HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:35 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6855

Unveiled> Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 6
Michael Van Valkenburgh and Bjarke Ingels team up for a soaring new landscape design

Branden Klayko

Quote:
At the East River terminus of Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn-based Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates has already transformed 1.6 acres of Pier 6 into a whimsical playscape of rocky crags and spraying water interspersed by lush plantings. This landscape forms the southern anchor for the wildly-popular 86-acre Brooklyn Bridge Park (BBP). Now Van Valkenburgh is teaming up with Bjarke Ingels, founder of BIG, to complete the landscape and add an architectural statement at the pier.

Van Valkenburgh’s new landscape is intended to be more pastoral and less programmed than the first half of the pier, building on the most successful elements of the rest of the park. “We wanted a large lawn at the end of the pier. We learned from the success of Pier 1 that people like to gather,” Regina Myer, president of Brooklyn Bridge Park, told AN. Surrounded by a wide promenade at its perimeter, the design for Pier 6 includes a broad lawn for large events connected to land by a green swath flanked by densely planted beds that act as acoustical barriers.

At one corner, a stepped, triangular platform forms a 17-foot-tall wooden curl—dubbed the Mantaray—that functions as a sheltered seating area and provides a dramatic vantage point to view the Manhattan skyline. “The Mantaray is a small public platform at the end of the pier—equally accessible above and below,” Ingels said in a statement. “Its namesake organic slopes and curves have been shaped by concerns for accessibility, safety, shelter, structure—like a manmade reef evolved to accommodate human life.”

The platform’s shape is intended to add to the vertical topography of the pier. “We tasked BIG with designing a pavilion-like structure that could provide shade and offer the ability to walk above,” Myer said. “This is a really unique moment at the end of Pier 6. The southern-most pier is very flat and has very different vantage points than the rest of the park.”

The 6,000-square-foot Mantaray will be fully ADA accessible and clad in timber slabs chosen to withstand the harsh waterfront elements and to create a sense of texture and color. Because of the structure’s weight, Myer said some additional structural support will be required to build the viewing platform.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 3:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yesterday

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 10:20 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 60 Furman St | 130 FT | 10 FLOORS

Eco-friendly eye candy: Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park
FEBRUARY 15, 2014

Renderings: Marvel Architects

Quote:
Construction is moving along at Pierhouse at Brooklyn Bridge Park, an artfully sprawling condo-hotel complex by Toll Brothers City Living and Starwood Capital.

The project at 60 Furman Street is expected to generate $3.3 million in revenues for the park’s anticipated $16.1 million annual maintenance budget, according to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.

The 108-unit condominium building designed by Marvel Architects offers one- to five-bedroom apartments priced from $1.5 million to $11 million. Most of the townhouse-style residences will be duplexes with 18-foot windows, and 80 percent of the units have terraces. The floors are made of reclaimed hardwood pine, while the kitchens feature solid walnut cabinetry, marble countertops and Gaggenau appliances. The master bathrooms have soaking tubs and marble floors and walls.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 6:03 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of February 25th, 2014...
Photo Credit: Tectonic

©Tectonic

©Tectonic

©Tectonic

©Tectonic

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:25 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Brownstoner:

Brooklyn Bridge Park Releases Details on Pier 2, Opening This Spring
by Rebecca 02/25/14 11:30am

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park’s Pier 2 in on track to wrap up construction in the spring, and the finished product will feature a roller rink, several sports courts, workout area and green space. Community Board Two released all the details about the planned five acres for recreation activities in an email yesterday.

Pier 2 will include five full-size basketball courts, two of which will be covered by the pier roof, the roller rink, six handball courts, three shuffleboard courts, two bocce courts, a half acre of turf and a workout area equipped with state of the art fitness equipment. There will also be 12 swings of varying sizes, restrooms, picnic tables, lockers and skate rentals. BBP will begin taking permit applications for use of the sports courts on April 1.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:50 AM
BANNED

If there is something that ought to be changed, it's burying that diesel fume belching highway called the BQE. I wouldn't want to be a resident of that building. If you walk on the promenade you can smell it i think.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 11:26 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

I feel like these threads should be merged... no? Essentially, the latter thread is a sub-development of the entire Brooklyn Bridge Park redevelopment, if I'm understanding correctly. I've posted updates on the buildings in the larger, older thread.

Merge...
NEW YORK | Brooklyn Bridge Park Hotel and Condos

with...
NEW YORK | Brooklyn Bridge Park

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Mar 1, 2014 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:10 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 24th, 2014...

©field_condition on Instagram

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:15 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of April 13th, 2014...

©Tectonic

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:59 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

Pierhouse Starts to Take Shape Beside Brooklyn Bridge Park
Wednesday, April 23, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 6:53 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Brooklyn Bridge Park's Newest Sections Almost Ready to Open
Monday, April 28, 2014, by Jessica Dailey

The Pier 4 beach and greenway.

Quote:
The continuously under-construction Brooklyn Bridge Park is almost ready to open two new sections designed by Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates. Last fall, a greenway on the Pier 2 and 3 uplands finally connected all the pieces of the park, and now the pathway will be joined by several grassy lawns, the Pier 4 beach, and they action-packed Pier 2, which holds five acres of sports courts and a waterfront promenade. The new spaces should open by the end of May, but last week, Open House New York hosted a (rainy) sneak peek tour.

Looking south across the Pier 4 beach, toward One Brooklyn Bridge Park and Pier 5.

More photos @ CurbedNY

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 3:33 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of May 4th, 2014...

©field_condition on Instagram

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:38 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of June 2nd, 2014...

©Tectonic

More photos @ WNY

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 9:37 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

This is one of the most amazing projects I have seen, nice to see things coming to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:15 PM
New Yorker for life

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7434

Affording the Waterfront
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio issues RFP for affordable housing at Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Henry Melcher

Quote:
As under-construction condominiums on the north side of Brooklyn Bridge Park shatter borough sales records, affordable units are slated to bookend the other end of the 85-acre site. The park has issued an RFP for two new towers at the south end of the park. Nearly a third of this new development is expected to include affordable apartments. The towers—one 16 stories and the other twice that size—would rise on currently vacant sites adjacent the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.

Given the mayor’s plan to build or preserve 200,000 units of affordable housing over the next decade, this news is not surprising in its own right. The inclusion of affordable housing at Brooklyn Bridge Park, though, marks a significant turn in the park’s history, and, possibly, its future.

The park was created as a public-private partnership with the city and state fronting money for construction, and property taxes from development at the park covering the upkeep—about $16 million a year. The 550,000-square-foot, Marvel Architects–designed condo and hotel project currently rising at the park is a key part of that plan.

Some local groups have opposed residential development at the park, claiming that it would block views of Manhattan and turn the public space into a backyard for the wealthy. But since the first phase of the park opened in 2010 it has been wildly popular with the public, and the planned towers at the site will likely do little to change that. In many ways, the fact that there is any green space at the site at all is a victory. When the park was being planned, the Port Authority proposed using the piers for high-rise development and parking lots.

The two new towers proposed under the de Blasio administration are also receiving their fair share of backlash, but not just for their size. Opponents point out that affordable units would provide significantly less revenue for the park, if any revenue at all. This has noticeably put community groups on the awkward side of opposing affordable housing in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city.

Creating new affordable housing and continuing to provide funds for the park is not a zero-sum game for mayor de Blasio. A spokesperson for his administration told the Wall Street Journal, “We can secure the necessary funding to maintain this world-class park while simultaneously providing an affordable housing component to ensure the community actually represents Brooklyn.”

While this plan is in its early stages, the reception it has already received foreshadows the many development debates to come. As mayor de Blasio sets out to build 80,000 new affordable units over the next decade, he will certainly get pushback from local groups about the size, location, and design of new projects.

This is nothing new—development will always have its detractors, and that is not always a bad thing. But in de Blasio’s New York, opposing new development will increasingly mean opposing new affordable housing. It is a complicated and thorny debate and one that is about to play-out all across the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development