HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 7:20 PM

Anyone have intel on what's going into "Coyotes" on McDermot?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:24 PM

Update:

Galper/Porter Building at 165 McDermot Ave.

Building is now completely gutted.
Construction on Units beginning shortly.

Quote:
Their plan for the Galpern/Porter building involves converting the top five floors into 30 apartment-style units. They will all be one-bedroom units, roughly 500 square feet in size. They'll have an open-concept design, with exposed brick on the exterior wall and exposed wooden joists and beams. The monthly rental rate will be between $1,000 and $1,150.

The main floor and basement area on the Rory Street side of the building will be converted into four two-storey townhouse units. Each will have its own entrance and will be 1,100 to 1,200 square feet in size. The rent will be $1,650 per month.
Source

Historical Facts/Values:

Built:
1906/01/01 to 1906/12/31

The Galpern (Porter) Building, a handsome Chicago School warehouse with modest classical detailing, is a major component of a continuous row of brick buildings from the 1881-1921 period in downtown Winnipeg. The structure, designed by J.H.G. Russell, also is an important example of the aesthetic transition that occurred in the city's warehouse district in the early 1900s from Romanesque-influenced styles to a more restrained commercial architecture. Built for James Porter and Co., a crockery and china wholesaler, this functional facility, with its showroom, office, storage and service areas, has adapted well to subsequent uses, including as the L. Galpern Candy Co.'s factory. Through its tall profile, rich materials and classical composition, the building forms a striking visual anchor at one corner of a significant streetscape in the Exchange District National Historic Site.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-...spx?id=7719#i1

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Update:

Galper/Porter Building at 165 McDermot Ave.

Building is now completely gutted.
Construction on Units beginning shortly.
It's great that something is finally happening with this building... it will make a very good residential building given its ideal location. It has been vacant for far too long... I had no idea that the upper floors were vacant since 1975.

The only downside to all of this, and it's a fairly big one in my view, is the fact that the main level will be used for townhouse apartments. Rorie doesn't have many storefronts and townhouses on the main floor just means one more blank wall for pedestrians to contend with instead of something a little more interesting. But I guess no one is really clamoring for storefront space in the Exchange District as even the meagre amount there already is can never seem to get fully leased with quality tenants.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's great that something is finally happening with this building... it will make a very good residential building given its ideal location. It has been vacant for far too long... I had no idea that the upper floors were vacant since 1975.

The only downside to all of this, and it's a fairly big one in my view, is the fact that the main level will be used for townhouse apartments. Rorie doesn't have many storefronts and townhouses on the main floor just means one more blank wall for pedestrians to contend with instead of something a little more interesting. But I guess no one is really clamoring for storefront space in the Exchange District as even the meagre amount there already is can never seem to get fully leased with quality tenants.
I understand your concern but at least they will alleviate the blank wall issue for the townhouse units with some concessions on the main floor as per the article:

Quote:
For the townhouse units, it will add two more big windows on the main floor to complement the two existing ones, as well as new doorways for each townhouse

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:09 PM

^ Not quite so much literally blank as it will provide little to animate the streetscape... contrast the Waterfront Drive sidewalk by the regrettable Ship Street Village complex to the McDermot sidewalk between Main and Arthur Sts. Two totally different worlds...

But that said, I'm still grateful this is happening. After over a decade of being vacant, it's practically a small miracle that the Galpern wasn't demolished or torched.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Not quite so much literally blank as it will provide little to animate the streetscape... contrast the Waterfront Drive sidewalk by the regrettable Ship Street Village complex to the McDermot sidewalk between Main and Arthur Sts. Two totally different worlds...

But that said, I'm still grateful this is happening. After over a decade of being vacant, it's practically a small miracle that the Galpern wasn't demolished or torched.
I understand, for me I still feel the addition of these and other residential units is the key, the street side vibe will come with time as more residents populate the area. The feasibility of Main Floor commercial/retail units will come naturally with an increased population base in the area.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 3:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Great project. They have replaced about 75% of the windows on the upper floors.

I am curious if the townhouses will be getting indoor parking as well. They opened up a large doorway along the alley, and it seemed to me (as I was creeping on the interior of the building walking past recently) that part of the main floor had been removed. My first thought was indoor parking, but I guess the townhouses might not have enough room to include this parking.

Anyways... very interesting to hear it's been mostly vacant for so long. Longer than I have been alive... It just speaks to the robustness of these buildings.

The "they don't build them like they used to" certainly applies to the Exchange warehouses.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 11:16 PM

I know I've brought it up before but anyone know now what's happening in the heritage building beside old subway on William? It's boarded up again after being open for a while for construction inside.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:44 AM

If I am not mistaken that is one of the Reiss properties holdings in the area. I wonder if they are working on it so they don't get a vacant building notice from the city.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am curious if the townhouses will be getting indoor parking as well. They opened up a large doorway along the alley, and it seemed to me (as I was creeping on the interior of the building walking past recently) that part of the main floor had been removed. My first thought was indoor parking, but I guess the townhouses might not have enough room to include this parking.
Hopefully there's no included parking and in lieu of that they are required to buy a car share vehicle or two. Would be great to have a few more cars in the East Exchange.

Anyone savvy enough to find the variances this project got?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 3:04 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Hopefully there's no included parking and in lieu of that they are required to buy a car share vehicle or two. Would be great to have a few more cars in the East Exchange.

Anyone savvy enough to find the variances this project got?
If you are asking about a variance for parking requirement reductions, they wouldn't need one because it's in the Downtown Zoning district, and within downtown you don't have to supply any parking.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 PM

Looks like Bedford Investments has something going on in the old Reiss Fur building at 275 McDermot Ave. There was a dumpster on the side with a demo chute from the 2nd floor going into it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:33 PM

From Twitter
https://twitter.com/audettenic/statu...539456/photo/1

Nic Audette ‏@audettenic 55m55 minutes ago
A building on market ave in the exchange is currently being boarded up. Kinda sad, hope it's only temporary.

Those condos?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:15 PM

That should be the next phase of District Condos.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:46 PM
North End Troublemaker

I think this got lost in the construction thread with all the shit storm with the Calvary Temple surface parking lot fiasco, so I'll ask here... Does anyone know what is going on with Galpern/Porter?

The west side of the building now has an exit to the roof of the building next door. Is this a joint thing and the condos will have rooftop access for a patio? Or is it just a fire exit?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
From Twitter
https://twitter.com/audettenic/statu...539456/photo/1

Nic Audette ‏@audettenic 55m55 minutes ago
A building on market ave in the exchange is currently being boarded up. Kinda sad, hope it's only temporary.

Those condos?
That building is owned by Qualico/StreetSide and is one of their next eventual condo projects. It sits between their existing building at 133 Market Ave and Brick's Fine Furniture. No planned date to begin renovating but they worked on preserving the brick mortar a good portion of last summer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:59 AM

Joe and Lily

Just noticed a new coffee shop in the Sports For Life Centre building at 145 Pacific Ave. Joe and Lily's - looks interesting. http://joeandlily.ca/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I think this got lost in the construction thread with all the shit storm with the Calvary Temple surface parking lot fiasco, so I'll ask here... Does anyone know what is going on with Galpern/Porter?

The west side of the building now has an exit to the roof of the building next door. Is this a joint thing and the condos will have rooftop access for a patio? Or is it just a fire exit?
It's a financial release valve...

But seriously, it's probably just requisite egress.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Just noticed a new coffee shop in the Sports For Life Centre building at 145 Pacific Ave. Joe and Lily's - looks interesting. http://joeandlily.ca/
Very interesting. Any idea who runs it? Is it accessible off the street or through the Sport Manitoba entrance?

Whatever happened to the cafe that was supposed to open across the street, on the other side of Lily?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
That building is owned by Qualico/StreetSide and is one of their next eventual condo projects. It sits between their existing building at 133 Market Ave and Brick's Fine Furniture. No planned date to begin renovating but they worked on preserving the brick mortar a good portion of last summer.
Masonry work, windows should be going in this summer. Window contractor has recently been secured.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan