Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 9:45 PM

Skyspire concept touted for New Orleans World Trade Center redevelopment

Skyspire concept touted for New Orleans World Trade Center redevelopment

13 MAR 2015

BY TOM ANSTEY

Read More: http://am2.jobs/index.cfm?pagetype=news&codeID=314620

Quote:
Ride manufacturer US Thrill Rides has unveiled new designs for a 320ft (98m) observation tower and vertical gondola ride – known as a Skyspire – to come up next to New Orleans’ World Trade Center building as part of a proposed site redevelopment.

The concept from US Thrill Rides – which also designed the upcoming Skyscraper vertical rollercoaster in Orlando, Florida – is a gondola ride built into the shape of a double helix, providing 360º views of the surrounding. The patented concept is the only 360º lift system in the world. --- The observation tower would also feature a restaurant as well as the observation deck, in addition to a planned interactive experience that would provide visitors with a panoramic virtual reality tour of New Orleans throughout history.

The ‘Skyspire’ concept can be anywhere between 200ft (61m) and 1,000ft (305m) tall and offers capacity of 1,500+ people every hour on 4-12 climate controlled gondolas. US Thrill Rides’ president, Michael Kitchen, spoke to AM2 about the development – called Tricentennial Tower – which the company thinks can become as iconic as the likes of the London Eye and Seattle’s Space Needle.

“US Thrill Rides is very excited to participate in this potential Riverfront revitalisation project,” said Kitchen. “New Orleans is currently in a redevelopment renaissance and we believe the Tricentennial Tower will be a spectacular addition to the city. “Visitors can expect breathtaking views of the city, Riverfront, French Quarter and the Mississippi River, along with a guided 360 degree Virtual Experience through the rich cultural history of New Orleans."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 10:57 PM

Tacky.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:04 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I don't necessarily think that this idea is bad, I think I'd enjoy this if it were built (because I've visited the city many times). The location is just right so that you could get a great view of the French Quarter and the iconic crescent of the Mississippi.

However, I think it's a bit insulting to New Orleans' true appeal to tourists. People are attracted to it because of its organic nature. The city didn't, initially, become a tourist attraction because billionaires flocked to it thinking they could make a buck. IMO, New Orleans is the most unique city in the US. The idea of having an attraction based on a museum like view of the town tends to take advantage (too much so) of its culture.

New Orleans is a city to be EXPERIENCED, not viewed from afar.

I don't know if this thing would be an eyesore, but why not just have these folks walk through the streets and actually experience the city????????

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering