HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 3:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting....

yea its an early shot... i hope they leav room for loads of custom mods work in this version so we can contiue the great things that have happend in sc4

i think they need to set the dificulty based on how complex you want to be able to play the game......

but also i think ea should bring back streets of simcity sim copter and do somthing like they did with simcity 2000..........

Last edited by 1ajs; Jun 6, 2007 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 4:15 AM

Personally I did not enjoy playing with The Sims in SC4 and thus chose to not use that function. As long as SCS still gives me lots and lots of city building ability... I'll be happy.

SimCity Societies Under Construction (1up.com)
Next SimCity game coming this winter according to GFW magazine.
By Garnett Lee, 06/05/2007

Not much doubt ever existed that there would be a next SimCity game. The only question was when, and now we have our answer. SimCity Societies holds its coming out party in the July issue of Games for Windows magazine that's just hitting subscribers' mailboxes now. But what's the deal with the "Societies" bit? Is this or is it not the fifth installment of the series?

The answer is a confounding "yes." It definitely continues the SimCity line, but this absolutely is not the same old SimCity...for better or worse. For one thing, EA turned its eye outside of its own campus and tabbed Tilted Mill Entertainment for the development duties. While that name may not immediately ring any bells, this studio packs plenty of folks experienced with city builders, and comes fresh off of creating Caesar IV. That game fared only passing well in our review, but the focus on managing your citizenry almost surely gives a glimpse into where the designers intend to go with the "societies" angle.

It's a bold move on EA's part. By stepping outside the established mold this new game holds the potential to attract a whole new generation of gamers in addition to the existing legions of fans for the franchise. Whether this new vision can pull that off will be the big question. We'll get a first idea of that from the GFW crew later this week. And, the way it sounds, the game should arrive this coming winter to deliver the final word.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 8:56 PM
Betch

Wait...so Maxis isn't developing the game?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottebaum View Post
Wait...so Maxis isn't developing the game?
Because they're owned by Electronic Arts, and EA decided to pass the buck off to a company called Tilted Mill. Maybe it was cheaper that way, or they wanted Maxis to focus on "The Sims" instead.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nope its not maxis anymore :"(

Response From Tilted Mill Developer
Source: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
Tilted Mill

Reaction has been strong to the recent annoucement of SimCity 5, now dubbed "SimCity Societies" with development handled by Tilted Mill. Many SimCity fans, to say the least, have reserved feelings about the implied direction of the SimCity franchise, now that it has left Maxis's studios. As some vocal SimCity community members have voiced their strong (albeit civil) concerns over at the official Tilted Mill forums, an official response has been posted by Chris Beatrice, Tilted Mill developer.
Given the somewhat heated nature of this thread, and the hazards of misinformation, I thought it would be a good idea for me to drop in and say a few things. First let me say, as always, thank you so much for the attention and diligence so many of you show toward TMill and our projects.

When the new SC comes out we'll obviously leave it to you to decide whether you love it, hate it... or fall somewhere in between, or whether you even choose to play it at all. I hope you do try it, and I really hope that you do not pass judgment based on the title or some preliminary speculation on some web site.

However, I do not want to mislead anyone: This SC is not a realistic urban simulation, which I understand, to many, represents the heart of what SC is. No one is blind to that. And if you're just completely turned off, even angered by the mere notion of any game called "SimCity" that is not a detailed, realistic urban simulator, I absolutely understand that viewpoint, and absolutely respect it. Passionate fans like you are the lifeblood of the gaming industry, and that is one reason why TMill provides what I think is a great outlet for this type of discussion and even complaint. But please keep in mind the irony in that - we are just a lowly developer after all.

I do want to say, though (with no insult intended to die hard SC fans) that we are absolutely thrilled to be a part of this venerable series, are extremely proud of what we have put together, and make no apologies about what we have managed to create. And while our past experiences (including contributions from many of you) certainly inform all our ongoing efforts, this SC is its own unique creation.
- Chris
Join the discussion at Simtropolis here

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:32 AM

WOW.. That is saying alot.

I'm not sure what the new simcity will look like now.. I REALLY hope its not a just a "SIMS in the city" game. I don't mind the success of the sims.. but it should not come at the success of simcity. Isn't there room for both?

Anyways I vistited some simcity forums out there PEOPLE ARE MAD!!!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:17 PM
Resident Composer

^^Unfortunately that's really what it's going to be. The writer of the article even pointed out that it's essentially not going to be what SimCity lovers...well, loved about it - a arealistic-as-possible city simulator. Perhaps I'm totally wrong and speaking for a select few; maybe the people who made the series so successful were those who simply wanted to create 'something' and blow it up (mostly the blowing up part). I'm certainly not going to refute the fun in that, but it was always a very small part of it for me.

This is really just another way to entertain the lowest common denominator. I will admit, I never liked The Sims, and probably never will. I find it to be severely lacking in providing a truly cerebrally creative environment for its users - utilizing both hemispheres of one's brain. This certainly isn't to say that intelligent people are not going ot enjoy it...I mean, hell, there are PLENTY of forms of brainless MTV-mentality entertainment that could probably keep me occupied for days on end. But why allow something to be stripped of substance?

Also, the whole point of SimCity is that it attracted a particular personality...or at least massaged a certain part of everyone's personality: the loner. I don't mean in some creepy live-in-a-cave sort of way. I mean the part where we don't want to deal with "people". We want to construct, and be away from that stupid gossipy part of society....again, that ding-bat MTV-mentality..."he said, she said" b.s. Just a thought.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:02 PM
Lowe's

It looks like SC and Zoo Tycoon had a baby...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Shitty.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:36 PM
Desert Dweller

Cool I cant wait, SC4 got kinda boring after a few years. Plus it takes up too much space!

Lets hope its like Windows Live Local!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 11:39 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cI...1&sec=PREVIEWS

Previews: SimCity Societies

Exclusive peek at Tilted Mill's SimCity -- new screens!
By GFW Staff 06/07/2007

SimCity sits among a select group of iconic PC games. The mention of its name brings an immediate impression to the minds of even the uninitiated. But, like many an urban area, the time's come for a renewal project. Just like in the real world, the idea isn't to wipe the slate clean and start over but to take all the best parts of what's there and build on them with the innovations developed since the original's creation. It's with that spirit that EA sets out to reinvigorate the SimCity line with its upcoming SimCity Societies. Yes, there are many changes, and some of them will initially shock longtime fans. The mere fact that you can now select and place all the buildings (rather than watching them spring forth from your zoning) sets the stage for a major metamorphosis. But before panic sets in, know that despite the game's new direction, the heart of SimCity still beats beneath it. While it may avoid some of the stricter city-planner roles, they're replaced with a wide variety of social-engineering experiments that present would-be mayors plenty to play with.

Here are a few quick points to help get a handle on where SimCity Societies is headed:

#1 -- For the first time in the franchise's history, an in-house team at Maxis/EA isn't developing the game. At the helm of SimCity Societies is Tilted Mill, the folks behind Caesar IV and the sleeper society-builder Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile. Why isn't Maxis working on it? The answer's simple: Will Wright and his team are busy with Spore. But Rod Humble, the head of EA's Sims division, handpicked the Tilted Mill guys, and its previous city-building successes makes the developer an inspired choice.

#2 -- By SimCity creator Will Wright's own admission, previous SimCity games had become too complex for most. Tilted Mill is focusing on scaling back the complexity and micromanagement of latter entries like SimCity 4 -- no pipes to lay, no power grids, no manual emergency-response funds to disperse, no individual building-funding. The series' hardcore fans shouldn't worry that the game will no longer be recognizable or too easy. "We are not out to fix something that's broken," promises lead designer Chris Beatrice.

#3 -- As the working title implies, Societies adds a new layer of emphasis on the city's citizens. The game introduces six "social energies" (such as Wealth or Obedience) that influence your city's look and feel. Buildings and aesthetics change depending on how these six values develop. Focus on Obedience, for example, and your buildings will start automatically adding security cameras to monitor your citizens' movements, Orwellian-style. Different energy balances unlock different building types, too.

#4 -- The standard SimCity "adviser" system is gone. Societies aims to communicate your city's well-being through goals and the city's overall atmosphere -- and your citizens' behavior. Sims (yes, they're using that term) will skip work if they're in a bad mood or start engaging in criminal activity (such as vandalization). Your actions in the game -- what you choose to build -- will also influence the kinds of goals the game presents. Head down an Obedience path, for example, and the game will start giving you goals to usher your progress in that direction.

#5 -- Goal-oriented sandbox gameplay: Instead of giving you a handful of typical scenarios, this SimCity awards new buildings and bonuses for meeting certain goals during the course of normal gameplay. With only about 15 percent of the buildings unlocked from the get-go, that's a lot of game to wade through.

And that's just part of what we picked up while visiting with the development team. For all the details on SimCity Societies, check out the July 2007 issue of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine in stores now. In it you'll find more exclusive screens and in-depth information.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:37 AM
Desert Dweller

This sucks. Sim City is Dead.

This isnt even SimCity anymore this is SimShit. Not even Sim Shit! More like City Life 2.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 3:46 AM

this stinks, this idiot made sim city 5 with i was very excited about, into trash. when i first heard about it i would have paid 50 dollars to get it on the first day. now i wouldn't give one millionth of a cent, this guy stinks.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 10:40 AM
Resu Deretsiger

It almost looks exactly like City Life!
I can't even freakin' believe it...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Assholemanship. Fvck!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:18 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

City Life or SC5?

Dammit this really makes me angry.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:36 PM
Lowe's

As much as I'm not crazy about this new version it seems to me that they had to try something different. SC4 has a hardcore fanbase, but it's not a huge fan base. With all the competition from console gaming they have to try a different path. I'm betting that they are making this so that they can tie this into the Windows live so that they can port this over to the XBox also. Also I think that they are trying to get away from requiring a CRAY to the game. Hell my less than a year old laptop has issues running it and the game is many years old. Basically yeah they are going for a lower common denominator to reach a broader audience and sell more units...

That's my take on it.. of course i am probably waaay off base

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Rod Humble Talks SimCity Societies with Simtropolis

There has been a lot of excitement surrounding the announcement of the fifth installment of our favourite game. News first broke at 1up.com and the first screenshot emerged to some mixed reactions, to say the least. Since then, there has been a hub of activity between the SimCity community here at Simtropolis and abroad with the newly named developers of SimCity, Tilted Mill Entertainment.

Today, I got a chance to exchange some words with Rod Humble, VP at EA and head of The Sims Division who was very gracious to lend some time to answer some of my questions.

Dirk: Can you first tell us about EA’s relationship with Titled Mill?

Rod: I had met Tilted Mill at a few E3’s just to chat bout their game design philosophy and keep in touch. Then one year the opportunity came up to work together. We had been working on the Societies concept and prototypes internally for about half a year but realized there was so much in there that ambitious it probably wasn’t going to be able to fit into our line up Then I took a look at what TM had in terms of their technology and expertise and I figured I would see what they thought. Immediately I got back a wave of ideas and documents which took the design in and made it feel fuller and better. From that point on and given the passion here at EA and TM for the game it fell into place very easily.

Dirk: Based on the title, Societies, it implies the game will be going in a particular direction, what will it be?

Rod: We will be revealing more details in the following weeks. But at its highest level when we were thinking about where SimCity could go we started wondering why certain cities feel different from another. So for example what’s the difference between Paris and Mecca? Or Oxford and Munich? Or San Francisco and Salt Lake City? Clearly the feel was the kind of culture and society. By focusing on the society and culture drivers within a society we found we could create many varied and wonderful places.

Dirk: Is the intention of SimCity Societies to appeal to a wider audience as well as satisfy the devotees of the franchise?

Rod: Everyone working on the game is a SimCity fanatic so clearly we worked on a game we love to play and foremost. We found a great game design which allows you to make so many different kinds cities we certainly hope that SimCity players old and new will love it as much as we do!

Dirk: And finally, from the devotees, what steps are you taking to ensure the sequel that bears the SimCity moniker will live up to its name?

Rod: Do you remember the first time you booted up SimCity? Do you remember the sense of wonder you had imagining all the different places you could build? I certainly do. With SimCity Societies we want that magic, just imagine what kind of cities you will build with their own cultures and societies. I am really looking forward to everyone seeing the coverage the July issue of Games For Windows magazine for the first deep-dive into SimCity Societies. And, over the next few months we’ll be sharing more about the wonderful things that await inside SimCity Societies!

Dirk: Thank you, Rod for taking the time to speak to the community!
Although I had plenty more questions to ask, understandably, Rod was only able to answer only a few of them at this early time. We will keep a look out for more information in the coming weeks, and hopefully, we will be able to speak with Rod again at a later date for some more details. Exclusive screenshots follow.- Dirk

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 6:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

stop bitching you guys..............

know what is going to be the major difrence between sc4 and city life the moding comunity thats what............

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art