HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 7:32 PM

Finally found a pic of the Centre of the Arts monkey bars in the LP.

http://www.leaderpost.com/touch/m-ph...d=10681400&p=1

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the pool hall at the corner of Rose & 12th? In here. I can't think of it for the life of me.
Was it called On Cue? I know there was a pool place somewhere in Regina with that name...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvj View Post
Was it called On Cue? I know there was a pool place somewhere in Regina with that name...
Yes at 1901 Rose St.

That building once housed Mid-West Motors. It was the antithesis of urban sprawl. A downtown car dealership with a ramp to drive up to the second floor where the service bays were located.

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:11 PM

Quote:

That was it. Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:16 PM

Traveler's Building when it was also the bus depot:

This was initially ABM Motors, a Nash Dealership that went bust in the 30's. The Arcadia Ballroom was upstairs.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...e2043a&sponsor=

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 11:15 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This is an awesome postcard - I have one of these in my collection. That photo would have been taken during the fall of '76. (Note the pavement rehabilitation and that there was only one jetway at that time.)

The aircraft depicted here are: a Norcanair Fokker F-27 and a Douglas DC-9 Series 32.

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Feb 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM. Reason: "Fokker"

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 9:49 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
YES that's the name. Thanks I totally couldn't remember the name but I do remember they had red or black felt on the pool tables if I'm not mistaken which made it look a lot nicer than the standard green.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:49 PM

Here's a shot my Dad had of the Crescents area of Regina from the late 1940's (1949 maybe?). I believe it was taken from a hot air balloon. This was found on some slide flim and was transferred to digital by Bird Films. Interesting to look at all the empty lots still in the Crescents area and how beyond Broad street is just empty prairie. The museum hadn't been built yet at this point either. The Walter Scott looks like it's kind of being built in this picture as well.

Are those driving bridges or pedestrian bridges across the creek to Kiwanis park?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:04 PM
arf

^Thanks for that one. The one definitely looks like it is for vehicles.

Cool seeing no university, the old Broad Street bridge, and all the area that is now park between Broad and the Power Station.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:57 PM

Do you notice at the very bottom of the picture Wascana creek meanders right up to the backyards of some of the houses on Garnet street? Was the creek straightened out when they built the berm in the 70's?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Here's a shot my Dad had of the Crescents area of Regina from the late 1940's (1949 maybe?). I believe it was taken from a hot air balloon. This was found on some slide flim and was transferred to digital by Bird Films. Interesting to look at all the empty lots still in the Crescents area and how beyond Broad street is just empty prairie. The museum hadn't been built yet at this point either. The Walter Scott looks like it's kind of being built in this picture as well.

Are those driving bridges or pedestrian bridges across the creek to Kiwanis park?
It looks like the Walter Scott Building on Albert is under construction. If you can figure out what year that was, you should know when the photo was taken.

Great photo. There must be others?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It looks like the Walter Scott Building on Albert is under construction. If you can figure out what year that was, you should know when the photo was taken.
Walter Scott was built in 1950. Also a key in this picture is the building on Albert street at the north end of the Albert street bridge. That was torn down sometime in 1949 and replaced with residental homes. So since it's still standing in this picture I have to guess somewhere in the 1948 to 1949 range.

Quote:
Great photo. There must be others?
Sadly that's it for really old ones. I do have some shots he took from the tops of some city buildings in the summer of 1990.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:50 PM

Image000081 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000079 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000078 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000060 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:51 PM

Image000058 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000056 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000057 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000055 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Image000040 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 7:55 PM

This was taken in the winter sometime around that same time period.

Image000065 by dan0myte, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:

You can see the bridge to Willow Island, remnants of which were exposed on the lake bed when it was drained for the Big Dig.

http://doftw.com/wascanapark/deepening/deep2003.html

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Walter Scott was built in 1950. Also a key in this picture is the building on Albert street at the north end of the Albert street bridge. That was torn down sometime in 1949 and replaced with residental homes. So since it's still standing in this picture I have to guess somewhere in the 1948 to 1949 range.

Cornerstone on the front of Walter Scott building has "1952" engraved on it. This is the variable part but my understanding is the cornerstone is laid at the commencement of construction.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 8:04 AM

That is an EXCELLENT 1986 shot of the single Harvard tower, which was originally called "Victoria Plaza." The logo atop at that time was "Continental Bank." In 1987, the logo was then Lloyd's Bank for quite awhile. Now, of course, HSBC.

In the background: the Canada Trust building, which was originally Pioneer Trust when it opened up in 1985; the original CIBC; and Pioneer Life as well.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
That is an EXCELLENT 1986 shot of the single Harvard tower, which was originally called "Victoria Plaza." The logo atop at that time was "Continental Bank." In 1987, the logo was then Lloyd's Bank for quite awhile. Now, of course, HSBC.

In the background: the Canada Trust building, which was originally Pioneer Trust when it opened up in 1985; the original CIBC; and Pioneer Life as well.
What a great photo set , thanks everyone for posting , the hill tower photo is awesome with the four towers pictured , now there are four more towers how great is that , one can see the old capital theatre , I like the photo with the elephants walking near the golden mile crazy in the Flickr account , , Regina has sure grown skywards in the past few years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan