HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
My friend told me several of the employees at the Shaw call centres in Alberta were simply biding their time to get work on the oil rigs. Of course, I have no idea if this is true or not.

As for low-paying jobs, it depends what you mean by that. Low-paying for Alberta and Vancouver...possibly. Low-paying for here, not so much. I here many of the Shaw employees make $50,000. For employees on outbound calls contacting existing Shaw customers, the base wage is not that great, but the incentives are great and from what I understand rather easily achieved.

So it's good news for Winnipeg - adding several hundred and maybe over one thousand jobs where many of the employees will be earning a real living wage. Better than the hoopla created over a new Wal-Mart or an IKEA opening where the vast majority will earn a little more than minimum wage.
Yeah, I didn't mean they were low paying overall, it is just that in Vancouver and Calgary $50,000 doesn't get you very far........Vancouver especially.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean they were low paying overall, it is just that in Vancouver and Calgary $50,000 doesn't get you very far........Vancouver especially.
I'm sure you would know more than I on the subject but isn't 50 G's pretty close to the median salary in the Greater Vancouver area? I get that kind of money doesn't get you much there, but isn't the reality of the situation - many who live and work in Vancouver can't afford houses due to the astronomical costs and have to settle for shoebox condos, apartments, and renting basement suites.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I'm sure you would know more than I on the subject but isn't 50 G's pretty close to the median salary in the Greater Vancouver area? I get that kind of money doesn't get you much there, but isn't the reality of the situation - many who live and work in Vancouver can't afford houses due to the astronomical costs and have to settle for shoebox condos, apartments, and renting basement suites.
Take a look through this table. The Vancouver CMA has always done a pretty poor job of driving decent wages.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...il107a-eng.htm

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Take a look through this table. The Vancouver CMA has always done a pretty poor job of driving decent wages.

Yup. The lowest income census division in Canada is in Vancouver (unless things have changed recently). It isn't only well off seniors who are attracted to the mild weather out there.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 1:08 AM

On that note, though, well-off seniors don't work. Vancouver's laid-back west coast lifestyle makes it a city of dog fuckers: lots of people don't work, and those who do don't work too hard. When you do find people busting their asses, they usually just moved from somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:24 PM

Peg City Car Co-op is buying three new cars today, which will bring them up to 18 spread around Downtown, West Broadway, Osborne Village, Corydon, and South Osborne. They aren't yet saying where the three new cars are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @pegcitycarcoop on Twitter
We're buying 3 NEW CARS TODAY. This is so fun! New locations to be announced by the end of the month.
https://twitter.com/pegcitycarcoop/s...23813824679937

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post

Thanks for that.

I'm surprised the average median family household income in Vancouver is lower than Winnipeg. Thought it would be the same or slightly higher in Vancouver's favour.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 4:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I have had a couple of deaths in the family recently and have used this company. Far less expensive than a typical funeral home.

http://www.integritydeathcare.com

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:47 AM

I see Bill Morrissey from Yes Winnipeg got fired, two months before his retirement was to take effect. In my experience Bill was a high performer and extremely professional. I am quite shocked actually..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I see Bill Morrissey from Yes Winnipeg got fired, two months before his retirement was to take effect. In my experience Bill was a high performer and extremely professional. I am quite shocked actually..
I've had dealings with him and he is the most passionate and friendly guy I ever met. He had a retirement date set, why let him go and tarnish his and Wpg Economic Council reputation. This is going to hurt them, Bill is very well loved in this city.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:40 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Province to be a leader in economic growth: BMO

"Manitoba’s modest direct exposure to the oil industry has influenced analysts at the Bank of Montreal (BMO) to forecast that economic growth in this province will be among the leaders in the country.

As has been the case with other forecasts, after posting very modest 1.1 per cent growth in 2014, BMO is projecting 2.3 per cent growth in 2015, third best in the country and much stronger than the national rate of 1.8 per cent growth expected this year..."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-2

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:40 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i could see this being true i could see it being higher wouldnt surprize me

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 10:18 PM

Looks like California is also demo-ing New Flyer's electric buses, but this one is hydrogen fuel cell:

Quote:
New Flyer of America Inc., a subsidiary of New Flyer Industries Inc. (“New Flyer” or the “Company”), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in the United States and Canada, announced that the California Energy Commission (“CEC”) approved a $2.1 million grant to conduct an advanced demonstration project involving a New Flyer Xcelsior® electric transit bus with a Hydrogenics CelerityPlus fuel cell.
http://www.newflyer.com/index/news-app/story.220

Also, New Flyer's stock has skyrocketed in the last week.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 7:13 PM

Investors group relocated some of their call centre operations out of One Canada Centre and into third floor office space in Portage Place.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 12:56 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Fort Garry BIZ Group?

Why has there never been a Fort Garry, Fort Richmond or St. Norbert BIZ group?

In the Fort Garry Detailed Area Plan of 1970, they made mention of the concept of a BIZ, calling it the "Norwich Plan".

The area has grown and changed over the past 45 years, and does retain some local businesses, but never a peep about a Fort Garry BIZ being created there.

Quoting from the Report:

Quote:
Beaumont

The “Norwich Plan”, which has been successful in some Canadian locations, for example,
Niagara Falls, Victoria and Oakville, is a co­operative venture of local businessmen,
local community organizations, and local government agencies to improve the ap pearance of a given street or streets in a community. The essence of the Plan is that it can be adapted to any locality as it is a proposal for improving the general appearance of a particular area in a city, without major alteration or expense, yet providing a dis­
tinctive atmosphere to the area. The success of the idea depends on the co­operation
of the majority of the business people and local government in the area. Where such a
plan has been implemented, the area concerned has experienced an improvement in busi­
ness, become a tourist attraction, and has re­awakened a spirit of community pride.
The suggestion is made that the use of the Norwich concept by local businessmen and
the Municipality may be suitable as a means of improving the appearance of the commer­
cial areas.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 9:02 PM

[QUOTE=jimj_wpg;7158354]Why has there never been a Fort Garry, Fort Richmond or St. Norbert BIZ group?

In the Fort Garry Detailed Area Plan of 1970, they made mention of the concept of a BIZ, calling it the "Norwich Plan".

QUOTE]

There is a St.Norbert BIZ group but Fort Garry and Fort Richmond are maybe too far away from the "village" feel for a sense of community to form among the businesses. The creation of a BIZ takes a lot of community legwork to get enough business owners to sign on - they are basically agreeing on a sur-tax on themselves. If you don't have a champion you don't have a BIZ.

Wow, I haven't heard it referred to as a "Norwich Plan" in a long, long time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 6:51 PM
BANNED

New Flyer acquires Motor Coach Industries in blockbuster bus deal

It’s a deal that has been contemplated for many years.

New Flyer Industries Inc. announced this morning it will buy Motor Coach Industries International Inc. for $455 million.

The blockbuster deal combines North America’s largest highway bus manufacturer (MCI) and the largest urban bus maker (New Flyer) and focuses even more of the industry on Winnipeg (MCI had been run by a management team based in a Chicago suburb.)

The deal comes one week after New Flyer released one of the most successful quarterly results in some time.

Motor Coach has its main production facility in Winnipeg, a smaller one across the border in Pembina, N.D. and a large parts distribution centre in Louisville, Ken.

It has a total of 1,500 employees, about 900 of whom are in Winnipeg.

New Flyer is saying the deal, which is to close by the end of the year, will contribute to the bottom line and has already announced that it will increase dividends by 12.9 per cent from $0.62 to $0.70 per share annually at the close of the transaction.

New Flyer management going back close to 10 years has been dreaming about this kind of deal.

Read more: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...344745292.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 7:18 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
It’s a deal that has been contemplated for many years.

New Flyer Industries Inc. announced this morning it will buy Motor Coach Industries International Inc. for $455 million.

The blockbuster deal combines North America’s largest highway bus manufacturer (MCI) and the largest urban bus maker (New Flyer) and focuses even more of the industry on Winnipeg (MCI had been run by a management team based in a Chicago suburb.)

The deal comes one week after New Flyer released one of the most successful quarterly results in some time.

Motor Coach has its main production facility in Winnipeg, a smaller one across the border in Pembina, N.D. and a large parts distribution centre in Louisville, Ken.

It has a total of 1,500 employees, about 900 of whom are in Winnipeg.

New Flyer is saying the deal, which is to close by the end of the year, will contribute to the bottom line and has already announced that it will increase dividends by 12.9 per cent from $0.62 to $0.70 per share annually at the close of the transaction.

New Flyer management going back close to 10 years has been dreaming about this kind of deal.

Read more: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...344745292.html
New Flyer is a juggernaut. In the last five years since Paul Soubry has taken over as CEO, the company has bought TCB Enterprises (LED lights, grabrails, stanchions and other bus parts and extrusions makers), Orion and NABI Bus companies, partnered with Alexander Dennis (UK Bus Manufacturer) and Marco Polo S.A. (South American Bus Manufacturer). Now it has purchased MCI. I suppose the next natural progression is to, perhaps, buy out Fort Garry Industries.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 9:38 PM

So what's going on with the Manitoba Clinic? Seems they are building a new building at Sherbrooke and Notre Dame, they replacing the old one?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
So what's going on with the Manitoba Clinic? Seems they are building a new building at Sherbrooke and Notre Dame, they replacing the old one?
their web site says they are adding 60,000 sq ft to the existing 70,000 sq ft building, so I don't think that anything is being replaced

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan