HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:24 AM

ZBA Wants Time to Digest Blatstein Proposal

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ChfPm7rML7y.99

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
ZBA Wants Time to Digest Blatstein Proposal

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post

Oh no, not another Pepto Tower on South Broad. One is too many. But if Carl got together with Bart who knows what their creative juices would come up with; a pink roof top village with louvers all over the place.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Oh no, not another Pepto Tower on South Broad. One is too many. But if Carl got together with Bart who knows what their creative juices would come up with; a pink roof top village with louvers all over the place.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Bismuth Subsalicylate Symphony House has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
According to Inga he needs two variances, one for the parking podium, another for his cloud city.
What are the odds tha Inga gets something wrong? He needs exactly zero variances. What he needs are two *special exceptions* which have a CONSIDERABLY lower threshold for approval.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:39 PM

Zoning board OKs Blatstein's Broad and Washington plan

Quote:
Zoning officials approved on Wednesday developer Bart Blatstein's proposal for an apartment tower and outdoor shopping mall atop parking and larger-format stores at the northeast corner of Broad Street and Washington Avenue in South Philadelphia.

The Zoning Board of Adjustment voted to grant the project the waivers it needed to be built as planned, said Steve Cobb, chief of staff for City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson, in whose district the site is located.

The zoning board had said it would delay its vote for two weeks after an April 26 hearing at which neighbors voiced their objections to the proposal, which Johnson also opposed. Board chairman Jim Moylan could not immediately be reached Wednesday for comment on why the vote took place earlier.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...5HfhGMeIkhk.99

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
What are the odds tha Inga gets something wrong? He needs exactly zero variances. What he needs are two *special exceptions* which have a CONSIDERABLY lower threshold for approval.
I actually misquoted Inga, she indeed called them special exceptions in her column and predicted they would be given to him.

So what happens now? We get the cloud city?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I actually misquoted Inga, she indeed called them special exceptions in her column and predicted they would be given to him.

So what happens now? We get the cloud city?
You'll get a mid-block parking garage with promises of Sky City for years to come.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:12 AM

As I remember the original proposal by Blatstein for this site was a big box retail complex surrounding a garage. I think we probably get that plus sky village, residential will be in "a later phase".

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
As I remember the original proposal by Blatstein for this site was a big box retail complex surrounding a garage. I think we probably get that plus sky village, residential will be in "a later phase".
Blatstein is claiming it will all be built in one phase.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:25 AM

Well an interesting development in the story for sure. I say go for it as long as it's gonna be done in one phase and not leave elements of the development left hanging partway through. I think that's a large part of the concern.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:35 AM

From UrbanPHL:

As it turns out, the ZBA had to vacate the previous approval of 1001 S. Broad Street because they said the previous continuance of two weeks to make the decision had to stand. So they will wait two weeks from after last week's ZBA hearing to make the official decision and vote again.

LOL if true.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:24 AM

^ Looks like it's be true

City Board Approves Blatstein Project, Then Says Nevermind

Quote:
By Sandy Smith | May 4, 2016 at 9:09 pm
After saying it would need two weeks to mull over everything developer Bart Blatstein presented at its April 26 meeting, the Zoning Board of Adjustment today voted to grant the two special exceptions Blatstein sought for his mixed-use residential/retail/office development at the northeast corner of Broad Street and Washington Avenue – then later decided that it should wait until it said it would vote and vacated its earlier decision.

A Philadelphia Inquirer news report stated that board chairman Jim Moylan could not be reached for comment on why the board went ahead and voted a week before it said it would. A source who remained until the end of the meeting to hear another case later reported that shortly before that last case, the board members recused themselves, then came back and announced that they had to vacate the earlier vote because their earlier vote to continue Blatstein’s case for two weeks had to stand.

The board had originally set the two-week date at its April 26 meeting. The board’s vote to reverse itself means that it will instead wait until the May 10 meeting to vote on the exceptions. Barring some change of mind on the part of one or more board members between now and May 10, however, today’s actions most likely telegraph the board’s ultimate decision....
http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...FtVguclCcGH.99

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:51 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 7:57 PM

What an absolute joke the city board is. The whole process to build in this city is crazy.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:00 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I saw that headline and shot over here to read more. I can't take it. Let's make up rules as we go along.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:48 PM

Retarded. If a developer wants to get anything done, he has to follow the regulations to a tee then hope for a non-forward thinking committee/board/community to approve his project. If Kenyatta Johnson, however, decides he wants to delay a project for a year just...because, then he can do that coz why?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:50 PM

THIS is the solution????

Does the city need money so bad that it has to come up with idiotic soda taxes? Or is the city so flush, it can say no to mega projects that are sure to put money in the city's coffers? I can't tell.

The saddest part is that City Council will no doubt rubber stamp this because of Councilmatic pejorative. The only hope is that Blatstein greased Kenny's wheels and this gets vetoed. But I doubt Kenney will go to war with council over this, especially as he tries to pass his soda tax.

Also, I agree this end around BS totally defeats the point of a zoning code. I mean, you jump through hoops with all these committee and neighbor meetings and then in the end, a councilman can make it all for nothing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction