HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 5:24 PM

Well it just goes to show. As many times as I've looked at the renderings I never put it together that the 'secondary' window treatment over the entrance mimics the alternating frustums of the tower. Very cool.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Well it just goes to show. As many times as I've looked at the renderings I never put it together that the 'secondary' window treatment over the entrance mimics the alternating frustums of the tower. Very cool.
Me either. Always thought that part of the building was odd in combination with the rest. Glad to see it now. Good catch.

I'm definitely gonna have dinner there someday.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
hah, would ya look at that. never thought of it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 8:49 PM

do we have an estimate as to when it will be completely clad?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^GEMS 2 is on hold indefinitely due to non-payment. Many unpaid parties on that project, unfortunately.
Hmmm... Well, If all fails, they now have the shell for the public school the was always apart of the LSE plan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 9:12 PM

Anybody have any intel on who bought the ~$20M penthouse here? It'll be fun when all of those units close and if we can see who was buying them. I assume there's a number of foreign entities who've bought in this building which will be hard to trace back to a real person.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Hmmm... Well, If all fails, they now have the shell for the public school the was always apart of the LSE plan
if only

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Anybody have any intel on who bought the ~$20M penthouse here? It'll be fun when all of those units close and if we can see who was buying them. I assume there's a number of foreign entities who've bought in this building which will be hard to trace back to a real person.
i vaguely remember Magellan confirming the penthouse investor is foreign and saying they won't be telling us any nationalities yet

Last edited by cozy; Nov 24, 2019 at 1:04 AM. Reason: "penthouse" investor

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
edit/drunkenness

Last edited by bhawk66; Nov 24, 2019 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 4:11 PM

furniture coming in? or does mayflower move anything

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:47 PM

Some may be annoyed because it has been asked a few times already I'm sure. But...why does this building require that blow thru floor when many other skyscrapers and supertalls don't have them?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:49 PM

Do I see the framing removed from the top 7 floors of the south side construction elevator?

Looks like we might be getting more glass soon.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodeckerdude View Post
Some may be annoyed because it has been asked a few times already I'm sure. But...why does this building require that blow thru floor when many other skyscrapers and supertalls don't have them?
My non-technical assumption is that it has to do with the slenderness of the top frustum. You'll see a similar approach taken at 432 Park Avenue, but in that case, the blow-through floors are at regular intervals, so it looks planned and better integrated into the design.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:59 PM

Great last pic! It is such a beauty, but looks unfinished with blow through. Hoping it will grow on me like the Tesla Truck

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodeckerdude View Post
Seeing as these will be some of the most expensive condo's in Chicago it seems the developers are doing everything they can to maximize the comfort for the buyers (i.e. multiple slosh tanks and blow-through floor).

Personally, I like it. It is the first of its kind for Chicago and I think will look attractive once complete.

There is always the highly unlikely scenario the engineers realized something before it was too late and added it out of necessity like New York's Citicorp building. If this was the case I highly doubt it was as dramatic as the Citicorp situation but you never know.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2015/...ilure-averted/

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:19 AM

My understanding is that it goes something like this:
  • Originally, the narrow parts of each frustrum were going to be even narrower (going from 90ish feet at the widest point down to 70ish feet at the narrowest)
  • These got widened so there were fewer difference in floorplans on the wide vs. narrow floors (now more like 90ish vs. 80ish). This brought more usable square footage and also reduced costs (less need to jog plumbinb back and forth, etc.)
  • That extra width, combined with the buildings narrow profile + the fact that the middle frustrum isn't directly anchored to the ground (there's a roadway underneath), meant that sway was higher than they wanted during wind tunnel testing
  • Therefore, the blow through floor was added to reduce the sway. I think this was after construction was already started, so it was too late to change the design of the tower in a way that would eliminate the need for the blow through

I may be conflating things slightly (maybe the blowthru would have been required regardless of the change in floor plates), but that's the general gist.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:57 PM

Yup.

Quote:
The initial concept called for the frustums to
taper from a 90-foot (27.4-meter)-square floor
plate at the widest point to a 70-foot-
(21.3-meter)-square floor plate at the
narrowest; this narrowest floor plate was later
revised to an 81-foot (24.7 meter)-square,
responding to economic demands for more
floor area and less variation in apartment size.
This change, however, had the impact of
increasing wind pressure on the building. In
response, a double-height “blow-through”
floor was introduced at level 83, which allows
wind to pass through the structure at a high
point (see Figure 5). Tuned sloshing dampers
at levels 83, 93, and 94 provide additional
wind-motion accommodation.
p.15 https://studiogang.com/files/pdfs/39...ower-oneup.pdf

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:03 PM

was cool reading through that pdf again.

i never noticed that the trapezoidal glass is actually going to be for the a restaurant. going to be a sick date night location.

plus a nice diagram to understand the frustum design:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:03 PM

As much as the rationalization of the form of this tower might be wholly contrived, Gang designed a really unique and visually seductive building, all of which mostly survived various delays, contractor snafus, financing restructuring, etc. I'm really happy with the (mostly) finished product.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Seeing as these will be some of the most expensive condo's in Chicago it seems the developers are doing everything they can to maximize the comfort for the buyers (i.e. multiple slosh tanks and blow-through floor).

Personally, I like it. It is the first of its kind for Chicago and I think will look attractive once complete.

There is always the highly unlikely scenario the engineers realized something before it was too late and added it out of necessity like New York's Citicorp building. If this was the case I highly doubt it was as dramatic as the Citicorp situation but you never know.

http://www.engineersjournal.ie/2015/...ilure-averted/
Right now it stands out. I'm sure once complete I won't mind it that much. Just so prominent at moment. Love this building either way!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture