HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:50 AM
Criminal Mastermind

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/money...986/story.html

It appears Holt Renfrew may not be opening up at CrossIron Mills afterall...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrain View Post

From the article:
"The mall, which will feature 17 anchor tenants and 200 specialty stores, is so big, it’s being split into six “neighbourhoods,” with Disney-style giant sculptures guarding the entrance to each.

Scattered throughout the mall are what Scott calls “FF&H” — furniture, fixtures and amenities — which include a near-full-sized pumpjack in the resources neighbourhood, a giant campfire sculpture in the ranch district, and a “prehistoric shopper,” a caveman with a coffee cup and briefcase encased in a plastic “iceberg” in the “fossil” neighbourhood."

Sounds very tacky.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Sounds very tacky.
If it sounds tacky now, imagine it in 10 years. Yikes!

I'll wait to judge it for myself, but reading that made my anticipation level go from "indifferent" to "mildly disinterested".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:43 AM

My parents are talking about going on the opening day to check it out. Personally I'll probably leave it a couple weeks, and even then it will just be a 'take a look around for the sake of it' visit. The only reason I can see myself really going there will be once the theatres are open, as it will actually be quicker to get there then to get to Chinook or pretty much about the same as to Country Hills (and this will be even less common once the 3 new screens in the Cochrane theatre are open later this year anyways)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:44 AM
Hare Expert

Oh boy, more theme park shopping. Sunterra is bad enough.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:55 AM

Quote:

Interesting, the Holt's outlet was the only reason I was gonna check out this mall, as regular Holt Renfrew doesn't fit my student budget.

It seems as if many of the "premier retailers" are losing confidence in the location of this mall seeing as a few that were originally rumoured/announced have gotten cold feet. Hopefully they will opt for the Chinook expansion or renovated TD as opposed to way out in Balzac.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Oh boy, more theme park shopping. Sunterra is bad enough.
What makes Sunterra theme park shopping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay
Interesting, the Holt's outlet was the only reason I was gonna check out this mall, as regular Holt Renfrew doesn't fit my student budget.
Agreed. Now I don't have to go to this shit hole!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:51 PM

Never thought Holt fit into this mall either. Plus with them doing the huge expansion in the Core seemed like not the right time to go into another location, even if it was more an Outlet style.

I will most likely just go once to see what it is but doubt it will be part of my regular shopping, in fact hopping it makes Chinook a bit quieter and still think the Core must be open in the evenings when the reno is complete.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:37 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
What makes Sunterra theme park shopping?
It's a bit of a stretch, but if you compare it to Superstore or something, you'll see that it's more frilly and decorated.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
It's a bit of a stretch, but if you compare it to Superstore or something, you'll see that it's more frilly and decorated.
I'm not seeing it, but I've been shopping at the Britannia store more often lately, and it is far from frilly...

Edit - Even the Sirocco location seems no more frilly than, say, Midtown Co-Op.

Agree to disagree

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
American Eagle turned out as well, not to mention Hollister a while back too.

By the sounds of it, A&F and Hollister are waiting for the Chinook renos before they enter the Calgary market.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:39 PM
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I was looking for dress clothes today, received excellent service at Henry Singer's and dreadful service at Harry Rosen's. Completely ignored, sure I may look like a felon, but I had cash and I was looking to spend it.
I dread walking into Rosen's anytime I just want to poke around. They hustle you for everything. I went in there to buy one pair of jeans and some how walked out with far more than that. /sigh

Quote:
Really? Did that pre-date the Indigo on the north side of Westhills by Staples?
Quote:
No, they both co-existed for some time. I'm not sure how long, but I remember when I was 10 or 11 sometimes we'd go to Indigo, look for a book, then go to Chapters if they didn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
There was a Chapters in Westhills when it first opened...but it was not in the Rona location, it was in the location next door to the North. After Signal Hill Centre opened along with Indigo, the Chapters didn't last long...maybe a year.
That is correct. Originally the Chapters in Westhills opened where Linens N Things was. That location is now going to be a Best Buy. It went: Chapters - Linens N Things - Best Buy.

At one time there was a Chapters and the Indigo in the Signal Hill Centre across the street, but when Chapters was bought out or how ever that worked they elected to close the Chapters location.

I remember when they were still building Westhills 10 Movie Theatre. And the side where Superstore is now was just a wasteland, covered with gravel. Man am I old.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing it, but I've been shopping at the Britannia store more often lately, and it is far from frilly...

Edit - Even the Sirocco location seems no more frilly than, say, Midtown Co-Op.

Agree to disagree
He might be referring to Sunterra's downtown locations. They've done up like an old European village.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:07 PM
Criminal Mastermind

does anyone have a link to the original mall map showing the tenants for CrossIron Mills?

Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:16 PM

The leasing plan from March 09 can be found here

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:25 PM

According to yesterday's Sun...American Eagle is still opening in Crossiron, just not til Spring. Holt Renfrew Last Call still has a lease agreement with the mall, and while the opening is uncertain...its certainly not a dead deal.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
According to yesterday's Sun...American Eagle is still opening in Crossiron, just not til Spring.
I wonder why?

For shits and giggles I went on the Vaughan Mills website to see what kinds of stores they have... Armani Ex, Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Champs, Hugo Boss & Old Navy just to name a few that's not on the Crossiron list.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:43 AM

I was by Aspen Landing today. That thing sprouted up FAST. Nothing is open yet, but RBC, Edo Japan, and Shoppers Drugmart have full signage... and Shoppers has what looks like some stocked shelves, it definitely should be opening soon, the parking lot is finished and ready to go (and had a couple of cars parked by the doors, staff probably?). It will be nice when all of it is open, that's for sure

Does anybody have a leasing plan for it ?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 1:38 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I was by Aspen Landing today. That thing sprouted up FAST. Nothing is open yet, but RBC, Edo Japan, and Shoppers Drugmart have full signage... and Shoppers has what looks like some stocked shelves, it definitely should be opening soon, the parking lot is finished and ready to go (and had a couple of cars parked by the doors, staff probably?). It will be nice when all of it is open, that's for sure

Does anybody have a leasing plan for it ?
I think I had one, or at least looked at one. Of course even if I knew where I saved it, it wouldn't matter seeing as I'm far, far away from my desktop.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
My parents are talking about going on the opening day to check it out. Personally I'll probably leave it a couple weeks, and even then it will just be a 'take a look around for the sake of it' visit. The only reason I can see myself really going there will be once the theatres are open, as it will actually be quicker to get there then to get to Chinook or pretty much about the same as to Country Hills (and this will be even less common once the 3 new screens in the Cochrane theatre are open later this year anyways)
The theatres at Crowfoot are much closer for you than Chinook or CH. And closer than Balzac, although nowhere near as much fun to drive to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy