HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:48 AM
Duke of Spook

And now, ladies and gents, the second installment of our award-winning documentary Praesidium! Haha, this one ought to please you guys. I added a few more blocks to the city, and took many new and different camera angles. No roads or sidewalks yet, but they're coming (along with an airport!) Hope you like it!

Here we have a new aerial view of the city, specifically GigaCore Tower (Praesidium's tallest at 1415') and LandGraab Penthouses, the circular building next to it. GigaCore is a technology research and development leader, as well as an international retailer of technology-based services and equipment. They operate the most well-funded Research and Development Department of any Fortune 500 company and also are the largest employer in the state of Montana.

Another angle of the above buildings.

Classic skyline shot. Note the river and the two new complexes on the other side of it.

Bird's eye view of downtown Praesidium. Downtown lies on a peninsula surrounded by the Galveston River. The river widens further downsteam, and narrows further upstream.

Here we have Praesidium City Hall ("The Diamond" as it is affectionately known as by locals). At 1004', it is the tallest City Hall in the world, edging out Tokyo and Philadelphia. In addition to being the city's municipal government seat, it also houses Praesidium Federal Courthouse and the city's police heaquarters. Built in 1987 to finally replace the smoldering ruin of Praesidium's original City Hall (1877 - 1973) which was destroyed in the chaos of the Wilson Riots.

A tourist's view of the Galveston Memorial. Oceanic Airlines World Headquarters is on the right.

Portrayed on the popular TV series Lost, Widmore Industries is a real estate and industrial conglomerate based in the United Kingdom. Their U.S. Headquarters, however, are located in downtown Praesidium, across the street from the Galveston Memorial.

This shot displays many of Praesidium's famous buildings, includng GigaCore Tower, LandGraab Penthouses, StauntonLife West, and the art-deco Treasure State Building (octagonically-shaped tower center-right). Started in 1929 shortly before the Great Depression, the Treasure State Building has a history unlike any other building. Work halted when the Depresion reached new depths, though work resumed four years later in 1933. The Treasure State Building, or TSB for short, has been the backdrop of four Hollywood classics, such as Citizen Mange (1947), Yawn with the Wind (1949), and The Sodfather (1972). Its unusual appearance and freemasonry architecture led to the belief that a secret Freemason temple existed somewhere in the TSB. Theorists point to the fact that floors 7 and 9 do not exist on the elevator numbering nor the contractor codes, and are rumored to be accessible only by Lodge and Grand Masters. Also, the crown of the building resembles the mason, the symbol of Freemasonry, when viewed from certain angles.

Alright guys, that does it for now. Still to come: Cannerytown, Glendale, Praesidium International Airport (PAX), and stadiums!

Last edited by Dear Leader VI; Mar 8, 2007 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:52 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow! So big already! Amazing job there, keep up the good work!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:23 AM
Desert Dweller

Very Nice, Praesidium has really became one of my favorites around here. I love how you put so much effort and crativity in your city, from Descriptions to the City itself. Its very unique. Also your stories are great, please make one for the Praesidium Stock and Board Exchange

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:31 AM
Duke of Spook

Thank you, foxmbtr and Patrick! The history of the PSBE building will be included in the next update - as will the campus of Praesidium University (just have to tweak it a bit).

Thanks again guys!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:38 PM
World Machine

Wonderful job!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 9:25 PM
Information Age

Many nice textures... wow.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 10:29 PM
Duke of Spook

^ Thanks for the compliments! Update tomorrow - Praesidium University! PLUS - PSBE Tower background!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:33 AM
Desert Dweller

Must see More.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:09 AM
Duke of Spook

Well you are in luck Patrick!

This is a bit of a teaser, a full update will come later this week (Saturday/Sunday).

You are looking at the GigaCore Arena, home of the Praesidium Pumblers! Notice the new buildings and the (gasp!) roads in the picture! Praesidium's new tallest is the blue/black building immediately behind the stadium.

The NEW Praesidium, with roads, bridges, a stadium, the CyberSoft Pacific HQ (Two unidentical twin towers towards the middle), a new Waterfront District, and roads! Woooyeah! Oh - and you can clearly see Praesidium's new tallest building - at 1796' and 130 stories: the William Jennings Bryan Tower, or WJB for short!

Happy SSP-ing!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:20 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Holy smokes, I never thought there would be another tallest! The WJB tower is magnificent, the design is so sharp and clean-cut, and the colors go together perfectly! And that is a beautiful arena, although, I'm not sure, but it seems a bit large in proportion to the other buildings (but I may be wrong). This city is coming along wonderously!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:25 AM
Desert Dweller

Woah, On Shap.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 5:01 AM

daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 12:58 AM
Duke of Spook

Update this weekend hopefully. Wait 'til you see the NEW Praesidium.

To be shown:

New city layou
New grid system
New landscape
New bridges
New city sections
New parks

Can't wait!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:08 AM

bout time

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 8:14 PM
Duke of Spook

Here are five teaser shots to hold you folks over while I prepare for a HUGE update! Thanks for being patient, I have been absolutely swamped with all kinds of things!

Here we have the NEW Praesidium skyline as viewed from the east. I completely changed the city's layout, invoking more of a grid system. Downtown Praesidium is still on a paeninsula, but it now stretches northeast across the river. Also, on the far left you'll notice a group of new buildings. Those buildings are on the edge of two new districts, Old City and Garvey Plaza. Garvey Square is a Times Square-like district of billboards and neon lights surrounding a beautiful square with the world-renowned Garvey Fountains.

Here is a close-up on Garvey Square. Notice the billboards and the large, glass structure that visually terminates the street. That's Garvey Fountains.

Garvey Square is world-renowned as one of the television and internet capitals of the United States. Studios and networks own several of the buildings in this area. A Praesidium tradition that has dated back several decades is that of humerous, false billboards displayed at Garvey Square. Local comedy clubs purchase ad space and mock or satirize individuals, products, and companies. These not only attract thousands of tourists each month but also serve as gentle reminder that Praesidium is famous as the "Comedy Capital of Greater Earth," in the words of famed local comic group "In All Seriousness." Raw talent and aspiring comics come here to be discovered and to get a foot in the door of show business.

Here's a shot of downtown from the south during one of Praesidium's trademark foggy, misty spring days.

Praesidium from the Northeast. Notice that in all of these pictures, GigaCore Tower still reigns supreme in terms of height. These pictures were taken in May 1999, shortly before construction on the William Jennings Bryan Tower began.

Here is a look at Praesidium's original Downtown across the Galveston River, known today simply as the Waterfront. This section contains many art-deco jewels as well as slim and sleek new condominium towers. Part of CyberSoft West's corporate HQ is in the foreground.

Much, much more to come! Street-level shots! West Praesidium! GigaCore Arena! Garvey Square's famous billboards and Fountains! And a bird's eye view of the new Praesidium grid.

Plus some old favorites, like the Galviston Memorial and Landgraab Apartments!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:05 PM

wow like the slanted glass
any more pics of Garvey square

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:11 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow, it's growing so fast! Do you think you could get some shots with the edges turned off and shadows turned on? That would look amazing! (Of course, it already does though. )

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:11 PM

i like the new skyline

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:26 PM
Duke of Spook

@ Tanster: Absolutely they're coming. Wait 'til you see some of the billboards.

@ foxmtbr: I will try that for the next update, although the shadows will take forever to load. I'll try it anyway.

@Derek loves SD: Thanks! It's much wider and New York-ish than the last one.

I may be able to post some more pictures by tonight (with the edges turned off and shadows on)

Thanks for any feedback, and don't hesitate to provide constructive criticism!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
Desert Dweller

Ooh Me likey! I'd love to see more of Garvey Square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup