HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Also keep in mind, the CMA doesn't include Selkirk, which is another 9-10k people in what I would still consider in the "range" of the CMA area. I'm sure there are people who make the daily commute to Winnipeg, I knew people who would go to classes at the U of W even some who went to U of M (quite the drive though)

I wonder however if the CMA selection is based on whether 50% or more of the workforce commutes to the city specifically or not
For those who are interested, here are the CMA delineation rules from Statscan.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:23 AM

Stonewall is also not included in the metropolitan area which seems a bit strange. It's considered a bedroom community of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
For those who are interested, here are the CMA delineation rules from Statscan.
Thank you for this link

I wonder though, are the city stats posted earlier the same as the stats can population estimates? Or are these separate counts, either civic or based on what the province deems "CMA" Winnipeg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Stonewall is also not included in the metropolitan area which seems a bit strange. It's considered a bedroom community of Winnipeg.
Ah yes, this is also a good point. What is the population of Stonewall currently at?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:43 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Ah yes, this is also a good point. What is the population of Stonewall currently at?
4,536 as of the 2011 census
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Also keep in mind, the CMA doesn't include Selkirk, which is another 9-10k people in what I would still consider in the "range" of the CMA area. I'm sure there are people who make the daily commute to Winnipeg, I knew people who would go to classes at the U of W even some who went to U of M (quite the drive though)

I wonder however if the CMA selection is based on whether 50% or more of the workforce commutes to the city specifically or not
If the Winnipeg CMA included the area of St.Andrews Municipality:

RM St.Andrews: 16,587
Town of Selkirk: 10,013
--------
Total 27,000

794,000+27,000 = 821,000 people.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
If the Winnipeg CMA included the area of St.Andrews Municipality:

RM St.Andrews: 16,587
Town of Selkirk: 10,013
--------
Total 27,000

794,000+27,000 = 821,000 people.
I think you can confidently say the capital region has + 820,000 people. The CMA doesn't really depict the number of people in and around Winnipeg.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:52 PM

https://twitter.com/WinnipegNews/sta...61032592125952
From WFP.

Winnipeg sees surge in population growth
Posted: 02/10/2016 10:30 AM

Winnipeg’s population grew at one of the fastest rates in the country in between July 2014 and July 2015, according to new Statistics Canada data released today.

The federal agency said Winnipeg’s population grew by 1.4 per cent during the 12-month period. That left it tied with Abbotsford-Mission for the fifth-highest growth rate among the 34 Canadian Census Metropolitan Areas (CMAs) covered in the Statistics Canada survey.

Kelowna boasted the highest growth rate at 3.1 per cent.

The agency also found that international migration continues to be the main driver of population growth in Canada’s major urban centres, accounting for 60 per cent of the growth. And for the second consecutive year, the Winnipeg CMA had the highest growth rate from international migration at 1.6 per cent.

On the downside, Winnipeg, along with Saint John, also experienced the largest losses from interprovincial migration, at 0.7 per cent each, the data shows. Kelowna saw the biggest gain, at one per cent.

Statistics Canada pegged Winnipeg’s population as of July 1 of last year at 793,428. That was eighth highest among the 34 CMAs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://twitter.com/WinnipegNews/sta...61032592125952
From WFP.

Winnipeg sees surge in population growth
Posted: 02/10/2016 10:30 AM

Winnipeg’s population grew at one of the fastest rates in the country in between July 2014 and July 2015, according to new Statistics Canada data released today.

The federal agency said Winnipeg’s population grew by 1.4 per cent during the 12-month period. That left it tied with Abbotsford-Mission for the fifth-highest growth rate among the 34 Canadian Census Metropolitan Areas (CMAs) covered in the Statistics Canada survey.

Kelowna boasted the highest growth rate at 3.1 per cent.

The agency also found that international migration continues to be the main driver of population growth in Canada’s major urban centres, accounting for 60 per cent of the growth. And for the second consecutive year, the Winnipeg CMA had the highest growth rate from international migration at 1.6 per cent.

On the downside, Winnipeg, along with Saint John, also experienced the largest losses from interprovincial migration, at 0.7 per cent each, the data shows. Kelowna saw the biggest gain, at one per cent.

Statistics Canada pegged Winnipeg’s population as of July 1 of last year at 793,428. That was eighth highest among the 34 CMAs.

There's a mistake in that article. Winniepg is tied for 6th. The top 5 were:
Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Saksatoon, Regina.

I'm guessing the 2015 to 2016 numbers won't be as high for some of those top 5 given the collapse of oil.

Also interesting to note that Winnipeg gained 5,000 people over Quebec city and is now 13,000 behind them in terms of population. If growth remain the same over the next few years Winnipeg could surpass them to number 7.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:24 PM

^Yeah, I would expect the 4 AB/SK cities population growth to drop significantly 2015. Tough times right now for both those provinces. Budgets are a mess.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
There's a mistake in that article. Winniepg is tied for 6th. The top 5 were:
Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Saksatoon, Regina.

I'm guessing the 2015 to 2016 numbers won't be as high for some of those top 5 given the collapse of oil.

Also interesting to note that Winnipeg gained 5,000 people over Quebec city and is now 13,000 behind them in terms of population. If growth remain the same over the next few years Winnipeg could surpass them to number 7.
I think the two cities are closer than that. There was some articles a year or so back where I believe it was Winnipeg that had its population estimated much lower at the federal level as compared to what the province figured.

And Winnipeg has been growing faster than Quebec for several years now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Safe to say the number is now above 800,000?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:35 PM

^ Seems like only yesterday we were getting our heads around the idea of Winnipeg reaching 3/4 of a million, and now a full million is starting to appear on the horizon.

To the younger folks this may not seem remarkable but for anyone of my vintage or older, it is amazing to see this kind of growth after it seemed like forever that we were stuck around 600,000 while other cities passed us when it came to population count... the figure even declined once or twice in the 90s. Quite a change, especially given that Winnipeg hasn't been propped up by a resource boom that would serve as a natural magnet the way it has in some other cities.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Seems like only yesterday we were getting our heads around the idea of Winnipeg reaching 3/4 of a million, and now a full million is starting to appear on the horizon.

To the younger folks this may not seem remarkable but for anyone of my vintage or older, it is amazing to see this kind of growth after it seemed like forever that we were stuck around 600,000 while other cities passed us when it came to population count... the figure even declined once or twice in the 90s. Quite a change, especially given that Winnipeg hasn't been propped up by a resource boom that would serve as a natural magnet the way it has in some other cities.
For so many years, even after we reached 700,000 so many people would still say "a city of 600,000..." That made me crazy. Now, all I want to hear is "a city approaching 1 million..."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
For so many years, even after we reached 700,000 so many people would still say "a city of 600,000..." That made me crazy. Now, all I want to hear is "a city approaching 1 million..."
Well, it's not entirely inaccurate given that the city population is 663,617 as of 2011. If it cracked 700,000, it was probably very recently.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:39 PM

I think we determined it cracked 700k about 1-1.5 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, it's not entirely inaccurate given that the city population is 663,617 as of 2011. If it cracked 700,000, it was probably very recently.
OK, so in my mind we were. LOL

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:21 PM
Dérive-r

Winnipeg's growth is quite impressive. The city really seems to have reached a turning point, which is great to see after decades of stagnation. I only moved to Winnipeg a couple years ago but things seem to be going really well here with all the great new developments, eateries, initiatives, etc. around the city and some great proposals coming up. I've found Winnipeg to be really underrated having moved here from Vancouver. It seems like a place with a lot of potential and a bright future as long as it can keep its current momentum going.

It's great that international immigration has been healthy here, but it would be really nice if interprovincial outmigration could be stemmed. Hopefully as the city continues to grow, diversify, and develop, its image and urban experience will improve to the point where it can retain more people, and maybe even attract more people from elsewhere in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
Winnipeg's growth is quite impressive. The city really seems to have reached a turning point, which is great to see after decades of stagnation. I only moved to Winnipeg a couple years ago but things seem to be going really well here with all the great new developments, eateries, initiatives, etc. around the city and some great proposals coming up. I've found Winnipeg to be really underrated having moved here from Vancouver. It seems like a place with a lot of potential and a bright future as long as it can keep its current momentum going.

It's great that international immigration has been healthy here, but it would be really nice if interprovincial outmigration could be stemmed. Hopefully as the city continues to grow, diversify, and develop, its image and urban experience will improve to the point where it can retain more people, and maybe even attract more people from elsewhere in Canada.
Many of us are waiting anxiously to witness a new provincial government. Once the NDP is out, I feel confident that the economy of Winnipeg will grow, as new investment is attracted. Those of have returned from Alberta and Saskatchewan, as well as skilled immigrants will hopefully stay if they can find good-paying jobs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Many of us are waiting anxiously to witness a new provincial government. Once the NDP is out, I feel confident that the economy of Winnipeg will grow, as new investment is attracted. Those of have returned from Alberta and Saskatchewan, as well as skilled immigrants will hopefully stay if they can find good-paying jobs.
We'll all be living in lollypop land and everyone will live forever!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Flippant, eh? Could you reimburse me all of the extra PST money I have spent since it was introduced? No?

Increased investment equals increased employment opportunities minus the speNDP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan