HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Some good news for the local economy. Tucson's economy is expected to see job increases increase from 0.5% last year, to 0.9% this year, and 1.6% next year (2016). By 2017, Tucson's economy should be growing faster than the national average.

Economists Forecasts Strong Growth
It's about time. These past few years really concerned me. I felt like our city was dying.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
It's about time. These past few years really concerned me. I felt like our city was dying.
Tucson has been dead for decades. It's just crawling itself out from the grave. The good news is that building five floor buildings has become more acceptable by a growing number among that 'keep Tucson shitty' contingency.

I'd declare Tucson alive after it builds several 'Fingers' ( high rises ) , finishes a real crosstown freeway and stop identifying a butt ugly 50 year old rundown house or building 'historic'. Tucson has a long way to go!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 12:07 AM

United Airlines announces non-stop Chicago O'Hare service from TIA

According to KGUN9...

Quote:
United Airlines has announced it is adding a daily nonstop flight from Tucson International Airport to Chicago O'Hare International Airport from December 17 through April 4, 2016.

SkyWest Airlines will operate the United Express flights using E175 aircraft, which are configured with 12 seats in United First, 16 Economy Plus seats and 48 seats in Economy.
I think Tucson had to be about the biggest city in the country without non-stop United service to Chicago. They used to have 2 or 3 flights a day on 737s or MDs before they cut back. Too bad it's for the winter season only, but maybe if the demand is there they may decide to keep it around.

Last edited by InTheBurbs; Jul 28, 2015 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I think Tucson had to be about the biggest city in the country without non-stop United service to Chicago. They used to have 2 or 3 flights a day on 737s or MDs before they cut back. Too bad it's for the winter season only, but maybe if the demand is there they may decide to keep it around.

There's a reason for it. United is simply the worst major airline in the U.S. today. When I worked for them at Tucson Airport they had 24 regional jet flights a day. Now they have 7.

There were multiple days back then when every single flight, all 24, were delayed over an hour, or cancelled. Some were delayed as much as six hours. I think almost all the high mileage frequent fliers left for other airlines.

Their reputation is in the toilet at many airports, and particularly in Tucson.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Tucson has been dead for decades. It's just crawling itself out from the grave. The good news is that building five floor buildings has become more acceptable by a growing number among that 'keep Tucson shitty' contingency.

I'd declare Tucson alive after it builds several 'Fingers' ( high rises ) , finishes a real crosstown freeway and stop identifying a butt ugly 50 year old rundown house or building 'historic'. Tucson has a long way to go!
If that's you're measure, Tucson will most likely never be alive. I've only lived here less than 7 years, but I don't see Tucson as dead, or as dying. I see a city that had grown at a high rate for a while and now it finds itself adjusting to the new norm of post-Great Recession life. It hasn't been dying the past few years, it's simply been changing and metamorphosing. Due to this, and of course the streetcar, downtown has been completely rejuvenated. We are starting to see infill in midtown and the east side, and new growth on the edges of the city.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:47 PM

Tucson may not be dying, but it's not thriving to the extent that it could, or should. Tucson is a regressive place. Development projects that might take a year or two in most places take 10 years here because there is so much opposition to everything. The "keep Tucson shitty" delegation is active and vociferous, and the inept city council members have demonstrated that they care only about their narrow political fiefdoms at the expense of the overall city. There's a reason Tucson is 147 out of 150 cities for future employment potential. The council has sent the message loudly and clearly that business is generally not welcome here. While the city council has given themselves much credit for the "revitalization" of downtown, it's happened in spite of them, not because of them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest