HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 11:21 PM
Un vrai Rrrrrégal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Ah, yes. Well, maybe Quebec isn't doing so bad then!
See! On one hand we help the economy by creating jobs but on the other hand we keep families happy by keeping kids happy. Everybody wins! This is what I call equilibrium. This is what a planned economy is all about, really. This Family Holiday of yours is, frankly, quite amateurish in comparison

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmeee
See! On one hand we help the economy by creating jobs but on the other hand we keep families happy by keeping kids happy. Everybody wins! This is what I call equilibrium. This is what a planned economy is all about, really. This Family Holiday of yours is, frankly, quite amateurish in comparison
I must admit, I did not consider all the facts (or rather, the ramifications of all the facts) when making my posts. I concede defeat.

Quote:
^problem is, your 'jokes' cannot be construed as funny, except by fellow Quebec bashers.
You guys sure love making assumptions. I'm a Quebec basher now? Oy. And note, that isn't a Quebec bash. I know from experience that most Quebecers aren't as insecure and sensitive as the ones here (hypersensitivity seems to be a common trait around skyscraperpage forums).

But don't worry, Acramajack et al. I'll plug myself back into the Unimatrix Ontario hive mind soon enough. You won't have to worry about hearing differing opinions from Ontario ever again!

Last edited by theman23; Mar 26, 2008 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Opinions are like Assholes...everybody's got one.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

theman23:

The problem is that your posts were more reminiscent of nasty sarcasm than of a good-natured jibe. So you shouldn’t be surprised that people like me snapped back with nasty sarcasm.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go work on my form at my Québécois “walking on water” class.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 4:50 AM

It's ironic. The hatred for Ontario in this thread is just as strong as that of Quebec, if not stronger. Just saying.

Can't we just get along

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 5:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

If you navigate to the main page of these forums and scroll down to the bottom, you will see a list entitled "Forum Rules". The second item in the list is "No anti-social behavior, trolling, spamming, etc.".

Typically what happens when you are in violation of the forum rules is that you are first warned and then you are banned, although things don't necessarily have to happen in this order.

Just an FYI.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 11:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Is this warning directed at me?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

No, it's directed at theman23 and HAMRetrofit.

If you two want to derail threads, go do it in your own section.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:45 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

My sincerest apologies. I was being factious in my post I actually like Montreal a great deal and hope that the economy there remains stable. Keep up the job growth.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 4:20 PM

I think his joke about Burger flippers is somewhat legit and I doubt he was directing it at Quebeckers specifically to be rude but rather political.

Most job growth tends to occur in these low income jobs and then the conservatives point and say "hey look at all the jobs we're creating". In Ontario in the 90s unemployment fell because welfare recipients were forced into employment (not a bad thing) but typically they gained employment in low income go nowhere jobs and were still a strain on the system. I would only celebrate these numbers if in fact they were jobs in manufacturing, science, education etc. Growths in food service and housekeeping jobs aren't exactly a measure of a boon in the economy.

Canada is the quintessential land of "lowered expectations".

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:29 PM
Always High

I don't see how someone working a low paying job wether it be flipping burgers or not so that they can provide food, shelter and education to themselves and their children lowers expectations. Employement, no matter what type, offers a better potential for improvement then no employement.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 10:36 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
I don't see how someone working a low paying job wether it be flipping burgers or not so that they can provide food, shelter and education to themselves and their children lowers expectations. Employement, no matter what type, offers a better potential for improvement then no employement.
That exactly my point of view

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:33 PM

"I don't see how someone working a low paying job wether it be flipping burgers or not so that they can provide food, shelter and education to themselves and their children lowers expectations. Employement, no matter what type, offers a better potential for improvement then no employement."

Because these jobs rarely provide coverages that a skilled job provides. People who flip burgers are not making enough to support themselves and their families. They remain a strain on the system. You may not see those numbers in the welfare rolls but you see them when the province is required to pay for their medications or subsidize their medical care, or day care or their children go without. Making minimum wage in any community in Canada is still not enough to support yourself.

Sure it's better than welfare but it's not a measure of how well the economy is doing. Having unskilled people living hand to mouth in the long run is the country's ruin.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 3:21 PM
Always High

Ofcouse its a measure of how well the economy is doing. When unskilled people are working or looking for work they are helping the economy. When the economy is weak, unskilled people don't even look for work. They aren't even counted as being unemployed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 12:13 AM
Un vrai Rrrrrégal!

I think Gerrard's point is that low unemployment should not be assumed automatically to be a sign that all is well or an excuse for governments to brag about their exploits. A complete assessment of the situation has to involve the quality of the jobs, not only their quantity.

It doesn't mean that low income jobs aren't better than no income, it means that really we should continue to work on improving the situation even if unemployment loses a few points

Gerrard, I hope I'm not putting words in your mouth... if I do, sorry!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 3:42 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Why the hell should this statistic come as a surprise? I mean, Toronto is not going to be on top every single month of every single year, as Montreal was not on top everytime, all the time, back over the 150 years that it was Canada's biggest metropolis.

Good for you, Montreal!!!!

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 4:51 AM

Aérospatiale: AAA Canada arrive à Montréal
The Greater Montréal aerospace sector welcomes a new player

L’entreprise ouvrira ses portes en mai et compte créer une centaine d’emplois durant sa première année d’activité.

L’entreprise ouvrira ses portes en mai et compte créer une centaine d’emplois durant sa première année d’activité.

La française AAA et la québécoise Drakkar Ressources Humaines s’associent pour créer AAA Canada, une firme de sous-traitance dans le domaine de la production industrielle en aérospatiale qui s’installera dans le Technoparc Montréal.

L’entreprise ouvrira ses portes en mai et compte créer une centaine d’emplois durant sa première année d’activité. Il s’agit d’un investissement de 5 millions de dollars sur cinq ans.

AAA Canada a comme modèle d’affaires d’impartir son personnel directement chez ses clients, ce qui «permet à ces derniers de réduire leurs coûts d’opération et de conserver leur production industrielle dans leurs installations».

Les activités d’AAA Canada, qui seront placées sous la direction de Richard Demoucelle, couvriront les divers aspects de la production industrielle d’aéronefs, soit les étapes de planification, de méthodes, de fabrication, d’entretien et d’inspection.

L’annonce de l’arrivée d’AAA Canada à Montréal a été faite par le président et chef de la direction de Drakkar, Denis Deschamps, dans le cadre du salon Aéromart Montréal 2008, qui se déroule actuellement au Palais des Congrès de Montréal.

«La création d’AAA Canada représente une étape importante pour notre entrée sur le marché nord-américain et plus spécifiquement au Québec, territoire propice à l’industrie de l’aérospatiale», a pour sa part déclaré le président d’AAA France, Gilles Chauby, dans un communiqué.

La mise en place d’AAA Canada a bénéficié du support de Montréal International.

http://www.lesaffaires.com/article/0...ntreal.fr.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 4:59 AM

Contrat fédéral de 600 M$ à CAE

Le mandat serait confié à CAE dès le mois prochain. Photo: Bloomberg

La montréalaise CAE est sur le point de décrocher un contrat de 600 millions de dollars du gouvernement fédéral pour la formation de pilotes d'avions et d'hélicoptères de la Défense nationale.

En 2006, le gouvernement s'apprêtait à confier la formation à deux entreprises américaines, Lockheed-Martin et Boeing. Cependant, tôt en 2007, Ottawa annonçait que le contrat de formation dans le cadre de l'achat pour 10 milliards $ de nouveaux appareils pour la Défense ne serait octroyé qu'à une seule entreprise, rapporte le Globe and Mail.

Le mandat serait confié à CAE dès le mois prochain, d'écrire le journal, afin d'enseigner aux pilotes des nouveaux avions Hercules et des nouveaux hélicoptères Chinook.

CAE, qui célèbre son 60e anniversaire cette année, est connue pour son travail dans le domaine des technologies de simulation et de modélisation et dans celui des solutions intégrées de formation destinées à l'aviation civile et aux forces de défense. Environ 6000 personnes travaillent dins ses 75 installations réparties dans 20 pays.

L'an dernier, une porte-parole de CAE, Nathalie Bourque, avait nié que l'entreprise avait appliqué un intense lobby afin que le contrat de formation ne soit accordé qu'à une seule entreprise plutôt qu'à deux.

Toutefois, le Globe and Mail dit avoir obtenu des documents en vertu de la Loi d'accès à l'information qui démontreraient que CAE a soumis par écrit au gouvernement, en deuxième moitié d'année 2006, une propositio~ en ce sens. La multinationale montréalaise aurait promis qu'un regroupement de la formation serait plus efficace et moins dispendieux.
CAE prétendait aussi que les militaires canadiens seraient ainsi formés au Canada par des Canadiens et que l'expertise de formation acquise par l'entreprise pourrait ultérieurement être exportée.

http://www.lesaffaires.com/article/0...-a-cae.fr.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal