HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:12 PM
Canadian Urbanite

There's a Vietnamese restaurant going in on 18th Ave SW (and 4th Street SW - ish...)

It's called Mint, and it's taking over the location of the former Smoke's Poutinerie

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
There's a Vietnamese restaurant going in on 18th Ave SW (and 4th Street SW - ish...)

It's called Mint, and it's taking over the location of the former Smoke's Poutinerie
Good! we definitely need more Vietnamese in that area!

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:58 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Balo on 8th Street SW has great Pho. Golden Bell on 17th Ave has good rice vermicelli - but definitely looking forward to another addition in Mission.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Balo on 8th Street SW has great Pho. Golden Bell on 17th Ave has good rice vermicelli - but definitely looking forward to another addition in Mission.
Balo is ok, I prefer Watercress for Pho (outside of Chinatown anyway), plus they have really good spring rolls.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:20 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Balo is ok, I prefer Watercress for Pho (outside of Chinatown anyway), plus they have really good spring rolls.
Haven't been there - but I'll have to check it out. Typically 8th Street kind of acts as my western boundary, so I typically don't make my way that far - hence why I'm excited for 'Mint' to open in Mission.

Last edited by CCF; May 19, 2016 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Metropolitan seems like the likely spot. Never eaten at Phil's, any good? looking forward to a better restaurant in their old space on 14th, That street should start taking off pretty soon I think.
It's a Calgary institution. Better breakfast than the hipster breakfast places at half the price. Decor isn't particularly trendy but the food and service is usually solid.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
It's a Calgary institution. Better breakfast than the hipster breakfast places at half the price. Decor isn't particularly trendy but the food and service is usually solid.
Different strokes, I guess.

I thought MT was being generous in saying Phil's was better than Denny's... Same crap, different pile - Denny's, Humpty's, Phil's, etc. If that's your thing, Phil's will do...

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post

I thought MT was being generous in saying Phil's was better than Denny's... Same crap, different pile - Denny's, Humpty's, Phil's, etc. If that's your thing, Phil's will do...
I don't think I said that - though you can choose the type of hashbrown which is nice.

And on the weekend, you can't beat the Drum and Monkey as long as you are ok getting a standard 2 egg breakfast for $5.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 10:58 PM

Monki is my favourite breakfast place, pretty much impossible to get in there though...

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Monki is my favourite breakfast place, pretty much impossible to get in there though...
Monki is a bit expensive for what it is! $20 with tip should cover breakfast per person in my opinion. Can't argue with quality though. Universe is a good medium, though compared to Galaxy and even the old Phils has no atmosphere.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:15 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Monki is a bit expensive for what it is!
That's how I feel about Red's. It's good - but inexpensive it is not.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
That's how I feel about Red's. It's good - but inexpensive it is not.
I'm baffled by the popularity of Red's. I find it average at best.

Not sure if Phil's owned the land and building, but if they did and they sold it, that might the reason for the move as they would have made a killing.

Almost forgot to mention that I was at Proof on the weekend and the unofficial record for most Pork Steam buns eaten by one person is 12. Which is pretty impressive.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post

I'd disagree - their Zomato ratings are materially better than those other chains. Plus it's a locally owned spot.

Maybe I'm just bitter after a very average $50 breakfast for two at the Beltliner recently, but these trendy breakfast joints are way overpriced for what you get.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I don't think I said that - though you can choose the type of hashbrown which is nice.
You're right and I misread your post. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I'd disagree - their Zomato ratings are materially better than those other chains. Plus it's a locally owned spot.

Maybe I'm just bitter after a very average $50 breakfast for two at the Beltliner recently, but these trendy breakfast joints are way overpriced for what you get.
In my defence, I haven't been to a Denny's or Humpty's in probably 10 years, so they could be, as Zomato indicates, be materially worse, but in my mind, that doesn't make Phil's good. I have had a pregnant wife and a business associate that were both inexplicably enamoured with Phil's (the wife only when she was pregnant though ), so I am reasonably familiar with what they offer. More recently, I make sure that I eat before and just have coffee. YMMV.

That said, breakfast at the Beltliner is ridiculous. I had the unfortunate pleasure of being in on the genesis of the 'Beltliner' when some of the owners started doing the math on the margins of a breakfast place. Or maybe I'm just bitter that they thought of it first, because the place is packed from what I see...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:23 PM

So the Voodoo Lounge on 16th ave and 6th st NW has been undergoing renovations. This morning I rode by and they have the sign up. It's called, uh... Getto Boys. Pretty sure there was no 'h", but it could have benefited with a "z" instead of "s". That is a stellar name. I am sure they will attract a diverse clientele.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:51 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So the Voodoo Lounge on 16th ave and 6th st NW has been undergoing renovations. This morning I rode by and they have the sign up. It's called, uh... Getto Boys. Pretty sure there was no 'h", but it could have benefited with a "z" instead of "s". That is a stellar name. I am sure they will attract a diverse clientele.
Sweet, I look forward to checking it out for the 6 months it's open.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:48 PM

The strange part is their Facebook page looks absolutely nothing like the blocky steal on black font of the street sign.

https://www.facebook.com/gettoboysyyc/

And this logo doesn't really scream "Getto Boys". Perhaps they need to hire a branding company....

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 6:18 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe it is a last name?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 6:33 PM

Damn it feels good to be a restaurateur

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 9:44 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Apparently this old service station in Bowness is being turned into some sort of pub. Anyone have a rendering?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.08670...2!8i6656?hl=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation