HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 7:44 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I've always liked the idea of a good amusement park for the city. But I can't bring myself to sign this petition. This guy is a little over the top for my liking.
I know the website looks silly and such, but really, would it hurt to sign it?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:28 PM

The website is horrible, and his ideas are a little far fetched. Olympic class sports facilities..... The government wouldn't even cough up the money to have the Commonwealth Games... There are only a few large amusement parks in the county. Amusement parks need people to opperate, they need a large market of people. That is unless the government wants to pump money into them to keep them going ie. Upper Clements.

For example, Calgary has Calaway Park which is larger than Upper Clements but not by much. It is the largest Park in Western Canada and still has to discount tickets to convince people to go. It was also funded with private money.

The reality is that Halifax is still under 400,000 people, and that Nova Scotia under 1,000,000. People from New Brunswick and East would probably take the extra drive to Canada's Wonderland if they wanted a large park.

I am not a defeatist just a realist. Personally I would rather the government move Upper Clements to the HRM and let private businesses and people take over from there. I realize that in 2007 the Province did sell the Park, however it was to a local group who still gets handouts from the provincial government. So private in principle only...

The government has better things to be spending money on than thrill rides... Halifax needs to invest in infrastructure, in athetics facilities, in things that matter. It needs to be open to business, lower taxes, loosen restrictions on developement.... etc. It does not need to be wasting time on amusment parks, which should be a private business.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali_user View Post
I realize that in 2007 the Province did sell the Park, however it was to a local group who still gets handouts from the provincial government. So private in principle only...
Didn't that happen like, 10 years ago? Not 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
By signing it you say you support what he proposes. If you don't support it, why would you sign it?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Didn't that happen like, 10 years ago? Not 1?

By signing it you say you support what he proposes. If you don't support it, why would you sign it?
I support the concept, just not the details. Much like Jonovision.

Im sure many changes would be made before the final product were to be presented. The thing I disagree the most with is the location. It should definately be further inland. atleast as far inland as Bedford.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm personally a little tired of random people declaring that they want things without having anybody but the government to pay for it. There's no question that something like Canada's Wonderland is just not on the table, but beyond that I'm really skeptical of the idea of using public money when there is so much more it can be spent on.

Even just when it comes to tourist attractions the government could instead fund a local museum like the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is something fairly unique and educational.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:47 PM

Yes, I would much rather see government money spent on Queens Landing and the redevelopment of the Maritime Museum then on an amusement park. Even if, (lets just float the possibility) this were to get built, it would be out on the outskirts of town surrounded by giant parking lots. Not something I would support at all. Major attractions should be located within the city and with good connections.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 8:46 PM

Wouldn't be bad if it was say, 20 minutes outside the city - as opposed to 3 hours.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 7:20 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I don't know...it could be an alien abduction list...be careful.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 9:12 PM

So I gather nothing ever became of this just like everyone's idea for anything in the city. The website doesn't even work anymore. I think scaled down version of this would have worked well for the area, there definitely seems to be a demand for one, even if it was something lame like crystal palace or a small zoo

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
So I gather nothing ever became of this just like everyone's idea for anything in the city. The website doesn't even work anymore. I think scaled down version of this would have worked well for the area, there definitely seems to be a demand for one, even if it was something lame like crystal palace or a small zoo
The distance from Halifax to any amusement park or zoo is a bit odd. And you'd think we'd have at least a small aquarium (although I'd hate see us get into the dolphin or orca trade.)

I think a pier with just a few rides like a ferris wheel seems like a nice idea. I don't think Halifax is a roller-coaster and big flashy neon lights kids of town.

What would you design that suits Halifax?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:10 PM
BUILD!

Maybe someone will come up with an amusement park now that Crystal Palace is set to close in September. I'd personally build one out of town near the highway (like around the airport).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
Maybe someone will come up with an amusement park now that Crystal Palace is set to close in September. I'd personally build one out of town near the highway (like around the airport).
Its just moving to a new location in Morton, its not really closing

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:33 PM

Nova Scotia's provincial debt was just confirmed as exceeding 15 BILLION Canadian dollars. That should rule us out from building any more amusement parks - along with a bunch of other more necessary things.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:44 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Nova Scotia's provincial debt was just confirmed as exceeding 15 BILLION Canadian dollars. That should rule us out from building any more amusement parks - along with a bunch of other more necessary things.
While Halifax continues to prosper, the rest of the province heads to a developing nation standard of living. I'd bet by 2030, countries like Turkey and Botswana will have higher standards of living than rural NS...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
Its just moving to a new location in Morton, its not really closing
Yes, the rides at Crystal Palace have all been purchased by Magic Mountain, which is potentially a very good business plan for them. Magic Mountain could become both the biggest water park in the region as well as a permanent amusement park. Their location next to Magnetic Hill Zoo is ideal. Lots of synergies there……..

and we get a Bass Pro Shops to boot.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Just like in private business, when the company is in trouble and cannot meet its obligations the workers are required to take a pay cut, give up their pensions, do the work of more than one person, all with the hope of at least having a job.
Time for the employees of this province to face cut backs, like many others have done.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:05 AM

I've always thought that an amusement park on McNabs Island would be cool. Kinda like La Ronde being on Ile Sainte-Helene.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
I've always thought that an amusement park on McNabs Island would be cool. Kinda like La Ronde being on Ile Sainte-Helene.
I agree, originally McNab used to it as a picnic ground where there is remnants of Victorian gardens and an impressive natural amphitheatre. If Parks Canada would allow someone in partnership with a group to pay for the rest of the Island being opened up as a 2nd to none urban experience, a floating "garden" that the whole city would have access to! I believe the city is long overdue for adequate facilities (especially after my recent trip to the batting cages and saunter through Atlantic Playland. ) How much more would the cruise ship passengers remember Halifax after we have our own Coney Island on the waterfront?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Just like in private business, when the company is in trouble and cannot meet its obligations the workers are required to take a pay cut, give up their pensions, do the work of more than one person, all with the hope of at least having a job.
Time for the employees of this province to face cut backs, like many others have done.
It has happened continuously over the years in cycles: 3% rollbacks, unpaid days, wage freezes, etc. The issue is not that most employees in the province are being paid too much (although some* are) but rather that there are far too many of them. Govt is just too big, trying to be all things to all people. We waste a prodigious amount of money on things that are unnecessary while starving the core things that govt should do well. Cutting salaries and pensions will do nothing to solve the issue of mega-govt while making health care and education even worse.

* The website that shall not be named gave a rundown on salaries over $100K recently. I was disgusted to find that retired Dal President Tom Traves will continue to collect his approx. $450,000 annual salary and benefits for another 2 years as part of an ill-advised employment contract he was given. Meanwhile we are paying his replacement $360,000 annually. So nearly a million dollars a year to head a university. Add to that the likes of Ramsay Duff, departed as finance head of St FX collecting $360K and various other university types making over $250K annually and you see the attraction of amalgamating these places. They should not exist to create hundreds of 6-figure executive salaries internally, but rather to churn out people who will be able to get similar positions in the private sector.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
It has happened continuously over the years in cycles: 3% rollbacks, unpaid days, wage freezes, etc. The issue is not that most employees in the province are being paid too much (although some* are) but rather that there are far too many of them. Govt is just too big, trying to be all things to all people. We waste a prodigious amount of money on things that are unnecessary while starving the core things that govt should do well. Cutting salaries and pensions will do nothing to solve the issue of mega-govt while making health care and education even worse.

* The website that shall not be named gave a rundown on salaries over $100K recently. I was disgusted to find that retired Dal President Tom Traves will continue to collect his approx. $450,000 annual salary and benefits for another 2 years as part of an ill-advised employment contract he was given. Meanwhile we are paying his replacement $360,000 annually. So nearly a million dollars a year to head a university. Add to that the likes of Ramsay Duff, departed as finance head of St FX collecting $360K and various other university types making over $250K annually and you see the attraction of amalgamating these places. They should not exist to create hundreds of 6-figure executive salaries internally, but rather to churn out people who will be able to get similar positions in the private sector.
Yeah I agree with all that.

I don't think gov founding should necessarily be needed for a Amusement park, there are people with deep enough pockets out there to start something up on there own. mcnabs island would be a interesting location or Shannon park area or somewhere along the harbour off of the number 7 before you get to bedford but I think Shannon park would be my top pock for the location of one, have boat rentals for the bedford basin be apart of it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment