HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 7:28 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I’ve watched that before and it’s great. The idea and execution was perfect. But the waterfront is far from fulfilling a better potential. There should at least be snack bars/food carts selling drinks and such in our parks and the waterfront. Is this outlawed here for some reason? Other than a few festivals in the summer the place is boring..
It's a park, do you not go to parks? You can literally buy food at a nearby food cart and walk over to the park, sit down, and eat your food. Or you can stop at any of the cafes or restaurants at Riverplace along the river.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It's a park, do you not go to parks? You can literally buy food at a nearby food cart and walk over to the park, sit down, and eat your food. Or you can stop at any of the cafes or restaurants at Riverplace along the river.
Then you must hate this “park” is getting a fun attraction

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
I’ve watched that before and it’s great. The idea and execution was perfect. But the waterfront is far from fulfilling a better potential. There should at least be snack bars/food carts selling drinks and such in our parks and the waterfront. Is this outlawed here for some reason? Other than a few festivals in the summer the place is boring..
Ya know, I used to find peace, quiet, nature and tranquility to be boring too. But then I grew up and out of my childhood and realized that it's exactly what you need to de-stress. That is the type of waterfront that this park is. It's not an amusement park or a tourist attraction. It's there for exactly the reasons I described. Sorry you haven't discovered that yet.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:33 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Stop trolling. Waterfront Park is huge.

Every single comment you post is either a complaint or like this, which is just plain trolling.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:40 PM

Quote:
I used to ride the Sunset Hwy 26 bus (before the MAX) as a teenager to come downtown. One of my favorite destinations has always been waterfront park. There's plenty to do on or near the park including Saturday Market, playing in the Salmon Spring fountain, throwing a frisbee or football, and taking my mom to lunch at Harborside when she'd visit me downtown while on her lunchbreak.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:07 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I used to ride the Sunset Hwy 26 bus (before the MAX) as a teenager to come downtown. One of my favorite destinations has always been waterfront park. There's plenty to do on or near the park including Saturday Market, playing in the Salmon Spring fountain, throwing a frisbee or football, and taking my mom to lunch at Harborside when she'd visit me downtown while on her lunchbreak.
Plus, the east side esplanade has been a wonderful addition, though I'm not sure if that's considered to be part of Waterfront Park, but it's definitely part of it all in my opinion... not to mention how it flows down to OMSI on the east side and Riverplace on the west side. The whole thing is such a huge multipurpose jewel & we, as a city, are so lucky to have it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:01 AM
A before E

Quote:
I'm actually all for this skate park because it will be built in an underutilized part. The waterfront park in Portland is huge and it has a lot of amenities along it, even if you don't want to admit that it does.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I'm actually all for this skate park because it will be built in an underutilized part. The waterfront park in Portland is huge and it has a lot of amenities along it, even if you don't want to admit that it does.
I’d take Vancouver’s new waterfront over ours. It’s why so many ppl laugh at ours

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:32 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I’d take Vancouver’s new waterfront over ours. It’s why so many ppl laugh at ours
Just stop it. No one laughs at Portland's Waterfront Park. No one but you, and you're just a disgruntled kid living with his parents who is angry at the world and not even sure why. You're just a stereotypical spoiled angry kid, and you're in for a rude awakening when adulthood arrives & you finally realize no one cares about your whole boo hoo routine.

No one but you laughs at Portland's Waterfront Park, and you don't count because you're too juvenile to understand what you're complaining about. Waterfront Park is an absolute jewel that we're luck to have.

Tom McCall Waterfront Park literally shows up on recommendations from national travel guides when they write about the many things to see and do when visiting Portland.

Saturday Market.
Salmon Street Springs Fountain.
The Founders' Stone.
The Bill of Rights Memorial.
The Battleship Oregon Memorial
The engraved memorial stones.
Friendship Circle.
The Japanese American Historical Plaza.
The cherry trees that bloom every year. There's at least 100 of them.
The Oregon Maritime Museum in the Sternwheeler.
The grassy amphitheater bowl.
The huge grassy lawn that gets used in so many ways.
The paved path, which is constantly filled with walkers, joggers and cyclists.
The eastside esplanade.
OMSI.
Festivals, festivals, festivals. And concerts.
The ships docked for Fleet Week.
And hey, what a great spot to enjoy the Christmas Ships parade.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

Oh, but boo hoo, it doesn't have a freaking taco stand, so you throw an unending tantrum like a toddler whose mommy won't buy him a toy.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Just stop it. No one laughs at Portland's Waterfront Park. No one but you, and you're just a disgruntled kid living with his parents who is angry at the world and not even sure why. You're just a stereotypical spoiled angry kid, and you're in for a rude awakening when adulthood arrives & you finally realize no one cares about your whole boo hoo routine.

No one but you laughs at Portland's Waterfront Park, and you don't count because you're too juvenile to understand what you're complaining about. Waterfront Park is an absolute jewel that we're luck to have.

Tom McCall Waterfront Park literally shows up on recommendations from national travel guides when they write about the many things to see and do when visiting Portland.

Saturday Market.
Salmon Street Springs Fountain.
The Founders' Stone.
The Bill of Rights Memorial.
The Battleship Oregon Memorial
The engraved memorial stones.
Friendship Circle.
The Japanese American Historical Plaza.
The cherry trees that bloom every year. There's at least 100 of them.
The Oregon Maritime Museum in the Sternwheeler.
The grassy amphitheater bowl.
The huge grassy lawn that gets used in so many ways.
The paved path, which is constantly filled with walkers, joggers and cyclists.
The eastside esplanade.
OMSI.
Festivals, festivals, festivals. And concerts.
The ships docked for Fleet Week.
And hey, what a great spot to enjoy the Christmas Ships parade.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

Oh, but boo hoo, it doesn't have a freaking taco stand, so you throw an unending tantrum like a toddler whose mommy won't buy him a toy.
You can 'ignore' certain users so you don't have to read their comments. It doesn't block them from the forum only from your account.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 6:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
That's great, I don't ever go to Vancouver and Portland's waterfront I can access by bike. I don't really see the point to this whole "which waterfront is better" thing that you keep doing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 6:11 PM

Preliminary Darcelle XV Plaza design released:

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...nt-square.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Proposed Fence Around Darcelle XV Plaza Draws Criticism from Portland Design Commission
The regulators can’t kill the idea because they lack authority, but they sure didn’t care for it.

Don’t fence me in.

That, very simply, was the recommendation from most members of the Portland Design Commission, the seven-member body that reviews major projects for the City Council, at a hearing on the proposed development of Darcelle XV Plaza yesterday.

Portland Parks & Recreation and its partner in the project, Downtown Portland Clean & Safe, want to turn the former O’Bryant Square, a blighted piece of downtown known at various times as “Needle Park” and “Paranoid Park,” into an event space, plaza and dog park.

They also want to surround the 100-foot by 200-foot property with a fence and close it at night, saying the moves are crucial to keeping people from using the space to take drugs and relieve their bowels, problems that have made the space uninviting to most Portlanders.
...continues at Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 1:14 AM

North Park Blocks Open House #1 survey

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues