HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:02 PM

Ditto to what everybody else said about the Himalayan....unbelievable food and great service.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I had drinks with my band mates at Proof last night. It was probably my fifth time there and my second time eating there. The first "meal" I had there was so underwhelming and left me wondering why they even bother with the food end of things. Last night in addition to the excellently mixed cocktails we had:
oysters ($2 each, very fresh can't complain)
Plate of roasted cauliflower (cheesy and tasty, not exceptional)
Smelt with peas and bacon (good, but smelt will always be bait to me)

PORK BELLY BUN ($3 each) This honestly might be the best deal in town. We ordered 12 of these. You stuff your own bun. Each bun is alloted two huge pieces of pork belly. The accouterments plate comes with a shrimp mayo, kimchi, cilantro and a cucumber pickle. It was honestly exceptional and a steal at $3 for each bun. The menu is always changing so if you want to give this place a shot go for a cocktail and stay for a bun or two!!!
I would have to agree about the pork belly buns, they're off the hook. Next time I'm there I'm going to see if there is a house record for most eaten in a sitting. Then try to break it. Could be the one thing that tops my eating the entire A&W Burger family in one sitting.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I would have to agree about the pork belly buns, they're off the hook. Next time I'm there I'm going to see if there is a house record for most eaten in a sitting. Then try to break it. Could be the one thing that tops my eating the entire A&W Burger family in one sitting.
Lol!! Please never stop posting!

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 2:16 PM
City Maker

Thanks for all the feedback on The Himalayan! I'm definitely going to try and check it out next time I'm in town.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Won't repeat any of the new places about to open along the eastern side of 17th ave, but as far as the west Via Cibo's opening at the old Phil's just south of 17th on 14 st sw. Those few blocks on 14 st have greatly improved.

New micro-creamery/monogram coffee pop up shop collaboration, Nando's, and work going on at the old Firoz place around 10/11st. Lots of upgrades continuing along the strip related to the ongoing residential densification within all the nearby neighbourhoods.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:29 PM

I wonder why Phil's would give up the great parking and exposure at that location for 11th Ave?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:56 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Won't repeat any of the new places about to open along the eastern side of 17th ave, but as far as the west Via Cibo's opening at the old Phil's just south of 17th on 14 st sw. Those few blocks on 14 st have greatly improved.

New micro-creamery/monogram coffee pop up shop collaboration, Nando's, and work going on at the old Firoz place around 10/11st. Lots of upgrades continuing along the strip related to the ongoing residential densification within all the nearby neighbourhoods.
14th really has improved. Cluck and Cleaver, that Japanese place, and now Via Cibo, it is starting a (very slow) improvement. The new building replacing the record shop should help things out, but we lost a bit of character with that old barn going down. In time, we may start to see some more redevelopment. I would say 13 parcels on that road between 17th and 10th are suitable for redevelopment. Cross your fingers.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
14th really has improved. Cluck and Cleaver, that Japanese place, and now Via Cibo, it is starting a (very slow) improvement. The new building replacing the record shop should help things out, but we lost a bit of character with that old barn going down. In time, we may start to see some more redevelopment. I would say 13 parcels on that road between 17th and 10th are suitable for redevelopment. Cross your fingers.
The few blocks closest to 17th ave, north of that 14st still needs a lot of work. Eager to see some more development over there.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
The problem with 14th is that it's a barren, treeless wasteland of a street. I'd say it's the least pleasant street to walk along in Connaught.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:20 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Has anyone been to the Japanese place on 14th? The exterior design, although a very common style for Japanese restaurants, doesn't seem inviting enough for that location. I wonder if they are getting enough business to survive?

Is it Ke Bird Charcoal Grill & Sushi?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03946...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
The problem with 14th is that it's a barren, treeless wasteland of a street. I'd say it's the least pleasant street to walk along in Connaught.
Harder politically to greatly improve the pedestrian realm there as the traffic count is reasonably high between 17th Ave and 10th Ave. 19,000-31,000 vehicles a day. 8th Street maxes out at 15,000 vehicles a day, and there is still a huge fight about removing a lane.

Also, I am very happy about more and better restaurants slowly creeping closer to my condo! My health does not enjoy living close to the fried chicken corridor however.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Harder politically to greatly improve the pedestrian realm there as the traffic count is reasonably high between 17th Ave and 10th Ave. 19,000-31,000 vehicles a day. 8th Street maxes out at 15,000 vehicles a day, and there is still a huge fight about removing a lane.

Also, I am very happy about more and better restaurants slowly creeping closer to my condo! My health does not enjoy living close to the fried chicken corridor however.
Yeah, I don't think removing a lane of traffic would be a good idea, but planting street trees and adding a lane of off-peak parking would go a long way.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Has anyone been to the Japanese place on 14th? The exterior design, although a very common style for Japanese restaurants, doesn't seem inviting enough for that location. I wonder if they are getting enough business to survive?

Is it Ke Bird Charcoal Grill & Sushi?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.03946...7i13312!8i6656
I've been there. Twice. It's very good. The interior design is fantastic and the food was great. A bit of a twist on the typical Japanese menu with a strong emphasis on the grill. Both the grilled beef and fish were excellent, as was everything else. Although it was pretty funny watching the oyster shucker struggle with cracking our oysters. Unfortunately, had bits of shell amongst the ones they served us. Aside from that it was positive. Check it out!

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I wonder why Phil's would give up the great parking and exposure at that location for 11th Ave?
My guess is that being at the base of a very dense apartment will be great pedestrian traffic for them. Otherwise, I know what you mean. Strange decision considering it's mostly older people who go to Phil's (no offence to any Phil's fans! I like it too!) they will be upset at the lack of parking.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:00 PM

Tiny yakitori places smell so great. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt having both sushi and yakitori in one restaurant.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Do we know where on 11th the new location is going to be? I can't find anything on their website that has an actual address.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
Do we know where on 11th the new location is going to be? I can't find anything on their website that has an actual address.
Per MalcolmTucker, they are going into a CRU at the Metropolitan.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Per MalcolmTucker, they are going into a CRU at the Metropolitan.
I was told "into the new building near co-op". So, If you were to use new generously, could also be the old Co-Op Liquor Store.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I was told "into the new building near co-op". So, If you were to use new generously, could also be the old Co-Op Liquor Store.
Metropolitan seems like the likely spot. Never eaten at Phil's, any good? looking forward to a better restaurant in their old space on 14th, That street should start taking off pretty soon I think.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Metropolitan seems like the likely spot. Never eaten at Phil's, any good? looking forward to a better restaurant in their old space on 14th, That street should start taking off pretty soon I think.
Nothing special. Sorta like Denny's? But the price is right, and it is every day of the week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation