HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
70,000 people expected to visit Chinook Centre today.
I won't be one of them!
My GF wants to go there today. I told her that she's insane but I'll drop her off as close as I can get but we must leave soon. She has no clue what Chinook is going to be like. I'm really looking forward to saying, "I told you so." in about 5 hours.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
My GF wants to go there today. I told her that she's insane but I'll drop her off as close as I can get but we must leave soon. She has no clue what Chinook is going to be like. I'm really looking forward to saying, "I told you so." in about 5 hours.
I went to Chinook on Thursday at 930 am....and even then it took a while to find parking because the place was hopping busy. God help anyone who tried to go there this weekend.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:37 AM
not a NIMBY

To add to the general chaos, Chinook also had an Idle No More protest/flash mob today. They must have found parking no problem.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I went to Chinook on Thursday at 930 am....and even then it took a while to find parking because the place was hopping busy. God help anyone who tried to go there this weekend.
I was there at about the same time on Thursday. I didn't find it that bad. My M.O is to get there early and get in and get out. I was done in about an hour.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
70,000 people expected to visit Chinook Centre today.
I won't be one of them!
I braved the crowds. It wasn't as bad as I had been expecting.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 1:45 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I kind of want to go to chinook tomorrow and just sit in P&S drinking coffee watching the madness.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I kind of want to go to chinook tomorrow and just sit in P&S drinking coffee watching the madness.
P&S isn't much of a vantage point though.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 3:09 AM
BANNED

What get's me is that while the downtown areas have the highest density, the numbers of shoppers around the core are no where near what they are in the suburban shopping areas (like Chinook).

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 4:07 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Well that's downtown retail in general. Unlike many other cities, where the central business district is surrounded by an 'uptown' type area with lots of retail and activity which is several times the size of the CBD, our CBD is so big it's overrun the sorts of area where that would exist, so you're left with CBD surrounded by residential, either high density already which wont change to retail anytime soon, or low density which will change to anything else over the residents dead bodies, and not much in between. In Toronto you have the Eaton Centre which is the mall with all the activity. In Calgary Chinook plays that role far more than the Core, which is why I'd love the area surrounding Chinook to get going as a big node, since there's not much room downtown for that sort of thing. (other than perhaps West Vic Park, which could be a game changer if some of the potential developments happen there).

So in a nutshell downtown malls can be the centre of attention when they're in big retail areas of the downtown, but since Calgary somewhat lacks that, Chinook fills in because although it's about 4 kms from the beltline, it's at a crossroads of both car and pedestrian transportation, giving it downtown-like car and foot traffic. Plus the fact it's actually the best mall helps too of course

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Dec 24, 2012 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:24 PM

Urban Retail Data Point:

I was in Best Buy 17th yesterday around noon - the staff outnumbered the customers 6 to 1. Literally a sea of blue shirts. Combine that with them using every bit of aisle space for storage made for a less than wonderful experience. On the other hand, parking was effortless (my spot was less than 20' from the doors and there were several others nearby).

Draw your own conclusions, but I don't think Calgary has warmed to 'urban format' big box just yet.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 10:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
Urban Retail Data Point:

I was in Best Buy 17th yesterday around noon - the staff outnumbered the customers 6 to 1. Literally a sea of blue shirts. Combine that with them using every bit of aisle space for storage made for a less than wonderful experience. On the other hand, parking was effortless (my spot was less than 20' from the doors and there were several others nearby).

Draw your own conclusions, but I don't think Calgary has warmed to 'urban format' big box just yet.
Sounds like the only Best Buy to go to on Boxing Day! I made that mistake a few years ago, never again.

In case anyone is tempted, Red Flag Deals has most of the big flyers online
http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 12:36 AM

I kind of had the same experience at Best Buy. Lots of employees, not so many customers.
And yeah, they put a ton of shelves right by the entrance so it was kind of hard to navigate. I got into a grid-lock situation with 1 customer.

Hopefully it picks up....these types of store add to the big-city vibe Calgary is missing.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:31 PM
Here and There

Went to Best Buy 17th ave. The service staff (most of them) were really helpful and knew a lot about their products. It sure wasnt hard to find one either. I love having this best buy so close. It was pretty busy when I went there. Had a great shopping experience this year and didnt really have to leave the inner city.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Urban Retail Data Point:

Could the fact we're in one of our worst cold snaps of the year have something to do with it? I'm not sure people are overly familiar that there is underground parking, and I'm also assuming most don't want to pay for parking on 17th if its too cold to walk. I'd almost bet that particular location would be busiest in Summer.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 11:37 PM

Best Buy in the suburbs is like that most of the time in my experience.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:29 AM

Nice to have my own experience corroborated, but not so nice for Best Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
I hope for their sake the Best Buy at Hanson Square works out in the end. I was there last night around 6:30 and I was one of three customers in the entire store.

I was talking to a friend about the store; he didn't even know there was underground parking. (It's in the back, off the alley, for those of you who don't know.) Even if people knew about it I'm not sure it would encourage more people to show up there: there isn't any short-term parking. The whole parkade is a flat $5 fee whether you're there only 20 minutes or the entire day. In particular it blows in the evening because all the street parking is free.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 7:48 AM

An urban format store is going to live or die on the basis of how much of the local population shops there. Dependency on drive-in traffic won't cut it, as there will invariably be less parking (and at greater cost) than what a typical power centre location can offer. Without a healthy amount of walk-ins, I can't see how an urban format store could compete successfully.

That said, while I did take advantage of Best Buy's sale today, I unfortunately had to do so through their website. As much as I would have liked to support the new location, it was just too bloody cold for a 20 minute walk.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
That said, while I did take advantage of Best Buy's sale today, I unfortunately had to do so through their website. As much as I would have liked to support the new location, it was just too bloody cold for a 20 minute walk.
That's actually a very good point... how long is retail going to last period (at least in its current form)? I'd estimate that 70% of my non-food shopping is done online.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:36 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
In Toronto you have the Eaton Centre which is the mall with all the activity. In Calgary Chinook plays that role far more than the Core, which is why I'd love the area surrounding Chinook to get going as a big node, since there's not much room downtown for that sort of thing.
So in a nutshell downtown malls can be the centre of attention when they're in big retail areas of the downtown, but since Calgary somewhat lacks that, Chinook fills in because although it's about 4 kms from the beltline, it's at a crossroads of both car and pedestrian transportation, giving it downtown-like car and foot traffic. Plus the fact it's actually the best mall helps too of course
In Toronto, Eaton Centre plays the role of the Core and Yorkdale Mall plays the role of Chinook. Obviously Eaton Centre is much, much larger and busier than the core, but the concepts are similar. Both have large skylights as well.

Yorkdale is located off a major artery (the 401), as is Chinook (Macleod/Glenmore), and both are relatively close to the mass transit system (Yorkdale is much better connected to the TTC however). Both of those malls the have the highest end stores as well.

Give Calgary time, it will get there.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
That's actually a very good point... how long is retail going to last period (at least in its current form)? I'd estimate that 70% of my non-food shopping is done online.
Retail in its present form will likely last for the foreseable future.

Couple of vinettes from my own Christmas shopping experience:

2 yr old daughter loves Thomas the Tank Engine wooden railway and recently discovered the TV series. She loves the Emily character and as luck would have it Talking Emily is the hotest TOMY train of the season. Went online and picked up Talking Emily from Chapters/Indigo. Easy process and would definitely pick up another train material.

Same daughter is "requested" to be the flower girl for wedding on my wife's side. Bride picked out flower girl dress from online Amazon merchant and the sticker price came to $40. Wife needed help with the Amazon store and we clicked through to finds out there was a $50 shipping and handling charge plus an unknown amount (due on delivery) for customs and import fees. Plus there is a high likelihood the dress will need altering. New plan is to organize a trip to Cross Iron Mills and see what Oksana's can do.

Boxing Day my wife and I braved the crowds to get new winter jackets from Sport Check. I tried on 3 jackets and took the first one as they all fit about the same. Wife tried on 10-12 jackets and range of cuts and styles made only one style actually fit her body. I have done the online thing for jeans and other items that I am simply updating from a retailer I have known for years, but women's fashion is so over the map it must be tried-on before purchase.

Also consider that a big chunk of the female population love going to stores and malls just to window shop with friends. There is no social gathering in online retail, the bricks and mortar retail business will be around for a long time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy