HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:16 PM

A couple of nice photos of the BofA tower with cranes in the area.

https://twitter.com/tturner39/status...30723916070912

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:34 PM
Just a dude

Great pic, ugh can't wait til density fixes the barren, small look of the city in some places.

Moving in the right direction!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:05 AM

That was the dumbest place they could have built that tower in the entire downtown/midtown area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
That was the dumbest place they could have built that tower in the entire downtown/midtown area.
C&S wanted to build it Downtown, at Marietta and Broad on the site of their original Bank. Now it's part of GSU's Business School. The City shot them down due to the Historic building, the merger with NCNB and Sovereign happened which created Nationsbank and it was moved. It's a shame.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 1:46 PM

That tower was built well in advance of NationsBank. C&S didn’t change until the tower was almost complete and the tower had been in planning and construction for over 4 years before NationsBank came about.

It’s not in a bad location at all sitting with easy access to the connector and by a Marta station. To say otherwise is so short sighted. It was actually built beside their old tower that stood beside it until completion. The same was said when the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center were built originally as well and look now.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jan 29, 2020 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
That tower was built well in advance of NationsBank. C&S didn’t change until the tower was almost complete and the tower had been in planning and construction for over 4 years before NationsBank came about.

It’s not in a bad location at all sitting with easy access to the connector and by a Marta station. To say otherwise is so short sighted. It was actually built beside their old tower that stood beside it until completion. The same was said when the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center was built originally as well and look now.
I may be fuzzy on the exact sequence of the merger, but the tower did open as Nationsbank Plaza. It was also moved from Five Points. I also remember there were some ruffled feathers in Charlotte over their new acquisition having a taller tower than the Charlotte HQ's.

I've often wondered how different Downtown would be now if it had indeed been built there.

Thanks for filling in some of the details.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:57 PM

BoA Tower is like the centerpiece of ATL's skyline. It would look bare and even more disjointed without it. The Anthem and NS development is helping to bridge the gap with Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post

It’s not in a bad location at all sitting with easy access to the connector and by a Marta station. To say otherwise is so short sighted. It was actually built beside their old tower that stood beside it until completion. The same was said when the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center were built originally as well and look now.
I always thought it was built to replace an existing HQ building which IS Downtown btw. It looks more like Downtown when you see photos of Atlanta before they built the connector in its current form.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:29 PM
Just a dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
BoA Tower is like the centerpiece of ATL's skyline. It would look bare and even more disjointed without it. The Anthem and NS development is helping to bridge the gap with Midtown.
Well said - it's finally getting some neighbors that don't make it look so much like "the lonely tower" - would love to eventually have another 500+ foot tower nearby - it's still such a noticeable gap in the skyline

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:36 PM

Don't worry, in next 10 years will be 10 new towers going up between North Avenue and Ivan Allen/Ralph McGill.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 10:21 PM

Top notch photos of Atlanta, interlock, Howell Mill corridor, etc on this page: https://instagram.com/precisionconcr...=161w5of9pjmft

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:33 PM

126 Renaissance

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:33 PM

That little project above is my favorite in Atlanta. I love the location. It's a catalyst for other nearby parcels. That Chinese developer hopefully makes a big big profit.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:37 PM

Nice Little Park Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
That little project above is my favorite in Atlanta. I love the location. It's a catalyst for other nearby parcels. That Chinese developer hopefully makes a big big profit.

Yeah, I completely forgot about this project.

With the really nice park frontage, this area seems ripe for more quality development. In fact, this little area may “the best kept secret!”

Shhhh

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:47 PM

Quote:
I hope they do well. The same developer, Dezhu, is also building J5 and four projects on Parkway and Boulevard, so they seem to be really banking on the immediate area. Hopefully they can set off a wave of investment from other developers in the vicinity.

555 Boulevard, a 144-unit apartment building with street-level retail on an undeveloped parcel at the corner of Boulevard and Boulevard Place.

542 Boulevard, a 30-unit Class-A apartment project across the street from the planned 555 Boulevard, which will include roof gardens and underground parking.

525 Parkway, a 100-unit Class-A apartment project near the intersection of Morgan Street.

456 Parkway, a high-end townhouse project with 14 units off Parkway Drive near Angier Avenue.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 1:23 AM

The Interlock

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:46 AM

Seeing the sea of cranes every morning going south on I-85 is a real treat.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Agreed! They are also the first new construction with less than one parking space per unit. Most market studies show a demand of between 0.8 and 0.9 for market rate in Downtown/Midtown, but the typical bankers won't lend for those because there are no comps. This project will finally establish comps of what the market actually demands, versus "lowest common denominator."

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:14 PM

Nathan Deal Judicial Center

Completed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:05 PM
Just a dude

I typically don't weigh in on the look of buildings on here but God almighty that is one hulking ugly monstrosity.

Maybe if they can build around it that will help it's look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta