HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:34 AM
BANNED

Great, let's hope SEPTA surpasses MBTA, WMATA, and LACMTA in ridership in the next 2 years (it will happen eventually)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:51 AM
BANNED

I was wondering if this thread can be made sticky?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:03 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Great, let's hope SEPTA surpasses MBTA, WMATA, and LACMTA in ridership in the next 2 years (it will happen eventually)
If they made the system easier to use , like fare cards and free transfers across the system, i'm sure ridership would explode.... I'm sure later this decade they will , you don't even have to expand the system , just make it friendly and easier.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:08 AM
BANNED

if they make some improvements we can even surpass Chicago's CTA!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If they made the system easier to use , like fare cards and free transfers across the system, i'm sure ridership would explode.... I'm sure later this decade they will , you don't even have to expand the system , just make it friendly and easier.
The reason they were struggling to change the fare system is because how under funded SEPTA is. People always bitch about SEPTA, and I don't get it. They are one of the best transit systems in the country, and they are also the most underfunded. They do well with how little money they actually have. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling on a brighter day for SEPTA. Would like to see a new fare system and some investment in aging infrastructure before they expand though. The City Hall and Fairmount subway stops are in DIRE need of a remodeling.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
I was wondering if this thread can be made sticky?
No, but you can subscribe to it so that you'll always have a link to it. Under the "Thread tools" link at the top right of this thread, select "Subscribe to this thread."

You can then view whether or not any new posts have been made by visiting your User CP. That link is at the top left of the screen.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 12:05 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Ridership will explode when more people live and work on high-density corridors.
Transit ridership, conceptually, is an effect of some other thing happening. A number of some other things, actually. Ridership has steadily increased over the last few years as, for example, more young people live and work in the city - young people who are more likely to use transit. I'm willing to bet you that routes with ridership increases operate in areas with either population increases or demographic shifts that trend upwards of the city baseline economically and youthfully. People ride transit because it gets them places that they want to go - not just because it's there. People with a choice are more likely to use it again if it's easy - farecards or not.

Philadelphia's transit system is very good for getting people from outlying neighborhoods to Center City - not so much for traveling from neighborhood to neighborhood (say Germantown to Fox Chase) quickly and easily - particularly by rail. As the streets and the neighborhoods change most likely so too will the transit routes that serve them but not before. The impetus has to be there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:27 PM

Exclamation

SEPTA sorely needs a fare card system. Tokens just aren't convenient in 2013. Whenever I'm in Philly, I usually get a day pass.

I think a TAP card system like in DC and LA would work in Philly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
SEPTA sorely needs a fare card system. Tokens just aren't convenient in 2013. Whenever I'm in Philly, I usually get a day pass.

I think a TAP card system like in DC and LA would work in Philly.
As mentioned before, SEPTA is underfunded by nearly $300 million. They have stated that in order for them to function properly, they need at least $600 million. They have been trying to implement a fare card system for quite some time, but have not had the funding to do so. Now that they are receiving more funding, I would imagine a new fare system to be implemented shortly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
As mentioned before, SEPTA is underfunded by nearly $300 million. They have stated that in order for them to function properly, they need at least $600 million. They have been trying to implement a fare card system for quite some time, but have not had the funding to do so. Now that they are receiving more funding, I would imagine a new fare system to be implemented shortly.
The Question now is will they do it right.....or fumbled it?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:44 PM

Possible BRT between NJ and Philadelphia

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-1...pid-bus-system

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 9:30 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The DVARP guys say that not only is that proposal altogether inferior to rail to Glassboro, but that it barely qualifies as BRT as well.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 6:37 PM

Century-old subway station discovored in Center City...cool

Quote:
Elevator work was delayed until the old station was judged… (PAUL NUSSBAUM…)
Elevators for two PATCO train stations have been delayed by construction problems and the discovery of the remnants of an abandoned, century-old subway station during excavation work.

The elevators were supposed to be ready for use by the end of 2012 at PATCO's Ninth-10th and Locust Street subway station in Center City and the elevated Ferry Avenue station in Camden.

But the $5 million project has been slowed by permitting delays, supplier problems, utility conflicts, and, most important, the discovery of the old station under the Ninth and Locust site.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-2...levators-patco

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 10:23 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_bonus View Post
That's pretty damn neat. I was under the impression that only the Arch Street sections were built and unused. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
That's pretty damn neat. I was under the impression that only the Arch Street sections were built and unused. Thanks for the link.
Well, according to Wiki, work stopped around 1915 due to lack of funding. And ofcourse the 8th street and Locust street tunnel sections, used by PATCO today are part of the originally planned, yet never finished, downtown loop.

Wait...I never knew that the Arch Street sections were completed. In that case, sounds almost like the 19th street section between Locust and Arch is the only major missing segment from the loop. Bacause although 15/16th is the last stop on the Patco, the tunnel actually extends an additional 2 blocks to 18th.

Can't wait for pics of this station!

Oh, and you guys are welcome.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 1:20 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Neat regarding that PATCO station. I do have a question tho. I have taken the PATCO line from Haddonfield all the way to the end of the line at 15/16 Street. I had a feeling the tunnel continued for a distance beyond that. Was there a plan to extend the line beyond 16th Street? Since the tunnel apparently goes as far as 18th Street, a station there would directly serve Rittenhouse Square...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:33 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Indeed, the tail tracks extend all the way to Rittenhouse Square (18th & Locust).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
SEPTA is promising a major overhaul in their fare system, so expect your tokens and magnetic paper tickets to be a thing of the past as early as 2014.
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...okens.php#more

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Time for Celebration and some farewell parties for the tokens....will probably be planned.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Time for Celebration and some farewell parties for the tokens....will probably be planned.
I can honestly say I will miss the tokens. It's sort of charming to me to board trains with tokens... I hope they keep them on display in the SEPTA museum forever haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation