HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
The results of the 2011 French census were published yesterday (France now has a census taking place every year, in January). The population of France in Jan. 2011 was slightly lower than previously estimated, because net migration in 2010 was smaller than what the French statistical office INSEE had previously guesstimated. Net migration was only +46,908 in 2010, whereas INSEE previously guesstimated that it had been +62,000.

France thus continues to have extremely small migration figures compared to its neighbours.

Net migration in Metropolitan France (the European part of France):
- 2007: +74,659
- 2008: +66,930
- 2009: +44,222
- 2010: +46,908

For comparison, Germany had a net migration of +127,677 in 2010, the UK had +252,000, Italy had +311,658, and even economically battered Spain had +76,026.

This very low net migration figure is either due to rising emigration of young French people tired of the rigid labor market of France, or to very restrictive immigration policies (and strong anti-immigrant climate which deters would-be immigrants), or a combination of both, but it's impossible to tell exactly because France is the only large country in Europe which doesn't produce estimates of inflows and outflows of migrants and native people.

Oddly, most French people are still convinced that France is submerged by a huge waves of immigrants and receives the most immigrants in Europe (). The declining net migration is not discussed by any media, and most people are unaware of it.
It's happening all over Europe now, anti immigrant media and policies, it hasn't reduced immigration to Britain yet but surely will soon

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 9:46 PM

Italy had 312,000 immigrants? Holy crap!

Why did Italy receive so many? Economy is weak and probably one of the less welcoming EU states for newcomers.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Italy had 312,000 immigrants? Holy crap!

Why did Italy receive so many? Economy is weak and probably one of the less welcoming EU states for newcomers.
It's because Italy is the nearest European country a lot of immigrants get to, the eu rules are that immigrants have to apply for residence or asylum in the first eu country they get to, most of them just travel straight through Italy añd Greece to get to Northern Europe, which is where they àll want to be, but many are made to stay in Italy and greece

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
one of the less welcoming EU states for newcomers.
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
It's because Italy is the nearest European country a lot of immigrants get to, the eu rules are that immigrants have to apply for residence or asylum in the first eu country they get to, most of them just travel straight through Italy añd Greece to get to Northern Europe, which is where they àll want to be, but many are made to stay in Italy and greece
And not true.

Basically the both of you are consistently talking out of your ass almost every post you make...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:18 PM

A comparison of Greater London and a territory of the same land area in Paris, based on the results of the 2011 French and British censuses.

Evolution of the population since 1811:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:04 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiRO View Post
Not true.

And not true.

Basically the both of you are consistently talking out of your ass almost every post you make...
You really think Italy (or Greece) is as welcoming or tolerant to an African/Middle Eastern immigrant as Scandinavia, The Netherlands, the UK (barring the UKIP/Eastern Euro stuff, I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place) etc., are? And that is to make no mention of the generally vastly superior welfare/unemployment/state assistance schemes and more robust job markets in those places.

In terms of acceptance, Italy is definitely less accepting than Northern Europe, and many immigrants would openly tell you this. Look at all the shit their first black minister is getting (fellow ministers calling her an "orangutan," for example), all the crap towards Mario Balotelli, bananas regularly thrown at black footballers, etc. I am a person of color, and I certainly feel more comfortable in the UK or Norway or Sweden than Italy, or much less Greece.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
You really think Italy (or Greece) is as welcoming or tolerant to an African/Middle Eastern immigrant as Scandinavia, The Netherlands, the UK (barring the UKIP/Eastern Euro stuff, I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place) etc., are? And that is to make no mention of the generally vastly superior welfare/unemployment/state assistance schemes and more robust job markets in those places.

In terms of acceptance, Italy is definitely less accepting than Northern Europe, and many immigrants would openly tell you this. Look at all the shit their first black minister is getting (fellow ministers calling her an "orangutan," for example), all the crap towards Mario Balotelli, bananas regularly thrown at black footballers, etc. I am a person of color, and I certainly feel more comfortable in the UK or Norway or Sweden than Italy, or much less Greece.
Pff, dude, you're being enraged once more, huh? And you're just being ignorant of southern Europe's history. You need to be reminded (of course you actually know and forget), back to the sorry middle ages, most of Spain as well as some regions of southern Italy and southern France were invaded and downright dominated by the Arab lords. I'm not saying it was a complete curse since back then, as everyone here should know, the Muslim world was slightly more advanced and enlightened than the darker European obscurantism of that terrible period, thanks to their massive conquests and the achievements of the civilizations they had enslaved. The Arab lords are even said to be partly responsible for the European renaissance (that started precisely from Italy, you remember?), from reintroducing the ancient Greek work to the Euro regions they had conquered. Still, they Arabs weren't exactly what you'd call enlightened today. They were pretty quick to treat you as a slave, if not an animal. Their so-called doctors even used to say the Africans were closer to animals than the Europeans, for easier to bring down to slavery. They were ugly barbarians that left southern Europe with much grudge and issues.

You're nothing like a "person of color", you're just an American, spoiled like an annoying French.

Quote:
I'd say that it is generally much easier for an immigrant to integrate, succeed, and be accepted in the UK, if only for the fact that well-established immigrant support networks and communities are already in place
mhm, I've never actually lived out there, but I've got a feeling that what's bolded is essential, indeed.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:22 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Mousquet, I don't understand what your message has to do with the post of Kingofthehill.
I fail to see the relationship between the Arabs invation in the Middle age and the immigration in Italy today.
Quote:

I think SHiRO meant that Italy was not less welcoming in term of law.
It is not more difficult to immigrate in Italy than in other European countries. It is quite the oposite by looking the numbers, especially when it is put in in relation to the economy.

Easy immigration is one of the things that may explain the high immigration in Italy despite all the other negative factors.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 PM

Well, the thing is the guy's plainly stating that southern Europe, that is Greece and Italy in that case, would be particularly backwards and racist, that is wrong. There are historic explanations to their current difficulties. That's what I said in my post. Bah come on, you know I have no particular problem with the contemporary Arabs. Qatar for instance is being pretty helpful to us Frenchies. They are great investors and they've got some cool cultural stuff. I'm just trying to explain the assumptive distrust of Italy to what doesn't look fully European. Yes, history's kind of a burden in that case. Damn, you can't leave Italy, that's our closest and historically most influential neighbor dispraised like that. That's just not fair.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:18 PM

^^Sinon ein Kommentar sur ma carte de Paris et Londres ?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 12:29 PM

A comparison of NYC (the 4 densest boroughs) and a territory of the same land area in Paris, based on the results of the 2011 French census and postcensal US estimates. I've added 5-year growth figures.

Evolution of the population since 1860:

The 634 km² of NYC reached their population peak in 1950, then declined, then grew again, and passed the 1950 peak in 2010. The 636 km² of Paris reached their peak in 1968, then declined, then grew again, and passed their 1968 peak in 2005.

Both territories are currently at their maximum population in history, although Manhattan (59 km²) only has 68.5% the population of its 1910 peak, and the City of Paris (87 km²) only has 77.4% the population of its 1921 peak.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Well, the thing is the guy's plainly stating that southern Europe, that is Greece and Italy in that case, would be particularly backwards and racist, that is wrong. There are historic explanations to their current difficulties. That's what I said in my post. Bah come on, you know I have no particular problem with the contemporary Arabs. Qatar for instance is being pretty helpful to us Frenchies. They are great investors and they've got some cool cultural stuff. I'm just trying to explain the assumptive distrust of Italy to what doesn't look fully European. Yes, history's kind of a burden in that case. Damn, you can't leave Italy, that's our closest and historically most influential neighbor dispraised like that. That's just not fair.
France is a Northern European country, Northern European countries like UK, France and germany are richer, more developed, more liberal and cosmopolitan, this is one of the reasons why immigrants prefer to live in Northern Europe than southern europe

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:53 PM

I think France's identity, as this nation still is for now is really complex in that matter. Neither "northern" nor "southern", or say maybe both. From Corsica to Nord-Pas-de-Calais, there's a whole little universe made of various things. Lol. And that's not even taking far and away overseas territories into account. It's just very western for sure.

I assume sooner or later, when people are ready for it, we'll end up merged with neighbors in a federal union anyway. Then the overall French territory could well be dismantled into several member regions of the federal union. I know that sounds crazy and definitely disturbing to many for now, but you never know what 50 years ahead will be like.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:54 PM

^^So if Lorraine is merged with Saarland and Rhineland-Palatinate, Dieudonné will become a German comedian?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:20 PM
BANNED

I've always thought of France as a Northern European country, it's culture and politics is Northern European, it's history and place in Europe has always been with Britain, Germany, the Netherlands etc, its empire like UK and Netherlands, it's army navy and airforce is very Northern European, paris is definitely northern and it's economical and political persuasion are Northern European...to me it is anyway, but you know your country better than me, I would say however, that France is more similar to UK, Germany and the Netherlands than Italy, Portugal or greece

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 10:19 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

There are still a big gap between Western and Eastern European countries.
Anyway could we back to topic.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
First of all this was not my claim...

Quote:
A fellow minister did not call Kyenge an orangutan, that was a Lega Nord senator (you are displaying your ignorance of Italian politics here proving your "opinion" is based on nothing more than the headlines and your own stereotypes to fill in the gaps). What about the fact that Italy even has a black immigrant minister?* The remarks were widely condemned, as are instances where bananas were thrown at black players (which didn't happen as often as you make it out to be). Balotelli gets crap because he is dumb and an asshole, if he just plays well and doesn't break into women's prisons or sets things on fire he's just another Italian football player scoring goals for his team or country.

Lastly, you have just as much prejudice towards Italians or Greeks judging by your posts as you suppose they have against "people of color" (a racist term in itself).

*(btw how many immigrant cabinet members in the USA? Thought so...)

Last edited by SHiRO; Jan 4, 2014 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

Population growth in the Spanish provinces and the departments of Metropolitan France (the European part of France) in 2010, based on the results of the 2011 French and Spanish censuses. For comparison, I'm also adding a map showing population growth in 2007, the last year before the crisis, based on intercensal estimates.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 7:46 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

OFF Topic: I have a question about the language.
"More than -0.5%" would not be more correct to "less than -0.5%" in this map?
Because for me, a minus of a negative is positive while a plus of a negative is negative
This would means that "less than -0.5%" means a lower decline than -0.5% while "more than -0.5%" means a higher decline than -0.5%.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

+ US states and Canadian provinces for comparison.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe