments.

West Academy Apartments:

Demolition progress for this new mid-rise apartment and retail development:

This city does have interesting and rough terrain!

MINIM:
Brother's Pizza is now confirmed as a retail tenant, with an opening around April 1. They are trying to open in late-March, if they can.

Credit: ngada

Credit: gdogtaylor

Credit: tim_hutch

C & C Gourmet Market / 215 Broad:
This Mid-century Modern building in downtown's Village District will become a high-end gourmet market called C & C Market & Goods with a high-end butcher shop, wine shop, a bakery and deli, and a separate elegant dining space called Cleave & Cork. I guess that is where the C & C is from? Look for grab-and-go foods, quick meals that you can take with you, like sandwiches, poke bowls, soup and baked goods. Everything will be as local as possible, from Winston-Salem area farms. The butcher shop will have the best local seafood and pork products, chicken from Joyce Farms, as well as local beef. The fine dining restaurant will focus on small sharable plates and take advantage of the gourmet grocery store in the building for fresh and local items. This project is currently in the interior demolition phase and will soon enter the construction phase.

Winston Junction:

Hiring for non-office positions begins in August or September of 2020. Amazon will work with the United Way of Forsyth County and the Winston-Salem Urban League to fill the jobs.

Credit: Alliance Triad

Forsyth County Courthouse:
County leaders are looking into adding an iconic piece of artwork at the new courthouse. The new building will start construction in Fall 2020 and may open in 2023.

Salem Parkway:

Credit: jimlarosee

Snowy weekend view:

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
Plumbing work has started for Cook Medical Devices' space. Frank L. Blum Construction is the General Contractor for this project.

Semans Building:

Credit: szostakdesign

New Downtown Elementary School:
The Winston-Salem Forsyth County School System has completed core sampling at the site for downtown's third elementary school, at Patterson Avenue and Twelfth Street (Industry Hill), and now they are waiting on results from the lab. A meeting on Tuesday will allow the community to discuss the building design. That sounds like they have already decided on this site in downtown? The school system studied an adaptive-reuse of the former Thomasville Furniture Factory for this school and found it was cheaper to build new, so they may buy the building and demolish it for a new school? The school system also has an option for 7.8 additional acres for sports fields or educational building(s). I wish the school system would keep the Thomasville Furniture Factory and build the new school to the south of it. That would allow a developer to convert it to large 2-4 bedroom apartments or condominiums and take advantage of having a school on the same block. It's interesting to see the growing number of young families living in downtown. When will they build a new high school in downtown?

Sentinel Commons:

An update on GEMCAP's new downtown headquarters at Sentinel Commons mixed-use project:

Efird Block Restoration:

Most of the work is happening on the interior spaces, like this restored pressed-tin ceiling:

Credit: karenfridy

Progress on the storefronts:

Credit: triadhaus

Snow falling:

Credit: jifs.jpg

Looking down on the storefront progress (Friday 2/14):

Still need to finish the brick wall on the left:

Credit: frankwsnc

Walking to the suspension bridge project:

Credit: mackenzieforthesouthward

Credit: lauderjo

The City is applying for a grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies to create artistic crosswalks along the north-south bike and walking path in downtown.

Credit: sheryllong

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The City of Winston-Salem will reduce the number of lanes on Sixth Street to one lane in each direction. They will convert the removed lanes to bicycle lanes and a pedestrian island. Pedestrians and cyclists living along this street have requested these changes. Construction on the "road diet" could begin in early-Fall 2020.

Low Line:

Off-Subject:

Yes, a protest against eating meat!

Credit: yesveganjess

Credit: camelcitymassage

Credit: the_eccentric_south

Credit: chelsearenay

Rainy Day (Monday 2/10):

Credit: dellalawson

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations