HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:44 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...track=ntothtml

The American dream is alive at Franklin High
A Highland Park school with a 90% Latino student body is a laboratory for what's possible when everyone works together.
Bob Sipchen
School Me

March 12, 2007

Luis Lopez traveled north from Guadalajara, Mexico, and crossed illegally into Southern California. Fifteen years old, he was the sixth of 10 children. Figuring he'd need to speak English to get a job, his parents enrolled him at Franklin High School in Highland Park.

Now he runs the school. I'm tagging along with him as part of a program called Principal for a Day. Before I can send a single kid to detention, Lopez is hauling me from class to class to evaluate teachers.

In one room, a veteran instructor shows off essays on Sandra Cisneros' story "Geraldo, No Last Name."

In another, an overhead projector displays questions for an essay on "The Great Gatsby":

"What is the American Dream?"

"To what extent is it stable and enduring?"

"How can the dream turn into a nightmare?"

The theme hangs before me like a red, white and blue pi–ata, and I can't think of a better place than Luis Lopez' Benjamin Franklin High to take a thwack at it.

Lopez' father came to the United States as part of the bracero farm labor program but eventually moved to Los Angeles to work at Frisco bakery, making sourdough bread. His mother and a succession of the children followed, gaining U.S. citizenship during the 1986 amnesty program.

At first, English befuddled Lopez. But the teachers wouldn't let up, using any trick — including acting out the words they wanted him to say — and by his junior year the boy was taking college prep courses.

He wound up at nearby Occidental College, became a teacher himself and started working his way through assignments at Los Angeles schools. Still living in Highland Park, he married his college girlfriend, raised a family of four children and talked about someday returning to Franklin.

By the time he became principal two years ago, his alma mater was struggling with sub-mediocre API test scores in the high 500s and the stigma of being a "program improvement school" — meaning it could face state takeover if it didn't improve quickly.

But as we tear around the campus, walkie-talkie chattering, the students and staff are upbeat. The Western Assn. of Schools and Colleges, Lopez says, has just finished a review of Franklin's beefy self-improvement plan and decided to reaccredit the campus for the maximum six years.

What's cool about the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce's Principal for a Day program is that it shoves dozens of know-it-all corporate leaders and a few smarmy journalists up against a cherished piece of conventional wisdom: that any private-sector person with a pulse could easily turn a poor-performing school into a finely tuned education factory.

In the two years that I've participated, the program's wrap-up lunch has concluded with the business bigs confessing — surprise! — that this school-running stuff ain't as easy as it looks.

As it happens, I've visited Lopez at Franklin before and was as impressed then as I am now with how much he seems to enjoy his mission. Today I watch him pick up Doritos bags, order kids to put down their hoods, take notes on how his staff is teaching, wrangle with an energetic teachers union rep over the selection of deans and work with a committee of vice principals to come up with a training session to massage the improvement plan deeper into every teacher's psyche.

Looking at the nearly 90-year-old school from the outside, a visitor sees that three of the main building's four floors are emblazoned with the word "welcome" in Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Italian, German, Armenian, Zulu, Gaelic and 38 other languages that students at the school spoke when Lopez's ethnically eclectic class of 1984 had the walls lettered as a senior gift.

Today the 2,600-student main school (Franklin also plays host to a magnet school) is 90% Latino, and although most speak English, many of their moms and dads don't. When we stroll into a prefab bungalow for Lopez' monthly meeting with parents and community members, the language is Spanish.

Just a few weeks earlier, suspected gang bangers shot and killed a 15-year-old student in a nearby neighborhood — there's one nightmare — and today folks anxiously grill Lopez with questions about violencia … grafiti drogas….

With wide hand gestures and soothing words, Lopez assures the parents that the campus remains safe. If he seems evangelical, it makes sense.

Franklin was his salvation. Teachers steered him clear of gang influences, hustled him on college tours, drove him to SAT tests and even taught him the "proper" use of utensils; then took him to his first fancy restaurant. It's where his parents went for information about citizenship.

He knows that people get touchy about the term "assimilate." It doesn't bother him. He credits teachers' efforts with the fact that all his siblings attended at least a two-year college. And now that he's in charge of the school, he's not about to forget the opportunities or values that were passed on to him as "American," he says.

He and his staff are drawing in local organizations to help establish the school as a community hub again. They've printed their own recruitment fliers — "build your future at Franklin" — and are working to find housing for new teachers so they'll be part of the changing neighborhood as well as the school.

Forgive me for ham-handedly steering all this back to that first tricky essay question, but come on: Isn't what's unfolding in Highland Park a pretty good answer?

To discuss this column or the question "Is the American dream alive in public schools?" please visit http://www.latimes.com/schoolme . Bob Sipchen can be reached at bob.sipchen@latimes.com.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:59 AM

Hindus show their Holi colors
The religious festival celebrates the coming of spring, the triumph of good over evil and the playful antics of the god Krishna.
By Tami Abdollah, Times Staff Writer
March 4, 2007

Six-year-old Ishika Muchhal trembles with excitement as she hides near the park's picnic benches, her face smeared with powdered paints: green, pink and red, with a splotch of blue on her forehead and a hint of yellow on her nose.

Earlier, she had been hit directly between the shoulders by a boy she calls "an enemy of mine." There's even a yellow and green drenched spot as proof.

She tells her tale gleefully, reenacting the scene with a smile and a hint of the dramatic. "I got sprayed in the back and I couldn't even see the person spraying me," Ishika says. "Now he doesn't know where I am."

Meanwhile, giggles and shrieks are heard as toddlers, teenagers and adults rub paint onto one another's faces, arms and clothes. Children run, spraying water guns, drenching one another and making the colors run.

About 150 people from Southern California gathered Saturday at Arcadia Park to celebrate Holi — the Pan-Indian "festival of colors," a holiday celebrated by Hindus, Sikhs and some Muslims that rejoices in the coming of spring and the triumph of good over evil. It is considered a major Hindu festival.

The celebration was organized by the Hindu Temple and Heritage Foundation of Pasadena.

Manish Khemani, 24, of Northridge came to the United States from Mumbai, India, about two years ago, and this was his first Holi celebration in his new home. "It's different," he said, "Holi is much more intense in India — more water, more colors, water balloons."

But Khemani said he was pleasantly surprised and felt a little nostalgic.

The holiday falls on the full moon in the Hindu month of Falgun, usually around March. Traditionally celebrated over five days, it has been condensed in modern times to about two days. At night a bonfire is held, and people usually "play colors" the next day.

According to Hindu stories, the holiday commemorates the death of Holika, who represents evil, and the saving of her nephew Prehlad, who represents good.

One version of the tale tells of Prehlad's father, Hiranyakshipu, an evil man who wanted Prehlad to worship him, not the Hindu god Vishnu. After many attempts to change his son's mind, Hiranyakshipu decides to burn him to death, and his aunt, Holika, is to help. In the end, Holika is burned to death and Prehlad is saved.

Another story is about the Hindu god Krishna, who is said to have lived 5,000 years ago. He enjoyed dalliances with the milkmaids, especially Radha. On Holi, Krishna asked his mother why his skin was darker than Radha's. His mother told him to rub paint on her. She retaliated and eventually, all the villagers joined in. Since then, Holi has also been celebrated with colors.

A holiday known for merriment and boisterousness, Holi is a special day, especially in India, because social restrictions and caste norms are relaxed.

"One of the things that Holi lets you do is let loose," said Vinay Lal, a professor of history and Asian American studies at UCLA. "Holi is something anybody can take part in because you do not need anything, just water and color. You can go to the home of an upper-caste person and throw water at them and rub color on them. But the following day, everything reverts back to normal."

In the United States, celebrants said it was a good day to take time off from hectic days of work, relax with friends and family and to renew friendships.

"If you are on bad terms with someone, you don't need to speak words to them," said Sonia Anand, 35, of Arcadia. "Sometimes the words hold you back, and all you need is some color and a hug."

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 5:57 AM

Los Angeles, Where the whole world comes together
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkwqlfKqbs

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
BANNED

^ typical LA crap.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 2:51 AM

March 15, 2007
A great day for the Irish … pub
Keith Roberts of the Young Dubliners knows just where he'd like to be on St. Patrick's Day.

By Steve Baltin, Special to The Times

In the 19 years since he's been living in the States, Young Dubliners frontman Keith Roberts has missed playing exactly one St. Patrick's Day. Three years ago in Miami, the band was booked for an outdoor gig. "It lashed rain and we didn't get to play," Roberts recalls.

On Saturday, the Dubliners will be playing in San Diego. However, Roberts wants the L.A. faithful to know the band has not abandoned them. When the group headlines the Key Club on Friday, he promises there will a countdown to midnight, – la New Year's Eve.

But for those who either can't make it to the Key Club or don't want to drive down to San Diego, Roberts filled us in on where he'd be hanging in L.A. when everyone's favorite color turns green if he wasn't playing.

"The first [pub] I went to is Molly Malone's on Fairfax. That has been a legendary spot for years," he says. "It became a real rock venue, which I loved. It was a good rock place to be hanging out in and still feel at home, and that's what an Irish pub is supposed to be. It's more about the attitude and the fun you have in there than whether or not there's a shillelagh hanging on the wall."

However, Molly's is just one option. "Probably where I would go would be in Santa Monica, there's O'Brien's and Finn McCool's. They're both on Main Street in Santa Monica and I think on St. Paddy's Day they will be absolutely bananas," he says.

And what makes them so special? "These are two classic examples of the two different styles of an Irish pub. O'Brien's is all about the owners. They've got good food and music in the back, and it's a fun place to be. Finn McCool's on the other hand, when I first came here, was Merlin McFly's. It was a brilliant bar with karaoke every Sunday. But the owner of that bar always liked to reinvent herself every now and again, so it became a country/western bar for a long time. Then all of a sudden it became Finn McCool's and it's a very authentic-looking Irish pub."

His last pub of choice: "A bar called the Irish Times on Motor in West L.A. It's in a very upscale, suburban area, then you come around the corner and here's this Irish pub," he says. "Again, it's all about the attitude. On Friday a lot of the Irish meet there for their sort of end-of-the-week pint and their chance to sort of tell each other the sort of war stories of the week."

For those looking for something other than a pub crawl, Roberts suggests the Celtic Arts Center in Studio City. "They've been putting on Irish plays for years and folk bands and more traditional stuff. That's a great place to really feel connected to the theater again, 'cause I grew up in the theater back in Dublin," he says. "They've got this little theater and then a little tiny pub off the side of it. So you can go watch a play or see a band or whatever, then you become sort of the part of set, they serve you a drink and everybody's just hanging out with the actors."

The Young Dubliners, the Key Club, 9039 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood. 7 p.m. Friday. $25. (310) 274-5800.

Molly Malone's, 575 S. Fairfax, L.A. Doors at 6 a.m. Saturday. $5 cover before 2 p.m.; $10 after. (323) 935-1577.

O'Brien's Pub & Restaurant, 2941 Main St., Santa Monica. Doors at 6 a.m. Saturday. Free before 3 p.m.; $10 after. (310) 396-4725.

Finn McCool's, 2702 Main St., Santa Monica. Doors at 9 a.m. Saturday. $10 cover. (310) 452-1734.

Irish Times, 3267 Motor Ave., L.A. Doors at 10 a.m. Saturday. $12 cover. (310) 559-9648.

Celtic Arts Center, "The Celtic Shakespeare," 4843 Laurel Canyon Blvd., Studio City. 8 p.m. Saturday. $15. (818) 760-8322.

Get your green on

Parades and festivals

Los Angeles St. Patrick's Day Parade, Pershing Square, downtown. 11:30 a.m. Friday. Free. www.lafd.org/stpats+.htm.

South Bay St. Patrick's Day Parade & Festival, Valley Avenue at Pier Avenue, Hermosa Beach. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. (Parade at 11 a.m. Saturday). Free. www.stpatricks+day.org. Irish dance, music, food and a children's carnival.

Canoga Park Fifth Annual St. Patrick's Day Community March & Celebration, 21622 Sherman Way, Canoga Park. 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Free. (818) 346-7480. Family-friendly event with storytelling, leprechauns.

More music

The Fenians, House of Blues Anaheim, 1530 S. Disneyland Drive. 8 p.m. Saturday. $22.50 to $25. (714) 778-2583. The O.C. Irish quintet, whose music ranges from traditional folk to originals, has become a staple at the House of Blues, with this year marking its sixth annual soiree.

Food

St. Patrick's Day Feast Cooking Class, California School of Culinary Arts, East Campus, 530 Colorado Blvd., Pasadena. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. $95. (626) 683-1354. Chefs teach students how to prepare a traditional Irish feast including corned beef and cabbage, colcannon and, to make sure the class stays in the St. Paddy's Day party mode, a green beer Bailey's Irish cream cheesecake.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 9:27 PM

Lost Angel may look like a rebel, but he’s just “a big old square,” says Mercado, a.k.a. Mister Cartoon.
(Anne Cusack / LAT)

Watch out, Malibu Barbie
With his tattoos and goatee, the Lost Angel collectible doll embodies L.A.
By Steve Baltin
Special to The Times

March 15, 2007

As Southern California natives, Super Rad Toys founders Jonathan Cathey and Sid Richlin wanted someone to design a collectible figure that, to them, captured their hometown. "In our scene you get a lot of representation of New York," said Cathey, illustrating his point, perhaps, with his Ramones T-shirt. "There wasn't something representative of Los Angeles."

To remedy that, there was really only one go-to guy: "The fabric of L.A. is intertwined with Cartoon."

That's Mister Cartoon to you (real name: Mark Mercado). The artist — whose counterculture design empire extends from tattoos (he's inked the likes of Eminem and Busta Rhymes), album art, cars, Nike shoes, a T-Mobile Sidekick, gallery shows around the world — has created what can be described only as the very antithesis of that old-school icon of pert plastic perfection, the Malibu Barbie.

Meet the Lost Angel — Super Rad Toys' new superstar — a bald, goateed, tattooed and shirtless Latino with angel wings and a load of accessories: two pairs of Nikes, a "diamond" chain, a tiny tagged boombox and a Sidekick that flips open to say "New Message." Eat your heart out, GI Joe.

"Real personal, this is how we dress [the doll]," Cartoon said. He's seated in an office adjacent to where he and his business partner, Estevan Oriol, keep their obsession: a collection of restored Chevys. "This is us, our day-to-day stuff. It's so much different than doing an abstract fantasy character."

Apparently, reality is a good thing. To date, of the 1,300 Lost Angels produced, 900 have sold out through online presales, with the final 400 being held for a signing/street party Sunday at Meltdown Comics. "The party is in the afternoon because Cartoon is a family man," said Cathey, who is expecting 500 to 1,500 people — many of them kids.

For Cartoon, 37, the desire to design a figure goes back to his childhood. "I owned a Steve Austin 'Six Million Dollar Man' doll with the flip-around face. My most favorite of all was the Evel Knievel doll," he recalls. "I can remember the ones I couldn't afford and my friends having every one of them."

Dolls are not just for kids anymore, of course. Figures by artists such as Frank Kozik and Dalek are hot adult collectibles. And the work of street artists has filtered into the design of sneakers, cellphones and more. Does Cartoon worry that commercial exposure will stifle the gritty authenticity of the next generation of street artists? "As long as there's drugs, poverty, child abuse, as long as all that stuff exists, which I think will never go away, right, you'll always have those raw artists."

He also isn't bothered by people who think the look of his 15-inch creation (which sells for a not-so-kid-friendly $130) promotes gang violence. Anyone who thinks that probably doesn't get Cartoon's world. "I look at this guy and see someone who owns a home, drives a Mercedes, pushes a stroller at the Beverly Center with his Coffee Bean cup in his hand," said Cartoon, who has three kids and another on the way. "The guy is a big old square."

So is Lost Angel perhaps ... Cartoon? "He doesn't use drugs, he doesn't drink," said the artist. "He helps kids, does outreaches. The whole reason he's able to help kids is they think he looks cool. That's my life, what I just told you."

weekend@latimes.com

Mister Cartoon

What: Signing of the Lost Angel figure by Mister Cartoon, with special guests

Where: Meltdown Comics, 7522 Sunset Blvd., L.A.

When: 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday (signing, 5 to 7 p.m.)

Info: (323) 851-7223

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 3:32 AM

Thursday, March 15, 2007
Japanese-style crepes are restaurant's real focus
Review: Genki Living's food is as colorful and fun as its interior design.
By CYNTHIA FUREY

Walking into Genki Living is like crossing over to another planet. To the left, a version of a traditional Japanese teahouse cozies up to the cheerful wall colors of sky blue, pink and lime green. On the right, you'll find a life-size replica of a bullet train that spans the entire length of one wall. Random, yes, but rarely in Irvine do you find a restaurant this fun and “energetic,” as genki means in Japanese, and it's refreshing to know that it exists.

Just as fun as Genki Living's interior is its food. Since its opening last year, owner Anita Huang has served Japanese fare, from curries to udon soups. But the restaurant's real focus is Japanese-style crepes. Huang pours crepe batter over round griddles in the kitchen, rolls the cooked crepes into cones and fills them with ingredients savory and sweet.

Ordering from the menu is a bit of a pain, as items are displayed on a dizzying board mounted high on a wall near the counter. Genki's menu offers close to 150 items and there are about 50 crepe combinations alone, so first-timers will have a heck of a time choosing what they want. Though there were some definite hits and misses in the dishes we ordered, each concept was as whimsical as the restaurant's surroundings, and each dish was inexpensive.

For dessert crepes, any combination containing Nutella is best. Crepes made with this heavenly Italian chocolate-hazelnut spread are a delight. No. 50 ($3.89) gets you a crepe with whipped cream, Nutella and a choice of fruit. We tried this crepe with bananas, which is the equivalent of a eating a chocolate-covered banana. The simplicity of the dish is what makes it a standout – you can taste all of the elements wrapped in the giant crepe. An added bonus is the crepe's crunchy top, which is vaguely reminiscent of the taste and texture of a fortune cookie. It's a light dessert that really hits the spot when washed down with Genki's rose-flavored tea ($2.69) or peach-flavored tea ($2.49).

Genki Living also offers a crepe with the works. A Fruit Combo Crepe (No. 57, $6.09) comes with Nutella, ice cream and whipped cream. Sliced bananas, kiwi fruit, strawberries and pineapples also stuff the interior of the cone, and the fruit is topped with ice cream that melts just a tad upon contact with the warm crepe.

Also good is the Nutella and Peanut Butter crepe (No. 37, $2.99), a gooey combination of the chocolate spread and crunchy peanut butter. More Nutella in this crepe would be ideal, for the peanut butter is a bit heavy and you almost can't taste the chocolate spread. The restaurant also serves crepes with cheesecake and custard fillings.

Savory and flat sandwich crepes get mixed reviews. The key to ordering a sandwich crepe is to order a meat that pairs well with the subtle sweetness of the crepe itself. The Chicken Corn Special (No. 72, $4.79) is an overwhelming mess, with too much going on inside to let diners savor the delicate flavor of the crepe. The crepe is stuffed with cheese, bits of chicken, lettuce, tomato and cucumber, then topped with a generous drizzle of house dressing. The chicken is too salty, while the creamy house dressing overpowers the rest of the ingredients. I also would steer clear of the Tuna Salad (No. 70, $4.79) crepe, as it's a fusion of sweet crepe and fish that should have never met in the first place.

On the good side, the House Club (No. 75, $5.09) with turkey, ham and bacon, works well. The sweet and salty ham is what bridges the crepe's exterior with its interior. These sandwich crepes are also good as a quick bite to eat in the car. They're wrapped tightly in paper and although there's a lot of filling, there's very little mess.

Also worth a try are Genki Living's croquettes. The House Special Cheese Croquette (No. 27, $2.25) is crispy little ball of flavor. Through fried, the croquette is light and subtly flavored; I would have liked to order it without the ubiquitous drizzle of house dressing.

Other items on the menu include a Japanese “paper pot,” ($8.99) in which burn-proof washi paper is used to hold meat, fish cakes and vegetables. Takoyaki ($3.99) are savory balls of batter, topped with kimchi (a Korean relish) or octopus. Also worth a try is the Osaka-style Okonomiyaki ($5.49), a pancake of sorts topped with various meats and vegetables.

Given the restaurant's location (right across the street from Irvine Valley College), its inexpensive dishes and funky decor, you'll find a mostly youngish college crowd here stopping in for lunch or a sweet treat.

Store Location:
15435 Jeffrey Rd #110 Irvine CA 92618
(across street from Irvine Valley College)

Phone: 949-857-3683

Hours:
Mon ~ Th: 12:00~11:00p.m
Fri, Sat: 12:00~ Midnight
Sun: 5:00p.m~11:00p.m

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 3:42 AM

March 21, 2007
At the Kitchen, meet dinner
It brings its still-kicking seafood to Alhambra. For lunch, the dim sum delights.

By S. Irene Virbila, Times Staff Writer

"LOOK!" my friend Joy whispers.

Our party of seven has just settled in at the Kitchen, a new Hong Kong-style Cantonese restaurant in Alhambra, the Southern California outpost of the original spot in Millbrae, Calif. I knew that the Kitchen up north was extremely popular, especially for dim sum, so when a branch opened here, and I had enough friends on hand to fill a big table, off we went.

Look!

I turn my head, and there is the restaurant's dapper manager holding a tray aloft with one hand while, with the other, he struggles to keep an enormous Alaskan king crab from crawling right off the tray. Pinning the crab down with his index finger, its yard-long legs thrumming, he blithely discusses the various ways the crab might be prepared — steamed, fried, braised ...

I'm not so sure about being introduced to the crustacean we're about to eat, but there's no doubt that this guy is going to be very fresh. And when we're talking Cantonese seafood, that's the whole idea. Order practically anything, and the server will make sure you see how live and frisky the rock cod or prawns or lobster are. It's expected. Freshness — and its inherent quality and delicate, nuanced flavor —is, after all, what you are paying for.

And pay you do. When we ask the manager just how much that king crab will be, he tells us $30 a pound — but for you, (presumably since we'd been to the restaurant the week before and are now regulars), it's $26 a pound. Oh, and each crab is 7 or 8 pounds.

I make a quick calculation and ask if any are a bit smaller. Maybe one, he says, and rushes off to the kitchen, bringing back another knobbly-shelled crab for our perusal. It's not that small, weighing in at 6 3/4pounds. I do some more math: the price is $175.50. Expensive. But we're seven at table, so that's roughly $25 per person, about the cost of a normal entr–e at many restaurants in L.A. And since the crab is served up in two courses, it's not as pricey as it seems. After discussing the possibilities, we decide to have the legs steamed with garlic, and the rest of the crab cooked Hong Kong style.

Laid out on a large porcelain platter, the crab legs look magnificent. The meat is snowy white and very tender, and tastes exactly like the crab it is — nothing remotely like cottony frozen king crab. At the Kitchen, "steamed with garlic" turns out to mean steamed with great wads of the stuff, a boon for our blood pressure no doubt, but too much of a good thing. In the end, we push most of the garlic off to the side and dive into the pure crab meat, blushed coral where it touched the shell.

Part two, Hong Kong style, is the hacked crab body, deep-fried and crunchy, showered with golden fried garlic, scallions and a little chile pepper. The flavor and crunch together is fantastic, and we happily pick it up in our fingers, gnawing at the crispy bits near the shell, scraping off the meat with our teeth. My friends are enthusiastically eating away, going back for seconds and thirds. This, I don't need to tell them, is not your typical neighborhood Chinese.

Dim sum delights

Next time, I'm dragging them to dim sum, which is the Kitchen's strong suit. Here, as at most contemporary dim sum houses, you order from a printed menu, a little like the way you order sushi. Check off what you want, give it to the waiter, and very soon, the dim sum, all freshly made, is ferried over from the kitchen. You can practically close your eyes and point and not go wrong with the delicacies on offer.

Shiu mai laced with crab meat and puckered around the edges like a frilly cushion are succulent and delicious. But my current favorite is the astonishing chive shrimp dumplings, a plush rice flour dough shaped into a plump half moon with a filling of fresh, barely cooked shrimp and masses of flat Chinese chives. Every time, I wish I'd asked for two orders. And then I get distracted by the next good thing.

The Chiu Chow dumpling holds a more complex filling of diced Chinese vegetables, tree ear fungus and seafood. Its distinctly marine funk may put off some diners, but it is one of the best items on the dim sum menu.

When a server passes by with a tray of that day's special seaweed salad, we grab one. Made from three kinds of seaweed sliced fine as thread and tossed in a fragrant sesame dressing, the salad is a refreshing counterpoint to the richer flavors of the dim sum. So are the "pork ribs steamed fun," plain steamed pork riblets sitting on a bowl of thick, bouncy rice noodles. The pork is so sweet and tender near the bone, and the noodles so pure and good, that I'm sure this dish will haunt me until I come back and order it again.

Don't miss the unusual green tea "dumpling," which is more like a big green tea-dyed noodle rolled up with sweetened sesame paste and pan-fried to make it a little crisp on the outside. I'm crazy about the slightly bitter flavor of green tea against the rich, sweet sesame, but, for a Western palate, it seems it should have come toward the end, as dessert. Now I know.

The Kitchen also offers half a dozen variations on congee, the delicious Chinese rice porridge, including one embellished with shredded dried scallops and juicy pork balls. And of course, no dim sum feast is complete without barbecued pork buns. The Kitchen's are a very refined version of the staple: The soft bun wears a shiny sugary glaze. Inside is a finely diced, and very wet, barbecued pork filling with a big dose of sweet. Not the usual, at all, and perhaps an acquired taste, but very good.

The one thing I've become wary of is the fried items: They can be a little greasy. And though you can also order pretty much anything from the regular menu during dim sum service, I never make it past these delectable little bites.

Dinner also has its delights. The night of the king crab, we get really extravagant and order a lobster too. Steamed with garlic and thick slices of fresh ginger, it is sumptuous and deeply delicious, a terrific match for the white Burgundy my friend Paul brought from his cellar in Oakland. The 4 1/2-pound crustacean is a relative bargain at $63 (some steakhouses charge up to $25 a pound for live lobster).

Though I explain to the die-hard carnivores at the table that live seafood is the way to go at a Hong Kong or Cantonese restaurant, none can resist poring over the entire menu and trying to come up with a meat dish.

What about Peking duck, one asks. No, I tell him. That's a Mandarin specialty and generally not something you should order in a Hong Kong style restaurant.

How about salt and pepper pork? This, a suggestion from the manager. Too salty, and it's deep-fried.

In the end, someone manages to slip in an order for a couple of roasted squabs. They're overcooked, without a hint of rose to the meat. But the meat guys are happy.

A lively scene

The vegetables are excellent, especially the bright Chinese mustard greens in supreme broth, and the snow pea shoots. There's also a long list of satisfying soups, including a light, savory tofu soup laced with pork, swatches of seaweed and cilantro. On a chilly night in a chilly room, it's guaranteed to bring everyone up to temperature.

One caveat: Make sure you understand the price per pound of any live seafood before you order. When our server proposed geoduck clam one night, I forgot to ask. Who knew this Pacific coast critter and its giant siphon could weigh as much as 5 pounds? Or that it could cost $20 a pound? Or that we were ordering the whole animal? My fault. For that price, I'd have taken the lobster. But I couldn't complain about the way the geoduck was cooked and, like the crab, it made two different dishes, including one of thinly sliced clam stir-fried with garlic. It's good, but not what you'd call tender — more like abalone in texture, but with a pronounced clam flavor.

The Kitchen's service is a cut above that at most San Gabriel Valley restaurants. At least two of the managers speak English and are genuinely helpful. And truly, the service and the terrific dim sum are what set the Kitchen apart from any number of restaurants in the San Gabriel Valley, many of them much glitzier and better-appointed than this one. The Kitchen's owners have tried to dress up the space (last seen as NYC Jumbo Seafood) by wrapping the pillars in gold lam– – la Christo and draping swags of colored tinsel from the ceiling. It doesn't help all that much.

But they've spent on flat-screen television monitors dotted throughout the restaurant, which are usually playing Chinese soap operas. I can't understand a word and yet I'm deeply drawn into the story of young professionals in high-rise Hong Kong complete with the slick apartments and fashionable clothes.

There's plenty of real life drama to take in too. Across the room, an elderly woman commands the attention of her entire extended table, telling a long and happy story, as she holds a barbecued pork bun aloft, poised to take a second bite. All around us, tea is poured into cups, chopsticks reach for neatly pleated steamed dumplings, babies decorously eat their rice, mesmerized by the goings-on at table. A beautifully turned out woman nibbles on chicken feet. A big table is crowded with a family drinking Coca-Cola and whiskey with their seafood feast. The entire restaurant is energized with the excited clamor of friends laughing and talking and eating.

I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be on a sunny Sunday morning.

The Kitchen
Ambience: Hong Kong-style Cantonese restaurant in the San Gabriel Valley, with gold fabric-wrapped pillars, the usual bank of live seafood tanks and a large dining room crowded with big, round tables. Chinese soap operas play on flat-screen TVs while the mostly Chinese American customers order up round after round of dim sum at breakfast, or live seafood at night.
Service: Energetic and helpful.
Price: Dim sum, $10 to $15 per person (individual dishes, $1.88 to $6); appetizers, $4 to $9.50; Hong Kong and Chiu Chow style dishes, $6 to $24; soups, $8.50 to $20; chef's specialties, $10 to $22; country style dishes, $10 to $22; clay pot, $10 to $15; meat dishes, $10 to $12; tofu and vegetables, $10; rice and chow fun, $10 to $12. Live seafood, market price.
Best dishes: Dim sum (shiu mai with crab meat, pork ribs steamed fun, chive shrimp dumplings, Chiu Chow dumplings, seaweed salad, barbecued pork buns, green tea dumplings, congee); tofu soup with pork and seaweed, roasted pork belly, fresh Alaskan king crab two ways, lobster steamed with ginger and garlic, Chinese mustard greens in supreme broth, pea shoots.
Wine list: Perfunctory. Bring your own (no corkage fee) or drink Chinese beer.
Best table: One near the bank of windows at the back.
Special features: Takeout.
Details: Open for dim sum and lunch, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. daily; dinner 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. daily. Lot parking.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:21 AM

March 28, 2007
The charm of Thai fusion at Naraya
A menu punctuated with eccentric flair both surprises and pleases at a stylish Westside spot.

By Susan LaTempa, Times Staff Writer

LIGHT from the tabletop votives flickers in the large framed mirrors on the tiny cafe's gray walls as Patrick Suwan, chef and co-owner of Naraya, who also works the front of the house, sets our appetizers before us. There's not a seen-this-one-before dish in the bunch.

Asian tamales, little boats of corn husk tied off at each end and filled with shrimp on a pillow of lemongrass-infused masa, are light and wonderfully savory, sweet shrimp set off by the slightly herbaceous cornmeal.

A dim-sum-style appetizer called Naraya crowns turns out to be outstanding mini raviolis filled with a rich, crunchy combination of caramelized radish, sweet onions and diced nuts presented with a delicate, colorful slaw of carrots and red cabbage.

The Vietnamese hand roll is a single small, delicate cone of seaweed-wrapped herbs, sprouts and noodles presented in a glass as if it were a flower in a vase. Salmon crab cakes are unusual too, and satisfying. More like seafood-stuffed egg rolls, they're a flavorful combo of salmon, crab and cucumber wrapped and fried and served with sweet honey-sake dipping sauce.

Aims to please

Eight-month-old Naraya Thai in the Olympic-Robertson neighborhood of West L.A. is ambitious in a sweet-natured way, working hard to please customers and encourage return visits while also trying to get across enough of a sense of occasion to justify its prices, which are higher than the average neighborhood joint.

You don't have to be dressed up to feel welcome, but the small narrow storefront space is itself well turned out, with a dark slate tile floor, cloth-covered tables and handsome dishes.

The menu is contemporary Thai fusion, with pleasantly eccentric touches, especially in presentation. But although you may not be able to visualize a dish by reading its menu description, after a few visits you'll get a sense of a guiding aesthetic that seeks to both surprise and please. For every unique creation on the list, there's a variation on popular favorites.

The food is not aggressively spiced (request a dish of chopped chiles on the side if that's your thing), and the salads tend to be less than successful, but overall the execution is very good. Dishes, which are plated individually as opposed to being offered for family-style dining, are flavorful and fun, presented with an endearing flair and attention to detail.

Thai cafe standards such as satays, pad Thai and curries are somewhat perfunctory here, dutifully presented — peanut sauce that's not too sweet, noodles with good texture, flavors of curries layered and individuated — with the sometimes exuberant touches of the specialties and entrees.

A generous selection of vegetarian dishes includes stir-fries, a vegetable curry, tofu steak and noodles and could also, with the green-tea rice perhaps, be the basis for a family-style dinner.

But Naraya's personality shines through with dishes such as the Bangkok catfish fillet, juicy slices of saut–ed, confidently spiced fish presented on a chiffonade of ginger, onions and shiitake mushrooms, drizzled with sweet-hot chili sauce.

Ka pow rib-eye steak (an uncommon variation of the frequently seen chicken or pork ka pow) is likewise a happily brazen dish: a tender steak tasting of a bright chile-garlic marinade, served with a thatch of braised onion, red pepper and crisp-fried basil that complements every bite of meat.

Service is assiduous and personal, with Suwan and co-owner Sumaytee Kasemchit working the room, recognizing repeat customers, offering special touches, making suggestions and lavishing attention in a way the regular guy or gal diner seldom experiences these days — and could get used to.

Naraya
Location: 1128 S. Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, (310) 858-7738.
Price: Lunch specials (include rice, salad, egg roll), $9 to $13; dinner appetizers, $4 to $10; specialties and entrees, $10 to $22.
Best dishes: Naraya crowns, Asian tamales, Bangkok catfish fillet, ka pow rib-eye steak.
Details: Open for lunch and dinner from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, until 10:30 p.m. Friday; 12:30 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday; 12:30 to 10 p.m. Sunday. Metered street parking and lot parking in the back. Wine cocktails. Visa, Mastercard, American Express.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:31 AM

March 29, 2007
At Romanov, Russian cuisine meets steakhouse
You can dine like a czar.

By S. Irene Virbila, Times staff writer

Peering over mile-high sandwiches at Art's Deli in Studio City, regulars have been eyeing the progress of the building across the street for months. What might a structure with two prominent onion domes turn out to be?

Mystery solved. The preposterous-looking building has been unveiled as Romanov, the latest steakhouse concept to hit the Valley, and this one — from the folks who gave us Republic on North La Cienega Boulevard — is Russian.

Shhh, though. Romanov is indulging in what's known as a "soft opening," which means it's not broadcasting the fact that the place is finally open after months of delays. Though the kitchen staff is standing by to cook the entire elaborate menu, the weekend entertainment (Russian gypsy dancers) doesn't arrive until June. In the meantime, you'll have to make do with live piano music — an East-meets-West repertoire of Russian romantic plus Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett standards.

Romanov is much classier than the exterior would lead you to expect. In fact, it's drop-dead gorgeous, beginning with the enormous crystal and mosaic chandelier in the center of a room big enough to house a hot-air balloon. The chandelier is the work of Armenian artist Levon Karsyan, whose large work normally graces public buildings in Russia. Glowing lights in the shape of Faberge' eggs also hang from the ceiling. On either side of the bar are two private dining alcoves dressed in crushed red velvet and satin, each with its own stunning chandelier.

Oh, the Russian contingent is going to love this place. Where else in L.A. could you get dolled up in your furs and pearls and not look out of place? Bring it on. Bring it all on. The ballroom-sized dining room ringed with posh booths seems designed for showing it off. And the waiters do their part, dressed in their Cossack-influenced uniforms. If you prefer a more intime soiree, check out the library dining room with its ornately carved fireplace and 24-karat gold-leaf ceiling. The half-empty bookshelves are meant to be furnished with a library of Russian classics; until then, bring along your own copy of "A Hero of Our Time." Might come in handy if the kitchen falls behind.

The menu, conceived by Republic's executive chef Gabriel Morales and executed by Mark Murillo, most recently chef at Saddle Peak Lodge, welds Russian haute cuisine with the traditional steakhouse. Caesar salad is translated as Czar salad. Borscht is made with golden beets and while the presentation is formal and elegant, the taste is disappointingly watery. Dainty potato blini, topped with smoked salmon and cre`me frai^che, are better, but cold. Quail Kiev comes in a cherry reduction that my friend who has lived in Russia assures me is very traditional. If you prefer to keep it local, Romanov allows for that with spinach salad or tiger shrimp salad with blood oranges and asparagus.

The night I was there, the execution was still wobbly. You can chalk up the undercooked, gluey pelmeni dough to opening-week jitters. But there's no excusing bad-quality ingredients across the board — including subpar steak and smoked fish. At these prices, quality should be a given.

Caviar service is market price, which can't be anything other than high. Clearly, Romanov's owner is expecting big spenders. The affable young manager can't wait to show off three eggs encrusted with gold kept behind the bar. They're large enough to conceivably hatch a baby brontosaurus. Inside is a cut crystal carafe of high-end vodka with wee glasses hanging from its neck. Want to sample? Buy the whole thing for $2,800 and you get to keep the egg and its contents.

Bottom line: If you can get past the food and enjoy the ambience and the novelty of dining in such an opulent room in an unexpected setting, Romanov might be fun. Have one of the high-end Russian vodkas, such as Putinka Crystal ($28 a glass), or a pink Red Square martini made with vodka, triple sec, lime and pomegranate juice. Then sit back and enjoy the show.

Romanov Restaurant & Lounge
Where: Romanov, 12229 Ventura Blvd., Studio City
When: Open Sunday through Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to midnight, Thursday through Saturday from 5:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. Full bar. Valet parking.
Cost: Starters, $9 to $18; main courses, $24 to $41; desserts, $7 to $11.
Info: (818) 760-3177; www.romanovla.com.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 2:37 AM

Thursday, March 29, 2007
Maki-Zushi sets the bar high for quality and freshness
The Tustin eatery specializes in the art of sushi, but its cooked dishes are prepared with equal freshness and skill.
By CYNTHIA FUREY
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

One night while dining at Maki-Zushi in Tustin, I saw two men plow through the restaurant's glass doors, struggling to walk with the weight of a massive, rectangular box. They unloaded the box at the sushi bar and proceeded to open it, revealing a gorgeous, fresh-from-the-sea bluefin tuna. The scene was drawing a crowd from all the diners, who had gathered at the sushi bar to ooh and ah at the beast, wondering how in the world the men were going to cut it down to resemble the chunks of tuna in their sushi and sashimi.

Maki-Zushi sets the bar high for quality and freshness of ingredients. Purveyors make daily deliveries of seafood, flown in from various parts of the world. The restaurant's de'cor is also clean and bright, resembling a lot of its dishes.

Dining at Maki-Zushi on another night, I had a meal so fresh that it literally almost jumped off of my plate. A live amaebi (sweet shrimp, market price around $12), twitched and wiggled while being presented on a plate, right before its head was taken to the kitchen to be lightly battered and fried for consumption. The shrimp's body was laid nigiri-style on a bed of rice and wasabi. The dish is balanced and delicious, with a stark contrast between the raw shrimp nigiri and the fried shrimp. Both were buttery and soft, the fried shrimp with a delicate crunch, and the nigiri was absolutely pure, with the slightest hint of sweetness.

The live scallop (market price is about $7) was equally fresh, served on a scallop shell lined with paper-thin slices of cucumbers and lemon wedges. Scallops are deemed a "beginner sushi" by the restaurant, with a sublime gelatinous texture that melts away with each chew. Other live menu items from the bar include abalone, uni and surf clams. Live items are market priced.

Chef and co-owner Yoshio Sakamato also offers a wide array of sushi rolls (try the Rainbow Roll, $10), cooked seafood and steaks. From a $3 appetizer plate of lightly salted and steamed edamame to a $90 premium sashimi feast, there are plates available to suit any budget. Cooked food is prepared and served in the same disciplined and painstaking fashion that is employed at the sushi bar.

One can make a meal out of appetizers alone. A sampling of udon noodles ($4) has tiny slivers of seaweed floating among thick, chewy noodles. The udon's broth is a real standout and is almost tangy upon first sip, giving a bit more flavor to the muted noodles.

Scallop Dynamite ($8) lives up to its name. Tiny scallops are baked in a creamy sauce with shiitake and enoki mushrooms and masago (fish roe). The cream sauce provides a certain comfort to the dish without overpowering the scallops and mushrooms. The dish achieves its intended delicate balance.

Yellowtail Kama ($9) is highly recommended. The broiled fish cheek comes to the table looking like it will be heavy and tedious to eat, but appearances are deceiving. Each bite is tender and wispy, almost disappearing in your mouth. The fish's crispy skin is an added bonus. Also worth a try is the Soft-shell Crab ($7), served on a bed of radish sprouts and topped with masago.

You really can't go wrong with entrees either. A Sushi and Sashimi Platter ($20) includes a tuna roll, four pieces of sushi and nine pieces of sashimi. The colorful meal is rounded out with a house salad and a small bowl of the wonderful udon.

The Sea Bass Yuzu ($19) is a delectably fresh piece of fish, sitting atop a mound of green-tea pasta. Bell peppers and shiitake mushrooms are sprinkled in, and the dish is tossed and drizzled with a house-made citrus butter sauce. The fish is flaky and cooked to perfection, causing my dining companion and I to sit in awe as we chewed each bite slowly. The dish is unexpectedly powerfully flavored, a departure from the delicate flavors of the restaurant's other dishes. Though wary of the bell peppers, I found them to be a nice addition to the dish.

A Charbroiled Skirt Steak ($20) is another one of the menu's surprises. Side dishes of potatoes gratin and vegetables are mediocre compared with the main attraction of sliced steak. Fresh and cooked seafood are excellent, and the steak also falls under this category.

Try as I might, I found not a single bland or subpar dish out of Maki-Zushi's menu items that we sampled. Maki-Zushi easily earns its place as one of my favorite Orange County restaurants. Dishes are prepared gracefully and seem effortless, while presentation and taste are en pointe. It's a wonder to me how a small restaurant can specialize in the art of sushi, yet still churn out cooked dishes at the same high level of quality. This little place is doing big things.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:12 AM

Sunday, April 1, 2007
Thousands celebrate end of Persian New Year
Celebrants start year 'with a good heart'
By PEGGY LOWE
The Orange County Register

IRVINE – Silver tea pots and soccer balls. Bean soup and barbecues. Hookah pipes and wet wipes.

Thousands of Iranians descended Sunday on a park here in one of the newest communities in the country to celebrate a most ancient tradition, Sizdah Bedar, the 13th and final day of the Persian New Year.

The New Year, called Norooz, is a holiday that transcends religion and regimes and is considered the most revered celebration in Iranian culture. It is set around the spring equinox and has been celebrated for more than 2,500 years by Persians, the largest ethnic group in Iran. An estimated 500,000 live in Southern California.

Begun at 5:20 p.m. last Tuesday, people visit their family, get new clothes and receive money as gifts. It is a day to forgive grievances, think positively and ring in the New Year with family and friends, no matter the world's problems.

"It doesn't matter if you are Jewish, Christian or Muslim, you all go to the New Year celebration and sit together," said Zohreh Mousavinezhad of Laguna Niguel. "You start the New Year with a good heart."

So while Iran's detainment of 15 British sailors and marines dominated the Sunday morning news programs, people were already streaming into Mason Regional Park, set for a day of fun rather than focusing on bad news from their former country. Mousavinezhad's son-in-law, Darius Pirnazar, said there would be little talk of the crisis in Tehran.

"They're tired of talking about politics," he said. "Usually it's about what the New Year will be and what the last year was about."

Considered a bad omen to stay indoors on the 13th day, people gather in parks, bringing traditional goodies like raisin cookies and kebobs for the barbeque. People play backgammon and smoke fruit-scented tobacco on the hookah, or water pipe.

Organizers expected approximately 30,000 people and many, like Carmelo Rodriguez, came early to stake out a site in the shade. Rodriguez, who is Puerto Rican, is part of a family that includes Iranian-Americans and always celebrates the New Year here.

"This is where we come and meet each other. This is our yearly reunion," said Malinni Roeun, a member of Rodriguez's family. "Life's too busy."

Plates of fruit, pistachios and potato chips were laid out on rugs under tents, and tea was brewed in tall silver pots kept hot on camping stoves. Mousavinezhad's family did their picnic in potluck style and she brought ashresheth, a noodle soup made with beans and beef broth.

Many also brought sabzeh,clumps of wheat sprout grown to represent prosperity in the new year. They believe that keeping the sabzeh in the home past the 13th day is bad luck.

But the green shoots can also be used by singles wishing to get married, tying a knot for good luck, while others used the shoots for their new year's wishes.

At the urging of the Network of Iranian-American Professionals of Orange County, the city of Irvine for the first time this year hung banners celebrating the Persian New Year.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 1:57 AM

April 11, 2007
Caribbean flavor to a Cuban beat
Mayumba Cuban Restaurant's top-notch kitchen sends out home-style favorites in an unlikely but lively Rosemead setting.

By Linda Burum, Special to The Times

The mojitos are lined up three deep on the bar. Conga drums throb, vibrating through the bones of every customer in the dining room. On the tightly packed dance floor, people move to the frenzied rhythms of salsa-like timbas belted out by a local Cuban band. Everyone else — including little kids — beats time to the rhythms at their tables.

It's a typical Saturday night at Mayumba Cuban Restaurant, a place so full of personality you'd never expect to find it among the big-box mega stores in a suburban mall in Rosemead.

But the lively weekend scene is a stark contrast to the laid-back mood on a weeknight or at lunch. In the daytime, Mayumba has a Caribbean feel lent by mottled sunlight filtered through the swaying palms planted just outside its many windows.

The starched white tablecloths, upholstered chairs and attentive waiters conjure a lush, if imaginary, turn-of-the-last-century colonial setting. It's a good place to luxuriate over a decadent afternoon meal because the restaurant is open throughout the day.

This kitchen takes Cuban sandwiches to new heights. The voluptuous sandwich de cerdo holds a juicy slab of marinated roast pork topped with soft, slightly caramelized strands of saute'ed onions that meld into the grilled Cuban bread.

An equally bodacious media noche sandwich layered with thick slices of lean pork loin, ham and Swiss cheese comes on a slightly sweet, grilled roll. It should feed four, but it takes the discipline of a drill sergeant to leave enough for a doggie bag.

You may hear the whir of a coffee mill, indicating your after-lunch coffee being ground to order. It's the kind of touch indicative of this kitchen's MO.

Servings are so generous that a group of four or six could easily do a small plates or family-style meal sharing several appetizers and entrees such as paella. Paella is often iffy in local Cuban restaurants, but Mayumba's fresh, light preparation is a standout. It's loaded with shellfish, chicken, bits of sausage and just enough perfectly cooked saffron-tomato rice to hold everything together. At $20, it's the most expensive dish on the menu.

Appetizers are all classics: papas rellenas, their paper-thin, crisp crust covering a sphere of creamy potato that encapsulates a ground beef picadillo filling, come in pairs. They're great with drinks or wine. The empanadas have the same picadillo filling, and the yuca frita, crunchy starchy fingers of the fried potato-like root, seem to evaporate in your mouth. But salads, rarely a Cuban kitchen's strong suit, aren't particularly interesting here.

Light eaters may opt for the sopa marinera as an entree, although this Cuban-style bouillabaisse is listed as an appetizer. Its generous helpings of briny shell-on clams, fat crab legs, shrimp and fish float in a delicious garlicky, tomato-accented broth.

Rabo encendido, loosely translated as "tail on fire," might suggest chile heat, but this traditional soupy, meaty, beef-tail stew has none; instead the broth is rich with wine, onions and garlic. Such dishes seem designed to be mopped up with sides of fried plantains, either sweet (maduros) or green (tostones), and black beans and rice or a combination of the two (moros y cristianos).

The menu is filled with homespun favorites that every Cuban grandmother has mastered, including boliche mechado, lean sausage-stuffed brisket braised to fall-apart tenderness in a tomato-based sauce.

Cuba's Caribbean nature is evident in its famous sour orange juice-garlic marinade, which Mayumba uses with great skill to flavor its splendid lecho'n asado, or roast pork, and to add fragrance to a juicy roast chicken.

You can taste it too in a plate of masitas de cerdo. Clearly a relative of carnitas, these lean marinated pork chunks have a fried-to-a-crisp exterior that breaks through to a meaty center exploding with porcine flavor.

Juicy kick to beef

The marinade is even used, though sparingly, to season the house skirt steak, providing just the right kick to accent its beefy flavor. And hallelujah, the kitchen cuts the steaks moderately thick rather than in the paper-thin style usually seen in Latino restaurants; it also pays attention to requests for medium rare.

A short list of modestly priced wines, primarily from Spain and Latin America, includes Marque's de Riscal Rioja, a perfect balance for the garlicky goodness of a Cuban meal.

But though the kitchen lavishes attention on its entrees and sandwiches, it is surprisingly dismissive of desserts.

An unexceptional tres leches cake seems of supermarket quality. A reasonable flan and huge portions of glace'ed fruits (papaya, coconut or guava) make a nice post-entree bite of sweetness for everyone at the table, but the traditional accompaniment of cream cheese is a minuscule commercially packaged cup.

Never mind. You're likely to have more fun forgoing the sweets to join the action on the dance floor.

Mayumba Cuban Restaurant
Location: 3514 Rosemead Blvd. (in Rosemead Place mall), Rosemead, (626) 572-9558.
Price: Side orders and snacks, $3 to $7; lunch entrees and sandwiches, $6 to $8; dinner entrees, $12 to $20.
Best dishes: Cuban sandwiches, lechon asado (roast pork), Mayumba steak, paella, boliche mechado (stuffed, braised brisket).
Details: Open from 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday; 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Lot parking. Full bar. All major credit cards.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 2:00 AM

April 11, 2007
Park's Bar-B-Q sizzles in Koreatown
When it comes to grill-your-own barbecue, a night at Park's means great food and a hopping scene.

By S. Irene Virbila, Times Staff Writer

Koreatown is home to dozens, if not hundreds of barbecue restaurants. Some are smoky hole-in-the-walls where you come away smelling like charcoal and beef. Others are grand, well-lighted spaces with big comfy booths and servers in old-fashioned waitress uniforms. Some have tented outdoor dining rooms where you grill octopus over a gas flame while the rain pelts down outside.

For my money, though, Park's Bar-B-Q on Vermont is the best of the genre. With its hard-edged contemporary de'cor — black walls and sleek stainless-steel hoods above the grills — it evokes modern-day Seoul more than a rustic place in the country. This is the new Korea, urban and fast-paced. Servers are mostly male and buff, dressed in black T-shirts and sporting the latest gelled coif. And instead of scrolls or country textiles, the walls are decorated with signed and framed photos of Korean television stars and athletes. When South Korean baseball player Chan Ho Park was pitching for the San Diego Padres, he was a regular here.

But what really sets Park's apart is the quality of the beef, which is prime. The typical slightly sweet marinade seems lighter too, allowing the flavor of the beef to come through loud and clear.

Park's Bar-B-Q is one place where you won't have to wonder whether the chef will be in if you decide to go out on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. That's because, at this Korean barbecue restaurant and at every other of the genre, you are the chef.

Sure, the waiter helps by spreading the meat over the hot coals in the middle of the table and stops by from time to time to see how things are going, moving some of the short ribs or beef brisket toward the cooler edges of the grill as it cooks, cutting it into smaller pieces with a giant pair of scissors. Or snipping an onion into neat slices, the better to char and caramelize at the edges. But the main cooking is done by you and your party. You are the one who decides when the beef or tongue is done.

Some people like their meat on the rare side, the better to appreciate the quality of the beef. Others like it really charred, and if everyone at the table gets caught up in conversation and distracted, you may have no choice. Turn over the cooking chopsticks to the most responsible party. My friend Sonya, who is Korean American, says her father insists on bringing his own pair of scissors with him to the restaurant, just so he won't have to wait for the server to arrive at a critical moment to cut the kalbi (short ribs) off the bone.

I'm always worried at Korean barbecues that we won't order enough food. At Park's, though, six can easily share four orders (i.e., pounds) of meat, or, if you're not particularly heroic eaters, probably three would do you. So while at first glance it seems more expensive than similar restaurants, that $27 for marinated prime short ribs is by the pound, not necessarily per person. Remember, too, that that price is not just for the one hunk of beef, but for the entire meal, from the array of complimentary pan chan, or little dishes, at the beginning to fresh fruit at the end.

The selection of pan chan is a little more sophisticated too. When the server comes out, she starts setting down a dozen different items for each side of the table until the entire surface is covered with round white dishes. Some hold fiery kimchi, the cabbage condiment fermented with garlic, ginger and chile that's so much a part of every Korean meal. There's the bean paste dosed with chile to dab on your meat, something like a tanked-up miso.

With all these strong flavors, a salad of thinly sliced boiled potatoes in oil and vinegar slips in like a wallflower, shy but interesting. A mound of mashed yam dotted with raisins is starchy and sweet, offering relief from the heat. There are a couple of raw crab legs in a deliriously complex red hot sauce (save some to go with your meat), squid in more red sauce. And much more. The selection changes all the time.

We ordered a seafood pancake as an appetizer, but it came in the middle of the meal: a gorgeous-looking thick disk, almost like clafouti, bubbled up around raw shrimp that have just been warmed in the cooking. The bright yellow pancake is comforting and delicious.

Gather 'round the fire

Meanwhile, ladies and gentlemen, prepare to grill. A female server wheels over a cart with the meats we've selected from the menu. First is our rib-eye, which, surprisingly, is a thick, well-marbled steak, instead of being pre-sliced. It goes on the grill with an audible sizzle. As it begins to cook, when it's still rare, the server takes her scissors and cuts it into bite-sized pieces, the better for the beef to get a char on all sides.

We're snatching pieces off while the beef is still pink, tearing off pieces of red-leaf lettuce and adding a little kimchi, sliced jalapen~os or raw garlic, maybe a dab of that rich, rustic bean paste, rolling it up into a bundle and eating. That way the meat doesn't scorch your fingers, but juices do drip. The combination of flavors is sheer fireworks and each bite is different.

Next the server unfurls the prime short ribs, wide ribbons of beef still attached at one end to the bone. The marinade here seems less sweet than it is at some Korean barbecues, just enough to help the meat caramelize. As these, too, begin to brown, our server is back with her scissors, deftly snipping the beef into bite-sized pieces. When she's about to make off with the bone, one of our party stops her, and she laughs. Of course we want the bone. Who wouldn't? There isn't much meat on it, but those shreds of beef, burnt at the edge, are delicious.

I've tried the beef brisket a couple of times, but it's less compelling. And I'm not inclined to order the short ribs sans bones, which is an option here. In my opinion, everything tastes better cooked on the bone.

A filling deal

Finally, the pie`ce de re'sistance: pork belly, an impressive half-inch-thick slab of wide fat and lean streaked pork. When it first goes on the grill, you're thinking, ugh, I can't eat that much fat, but trust me, in the cooking the pork belly shrinks and solidifies, the fat and the lean meld together, browning, turning a rich red-mahogany on the outside. It's utterly seductive.

If, after everything has been cooked and eaten, someone at the table is still hungry, you can always order a bi bim bap (the typical stone bowl of rice with condiments stirred in to taste) or a bowl of noodles. But this circumstance has never come up in any of my numerous visits.

The great thing at Park's is that you can eat and eat, and just when you're looking for the bill to give you a body blow, it comes to $20 a person, or at most $25. And given the fact that upstairs are a couple of private rooms with long tables fitted with two grills, Park's would be a perfect place to celebrate a birthday or any other event (finishing the marathon, your dissertation, your diet). The wine list is perfunctory, but you can always bring your own. Corkage is free for the first bottle, $10 thereafter.

On one occasion when we are eating upstairs, all the other chairs upstairs have been turned upside down and the floor scrubbed by the time we emerge at 10:30. Downstairs, however, is still in full swing. Groups of young hipsters in graphic T-shirts are sharing a meal together. At a table across the room, a toddler seated between her mother and her grandmother reaches for the rice. In Korean culture, eating barbecue begins early in life.

Park's Bar-B-Q

Location: 955 S. Vermont Ave. (at San Marino Street), Los Angeles; (213) 380-1717.
Ambience: Two-story Koreatown barbecue in strip mall with private rooms upstairs and downstairs, a savvy urban crowd reveling in prime beef and other meats grilled over coals at the table.
Service: Brusque and efficient, helpful to non-Koreans.
Price: Barbecue items, $22 to $30, including an array of side dishes; soups, stews and noodle dishes, $8 to $15.
Best dishes: Pork belly, marinated kalbi, rib-eye steak, seafood pancake, pan chan (little dishes).
Wine list: Very limited; corkage fee, free for the first bottle, $10 thereafter.
Best table: One of the private rooms upstairs.
Details: Open daily from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Beer and wine. Valet parking, $1 daytime, $2 at night.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:55 AM

Thursday, April 12, 2007
Restaurant offers legitimate Vietnamese fare
Review: Bamboo Bistro, a relative of the famed Little Saigon eateries, offers a fusion feast in Corona del Mar.
By KATHERINE NGUYEN
The Orange County Register

Perhaps it was the name that threw me off, or maybe my blind allegiance to restaurants in Little Saigon, but I never figured Bamboo Bistro in Corona del Mar to be a place that served legitimate Vietnamese fare.

I mean, Bamboo Bistro sounds like one of those Americanized, pan-Asian joints, right? And it's located in the charming but very non-Vietnamese town of Newport Beach, so how credible could it be?

So it was much to my surprise when I discovered that Bamboo Bistro was actually the sister restaurant to the famed Brodard restaurants in Little Saigon. When the eagerly anticipated Brodard Chateau opened last year in Garden Grove, patrons oohed and ahhed. Brodard took what it made famous – the quintessential Vietnamese spring roll – and unveiled a fusion take with seared ahi.

Alas, it was nothing new over at Bamboo Bistro. As it turns out, most of the star dish-es at the Chateau, like the Sea Bass Curry and Prawn and Mango Salad – were already steady favorites at the 6-year-old Bamboo Bistro.

And after dining there four times in the past two weeks, I think I'm ready to admit I was wrong. Luckily, instead of having to eat crow, I walked into the cozy neighborhood eatery (it's at the corner of a residential area) and was treated to a new Bamboo Bistro creation. Just when I thought the Ahi Spring Roll ($9), which is beautifully presented as a sushi cut roll, couldn't possibly be topped, owner Chau Dang-Haller turned out a mouthwatering follow-up: Roasted Duck Spring Rolls ($8). Chunks of tender and savory duck with crispy skin, nestled amid fluffy vermicelli noodles, fresh lettuce, cucumber and asparagus, all snugly enveloped in pliable rice paper. They arrived in two rolls, sliced in half – not nearly enough to satisfy the urge to eat 10.

After sampling such delectable flavors as Brodard's trademark Roasted Pork Spring Rolls, Grilled Shrimp Spring Rolls and even the simpler Fresh Shrimp and Pork Rolls, I found it difficult to get excited about the much tamer Vegetarian Spring Rolls ($5), which came with tofu, noodles, lettuce and carrots.

Despite the similarity in offerings between the Brodard eateries, it's obvious who Bamboo Bistro caters to, and that's perfectly understandable. There are barely any Vietnamese words on the menu, hardly any Vietnamese names for any of the dishes, save for the pho and banh xeo, or Vietnamese crepes. Most of the menu seemed to borrow from mainstream Asian dish-es.

The Chicken Satay ($8), surprisingly, had a delicious charred surface. And although I'm not a fan of the sweet peanut sauce, Bamboo Bistro's robust version delivered a spicy kick that made us want to slather it over everything else. Other basic Thai dishes included Pad Thai (with shrimp, chicken or tofu) and a few Thai soups, like the Chicken Coconut Soup, a rich and creamy broth with bamboo shoots, mushrooms and crunchy bits of chopped peanuts ($8). The Vegetable Tom Yum ($10) arrived in a metal tureen heated over a small flame. Strips of firm tofu, bok choy and mushrooms floated atop an amber-hued lemongrass broth that was initially a little too sweet for my taste, but went well when ladled over the accompanying portion of thin vermicelli for a mini serving of noodle soup.

I was happy to discover that the Shredded Chicken Salad ($8) was very true to the Vietnamese goi ga, with torn bits of moist white chicken on a bed of julienned cabbage, carrots, mint and fried shallots, all tossed in what was described as a house vinaigrette, which I suspected was a citrus-y and light nuoc mam. Either way, it was better than the fancier (and drier) version I had at Brodard Chateau.

The Sea Bass Curry ($22) came out a beautiful and hefty filet bathed in a zesty golden curry atop delicate slices of shiitake mushrooms and eggplant. We were given round discs of Malaysian bread called roti to sop up the delicious curry, but how I longed for some warm loaves of French bread to do the trick. The Tiger Prawns With Garlic Noodles ($17) proved another winning choice, with supple and thick noodles wok-fried in a lip-smacking garlic sauce and topped with four grilled prawns.

To end the meal, we opted for the Banana Crepe ($6). Slices of warm banana were slathered in gooey chocolate and hazelnut Nutella goodness and wrapped in a thin and caramelized pancake. We also tried the coconut sorbet ($4) but found it a little too coconut-y.

When our bill arrived, we were amused by what came with it: fortune cookies, just like the kind you get at, well, you know.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 2:22 AM

April 18, 2007
Danny's is a deli with a difference
Rising to meet a need in Venice, its light, airy space and eclectic menu buck stereotypes. So why not stay awhile?

By Susan LaTempa, Times Staff Writer

LOX, matzo ball soup and corned beef sandwiches are on the menu, but Danny's Venice Deli isn't a traditional Jewish delicatessen — and getting comfortable with that idea is key to enjoying the many pleasures it offers. Over time, it's likely to become a daily haven for a community of regulars and — who knows? — someday it might be the very model of the genre. For now, Danny's is a unique and appealing hybrid.

The location, one of the original arcaded Venice-in-America buildings (circa 1906) at the foot of Windward Avenue, is a treasured landmark. Owners Danny Samakow and James Evans (who also own James Beach and the Canal Club) have collaborated with building owners and arts patrons Simone Scharff and the late Warner Scharff in an evocative renewal of what some may remember as the '80s-era home of the St. Mark's Jazz Club.

It's essentially two adjacent storefronts, one housing a bar and deli counter and the other a section with cozy, high-sided booths, tables and big windows looking out at the colorful street scene. There's none of the grab-and-go sterility of some delis; warm wooden floors, high ceilings and flattering lighting make it easy to linger.

Art and artifacts that highlight Venice history are on display: a gondola that once plied the local canals, vintage photographs, a collaged tin artwork by Tony Berlant, a bronze model for his Duke Ellington Memorial by sculptor Robert Graham (who was lunching at Danny's on a recent weekday). Famous artists, movie actors and politicians are depicted in a genial wall painting by Rip Cronk, whose murals such as the portrait of Jim Morrison are a part of the local landscape.

Danny's ever-improving kitchen has been charged with no easy task: producing contemporary versions of homey Jewish standards along with a selection of chophouse favorites, beachy Mediterranean-inflected offerings and accessible brunch and happy-hour dishes.

The menu is perhaps too broad, but it's carefully designed and shows a good understanding of what the neighborhood's diners-out, be they Venetians or visitors, are looking for.

Think of Danny's as where the deli meets the brew pub. It's great to step in from the over-stimulation on the boardwalk and be able to order an old-school martini, a microbrew or a glass of wine and a bowl of steamed Manila clams.

There's a happy-hour menu offered between 4 and 6 p.m. of snacks such as fries, hummus and pita. "Venice artist meals" — half-orders of selected menu items such as rotisserie chicken or fish and chips — are just $7. You can get breakfast until 3 p.m.

The neighborhood's so hungry for a spot like Danny's that even though the place opened very quietly (in late December), it's been discovered by many and prematurely dismissed by some. There are often problems with service, so don't come if you're in a hurry or feeling put-upon. Staffers are inexperienced, and delays and order mistakes are common. But apologies and amendments are conscientiously made.

Dinner entrees are among the best dishes. Baked white fish is a terrific comfort-food update, a mild but meaty, breaded fillet served with a deliciously herbal dill, cucumber and tomato relish. Short ribs are tender and flavorful with a rich mushroom sauce.

Sandwiches are satisfying and adroitly prepared with none of that sky-high nonsense that turns a turkey sandwich into an aptitude test. The Reuben has a good portion of juicy grilled beef or turkey pastrami and just the right amount of Gruye`re and sauerkraut on fragrant fresh rye. The hearty falafel burger is outstanding, with a nicely spiced patty, grilled onions and crunchy sprouts.

Of the test-a-deli dishes we try, the lox platter (though it's touted on the menu) is just OK; beet salad is perfect, lightly pickled with the fresh flavors of seeds and spices; chopped liver is middling to good, rich and not too moussey. Matzo ball soup has full-bodied, delicious broth with plenty of dark-meat chicken and a judicious number of flat noodles and bits of tender-crisp carrots and squash, but the matzo balls are closer to cannonballs than clouds.

A light touch at the deep fryer means there are some terrific beer-friendly options. Thin, crunchy, house-made potato chips are delectable (but add salt to taste) and enough arrive in the "gondola" to serve four to six for noshing.

Breakfast and brunch menus offer remarkably seductive custard-style challah French toast and excellent house-made corned beef hash.

In the first months that Danny's was open, the deli case was often bewilderingly empty except for a few small bowls of salads. Now there are more salads as well as meats and cheeses on display.

But the kitchen, not the delicatessen, is the center of action at Danny's, and as that kitchen is more consistently able to deliver on chef Shari Lynne Robins' well-conceived menu, the distinction won't be important.

In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the good, crisp, garlic dill pickles are up to snuff.

Danny's Venice Deli

Location: 23 Windward Ave., Venice, (310) 566-5610. www.dannysvenicedeli.com.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 10:43 AM

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mortons12may12,1,1081963.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctra
From the Los Angeles Times
ENTERTAINMENT

Mortons to be a memory

The iconic Hollywood haunt says it will close its doors this year. A British club owner plans to take over the space.
By Annette Haddad
Times Staff Writer

May 12, 2007

For Hollywood's elite, it was the place to gather on Monday nights. Table location determined your position in the pecking order. On Oscar night, winners clutched their awards as they made their way through a gantlet of air kisses and fawning congratulations.

Now, the Mortons era is ending. On Friday, the iconic West Hollywood eatery announced it would close its doors at the end of the year.

Plans call for the space to be converted by British hotelier Nick Jones into a members-only social club called Soho House West Hollywood.

"That's sad to hear," said Pat Kingsley, longtime celebrity publicist and frequent Mortons diner whose office is just two blocks away. "Mortons is a nice, comfortable, intimate place to relax."

Like the earlier shuttering of such haunts as Chasen's and Ma Maison, the planned closing of Mortons marks the passing of a Hollywood era.

Mortons was where the likes of Michael Ovitz, Michael Eisner, Sherry Lansing and Barry Diller held court when they ruled the town, with a celebrity quotient higher than most movie premieres.

Power players would go there to be seen but appreciated the spacious dining area that allowed for private conversations.

The phrase "Monday Nights at Mortons," when the powerful would regularly gather at the restaurant, came to symbolize a Hollywood culture in which as much business was done over free-range chicken and chopped salads as was conducted in office suites.

The late producer Julia Phillips immortalized Mortons in her bestselling 1991 Hollywood memoir, "You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again."

Mortons was opened in 1979 — located first on the southwest corner of Melrose Avenue and Robertson Boulevard before moving across the street in 1994 — by Peter Morton, scion of the well-known family of American restaurateurs and founder of the Hard Rock Cafe. For the last two decades, his sister Pam has operated the eatery.

"We have enjoyed serving so many great people in Los Angeles and have always appreciated their patronage," Peter Morton said. "Many deals and friendships were made at Mortons, and in closing the doors it now becomes a piece of L.A.'s history."

Morton said his sister had decided "to move on and explore other passions in her life." People close to Morton added that a lease dispute contributed to the decision to close the restaurant.

One night a year, Mortons was the toughest ticket in town as the site of Vanity Fair's post-Oscar party hosted by Editor Graydon Carter. Vanity Fair executives could not be reached on whether they would continue to book the location.

But Jones, founder and chief executive of London-based Soho House Group, which operates private clubs and hotels in London and New York and several restaurants and spas in Britain, said he hoped that the party would go on at the site.

"We've always maintained strong links with Vanity Fair and conversations are ongoing," Jones said.

A nascent player on the Hollywood scene, Jones, 43, has been hosting his own Oscar-related events here since 2003. He has had to rent locations, usually local estates, for his annual week of pre-Oscar night soirees.

"The last four years made us fall in love with the town," he said.

With his Soho House West Hollywood, Jones said he wanted to offer a private meeting and dining environment for media and entertainment figures by invitation only. He declined to detail the membership criteria.

"There seems to be an appetite for this sort of thing in L.A.," Jones said.

Jones said he planned on spending about $5 million to renovate the 8,000-square-foot property, which he is leasing and won't take over until January.

Until then, Mortons is expected to remain open.

"It's been a blast," Morton said.

annette.haddad@latimes.com

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 1:49 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-cafeterias27may27,1,7342713.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

From the Los Angeles Times
Hungry for history at Clifton's

Lovers of L.A.'s fading cafeteria culture convene at the famous downtown eatery for a trip down memory lane and through the line.
By Larry Gordon
Times Staff Writer

May 27, 2007

If you are going to celebrate the savory but shrinking legacy of cafeterias in the Los Angeles area, why not go to the ground zero of meatloaf, carrot salad and strawberry shortcake?

That was why about 70 hungry members of the Southern California Restaurant Historical Society gathered Saturday at Clifton's Brookdale cafeteria, the landmark eatery that has been feeding downtown Los Angeles diners at reasonable prices in its simulated redwood forest setting since 1935.

Chris Nichols, an architectural historian who is the society's president, said it is important to treasure Clifton's because so many other cafeterias in the region have disappeared. Beadle's in Pasadena closed six months ago, and other branches of Clifton's have shut their doors over the years.

"I hate it when someone says they have a favorite old tiny restaurant, but they haven't been there for 20 years. I want people to come and live it and enjoy while it is still here, while it is thriving and still alive," Nichols said.

The mountain forest decor at Clifton's Brookdale — with a waterfall, a tableau of a family fishing for trout and a tiny inspirational chapel perched on a rocky ledge — is beloved as an "over-the-top fantasy world," Nichols said. "It's incredible to have a total immersive environment from the '30s that you can just walk into for the price of a cup of jello."

In a third-floor room decorated in a Victorian-era style, Nichols presented a slide show and talk on his new book, "The Leisure Architecture of Wayne McAllister," about the designer of many popular carhop restaurants, hotels and nightclubs from the '20s to the '50s.

Other speakers Saturday included Times food writer Charles Perry, who attributed the rise of cafeterias in Los Angeles in part to their innovation of delivering food without a wait or waiter but with a selection that could be easily seen.

Cafeterias proved popular with the large number of conservative Midwestern immigrants, who enjoyed the hearty food and liquor-free atmosphere, Perry told the gathering. They became a center of social and political life in the '20s and '30s, but declined as older downtowns lost population to automobile-dominated suburbs and tastes changed, he said.

The biggest applause of the two-hour meeting erupted when Robert Clinton, whose grandfather Clifford Clinton founded the Clifton's cafeteria chain, announced that last year his family finally bought the building at 648 S. Broadway after seven decades of leasing.

That will protect the restaurant from the rent increases and leasing disputes that contributed to the deaths of so many other cafeterias, he said.

Business has grown a bit recently from the new loft and condo residents in downtown, and Clinton thinks they are "going to be a very important element of our customer base going forward."

In a region stuffed with the latest in sushi and pizza fads, nostalgia plays a part too at such surviving cafeterias as Clifton's and at Arnold's, a Long Beach institution founded in 1951.

"People will come came back after 30 years and say, 'I remember eating this macaroni and cheese and apple pie.' And the recipes are the same recipes we've used all these years," Clinton said. "Maybe that's part of the secret. People like things that are familiar. And they like things that don't change."

His family's restaurant, which seats more than 600, was quite busy Saturday with non-historians, including many Latino families on shopping treks along Broadway.

Among the popular items were pear-lime jello, $1.49; strawberry shortcake, $2.39; a plate of beef noodles, $3.99; meatloaf with stuffed potatoes, $5.79; and roast turkey with dressing, $6.54.

After hours of discussion, members of the restaurant historical society were eager for lunch. Nichols, who is an editor at Los Angeles Magazine, went along the food line downstairs with enthusiasm. He loaded his tray with a lettuce salad with French dressing; a bowl of three-bean salad; an entree of sliced turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce; pumpkin cream pie; and watermelon juice. The tab was $14.46.

larry.gordon@latimes.com

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 5:06 AM

Untapped tourism gems?
L.A.'s ethnic enclaves tend to be overlooked by visitors. A project aims to advertise their attractions and offer an economic boost.
By Teresa Watanabe, Times Staff Writer
June 9, 2007

In Highland Park, an explosion of art galleries in the last few years has made the neighborhood a leading light of contemporary Latino art in Los Angeles.

East Hollywood, meanwhile, features a profusion of Thai restaurants and spas, along with Armenian bakeries, shops and a boat-shaped library, which reflects the legend that Noah's Ark came to rest on an Armenian mountain.

And in Leimert Park, hip-hop artists, drummers and jazz and blues musicians have turned the tree-lined pedestrian space into a vibrant center of African American performance art.

But the three Los Angeles County neighborhoods, which are often overlooked by tourists, also have struggled because of a challenging business environment and physical deterioration. According to the 2000 Census, the three neighborhoods have lower median household incomes and higher poverty rates than the county average.

Now UCLA is partnering with nonprofit L.A. Commons and several other companies and organizations in an effort to turn the economic tide. The project, called Uncommon L.A., is touting cultural tourism to the three neighborhoods as a way to help bring in free-spending tourists to boost economic development. Among other things, the project is sponsoring a summer-long series of tours to the areas, including an exploration of Highland Park's art galleries tonight.

"Most tourists from other cities tend to see only a small part of L.A. — Disney Hall, Griffith Park … " said Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris, chair of the UCLA urban planning department, who helped launch Uncommon L.A. "But there is a whole vibrant part of Los Angeles they're missing: all of our ethnic neighborhoods. If we can help make them more visible, we see this as a model for economic development," she said.

Michael McDowell of the Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau agrees that the city's ethnic enclaves are a potential draw for tourists. Although the top five Los Angeles tourist attractions offer quintessential Southern California features of sun, fun and glitz — Universal Studios, the Getty Center, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive and Venice Beach — ethnic neighborhoods may be of particular interest to repeat visitors who already have seen the region's major landmarks, he said.

Half of the 25 million tourists who visit Los Angeles annually are from the San Diego-San Francisco-Phoenix triangle, he said, and probably are familiar with the region.

"They've done the landmarks," McDowell said. "They're looking for something new."

The experience of other cities suggests that cultural tourism can effectively boost economic development, according to Anne McAulay, director of cultural development for L.A. Commons, the community organization that is partnering with UCLA.

Boston's "Beyond Baked Beans" program, for instance, offers detailed guides to 19 neighborhoods. In the approximately 10 years the program has run, the districts have gained more than 3,600 jobs, 540 new businesses, 517 design improvement projects and more than $11 million in grants and private investment to the area, according to McAulay's research.

That research helped lay the groundwork for Uncommon L.A., which is being funded by a two-year, $75,000 grant from the UCLA Center for Community Partnerships. McAulay and others also have taken surveys of area merchants and compiled "cultural inventories" of each neighborhood so that they can map the restaurants, art galleries and other assets and use the information to develop a marketing plan for the three ethnic areas.

Many of the neighborhood merchants, artists and community leaders have embraced the project.

"It would be absolutely great to have more cultural tourists down here," said James Fugate, co-owner of Eso Won Books in Leimert Park, which is an enclave of African American businesses, cultural organizations and Art Deco architecture just off Crenshaw Boulevard in the Crenshaw district. "They would help the area a tremendous amount."

Fugate said his business has plunged by 50% since he moved his store, a large African American book store, from La Brea and Rodeo Avenues last October because of rising rents. Leimert Park is more affordable, he said, but a tad "lonely" when it comes to foot traffic, he said.

Uncommon L.A. aims to increase visitors by touting Leimert Park's performance art — jazz at World Stage, blues at Babe's and Ricky's Inn, and hip-hop at KAOS Network. But whether that will help boost business for area merchants is uncertain, mainly because performances usually don't start until 9 p.m., long after vendors selling African American jewelry, clothing, art and other artifacts close shop.

Over in the heart of Thai Town, restaurant owner Som Chai Jansaeng also described the challenges facing businesses that line Hollywood Boulevard between North Normandie and North Western avenues. Ever since the city officially designated the area as Thai Town in 1999, more tourists have visited but his profit margins and customer base have not grown, said Jansaeng, whose Ruen Pair restaurant features a decor of temple rubbings, Thai puppets and a red and gold Buddhist altar.

A proliferation of Thai restaurants has increased competition, he said. And rents have more than doubled in the last several years to $3.25 per square foot today, Jansaeng said.

Chancee Martorell, executive director of the Thai Community Development Center, said Jansaeng's plight underscores the double-edged sword of economic development: As neighborhoods prosper, lower-income residents and merchants could be pushed out by rising property values and greater competition.

Her center has conducted an assessment of area merchants and residents and found, among other things, a strong need to diversify Thai businesses, which are overwhelmingly restaurants. In recent years, she said, more spa and massage centers have opened, along with a Thai silk shop and dessert stores.

The Uncommon L.A. project promotes food in its marketing for Thai Town. Loukaitou-Sideris said her research suggested that a concentration of similar businesses in one area might benefit all merchants by drawing people to the area — as "auto rows" do.

In nearby Little Armenia, one of the biggest attractions is the ark-shaped library building at the Rose and Alex Pilibos Armenian School, on North Alexandria Street between Hollywood and West Sunset boulevards. The area is also home to St. John Garabed Armenian Church and businesses, including bakeries that sell Armenian foods such as lahmajune, a flat meat pizza.

In Highland Park, the Uncommon L.A. project primarily will promote the local art scene, which has been revitalized by the proliferation of new galleries in the area. Although the area has been long known as an artists' colony that has been sustained by such organizations as the Arroyo Arts Collective, many of the galleries closed shop as the neighborhood declined, according to Kathy Gallegos, a local artist.

That began to change in 2000, when Gallegos opened Avenue 50 Studio to feature Latino, Chicano and other multicultural art. "We opened up and boom: Immediately it was popular," Gallegos said.

Since then, half a dozen other studios have opened in Highland Park and have formed the Northeast LA Art Gallery Assn. to offer gallery tours every second Saturday of the month, Gallegos said. Other businesses also have helped revitalize the area, including La Casa Blue coffeehouse on York Boulevard. Scott Robbins, the owner, turned an abandoned building used by drug dealers into an airy gathering space that features art, karaoke, film and food.

The Highland Park tour will begin today at 5 p.m. at Avenue 50 Studio, 131 N. Avenue 50. The tour will feature galleries, art openings and puppet shows, including the unveiling of a "Tree of Life" wood-carving project by students at Franklin High School and artist Poli Marichal. More information is available at http://www.lacommons.org .

"Inner-city communities are often described as problems," Loukaitou-Sideris said. "We're trying to identify what's good in a community and market it."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:13 AM

^ You could add to that list Monterey Park and environs with the myriad variety of Chinese and other Asian restaurants and businesses. Many people come to LA and base their assessment of our Chinese population solely on our Chinatown, which is completely inaccurate since most Chinese-Angelenos live in the SGV.

My hope is that Chinatown will eventually attract more affluent Chinese and Chinese-Americans to relocate from the SGV. The day a 99 Ranch market opens up again would be akin to Ralphs Fresh Fare opening up in Downtown LA - a very auspicious sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West