HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:39 PM

This article talks about an interesting new concept Cineplex is piloting that would add a restaurant, bar and live performance venue to their usual multiplex setup. They also seem open to adding other activities. This is definitely one to watch as they could be in the bidding for the Kildonan Place Target site.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
The nice thing about Target was that you could get some discount merchandise without having to rub shoulders with those who will happily and shamelessly shop in a Wal-Mart.
That's exactly why I liked Target. The people who shopped there were normal. Not cows. Not wearing XXXL sacks as clothing. Not with five screaming kids hanging off of them. Just normal people who could handle the basics of hygiene, diet, and dressing themselves.

Also nice: Targets didn't have gross-ass McDonald's in them.

I guess being able to buy socks without being grossed out by the experience was too much to ask.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:52 AM

We'll Maybe Cineplex Will Bring The Rec Room To Silvercity Polo Park & St Vital That Would Be Awesome!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:44 PM

Polo Park Cineplex expansion is a no as the current site is land locked.

St Vital is a possibility although the mall site has become tight for parking which could limit a Rec Room addition.

The roughly 25 year old Kildonan Place Cineplex is die for either a major renovation or a replacement. The size of a typical Cineplex location would be small as a replacement for Target in that mall however the Red Room concept sounds like it would add enough extras to make it a closer fit. There would also be room to expand parking on the north side if needed.

If Winnipeg gets a Rec Room and it is not at Kildonan Place Westport Festival could be the location. That is the most recent site to the long rumored movie theater in west Winnipeg but those rumors in one form or another predate the current Polo Park theater.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

Well Looks Like Lowe's Will Take Over Target Locations In Winnipeg http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...289886791.html

Last edited by horrorbro123; Jan 27, 2015 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM

The source of the Lowe's rumor in the Free Press article is just speculating on what will happen like anyone else.

As I previously stated other than the Kildonan Place site the large materials yard and garden centre commonly found at every big box home improvement store poses significant challenges for the Winnipeg Target sites. At Kildonan Place they have been rumored to anchor the Kildonan Mile development. Similar, they could do a purpose built store on The Plaza site at Polo Park. Grant Park is a stones throw from the Seasons of Tuxedo site where Lowe's was supposed to build. Personally I do not see the fit being there unless some significant lease concessions are on the table.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The source of the Lowe's rumor in the Free Press article is just speculating on what will happen like anyone else.

As I previously stated other than the Kildonan Place site the large materials yard and garden centre commonly found at every big box home improvement store poses significant challenges for the Winnipeg Target sites. At Kildonan Place they have been rumored to anchor the Kildonan Mile development. Similar, they could do a purpose built store on The Plaza site at Polo Park. Grant Park is a stones throw from the Seasons of Tuxedo site where Lowe's was supposed to build. Personally I do not see the fit being there unless some significant lease concessions are on the table.
Yeah, I was recalling your commentary from earlier about the lumber yard and garden center and figured this was more instructive than anything. I don't see any of these sites being good fits. Least of all Grant Park.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 11:28 PM

Seems like pretty crude analysis to me. Many of the same analysts are chiding Target for being dumb by taking on those bad locations, but Lowe's should be interested? Of the Winnipeg stores, only the Polo Park location would be prime for any big box store, and even that one would need a lot of adaptations for a store like Lowe's.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:38 PM

Originally T&T was looking at the polo park site which now houses Mark's Work Wearhouse and Marshall's. I think they would be great tenant for Target's Polo Park location.

Its a destination type store, they were already interested in the area before their deal with Shindico fell through.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:11 PM

^^ The site plan for The Plaza at Polo Park (where Target is located) included an unnamed grocery store to the east of Target. Based on T&T's previous interest in the area and the same groups leasing both sites it would definitely not be a stretch.

One thing I have heard though is Loblaw's has shifted their T&T strategy from opening standalone stores to working more of the T&T specific product into their existing stores. That is definitely already happening in Winnipeg. Time will ultimately tell though and if the traffic at Lucky's is an indication it would seem there is still demand for a dedicate T&T.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:27 PM

I've seen the T&T branded products slowly appearing at loblaw stores, however as a past resident of a city with a T&T, I went to T&T for the experience of their standalone stores and not the T&T products.

I hope it comes to be, a destination shopping experience IMHO. A Lowes at the Polo location, just doesn't seem like the right fit.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 11:28 PM

I Went To Walmart Supercentre at Grant Park Today That Place Was Amazing!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:02 AM

Jones New York is the latest retailer closing all their outlets including the single Winnipeg store on Kennaston in front of Wal-Mart.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:54 PM

Does anyone here happen to know more details on the rumoured location for the new Costco in the NW end of the city? Have heard a couple of locations.

One, close to Templeton and Pipeline but thought that was just approved as all residential per the "Precinct E" plan (http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/Docum...14/2014.97.pdf).

The other location I am hearing (most likely) is on east side of McPhillips between Swailes and Murray. Something must be afoot as I keep hearing these rumours. Any truth to them?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
Does anyone here happen to know more details on the rumoured location for the new Costco in the NW end of the city? Have heard a couple of locations.

One, close to Templeton and Pipeline but thought that was just approved as all residential per the "Precinct E" plan (http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/Docum...14/2014.97.pdf).

The other location I am hearing (most likely) is on east side of McPhillips between Swailes and Murray. Something must be afoot as I keep hearing these rumours. Any truth to them?
I think someone had mentioned the Main St. Ford dealership was supposed to move into the area on McPhillips but there was some issue (servicing the land or something) so they opted to renovate. I'm thinking development in and aroudn that area will start once Chief Peguis is expanded to McPhillips.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:20 PM

^^ Wal-Mart at McPhillips and Court was originally planned for McPhillips and Murrary as well. It will be interesting to see when that plot finally gets developed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:41 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post

Check out this, which actually went to community committee well before Precinct E went.

<http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...wc/2014/m13376>

Precinct F was approved almost a full year ago and they haven't started anything except scraping the top soil off the land.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Check out this, which actually went to community committee well before Precinct E went.

<http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...wc/2014/m13376>

Precinct F was approved almost a full year ago and they haven't started anything except scraping the top soil off the land.
Yeah, unless the north is somehow immune to the same slowdown in the new housing market, I don't foresee either of these developments moving any time soon. I know Genstar is planning to have their subdivision applications to the city for Precinct E in early February (or that was the plan), but with inventories so high, I doubt we'll see much actual building.

If anybody's interested in December's CMHC housing report, I'll leave a link at the bottom. In what makes up most of the market in both of these new precincts (single-detached), complete and unabsorbed up 16% on the five-year average and under-construction is up 9.3% over last year. Nice to see starts in a huge slow down (December alone was down 35% over last year and we're at 9.7% less for the year), but the resale market is doing more harm to these new developments than anything else.

It'll be interesting to see how the increased resale inventories continue to beat up on new construction. In speaking with one of the top brokers in the city last week he told me the focus is now entirely on buyers for the agents. That's the first time in almost ten years.

Check out the report here...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:08 PM

Focus on buyers? Meaning agents are only focusing on buyers as clients as opposed to working with people who are selling. Or agents are so low on people looking for homes, they're focusing on attracting these people to shore up their income? As in agents are going broke due to lack of home buyers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Focus on buyers? Meaning agents are only focusing on buyers as clients as opposed to working with people who are selling. Or agents are so low on people looking for homes, they're focusing on attracting these people to shore up their income? As in agents are going broke due to lack of home buyers.
Yeah, working with buyers as opposed to sellers. The axiom over the past ten, fifteen years was that - when you got to a reasonable level of success - you only wanted listings. Listings don't require driving people around 15 weekends in a row and writing ten offers to secure one property for the same 50% of the commission. They require investments of a different sort, but they're less time consuming leaving you more time for - securing more listings! And that worked while every listing was virtually assured of being sold.

Since listings that aren't the very top of the pile are now sitting for a couple months at a time, a buyer is now a more assured payday. You may still have to look at a few houses, but if your clients write and the conditions aren't too stringent, you'll have a deal. An active buyer is an active buyer. Sometimes an active seller is only one at the right price. And since keeping a listing up costs money, you don't need a listing sitting for three months with a vendor who won't drop the price to come in line with the market.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan