HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
huh. i have family in tampa that i went to visit last nov, and they mentioned brady has a house on davis island, not far from where they live.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs...eters-mansion/
I think he's only renting in Tampa. He and Giselle, like many other uber-rich people, are flocking to Miami and Palm Beach right now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-...-house-2020-12

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 10:14 PM

Apologies for the bump! But the first phase is officially completed.

The retail spots do seem a bit trendy and what you would typically expect from a development of this proportion, but it is miles better than what was here before:

https://waterstreettampa.com/

A streetcar already runs through this neighborhood, however it'll be modernized and extended:
https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/ft...ofile-FY22.pdf

Although this is a step in the right direction, the Selmon Expressway is a major disconnection throughout downtown, and there's still a lack of quality developments. Tampa and most of Florida has horrible parking minimums and a lack of accessible transit, coupled with a affordability crisis fueled by migration. The Live Local Act will hopefully alleviate some housing troubles, but there's still work to be done.

Last edited by Altoic; Jul 2, 2023 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 12:03 AM

this is like tampa's barcode district. i need to make a trip over next time i'm down

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 2:23 PM

I was recently in Tampa and was able to see the changes made with the Water Street development. It is a fantastic addition to Tampa and totally changes the pedestrian experience. If they continue to build upon this (and it seems like they will), Tampa will have a totally different feel.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 4:12 PM

I did a quick streetview around that area, and even if it's no La Rambla, it's pretty good. The scale of the buildings and how they meet the street is better than downtown Tampa, that's for sure.

Are there plans to build more developments like this around Tampa's waterfront?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2023, 4:16 PM

Its too bad the Selman expressway cuts off the channelside districts from the rest of Downtown. Such an unnecessary freeway too. It runs parallel to another freeway a few blocks north.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 6:08 PM

It looks a lot like the Brickell district in Miami.
Nicely done!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I did a quick streetview around that area, and even if it's no La Rambla, it's pretty good. The scale of the buildings and how they meet the street is better than downtown Tampa, that's for sure.

Are there plans to build more developments like this around Tampa's waterfront?
There are a few developments near the waterfront that are popping up. Gas Worx which broke ground a few months ago is near the Port of Tampa and will reconstruct portions of Ybor City that were previously dirt lots/industrial development. Currently U/C are a few low-rise apartment buildings on the previous land of the Tampa Park Apartments.

Video Link

There is also the Ybor Harbor development which is attempting to take waterfront land around the Port of Tampa and create a Mixed-Use neighborhood with the potential idea of a new Rays Stadium being located there. I haven't heard much on this..

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:53 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
This.

I’d be shocked if LA or even SF could replicate central Barcelona, let alone Tampa.
Nope. SF doesnt need to replicate Barcelona.

SF has it's own style of vibrancy and urbanism that is unique and distinct. In fact, SFs residential Victorian and Edwardian architecture is actually just as iconic if not MORE SO than Barcelona's lovely Gaudi architecture. There's no mistaking SF in pics.

There is a strange Euro-worship among certain North Americans, and I have always found that cute because over there, shopping malls and cars are the norm these days.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 3:41 PM
Never Dell

While Gaudi is a thing in Barcelona, including Las Ramblas, the city is more known for its standard eight-sided blocks of nondescript eight-story buildings.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:37 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
I was recently in Tampa and was able to see the changes made with the Water Street development. It is a fantastic addition to Tampa and totally changes the pedestrian experience. If they continue to build upon this (and it seems like they will), Tampa will have a totally different feel.
The first phase definitely looks good especially compared to the before.

A few years ago a mutual friend of my best friend lived in Tampa. When my best friend went to visit he was impressed with the art scene. They went on some impressive art crawl and to The Dalí museum and he came back with a favorable impression of the area overall, despite the sprawl of the Metro.

If Tampa can expand the streetcar, implement a Metro light rail system and build on its strengths and get more people living in the core it can be a really nice city/region.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
While Gaudi is a thing in Barcelona, including Las Ramblas, the city is more known for its standard eight-sided blocks of nondescript eight-story buildings.
I don't know that I would say nondescript, necessarily. Most of the Eixample district that I believe you're referring to has pretty thoughtful architecture:

https://goo.gl/maps/MFMmV8a7HwrUUjJE9.

Though some blocks are more unique than others.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:18 PM

The streetcar looks nice but it is a series of loops that go nowhere, and the bus service is very limited also, few buses to feed into that rail or any future rail system. Tampa has one of the worst transit ridership of all metropolitan areas over 1 million and a few miles of light rail is not going to change that. And getting people onto transit will be key to replacing more parking lots for new developments such as this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 8:46 PM

I'm very impressed! This large new development area reminds me a bit of Boston's Seaport and San Francisco's Mission Bay- two new urban neighborhoods that have essentially been created from scratch in the last ~decade. And I think it compares favorably to both-- especially Mission Bay, which is needlessly short, imo. Good for Tampa!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:05 AM

I went to visit my brother in South Tampa last week, and on the way home I drove through DT Tampa. Wow!! The change that has taken place there is truly amazing. It was a Friday night around 7 pm, and the place was teeming with people. The area is truly coming into its own. Most of the highrises near Channelside have bars, restaurants and shops on the ground floor, so it makes for a very lively pedestrian experience.
The area in the pictures shared here meet up with the end of the Riverwalk, so it's really developing into quite a large district.
The first time I experienced DT Tampa was about 10 years ago, and the place was a ghost town. Glad to see that's changing!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
St Pete has the best Florida gulf coast downtown area, hands down — and it knows it. St Pete is a city that keeps building upon its successes (most recently, the magnificent St Pete Pier redevelopment).
For being the “second city” in the Tampa Bay metro area, St. Pete has absolutely eclipsed Tampa in urbanity and regional significance.
100% St. Pete is truly a gem of Florida. My favorite city in this state by far.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions