HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:25 PM
Look at me!

Sim City 4 - Buildings

Ok I got a region with 6 cities, including the rivaling cities of Theroux (pop 250,000) and Rommheim (300,000). But I feel that unlike sim city 3000 (which by the way was a superior game) sc4 seriously lacks highrise landmarks.

Simple, how exactly do I acquire unique highrises, do I download them off some site (simtropolis?). I suck with computers and the last thing I want is to go through a complicated process! Can any of you guys send me the skyscrapers for Theroux and Rommheim?????? !!!!!!! thanks.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:01 PM

First of all you should make your city attractive (parks, schools, police dep. etc). when alot of people and businesses want to come to your city theyll evantually build taller buildings, but sometimes it can take very long till that happens.

If you want to place highrises yourself you can download them from simtropolis for example. But youll definitly need a programm named winrar (or winzip) because the files are mostly copromised (that means that they make the files smaller so you can downlaod them faster). To use the downloaded file you have to open it with winrar and extract (Put the file back to its original size) the file to a folder called plugins in your simcity4 folder which is located somewhere in your documents. After putting your new buildings in that folder just start up sc4 and look under landmarks and there theyll be.

Many buildings you download come with a readme where you are told step by step what to do. some you just have to click on and theyll install automatically.

i hope that wasnt too much info at once

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkie View Post
First of all you should make your city attractive (parks, schools, police dep. etc). when alot of people and businesses want to come to your city theyll evantually build taller buildings, but sometimes it can take very long till that happens.
Done a while ago. The city's perfect, except I want all the cool buildings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkie View Post
If you want to place highrises yourself you can download them from simtropolis for example. But youll definitly need a programm named winrar (or winzip) because the files are mostly copromised (that means that they make the files smaller so you can downlaod them faster). To use the downloaded file you have to open it with winrar and extract (Put the file back to its original size) the file to a folder called plugins in your simcity4 folder which is located somewhere in your documents. After putting your new buildings in that folder just start up sc4 and look under landmarks and there theyll be.
Many buildings you download come with a readme where you are told step by step what to do. some you just have to click on and theyll install automatically.

i hope that wasnt too much info at once [/QUOTE]

thanks, and how does one go about 'downloading' winrar or winzip?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

install this so you can take full region shots of yer city
http://www.pointdouglas.com/simcity%...n%20census.exe

like this click for larger ver

as for buildings yea check out simtropolis and sc4devotion and remember to and the readmes and download all the needed dependancies for obeject and such for the buildings... or you may wind up with a bunch of box's

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
and how does one go about 'downloading' winrar or winzip?
go here: http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_down...567434&v=3600&

and click on the blue botton that says "zum download", a window will appear and click on open. After the files are downloaded the instalation will start.

Its in german so ill tell you what to click:

1."Installieren" (install)
2.then youll be able to check several options. leave it all as it is and click on "ok".
3."fertig" (finish)

after this is done you can use the programm. This is a free test version of winrar so after a while youll get a message when opening. just close it and youll be able to use it as long as you want

so when youve downloaded a building you can now open it by just double clicking on the file (or right click, then open with, then winrar).

have fun building your cities!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:06 AM
Look at me!

THank you all but I've got to admit I've failed at all attempts to install these programs.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:23 AM
I am a typical

If you have Window's XP, you can unzip .zip files by right clicking and choosing "extract files", or choose "explore" and drag and drop items into another unzipped folder. It takes a bit longer but you don't have to install anything.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:44 PM
Green Man

Check it out, i became very proficient at this. Keep in mind for a few different things when downloading buildings. You Download a building but when you read the building description and realize that it may Require a "Dependency". A Dependency is another file that is a tile set that may add such things as flowers in Plaza's, Water effects, etc etc.

KEEP IN MIND: DOWNLOADING BUILDINGS CONSUMES MEMORY! IF YOUR COMPUTER CANNOT HANDLE IT, PLAYING SC4 WILL TAKE A PERFORMANCE HIT!!!

You have a couple options here, the easy way out is to donate money to Simtropolis and get there STEX Collection Disk, Thats Easy.

The other way is more time consuming but you know what you are getting(and its free) and that is downloading each individual building. You may want to open a wordpad file and keep track what you have. I will tell you how i break it down:

1. All files will go into your SC folder in My Documents- I forget what folder it is exactly but its pretty obvious.

2. Then i will create a Dependency file, and Building File. With each building or depency you download, create a file for it

Ex. I downloaded the Wegmans Grocery store building, so i will create a Wegmans folder in my SC folder.

3. You can also become a bit more meticulous by creating Residential folders, Commercial folders, etc etc.

also Some Files you download, you will not need to make a folder for because the creator already did.

Look at the Simtropolis Forum for questions regarding Nighttime lighting on created buildings, dependencies, any question you may have.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 3:27 AM
New Yorker

I have a question, I have built a city of 500,000 people and it does great commercially, not once have I seen the round building with the orange pyramid top on the cover in the game. The same goes for the round building with the dark green top and the building with the slanted top next to the two round buildings I have just described. Every other building on the cover I have seen. Are these 3 kool buildings in the game?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 3:57 AM

^ I've wondered the same thing because on the back of the cover, it shows at least one of the Caifornia Plaza towers from Los Angeles, but I haven't found it anywhere...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 11:50 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You have a couple options here, the easy way out is to donate money to Simtropolis and get there STEX Collection Disk, Thats Easy.
I did this a few months ago but the discs don't work. Vol. 1 did for a while, I got the first 2 pages of buildings off of it, but now it no longer reads either. When I get home I'll try them on another computer, but it's still a bit of a piss-off.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Awesome! I'll have to try it out tonight.

Okay, is there a way I can put stations on GLR lines rather than building a ramp to elevated stations all over the place? Otherwise GLR is quite useless.

Last edited by Ayreonaut; Feb 5, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 1:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres glr stations check the stex or pop in the st chat

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art