HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

ARO in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If the Nordstrom tower was anywhere near this quality, we'd all be doing backflips.
That tower deserves to have at least this quality. If you must have balconies, this is the way to do it...

Quote:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:39 PM

I like this one! Something different for the midtown.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:05 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/01/...se-59-stories/

Cetra/Ruddy-designed Midtown tower to rise 59 stories
Project slated for site of the soon-to-be-shuttered Roseland Ballroom: report

January 16, 2014
Mark Maurer

Quote:
Soho-based architecture firm Cetra/Ruddy is designing a 59-story mixed-use Midtown West tower with 426 luxury apartments believed to be replacing the outgoing Roseland Ballroom, according to a report on the blog BuzzBuzzHome.

The 468,300-square-foot building will hold units ranging from studios to two-bedrooms. The exception is one four-bedroom penthouse unit with views of Central Park. It is unknown whether the units will be rentals or condominiums. There will be a three-story base with retail, resting just below a 30,000-square-foot amenities space over two stories, which includes a pool and rooftop veranda.

Roseland, the historic music venue, is shutting down in March. The building rising at the site, at 239 West 52nd Street, is being developed by Algin Management, as previously reported.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 12:09 PM

This tower is ahhhh-mazing.

I feel like it's too good to be true.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:29 PM
World Machine

A residential tower done right - what a spectacular design! I was not expecting something like this.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 3:35 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/03/15/final-b...land-ballroom/

Final bow for NYC’s historic Roseland Ballroom

By Hardeep Phull
March 15, 2014

Quote:
The punks mourned the closure of CBGB in 2006, the indie-rockers cried foul when Northsix became Music Hall of Williamsburg in 2007, but almost all of New York’s music lovers will be sad to see Roseland Ballroom close its doors. The historic venue will shutter in April with a run of seven shows by Lady Gaga, bringing almost a century of history to an end.

Initially, Roseland was located at 51st Street and Broadway when it opened in 1919. During that period, the 3,200-capacity room was a hot spot for jazz and big-band music. The likes of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra headlined there multiple times, and ballroom dancing was also a big draw.

Roseland moved to its current 52nd Street location in 1956 and, at first, maintained its reputation for ballroom dancing — as well as being used for ice-skating and operating as a roller rink. But in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Roseland caught up with the times and started to host disco club nights and shows by modern rock, pop, dance and hip-hop acts (everyone from Red Hot Chili Peppers to the Rolling Stones to, last week, Lorde).

The sadness around Roseland Ballroom’s demise — five years short of its centennial, no less — is compounded by confusion. Owner Larry Ginsberg hasn’t made a public statement about what will happen to the site. Meanwhile, music-industry rumors vary from the building being demolished to make way for condos to an all-new Roseland opening in the future.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:21 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2014/03/29/gaga-sh...eland-funeral/

Lady Gaga shows off NY pride in Roseland ‘funeral’

By Hardeep Phull
March 29, 2014

Quote:
Say what you want about Lady Gaga (and we all have at some point), but her hometown pride has always been locked in place throughout her ups and downs.

On Friday night at Roseland Ballroom, that was underlined once again as the born-and-bred New Yorker paid tribute to the closing venue, the city and, of course, herself during the first night of a seven-date farewell.

“Who has a 10-day funeral? Only Roseland,” she declared early on and it was a statement spoken like a true New Yorker.

After almost 100 years, it’s only right that the venue be given an honorable — and fabulous — discharge. So it was fitting to see Gaga begin the night with a solo rendition of “Born This Way,” adapted to include a declaration of love to the weathered West 52nd Street building.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:12 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The Real Deal:

Developer snags Majestic, Broadhurst Theaters’ air rights
$17.5M deal works out to $300 a square foot -- much less than one industry expert expected

May 28, 2014 03:15PM
By Rich Bockmann

Majestic Theater (Credit: Shubert Organization)

Quote:
The developer of the Roseland Ballroom site paid a pair of Broadway theaters $17.5 million earlier this month for about 60,000 square feet of air rights, property records show. That works out to $300 per square foot — half the price one expert reportedly thinks the market should fetch.

Algin Management, which already has plans to build a 59-story apartment tower on the site of the defunct 52nd Street music venue, purchased a total of 58,392 square feet of excess development rights from two theaters owned by the Shubert Organization, property records recorded last week show.

Algin bought 57,210 square feet from the Majestic Theater on West 44th Street between Eighth and Seventh Avenues for $17,163,000 and picked up another 1,182 square feet from the Broadhurst Theater next door for $354,600, records show.

Both deals closed May 7 and worked out to an even $300 a square foot.
The Shubert Organization declined to comment on the transaction, which fell well below the expectations of one expert who predicted the valuable development rights would fetch prices in the $600 range.

City Center Real Estate President Robert Shapiro told Capital NY earlier this month he thought theaters could sell their excess development rights for about $600 a foot.

[...]

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

242 W. 52nd St (Roseland) | 675 FT | 62 FLOORS
------------------------------------
Permits Filed: 242 West 53rd Street

Quote:
The first permits are up for the Roseland Ballroom redevelopment; the venue had its final show in April, and it will soon be replaced by a 62-story tower. CetraRuddy is the design architect, and renderings surfaced earlier this year; the site’s developer is Algin Management.

Rising 675 feet to its roof, 242 West 53rd Street will also become one of the tallest residential towers in Midtown West; any additional ornament could push the total height to approximately 700′, which approaches ‘significant’ for Manhattan. While the tower would be iconic in most major cities, the extreme density of Midtown will block views from northern, eastern, and southern perspectives.

Still, the skyscraper will be visible from New Jersey, and residences will have expansive panoramas of both the Hudson River and the Midtown skyline; the highest units will also have slivers of Central Park within their sights. The Schedule A indicates the project will have an open rooftop space, complementing an extensive amenity package in the lower levels; given the overall scope, rentals would appear likely.

Aesthetically, 242 West 53rd Street is impressive, presenting an undulating exercise in contemporary design; CetraRuddy’s creation will add to both the skyline and the streetscape, enhancing the surrounding neighborhood with its retail base. Its twists and turns add a sense of humanity to the design, and its dynamism will contrast nicely against nearby monoliths.

No completion date has been formally announced, but a 2017 opening would seem likely now that construction is imminent.
======================================
JUNE 10TH 2014
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/06/per...-street.html/1

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:45 PM

As per Yimby
Quote:
Developers have filed permits in “support of excavation” for a 62-story and 426-unit skyscraper at 242 West 53rd Street, in the Theater District; activity is likely imminent.
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/07/dob...-and-more.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:58 PM

Don't they have to demolish the building first? The ballroom is still there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:19 PM

Does anyone think there will be another music venue incorporated into the building in some way?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

IDK why the titles haven't been changed for the various projects posted in the request thread with height information with credible sources backing it up.

Its been like 4 days.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:00 PM
BANNED

^which threads haven't been updated? I would like to see the 432 thread title updated as well.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
^which threads haven't been updated? I would like to see the 432 thread title updated as well.
Just couple for Philly, Miami, and NYC. They are listed in the sticky thread. It was really just height and floor data as some of those projects gained height, or the height/floors wasn't exactly precise, but they are changed now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:05 AM

Anything new on this beauty?

One of the most beautiful proposals among many, and I just hope it comes to reality soon.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:08 AM
BANNED

I walked by last week and observed that demo activity has not commenced.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 1:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some different renderings from the architects:

Credit: cetraruddy

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 3:03 PM

I love this. It's like a slice of Miami in West Midtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 4:26 PM

One of my favorite NYC proposals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I love this. It's like a slice of Miami in West Midtown.
Me too. It would be a gorgeous addition to the west Midtown skyline. Does anyone have any ideas as to what material(s) would comprise the white, non-glazed part of the exterior? It would be really cool if they use enameled aluminum panels or some other high-tech cladding. The renders show a relatively seamless exterior. How could they pull that off in reality?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive