HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 2:36 PM
The City

Development of Schaumburg’s former Motorola campus

Great read. A lot going on here, with a shift in mindset towards density, mixed uses. I recommend reading the whole article but I included an excerpt:

Quote:
Burk said the village’s planning process leading to this decision was consistent with what UrbanStreet Group and its partner in the redevelopment, Trilogy Investments, envisioned for the site: a need for density, diversity of uses and walkability. Burk sees the village’s decision as validation. “We purchased the site without zoning based on the belief Schaumburg would be on board,” Burk said of the 14-month process. UrbanStreet Group This aerial rendering shows the boundaries of UrbanStreet Group's planned redevelopment of the former Motorola Solutions campus in Schaumburg.

Burk envisions the campus with heavy multifamily and office density, along with complementary uses like entertainment and hospitality.

Last month, UrbanStreet Group and Trilogy secured $30.1M in financing from Pangea Mortgage Capital and T2 Capital Management. Burk said that money is earmarked toward demolishing most of the manufacturing buildings on the site, and redeveloping a 350K SF vacant office building into smaller floor plate, open office space. UrbanStreet Group expects to break ground on a 260-unit loft-style apartment building this summer, and expects other parcels of the site to go under contract over the next six months.

This is a major pendulum shift. Burk said the suburbs were originally formulated to segregate uses. In the post-World War II economic boom, veterans fled urban environments in waves to start families and careers, and suburban real estate development in the 1950s and '60s was dominated by mass-produced housing, shopping malls and sprawling low- to mid-rise office campuses. Today, demand from millennials reinvented downtown business districts into 24/7 live-work-play areas, often at the expense of the suburbs.

Chicago is lagging other major markets in suburban development activity. The majority of the 2.4M SF in new office inventory coming to Chicago this year is held in three downtown buildings: 151 North Franklin, 625 West Adams and McDonald’s new West Loop headquarters. That bucks a national trend of new office construction shifting from urban cores to the suburbs. Schaumburg’s decision to allow more density on the Motorola Solutions site allows UrbanStreet Group to create amenities that are attractive to support the worker base.
Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...medium=Browser

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:13 AM
Plenary pleasures.

So this may be happening sooner than I had anticipated: drove past this earlier today while at the mall and all of the mature trees have been removed, and there is construction fencing around the site perimeter. I'm not 100% certain about ALL of the trees as I just barely glanced over as I drove around that corner of the mall, and while the five story office building was still intact, the site did appear to have been cleared off..

Edit: better image of the tower:

https://www.neighborhoods.com/blog/l...llest-building

Last edited by sentinel; Apr 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:01 AM

South and Harlem - Oak Park

March 22

April 6

April 11

April 17

April 19

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:02 PM

District House - Oak Park

April 22

April 24

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:32 PM

South and Harlem

May 9

May 14

First half done. The newly completed Emerson on the Right

May 15

Elevator shaft for the other side.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:01 PM
Development Shill

A few more high rises in the downtown area and Oakpark might feel pretty urban. Fun to watch

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:53 PM
The City

Oak Park already feels pretty urban, at least for a suburb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:07 PM
Development Shill

That's what I mean though. You won't need to even add the caveat "for a suburb" soon

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:03 AM

Oak Park - Albion -Demo

May 10

May 16

May 19

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:14 AM

Oak Park and Evanston are really extensions of the City in terms of urban metrics. No place in the entire Southwest Side of Chicago is equivalent.

Maybe suburban developments should be in the General thread (or a Suburban General thread) but suburban high rises should go to the High rise thread. The West Loop seems to get a pass...

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 4:29 PM

That last set by HarryC is really a preview of the new Michael Bay Transformers movie. "Transformers Attack Oak Park."

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Oak Park and Evanston are really extensions of the City in terms of urban metrics. No place in the entire Southwest Side of Chicago is equivalent.

Maybe suburban developments should be in the General thread (or a Suburban General thread) but suburban high rises should go to the High rise thread. The West Loop seems to get a pass...
I would add Cicero into that extension of the city thought. It may not create a periphery urban cluster, but its population density is greater than Chicago itself, while having a respectable population over 80k. its like a Chicago neighborhood that never got incorporated.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 10:58 PM
1st Ward

^ Don't forget about Berwyn! It has a pop density greater than Cicero, Oak Park, Evanston, or Chicago. It has a decent sized "downtown" around the Berwyn station (total of 3 metra stops in town) as well as a gorgeous, nearly intact prewar commercial district along Cermak Rd.

And last, but not least...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02..._1024x1024.png

"BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN!"

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; May 22, 2018 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Don't forget about Berwyn! It has a pop density greater than Cicero, Oak Park, Evanston, or Chicago. It has a decent sized "downtown" around the Berwyn station (total of 3 metra stops in town) as well as a gorgeous, nearly intact prewar commercial district along Cermak Rd.

And last, but not least...

"BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERWYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYN!"

It's been all downhill since they lost the spike.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:14 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
It's been all downhill since they lost the spike.
I was really hoping someone would have stepped forward to transport it to another location. They were giving it away for free FFS!

Honestly though, Berwyn really screwed up there. The spike was a popular and recognizable icon for the city. They couldn't have built the damn Walgreens 100 feet to the west of it?

The rest of the public art at Cermak Plaza I didn't care much for, however. The giant America made up of garbage always made me chuckle though.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 11:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Thumbs up. Berwyn's awesome.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:00 PM

Developer slashes planned building height
https://evanstonnow.com/story/real-e...uilding-height
Quote:
The owners of The Merion retirement community have slashed the height of their proposed new residential development on the adjoining property at 1621-1631 Chicago Ave. from 25 to 13 stories.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
i wish the area around the Metra was better, but honestly its been struggling for a long time. theres really not much there. there was a period where it seemed like it might take off as a vintage/antiques district (similar to what Madison in Forest Park has successfully done), but unfortunately a lot of those places have folded. i get the sense the commercial vacancies are pretty high around there. just dosent get good foot traffic despite the train stations.

Cermak has a lot of potential, but its such an auto sewer in its current state. i wish theyd do a road diet, put in bike lanes, etc. The storefronts are great and is probably Berwyns best shot at creating something similar to Madison or Lake, but its got a long way to go. still far too many strip malls/drive throughs, but also some really beautiful prewar mixed with scattered cool midcentury stuff

the real trump card there is the housing stock. i sure do wonder what would have been had the Douglas BLue Line branch never been retired though

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i wish the area around the Metra was better, but honestly its been struggling for a long time. theres really not much there. there was a period where it seemed like it might take off as a vintage/antiques district (similar to what Madison in Forest Park has successfully done), but unfortunately a lot of those places have folded. i get the sense the commercial vacancies are pretty high around there. just dosent get good foot traffic despite the train stations.

Cermak has a lot of potential, but its such an auto sewer in its current state. i wish theyd do a road diet, put in bike lanes, etc. The storefronts are great and is probably Berwyns best shot at creating something similar to Madison or Lake, but its got a long way to go. still far too many strip malls/drive throughs, but also some really beautiful prewar mixed with scattered cool midcentury stuff

the real trump card there is the housing stock. i sure do wonder what would have been had the Douglas BLue Line branch never been retired though
I feel like there is huge potential for light rail in these moderate density parts of Chicago just beyond the reach of the heavy rapid transit. The ROW is still there for the old tracks following Cermak, the right of way from the end of the Blue Line West is mostly there. You have giant arterial streets like Cicero, North Ave, Western, etc. The ideal situation would be LRT down the middle of the street essentially replicating the old street car service these areas were built around.

A dream of mine is a recreation of the old feeder street car lines in LRT form in the outlying moderate density parts of the city, particularly useful in the huge transit deadzones like the far NW side or Berwyn or the areas down by Midway or connecting the Orange and Pink Lines together on Cicero or along Ogden.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:51 PM

Downtown Des Plaines

A few months back this development was rejected.
I was surprised to read this article.
Good to see more density in the downtown area.

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...tment-complex/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development