HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
second avenue sagas:

fulton st. To open june 26
by benjamin kabak march 25, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
today

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:34 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Checking In on the $1.4B Fulton Center Before June's Opening
Friday, April 4, 2014, by Hana R. Alberts

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:39 PM

I'm not terribly familiar with transit options downtown - what is the point of this with the WTC transit station just a few blocks away?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I'm not terribly familiar with transit options downtown - what is the point of this with the WTC transit station just a few blocks away?
This is a totally separate subway hub.

They will all be linked together underground, though. You will be able to walk underneath the financial district from the Hudson River almost to Water Street on the East River side.

I am still blown away at how expensive transit projects are in NYC. There has to be some way to get a handle on spending like 5 times more than any other first-world city. How in the hell does a subway station cost 1.4 billion, even if it's a super-grand, gigantic subway station. I mean, it isn't even a new subway station, it's just a renovation/upgrade of an existing hub.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is a totally separate subway hub.

They will all be linked together underground, though. You will be able to walk underneath the financial district from the Hudson River almost to Water Street on the East River side.

I am still blown away at how expensive transit projects are in NYC. There has to be some way to get a handle on spending like 5 times more than any other first-world city. How in the hell does a subway station cost 1.4 billion, even if it's a super-grand, gigantic subway station. I mean, it isn't even a new subway station, it's just a renovation/upgrade of an existing hub.
A revolting combination of corruption and incompetence + sky high labor costs.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:00 AM

$5.5 Billion, with a "B"....

Quote:
The WTC Transportation Hub (WTC transit station) is really "just" the PATH terminal, rebuilt by the PANYNJ. Check the NYTimes, etc. regarding the current dysfunctional? state of the bi-state PANYNJ. The bi-state PANYNJ took on the old, broke, Hudson and Manhattan Railroad as part of the deal for building the original WTC in the 1960s and the the WTC was built (sorta) on the site of the H&M's demolished Hudson Terminal. From the H&M Hudson Terminal/WTC PATH station (any incarnation) you can get to Jersey City, Hoboken, etc. in Hudson County, NJ but nowhere else directly in NYC, since 1909.

The Fulton Transit Center is a NY state-ONLY MTA project that links together a bunch of NYC subway lines.

The Fulton Transit Center (MTA NYC-only subways) and PANYNJ WTC Transportation Hub will be linked together by the recently built underground Dey Street Passageway.

When the PANYNJ WTC transportation Hub opens in 2015, the rebuilt MTA #1 subway station at Cortlandt Street will also reopen, along with the underground connection within the WTC complex between the #1 and the WTC Transportation Hub.

All to the tune of ~$5.5 Billion, with a "B"....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
They built a new subway line with $5.5 billion. Now that is a great investment ...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
They built a new subway line with $5.5 billion. Now that is a great investment ...
The Second Avenue Subway costs much more than 5.5 billion. It's also nowhere near what we're talking about (it will eventually be part of the Fulton Center complex, but not for a long time, in Phase 3).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
A revolting combination of corruption and incompetence + sky high labor costs.
But I will check it out when it opens this summer. It's also a short walk west to check out the progress on the WTC Transportation Hub & the marble lined passageway under West St.

Now that spring is finally here, I can start thinking about summer...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:48 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted April 20th, 2014...
Photo Credit: ZippyTheChimp @ WNY

©ZippyTheChimp

More photos @ WNY

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:13 AM
BANNED

I'm all for preserving old buildings but this reddish color building is too much. It doesn't have the nice colors like other pre-wars buildings and what use does it have? i.e. residences/retail? It's very thin and and doesn't look right with the watered down Fulton Center next door.

It should have been razed years ago.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I'm all for preserving old buildings but this reddish color building is too much. It doesn't have the nice colors like other pre-wars buildings and what use does it have? i.e. residences/retail? It's very thin and and doesn't look right with the watered down Fulton Center next door.

It's a historic office building (the Corbin Building) from 1889, designed by Francis H. Kimball.

Quote:
Kimball was a pioneer in the use of ornamental terra-cotta in the United States, evident on the Corbin Building, on a striking row of townhouses that he designed at 133-143 West 122nd Street in Harlem, and on the Montauk Club in Park Slope, Brooklyn. A 1917 New York Times article describing him as the "father of the skyscraper" notes his bankruptcy..
- wikipedia

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:

For all the stuff the MTA messes up the restoration of the Corbin building is pretty much perfect. I've had the opportunity to view it in person and am quite happy that it was saved, it is an architectural treasure of the city.

I enjoy the juxtaposition of the old and the new side by side.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
For all the stuff the MTA messes up the restoration of the Corbin building is pretty much perfect. I've had the opportunity to view it in person and am quite happy that it was saved, it is an architectural treasure of the city.

Yeah, I like the preservation of the history of NYC.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post

Thanks for your input. I'm starting to see this building in a whole new way

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:58 PM

The fences came down last night in tandem with those surrounding the WTC memorial plaza.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I'm starting to see this building in a whole new way
you'll have to see it in person - it looks absolutely amazing. a job well done

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 11:07 PM
Walk taker

Photos taken from today - they're a bit hasty, I apologize:

The newly opened entrance, complete with brand-new signage

If you look closely, you'll notice every letter is covered with thousands of LED's

The lobby is tall, expansive, a thus far unfinished

The interior and skylight is largely still hidden by a fireproof curtain, but portions can be viewed through the seams

The banks of stairs were getting lots of use / stares, though the escalators are still being put together

From a landing on the staircase, you can catch a glimpse of the lower concourse through a hole in the curtain

Further down the block, a door opens onto the ground floor, where construction still continues apace

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 12:35 AM

Does this mean that the Dey Street Concourse will finally open at some point this month?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:54 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Does this mean that the Dey Street Concourse will finally open at some point this month?
It's scheduled to open in late June.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive