HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Putting the Lucas Museum at Grant Park is the worst idea because the last thing Lucas needs is more political resistance. I can guarantee you that there will be a lot of that if the city tries to build a new structure on the park.

The best bet is city owned land downtown, if there is any, or to convince a land owner to lease it to them. Navy Pier, something around McCormick Place, or the Post Office are the best options that don't require some sort of eminent domain, won't create a lot of political resistance, and can quickly land on Lucas' lap to mull moving forward on.
True re: Political resistence but I think it would be less here than in SF, honestly. Navy Pier is already undergoing big renovations so I doubt it's going to put that in there.

I wish there was a way for all of those parking lots at State & Chicago to become city land LOL That would be an interesting site to put it at.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 9:22 PM

Would building the Lucas museum on top of the Jardine water filtration plant be feasible?

Just spit ballin' here.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 9:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Besides Hyde Park, straddling the Blue Line subway portal between Milwaukee and Linden in Logan Square would be freakin sweet.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Apr 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Would building the Lucas museum on top of the Jardine water filtration plant be feasible?

Just spit ballin' here.
I don't see why not. Especially if the plant is in need of upgrades.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:14 AM

Boo. That thing is baller. Lakeside Center is an awesome idea.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 6:14 AM

Looks like the conversion of the old Studebaker showroom at 2014-38 South Michigan Ave into 65 apartment units + ground floor retail was approved last month by the zoning committee and a building permit to the tune of $9M was issued on 4/16 for it. Looks like the vacant lot just south of it will be converted into 54 parking spaces for it (ugh).

Info I've gathered via the April agenda (in a few days)

* There is a proposed conversion of a 5 story building at 3141 N Sheffield, which is near the Belmont Red/Purple/Brown line stop and just south of the Vic. It says 80 apartments and ground floor retail. Patch and Curbed had articles about this one last May and apparently there will be a rooftop health club too. Yay TOD! Hope this one is approved!

http://lakeview.patch.com/groups/edi...o-lofts-retail
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...de-the-vic.php

Quote:
They plan to maintain the historic brick building while adding nice features like decorative lighting to the outside to move away from the industrial feel.
Quote:
“You basically have a fortress now—it’s dark all night, and it’s dark during the day,” Kaiser said. “We’re cutting out a lot of new windows to get bright light into the space. … We’re working within the existing structure to create this loft-style apartment feel.”
Quote:
There will be six two-bedroom apartments—four of which will have rooftop terraces—combined with 50 one-bedroom units and 24 efficiency apartments. Rent is estimated to cost $800-$1000 for the studios, $1200-$1350 for the one-bedroom units and less than $2000 for the two-bedroom spaces.
* Proposed 46 unit hotel in the former Borden's Dairy building at 312 W Chestnut. I wrote about this already but I'll try again! Same owners as Urban Holiday in Wicker Park. 352-60 W Chestnut

* 914 W Monroe (Monroe and Sangamon/Peoria) - Proposed 6 story, 8 unit building + 12 parking space first floor garage. Looks like it is a 1 story warehouse/industrial building right now. Right across the street from Mary Bartelme Park. Sangamon Partners LLC

* 924 W Monroe (Monroe and Sangamon) - Proposed 7 story, 10 unit building + 12 parking space first floor garage. Looks like it is a 1 story warehouse/industrial building right now. Right across the street from Mary Bartelme Park. Sangamon Partners LLC

* 23 S Sangamon (Monroe/Madison and Sangamon) - Proposed 7 story, 10 unit building + 13 parking space first floor garage. Vacant lot/1 story warehouse/industrial building right now. Right across the street from Mary Bartelme Park. Sangamon Partners LLC

* New music venue space at 2310-26 W Fulton from Style Matters DJs? Not sure if this is just a special use one time thing or permanent. Probably just one time use but hey I can dream right?

Also, from February
* 328 W Wisconsin (Wisconsin & Orleans) - Establish a 4 story, 8 unit building.
* 2100 W Eastwood (near the Damen Brown Line stop) - Old firehouse to be converted into SFH

Last edited by marothisu; Apr 19, 2014 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 3:20 PM

Here is a link to the pdna pdf of the entire presentation for the McPier event center, data center, and Marquis hotel (not much new information on the hotel). Has some massing models, and some pretty detailed renderings of the data center - its apparently 12 stories and 270 feet tall.

Also has a some other renderings of developments in the south loop, like on Cullerton and Wabash, Cullerton and State (the Blue Star auto). It also shows the townhome development at 1900 S Calumet (plan and profiles).

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0012CenB...2EuXFvtnqgVg==

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

Just spit ballin' here.
Ooo I really like that idea. It adds public use to lake front land currently closed off to the public. I think it's a bit more 'special' than between Michigan and Columbus at Roosevelt, and that seems to be something Lucas is really looking for.

Feasibility does sound like it could be an issue, but would it really be much more difficult than decking over the tracks?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 6:09 PM

There might be debate over whether a George Lucas museum would really be all that "public use". Sure it'd be open to the public, but so is a Starbucks. I don't know if a museum dedicated to a private interest is all that public. Would a Motorola Museum qualify for public use? A JP Morgan Chase Financial Planning Awareness Museum?

Just because there's big bags of cash being thrown around and the word museum is involved, it doesn't mean we should start giving away waterfront land to movie memorabilia warehouses.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 8:30 PM
The City

^. I think a museum is public if has allowances for free admission

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:05 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, that's pretty much the tradeoff. Museums seeking public lakefront land have historically offered free admission to Illinois and/or Chicago residents at certain dates and times.

Grant Park between Randolph and 11th Place has a special prohibition on buildings, but the rest of the lakefront does not. New buildings on the lakefront are handled on a case-by-case basis. In the case of Lakeside Center, I think a Lucas Museum would be a far more public use than a convention center holding events that are only open to a privileged few, or to those who pay astronomical prices for entry.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:35 AM
Urbane observer

The "Museums in the Parks" are a special category. They get tax revenue from the Park District. In return, they're required to offer free admission to Illinois residents 52 days out of the year.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
There might be debate over whether a George Lucas museum would really be all that "public use". Sure it'd be open to the public, but so is a Starbucks. I don't know if a museum dedicated to a private interest is all that public. Would a Motorola Museum qualify for public use? A JP Morgan Chase Financial Planning Awareness Museum?

Just because there's big bags of cash being thrown around and the word museum is involved, it doesn't mean we should start giving away waterfront land to movie memorabilia warehouses.
To be fair, the Lucas Museum is more than a collection of Star Wars tchotchke.

Has Lucas even mentioned how much space he may need if he locates the museum in Chicago? I ask because looking at the presentation Lucas made for the Presidio site, the entire museum would have been 93,000-97,000 square feet total, which would fill about a third of one floor at Lakeside Center. I don't know whether the guidelines put in place by the Presidio Trust dictated the facility's size, or whether that's all the square footage Lucas really needs.

Last edited by Mister Uptempo; Apr 20, 2014 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
New renderings of the DePaul stadium courtesy of Chicago Architecture Blog:

Unfortunately no new renderings of the hotel tower portion of the project.

More details here: http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...-to-neighbors/
I haven't seen any word on whether this new arena would be built solely for basketball or whether it can accommodate a NHL sized ice rink? I'm not at all implying using it for NHL purposes, just wondering if it's being designed in a way that is multipurpose or one that's focused mainly on basketball? For example the United Center easily accommodates both the NBA and NHL, however the new Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets, which was designed exclusively for basketball and is now trying to accommodate the NHL's Islanders, has a rather awkward configuration for hockey. If it can accommodate an ice rink, is there an estimated capacity for that configuration?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 2:54 PM

Anyone heard what's going on at Halsted and Oakdale? A rather large, vacant building was razed last week.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:33 PM
TL;DR

^ Sadly, this does not include the parking lot on the corner, which is parking for Gaslight Village across the street.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I haven't seen any word on whether this new arena would be built solely for basketball or whether it can accommodate a NHL sized ice rink? I'm not at all implying using it for NHL purposes, just wondering if it's being designed in a way that is multipurpose or one that's focused mainly on basketball? For example the United Center easily accommodates both the NBA and NHL, however the new Barclays Center for the Brooklyn Nets, which was designed exclusively for basketball and is now trying to accommodate the NHL's Islanders, has a rather awkward configuration for hockey. If it can accommodate an ice rink, is there an estimated capacity for that configuration?
I was thinking the same thing, but not for an NHL configuration.
I was more interested in a Chicago ATP/WTA professional tennis tournament. Over in Europe there are many large scale indoor tennis tournaments such as the Open GDF Suez in Paris, and The Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (going on now) in Stuttgart. I would think that McCormick place would have the space for many indoor courts with temporary seating, and once this arena is completely it would make a great central court. The popularity of tennis has definitely been on the upswing, especially in the US. It saddens me that smaller cities like Charleston, Cinncinatti, Birmingham, New Haven, Stanford, etc have fairly decent sized professional tennis tournaments. Having an indoor court could be an asset to Chicago with the ability to host a tournament in the winter months prior to the first major of the year, the Austrailian Open. I know it is probably just wishful thinking, but I think it could definitely be a great way to attract more tourist to Chicago. I go to Cinncinatti every year for the Western and Southern Open, and if it weren't for that tournament I would not have any real reason to visit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:07 PM

2938-48 N Halsted is supposed to be 25 units I believe. Nice kind of TOD and cool since that place on Sheffield just south of the Belmont stop not far away is being renovated into 80 loft apartments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:13 PM
THAT Guy

Proposed Jackson Park pavilion

http://www.project120chicago.org/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:30 PM
MPLSXCHI

Nice modern design, not bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development