HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docjalby View Post
I just understood what Blackcat23 was saying. This is an artists rendering of what the inner courtyard would look like if you cut out the Hill side of the building. I think it would have been a sweet idea if they did just cut out some of the building though.
I think its more than that.........see the palm trees planted and the walkway that leads into the complex. A portion of the front of the bldg has been cutaway.

My objections: should we allow historic bldgs to be cut up that way whenever it suits the developer? And wasn't the fact that the Bloc doesn't meet the street continuously........that it indents like the Broadway bldg would do in the rendering........considered a big negative by posters on this forum?

EDIT: seeing comments after Docjalby's, this whole discussion looks to be moot......that's its a bad rendering and not the intentions of the developer. My apologies.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
I think its more than that.........see the palm trees planted and the walkway that leads into the complex. A portion of the front of the bldg has been cutaway.

My objections: should we allow historic bldgs to be cut up that way whenever it suits the developer? And wasn't the fact that the Bloc doesn't meet the street continuously........that it indents like the Broadway bldg would do in the rendering........considered a big negative by posters on this forum?

EDIT: seeing comments after Docjalby's, this whole discussion looks to be moot......that's its a bad rendering and not the intentions of the developer. My apologies.
I see that you realized it is just a cutaway, but that I think what looks like a pathway is really an entrance into the central courtyard from the street, like a "tunnel" through the building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Was wondering if there has been an update as to when Grand Ave. will get a real facelift--unified landscaping, traffic diet, etc. There were some nice sketches on Related's earlier site maps, but as it is, each new project seems to be adding their own improvements (as The Broad is doing now) that aren't part of a coordinated, cohesive look to make it into the truly "grand" avenue that was previously envisioned. (Perhaps the city is waiting until Related gets their project finished?)

I'm not saying it needs to look like The Strip in Vegas (although their landscaping is spectacular), but the streetscape really needs to match and complement the cultural institutions that are already there, rather than looking like the nondescript, auto-centric thoroughfare it is now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Was wondering if there has been an update as to when Grand Ave. will get a real facelift--unified landscaping, traffic diet, etc. There were some nice sketches on Related's earlier site maps, but as it is, each new project seems to be adding their own improvements (as The Broad is doing now) that aren't part of a coordinated, cohesive look to make it into the truly "grand" avenue that was previously envisioned. (Perhaps the city is waiting until Related gets their project finished?)

I'm not saying it needs to look like The Strip in Vegas (although their landscaping is spectacular), but the streetscape really needs to match and complement the cultural institutions that are already there, rather than looking like the nondescript, auto-centric thoroughfare it is now.
i agree and hopefully soon. there is a new awareness in DT for redoing our streets with Fig, 7th and Broadway getting improvements so hopefully Grand is next

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i agree and hopefully soon. there is a new awareness in DT for redoing our streets with Fig, 7th and Broadway getting improvements so hopefully Grand is next
Sadly Grand is kind of a mess on the pedestrian front - from how wide it is to the lack of street interaction. Even the MOCA is nearly invisible from the street. It needs a lot more than landscaping to turn it into Unter den Linden or the Champs Elysee, at least from 5th up to 2nd.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:03 AM
I ♥ DTLA

New Renderings of $1 Billion Metropolis Project in Downtown LA

More Metropolis renderings released:

http://brighamyen.com/2015/04/01/new...n-downtown-la/

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:13 AM

Love the new Metropolis renderings! This design looks so much cleaner now, but out of curiosity, why does the design for phase 2 change each time a new rendering is released? Have they not finalized the design yet?

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post

Old:

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post

Is this some type of April's fool joke

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:10 PM

Delete

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA and on Facebook

Last edited by blackcat23; Yesterday at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Not bad. I like the new design. I've never seen a continuous change of design in a project that is already under construction. Lets see if this is the last redesign. As long as they don't start shaving floors off i'm happy...

Am I the only one that feels that with every redesign, they are making these buildings look more and more like office towers? don't get me wrong. I like the new look.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:36 PM

Yeah, they're not bad although I liked the earlier ones better. A little busier perhaps, but they had more visual interest. I agree with Caligrad, these look more officey. They're a lot less distinctive now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:18 PM

Yeah me too Brudy. I actually think I'm the lone person to enjoy the façade/skin of the first Greenland renderings with the layout of the second renderings. I like this third try but they watered it down so much that people driving past may feel its an office plaza since its blends in like one with that plain sheets of glass.

BUT those interior shots are AMAZING. If I by change win the lottery I for sure will be buying one HAHA.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Yeah me too Brudy. I actually think I'm the lone person to enjoy the façade/skin of the first Greenland renderings with the layout of the second renderings. I like this third try but they watered it down so much that people driving past may feel its an office plaza since its blends in like one with that plain sheets of glass.

BUT those interior shots are AMAZING. If I by change win the lottery I for sure will be buying one HAHA.
Yeah, you and me both on buying one! And I liked the original renderings as well. The latest are the least interesting, IMO.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM
#GoDodgers

I prefer the newer design. It looks way more elegant and refined, as the towers no longer have what StethJeff described as "stapled bookshelves" attached to their facades.

To each their own.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

what happened to edluva? he finally got banned??

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations