HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 4:30 AM

Perhaps something worth keeping our eye on is a the number of properties soon to come on to market in the near West End - an area that can service the airport campus in a number of ways. The Nygaard Outlet, and the taxidermy location, although smallish properties, they do have excellent access routes and appear to be solid, multi-purpose buildings. The old Emco location on Route 90 is being replaced with a large multi unit industrial complex with immediate access to the airport campus. Greyhound will likely be leaving their Border St. location, opening up yet another prime warehouse with decent access and grade/dock loading. I understand that this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but certainly the kinds of companies that *may* locate here could prove to be indicitive of success of the airport campus.

Of note, DHL's facility is absolutely terrible and they might be looking for a new location to expand their service offering (they can't get a forklift out of their current building. Which is absolutely unbelieveable when you consider what line of work they are in).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:27 PM

Turning an idea into reality
Customers needed for inland port success
By: Martin Cash

If you aren't certain what is meant by the term inland port, you shouldn't feel too badly -- you're not alone.

As one well-regarded expert in the transportation business recently said to me, in his mind it could mean everything from a glorified industrial park to a modern centre of trade and commerce for the 21st century.

With such a range of possibilities, it is significant that the province is taking the lead to form an entity, CentrePort Canada Inc., that will co-ordinate all the stakeholder interests to help make an inland port a reality near James Richardson International Airport.

Regardless of what form it may take, there has been a healthy surge of awareness that if Winnipeg is to retain (recapture?) its role as a transportation/distribution powerhouse, it will only be able to do it with a community-wide effort.

The province's designation of 20,000 acres west of the airport as an inland port will put it in line for federal money to build new roads, rail lines, sewers and utilities around the airport in competition with several other Canadian cities.

The Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce has adopted the inland port concept as a primary initiative, indicating a willingness from the business community to make it a key economic development piece of the coming years for the city.

From the Winnipeg perspective, the idea of an inland port is to leverage the air, rail, road and sea assets that are already here into something that would provide a value-added service to help shippers or distributors or manufacturers or producers gain some kind of market or profit advantage.

Whereas Winnipeg does not really have any special advantages that would make it a hotbed for biotechnology or the development of video games (not to say Winnipeggers are not capable), the city does have history, heritage and a cultural predisposition as a transportation centre.

It makes sense.

Bill Morrissey, one of the cadre of senior managers cut loose by the new owners of Standard Aero, was recently recruited by the chamber to help lead an effort to figure out what kind of services companies might need from an inland port in Winnipeg, and who those companies are.

It is just that kind of strategic planning that noted U.S./Canada trade expert Stephen Blank, who was in Winnipeg this week, argues is essential for a successful inland port.

Blank said most cities (probably including the River City at this point) are largely engaged in "polishing their assets." But regardless of how excellent the Halifax harbour is, or how extensive Kansas City's railroad network is, or how integrated and multi-modal Winnipeg's transportation infrastructure is, that does not make it an inland port.

"What you need is entrepreneurial vision and a business plan and a business plan begins with a customer," Blank said. "You can talk about inland ports... but the business is someone who wants to use the facility to bring in goods. You have to know who is pooling goods, where they are going and where they are coming from."

That is essentially the kind of intelligence Morrissey and his chamber initiative will try to gather while CentrePort marshalls public-sector resources to make sure the road and rail shipping facilities are up to snuff.

"We need to understand what the market is demanding and make sure the investment (that is eventually made) is what is required," Morrissey said.

No initiative like this is without risk. Blank cautions against subscribing to the old W.P. Kinsella adage that if you build it, they will come.

But on the other hand, Barry Prentice, the transportation and logistics guru at the University of Manitoba, counters with, "If you don't build it,you will guarantee that they won't come."

Back in the 1990s, something called Winnport was formed to try to develop something that might have been called an inland port.

When efforts to attract air cargo from Asia into Winnipeg failed, the enterprise leased its own plane and tried do it all itself, but it failed for all sorts of reasons.

This time, the city is taking a more mature, modern approach: Figure out the value proposition first, and do it with the public sector and a broad-based group of interested parties working together from the start.

The assets still need to be polished, but caution should be applied to Winnipeggers don't get dazzled by what we think we've got because it's only worth something if someone else wants to pay to use it.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:31 PM

This Cannot Happen Fast Enough!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 2:53 AM
Capitalist

The City will finallize the zoning that area for development in the near future.

Once the zoning issue is passed... we will see the city set up serviced lots to that area. Meanwhile the province and the city are negociating with CPR & CNR to develop new rail infrastructure beside J.A.R International.

By next spring I expect to see roads be layed in the Centreport Canada area, while the Stregeon/Inkster interchange will be u/c.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:28 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Here is a very good read for all those who are interested.

Mayor's Trade Council Releases Report

http://www.tourism.winnipeg.mb.ca/work/846/208
I'm sure you as I have seen hundreds of reports released by the city that have gone no where, so I'm not sure another report means anything in terms of being concrete.
Regarding your direction to other city forumers not to post. Regardless whether you like the comments or not they are valuable comments and information to weigh possibilities of competing similar interests, and discussing it in a vacuum doesn't really help the topic anyway. All angles and competing facilities should be considered and discussed.
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else says anyway the port with real plans will materialize at some point.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 4:23 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
I'm sure you as I have seen hundreds of reports released by the city that have gone no where, so I'm not sure another report means anything in terms of being concrete.
Regarding your direction to other city forumers not to post. Regardless whether you like the comments or not they are valuable comments and information to weigh possibilities of competing similar interests, and discussing it in a vacuum doesn't really help the topic anyway. All angles and competing facilities should be considered and discussed.
It doesn't matter what you or anyone else says anyway the port with real plans will materialize at some point.
While there has been other reports.. I would suggest this is the most comprehensive, in terms of its broad committee input. This is not a solely a government report. This was created by a wide mix of government and large and mid sized private enterprise and industry associations who would be primary benefactors in the developing of the Inland Port and would be the majority intial investors in this major development. This report has since been completely endorced by the province, city, and the other major players behind its creation. The recomendations has been adopted .. and investment is starting to lineup, with this study acting as the vision towards the future.

One of the largest difficulties of the old Winnport was it was almost solely a government body. Centre Port Canada is a private corporation.

As far as other city's contribution .. I am all for it, but not at the expense of discussing Centre Port. By all means create a new thread .. where all those who wish to compare and discuss them all, and compare the various potencial inland ports in aggrigate, can do so. The difficulty as I have seen is it just boggs down the whole discussion into a pissing match... which isn't really adding anything to the whole topic.

Therefore I continue to ask all commements on this thread to remain Centre Port Canada centric. If there is interest in creating another thread to compare the competing proposals please do so .. perhaps in the Canada forum, as this issue is not only a western Canada issue.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
The City will finallize the zoning that area for development in the near future.

Once the zoning issue is passed... we will see the city set up serviced lots to that area. Meanwhile the province and the city are negociating with CPR & CNR to develop new rail infrastructure beside J.A.R International.

By next spring I expect to see roads be layed in the Centreport Canada area, while the Stregeon/Inkster interchange will be u/c.
I love this quote by Martin Cash as it truly reflects Newflyer's over optimistic attitude with regards to this inland port initiative...

"The assets still need to be polished, but caution should be applied to Winnipeggers don't get dazzled by what we think we've got because it's only worth something if someone else wants to pay to use it."

The Winnipeg business community on September 19...less than a week ago...decided to devote $80,000 to identify who might be interested investing in the inland port concept...but yet...Newflyer has already rationalized the expropriation of the property, rezoned it and has the city working on setting up sewers and serviced lots ( which I doubt ever happens as cities do not set up "serviced lots" as that is normally done by private developers)... hmmmm...things just don't ever move that fast...

And here are some more very well thought out points from Martin Cash's article...

"What you need is entrepreneurial vision and a business plan and a business plan begins with a customer," Blank said. "You can talk about inland ports... but the business is someone who wants to use the facility to bring in goods. You have to know who is pooling goods, where they are going and where they are coming from."

That is essentially the kind of intelligence Morrissey and his chamber initiative will try to gather while CentrePort marshalls public-sector resources to make sure the road and rail shipping facilities are up to snuff.

"We need to understand what the market is demanding and make sure the investment (that is eventually made) is what is required," Morrissey said.

It is good to be gung ho but one should try and separate the facts from fiction and try and be more realistic...

Last edited by DAVEinEDMONTON; Sep 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 4:21 PM

[QUOTE=DAVEinEDMONTON;3825760
( which I doubt ever happens as cities do not set up "serviced lots" as that is normally done by private developers)... hmmmm...things just don't ever move that fast...
[/QUOTE]

lots are being set up as we speak. i was surprised myself how fast its coming along.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
sadly, the reality is that sometimes facilities must be built before customers commit to doing business. maybe there are people working on both facilities/infrastructure and working out deals/contracts right now? also, often it takes some public money to spur on private investment. but most of this is common knowledge around here, isnt it...

Quote:
It is good to be gung ho but one should try and separate the facts from fiction and try and be more realistic...

one can point out a million reasons why winnipeg might not get "centreport" up and running successfully. but the reality is the more reasons we find for it not to work, the better we can feel when it finally does.

Last edited by sledhead35; Sep 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 9:38 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
one can point out a million reasons why winnipeg might not get "centreport" up and running successfully.
The same things can be said about Edmonton and Regina; many of our out-of-town fellow members don't want to admit this little fact

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
The same things can be said about Edmonton and Regina; many of our out-of-town fellow members don't want to admit this little fact
Take a good look at the comments in this thread...the only people that consistently seem to be making disparaging comments about Winnipeg's inland port prospects are...wait for it...Winnipeg forumers...and the only ones making disparaging comments about other cities would be...again...wait for it...Winnipeg forumers...

And it was you who started the discussion in post #12 about Edmonton and Regina's inland ports. Later on you are trying telling people to post only about Winnipeg...you cannot have it both ways...

If you don't like what I post or what others have to say who do not live in Winnipeg then don't read them...otherwise you can just...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 10:44 PM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
There are no facts to admit...That's just the point Greco.
You make it sound like someone needs to admit to some little fact when actually this is all just a discussion. Both Edmonton and Winnipeg have a vision, dream, and a few bucks allocated to their inland port ideas. There have been great points made for and against either port by forumers, it doesn't make either of these ports any more or less real.
Time will tell, I personally do not believe both will happen.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 10:47 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Take a good look at the comments in this thread...the only people that consistently seem to be making disparaging comments about Winnipeg's inland port prospects are...wait for it...Winnipeg forumers...and the only ones making disparaging comments about other cities would be...again...wait for it...Winnipeg forumers...

And it was you who started the discussion in post #12 about Edmonton and Regina's inland ports. Later on you are trying telling people to post only about Winnipeg...you cannot have it both ways...

If you don't like what I post or what others have to say who do not live in Winnipeg then don't read them...otherwise you can just...
Dave Dave Dave, you don't strike me as a dense guy, but this post just proved that you are. The majority of your posts here are boostering Edmontons chances and disparaging Winnipegs, along with a few other out-of-town forumers as well. Yes, this is a competition for who can attain this inland port, but I get the feeling you like to come here and stir shit up. Whatever floats your boat man. I still haven't seen you start up an Edmonton Inland Port thread in the Alberta forum yet.

Oh, and by the way, you can also just............

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Dave Dave Dave, you don't strike me as a dense guy, but this post just proved that you are. The majority of your posts here are boostering Edmontons chances and disparaging Winnipegs, along with a few other out-of-town forumers as well. Yes, this is a competition for who can attain this inland port, but I get the feeling you like to come here and stir shit up. Whatever floats your boat man. I still haven't seen you start up an Edmonton Inland Port thread in the Alberta forum yet.

Read my posts...never said anything disparaging against Winnipegs inland port prospects...boostering Edmonton..yes...and correcting misinformation...

Again...you no like my posts don't read them...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The idea of an inland port is that the goods in containers would arrive in bond and be shipped to bonded warehouses where they would remain free of duty and taxes and get distributed in bonded warehouses for further shipment to points east and south. I have a client who is developing a tracking devise that through sattilite positioning can track the location of the containers and track who and when the containers get opened for purposes of assessing the bond related issues.

Vancouver port is too busy as are most of the west coasts ports in the US to handle a lot of the increased traffic that is expected from China and other points east. With the opening of the port in Prince Rupert, shippers from Asia now have a route that is shorter than the other traditional routes in existence. Also, if they are able to unload the ships in a more efficient manner, the time line for shipping will be greatly reduced. That can be a significant factor.

Winnipeg has a good location for Churchill and goods travelling from Europe. However, Edmonton has a better location for goods from Asia. A lot of the advantages that Winnipeg has, also exist in Edmonton. For example, both cities have 24 hour airports. However, Edmonton's airport is farther out in the city and is not confined by the city population being so close. Both airports have lots of developable land. Again, Edmonton has more considering it is not confined at all by the city proper. Both cities have good rail connections. Both cities have strong trucking facilities. Edmonton's location is better as you would think that if you wanted to ship to North America from Asia you would want to ship to the first major point, split up your product and move it by truck to all other points in North America. If you intend to ship to California or other points in the western US as part of this process, why would you want to ship all the way to Winnipeg and then ship things back west? As far as air traffic from Asia is concerned, Edmonton is currently working on getting airlines to use the airport as its stopover for fueling for flights from eastern US cities heading west to China. Once you establish the fueling stops you can integrate the shipment of international cargo from Asia. Here again, Edmonton has an advantage because Winnipeg may be too close to the eastern cities to warrant being a fueling stop.

Eventually, I think both cities are going to end up having inland ports but they may end up servicing different markets.
Here is my first post on the subject...I think my arguements are rather sound, reasonable and informative...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 11:22 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Dave Dave Dave, you don't strike me as a dense guy, but this post just proved that you are. The majority of your posts here are boostering Edmontons chances and downplaying Winnipegs, along with a few other out-of-town forumers as well. Yes, this is a competition for who can attain this inland port, but I get the feeling you like to come here and stir shit up. Whatever floats your boat man. I still haven't seen you start up an Edmonton Inland Port thread in the Alberta forum yet.

There, I made the appropriate change to what is more of an accurate discription.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
There, I made the appropriate change to what is more of an accurate discription.
That is so much better...thank you...

Old Posted Sep 28, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I've been in the wilds of northern Alberta for the last couple of days, and when I read this article today, it made me really happy.

But again, will this Centreport have competition from Regina and Edmonton with their bids for an inland port, or would this happen despite what occurs in those cities?

Honestly, I could see only two cities that would be considered best suited for these inland ports on the Prairies: Winnipeg and Edmonton. The rest really don't have the geographical location advantage like these two cities do.
Hmmmm...you asked the question...you got some answers that you did not like and now you are beating up the forumers who responded ...wow...not sure who is really dense here but I suspect it is not me...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:01 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Hmmmm...you asked the question...you got some answers that you did not like and now you are beating up the forumers who responded ...wow...not sure who is really dense here but I suspect it is not me...
I got answers, just in different forms from different forumers, hence my conversation with you right now. I'm still waiting for you to create a thread in the Alberta section relating to Edmonton's inland port. As you are a die-hard fan of that idea, I am very interested to see how that thread progresses, unless for some reason you don't want to be a part of it

Anyways, only time will tell which city will get the title. So let's quite the bantering and get back on track.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 12:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

.... greco u live in edmonton at this time theres noting stoping u from making the thread.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan