HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Holy I thought this was a joke at first.
Based on comments on social media, so did many locals.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Suspect arrested.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Apparently this incident is not terrorism.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:05 PM

Yes. I am listening to the press conference as I type - originally French from France but he used a samauri sword. And the attacks seemed to have been planned but not terrorist-related. 24-year-old man. In 2014 he threatened someone. Verbal threats in the last 5 years. Mental health problems are considered to be the reason according to the SPVQ (Québec City Police force).

I believe these are the 6th and 7th murders for Quebec City.

Marylène Lévesque - 22 Jan. in Ste-Foy
Lahoucine Faouzi - 3 May in Ste-Foy
2 young boys (6 and 8) killed in Wendake by a family memeber - Oct. 11
David Frigon - Sept. 28 in Saint Sauvier (rue Napoléon) - 5th murder of the year.
2 dead on Oct. 31 in Vieux-Québec (Haute-Ville)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I heard that it was some of the victims who were originally French from France.

Suspect is actually from northern suburbs of Montreal. (Does not mean he cannot have recent origins from France.)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:22 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Apparently this incident is not terrorism.
Even if he had mental health issues, I don't understand how running around in a disguise killing random people isn't terrorism? Our definition for what is and isn't terrorism seems very selective and problematic imo.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Even if he had mental health issues, I don't understand how running around in a disguise killing random people isn't terrorism? Our definition for what is and isn't terrorism seems very selective and problematic imo.
I actually agree with you on this one. This attack was just horrifying through and through. It just means that Legault now has 2 things to tackle instead of 1.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Terrorism is the use of violence in order to try and provoke political or societal change.

It's not just some random guy pissed off at life who decided to kill a bunch of people.

If you're wondering, the Quebec City mosque shootings were terrorism because the intent was to terrorize Muslims to show them they have no place in Quebec/Canada/Western countries, and make them think twice about living here and maybe even convince the government to not let them in.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Terrorism in my mind implies a political, religious or ethnic motivation.

In the absence of this, it is still a horrific crime, but not terrorism.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Suspect's name is Carl Girouard.

Draw your own conclusions, folks.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I heard that it was some of the victims who were originally French from France.

Suspect is actually from northern suburbs of Montreal. (Does not mean he cannot have recent origins from France.)
Yeah, that is my poor listening skills, suspect is from Sainte-Thérèse (Blainville) just past Laval, off the Island. Yes, two victims are French Nationals and all are residents of Québec City.

Déguisé avec un costume médiéval, armé d’un sabre japonais, il a frappé au hasard, atteignant sept personnes en tout, toutes résidentes de Québec, avec «l’intention de faire le plus de victimes possibles».
Deux des victimes sont des ressortissants français, qui habitent à Québec.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Terrorism in my mind implies a political, religious or ethnic motivation.

In the absence of this, it is still a horrific crime, but not terrorism.
I agree with MonctonRad here. If random attacks are terrorism, every serial killing is a terrorist but every postal shooting is not unless it happens to be done by a muslim (i.e. 2015 San Bernardino attack).

A horrific crime can be non-terrorist (i.e. Toronto van attack). Though, I suppose it depends whether we think incels are part of a group.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There is also a possibility that this guy could be a member of some group like La Meute (far right), which could make it a potential terror attack.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
I disagree, the point of the definition is that if it actually IS terrorism, then we can (and should) invest police/military resources into preventing this Killing Samurai Organization from perpetrating further such attacks, or maybe even look into conceding a few things if they have some demands that aren't that unreasonable.

That's not problematic, that's useful.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:30 PM
I am a typical

So our mental health policies resulting in an increase in mentally ill people both killing civilians and being killed by police isn't a political issue? "I am so fucked up I'm going to kill random people as an expression of that" isn't a political statement?

No, it can't be. Because then the terrorist organization would be our mental health care system and we'd have to fix that, and god forbid we do. Easier to just accept that some lives will be lost than to take health seriously, I guess.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
So our mental health policies resulting in an increase in mentally ill people both killing civilians and being killed by police isn't a political issue? "I am so fucked up I'm going to kill random people as an expression of that" isn't a political statement?

No, it can't be. Because then the terrorist organization would be our mental health care system and we'd have to fix that, and god forbid we do. Easier to just accept that some lives will be lost than to take health seriously, I guess.
Have you not heard of Covid-19? That is precisely the argument being made not just in the USA but elsewhere. And this is not limited to mental health. Car crashes are not inevitable, clearly, since they have gone down significantly in the last 30 years. Alcohol and gambling are more serious in terms of deaths than illict drugs and mental health problems.

This is not to say that we shouldn't tackle all problems but we should recognize that the system is part of the problem and work to change it like making collision avoidance system (CAS) in cars mandatory.

Covid-19 has killed more police officers in 2020 in the USA than all other causes combined.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
There is also a possibility that this guy could be a member of some group like La Meute (far right), which could make it a potential terror attack.
Given the guy's profile and choice of weapon, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be another incel attack, which would definitely qualify as terrorism as well.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 5:54 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Given the guy's profile and choice of weapon, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be another incel attack, which would definitely qualify as terrorism as well.
No, you're not allowed to suggest that!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:

A terrorist organization is required for it to be terrorism. A Muslim going into a gay bar with a machine gun like happened in Orlando isn't terrorism IMO, as "lone nut" and "organized terrorism" are mutually exclusive.

Of course there's a grey area where they meet - if a lone nut afterwards decides to claim he did it for XYZ (though he had no contacts with them) which is an actual terrorist group, that's going to fall in the unclear area of the terrorism spectrum.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
Yeah, that is my poor listening skills, suspect is from Sainte-Thérèse (Blainville) just past Laval, off the Island. Yes, two victims are French Nationals and all are residents of Québec City.

Déguisé avec un costume médiéval, armé d’un sabre japonais, il a frappé au hasard, atteignant sept personnes en tout, toutes résidentes de Québec, avec «l’intention de faire le plus de victimes possibles».
Deux des victimes sont des ressortissants français, qui habitent à Québec.
If it's the lockdowns that caused him to lose it like that, do the people sliced in two with that japanese saber count as Covid deaths?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada