HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 1:52 PM
West bench livin'

My birthday is on the 31st... It could be appropriate for me travel back to town to throw the lever for the first swipe at the Men's Macy building in honor of my birthday...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM

I work in construction, for one of the largest contractors in the country, here in Sacramento. I'm currently involved in another high profile project (railyards), and spoke with a demo contractor who recently bid the arena work. Per their contract they have 26 DAYS to remediate, abate, and demo the arena. The work has already started with locating and safing off utilities, potholing, etc.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
I work in construction, for one of the largest contractors in the country, here in Sacramento. I'm currently involved in another high profile project (railyards), and spoke with a demo contractor who recently bid the arena work. Per their contract they have 26 DAYS to remediate, abate, and demo the arena. The work has already started with locating and safing off utilities, potholing, etc.
I haven't been in that area of downtown in a few weeks, there already scaffolding around downtown plaza? And that that means its only going to take 26 days from now do complete demo DTP? I thought something like that would take a few months.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I haven't been in that area of downtown in a few weeks, there already scaffolding around downtown plaza? And that that means its only going to take 26 days from now do complete demo DTP? I thought something like that would take a few months.
On sunday you could still walk thru the ghost town side of the mall and then approach the food court and see a little business and the movies and macys.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 8:24 AM
BUFF$LUT

my friends and I held a funeral service out front of the mall over the weekend. R.I.P. DTP

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM

^Awesome-what a poignant send-off, Serg. Though, I don't see any last respects for Lids?

Glad the zombie mall is finally out of its misery. Please keep up the photo updates on the happenings there.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufbau View Post
^Awesome-what a poignant send-off, Serg. Though, I don't see any last respects for Lids?

Glad the zombie mall is finally out of its misery. Please keep up the photo updates on the happenings there.
Did you play that song from the commercial back in the day? "Downtown" by Petula Clark! Those were the good 'ol days of DTP!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:47 PM
West bench livin'

Oh egads! I still remember those blasted commercials... *sentimental sniff* I also remember foregoing the taxi running docs between the Controller's Office and the Secretary of State's office so I could walk through the construction.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 9:27 PM

Should know more by this Friday the 25th on obstacles to demolition starting. That is when there is a hearing for the opponents trying to challenge the CEQA findings. They are requesting an injunction to stop the demo of the site.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Should know more by this Friday the 25th on obstacles to demolition starting. That is when there is a hearing for the opponents trying to challenge the CEQA findings. They are requesting an injunction to stop the demo of the site.
I think because of the law recently passed by Steinberg this has nothing do with the delay in demo. I don't think injunctions are even allowed for CEQA lawsuits, or in particular the arena project.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I think because of the law recently passed by Steinberg this has nothing do with the delay in demo. I don't think injunctions are even allowed for CEQA lawsuits, or in particular the arena project.
Yeah I don't give them a snowball's chance in July that they get that injunction. SB 743 is pretty specific under what circumstances the project can be halted. Public safety kind of stuff.

Not that it would stop these guys from trying though.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 2:53 AM

Here you go:

According to @CBSSacramento: "City officials say construction should begin within the next two weeks, and a Kings spokesman says just 24-48 hours notice will be given before it begins."

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:57 AM

Within the next two weeks? If it's really two weeks that already puts us into august...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 10:27 PM

Well thats the end of that....

Quote:
Judge rejects injunction that would have blocked arena project
By Dale Kasler and Ryan Lillis

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/24/658...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Well thats the end of that....
Post-game riots!? WTF is she ON!?!!? That had some serious tinges of racism! Thankfully, she's done!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 2:19 AM

1 week to go until end of july ......

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:02 AM

Yes who could forget all the North Natomas post game riots over the last 30 years?

I wasn't worried about this lawsuit. The anti arena opposition has been a great help in sinking their own cause at just about every effort they have tried. This was just another one of those lost causes.

The last paragraph of the Bee article perhaps offers some explanation why the demolition hasn't gotten fully underway. It's a really complicated project with a lot of moving parts. It's going to happen.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Yes who could forget all the North Natomas post game riots over the last 30 years?

I wasn't worried about this lawsuit. The anti arena opposition has been a great help in sinking their own cause at just about every effort they have tried. This was just another one of those lost causes.

The last paragraph of the Bee article perhaps offers some explanation why the demolition hasn't gotten fully underway. It's a really complicated project with a lot of moving parts. It's going to happen.
I agree.

Also, on the topic of that lady...would she have said that about a baseball stadium downtown? A soccer stadium? No! She said it about an NBA stadium...a sport dominated by a color she obviously associates with riots! Petty minded and short-sighted! I am glad that judge quashed her and dismissed her for the loony she is!!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
I agree.

Also, on the topic of that lady...would she have said that about a baseball stadium downtown? A soccer stadium? No! She said it about an NBA stadium...a sport dominated by a color she obviously associates with riots! Petty minded and short-sighted! I am glad that judge quashed her and dismissed her for the loony she is!!!
well if they are still processing paper why did they even start the demo will start in june, then demo by july, then end of july.......they even have a countdown to completion on their website....so tick tick tick....I see a lot of OT for construction workers to meet this date unless they do start demo sometime in august

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:13 PM

I noticed on Friday that there was a sign up that the east garage is closed starting Monday (7/28).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area