HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 5:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I've given up on the river, just sold the boat. Of course this is the first year of many we may actualy have a good Red River.
I live close to the river and the boat traffic is a fraction of what it was ten years ago and even that was a fraction of what it was prior to the '97 flood when everyone lost their docks.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:07 PM

So giving up on the River and then what? Move further into Winnipeg. Or off to Dauphin, Minnedosa, or Brandon?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I live close to the river and the boat traffic is a fraction of what it was ten years ago and even that was a fraction of what it was prior to the '97 flood when everyone lost their docks.
That is such a shame. When I took to riverboat to IGF for the Banjo Bowl a few years ago I was very envious of your urban river and especially the private docks and boats in peoples' back yards!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:37 PM

Does anybody know if the Paddlewheel owner ever sold his boats? Last I saw was the ad's that they were for sale last year.

With some luck the river taxi group should have a good year for their service and their tour packages.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:18 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
So giving up on the River and then what? Move further into Winnipeg. Or off to Dauphin, Minnedosa, or Brandon?
My future intentions are not to be discussed here, the subject makes people angry. If you want to know, PM me.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Does anybody know if the Paddlewheel owner ever sold his boats? Last I saw was the ad's that they were for sale last year.

With some luck the river taxi group should have a good year for their service and their tour packages.
They are for sale but they will likely suffer the same fate as the Lord Selkirk. The pontoon boat tours at The Forks are a far more efficient business model and will continue to succeed especially if the river behaves.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:32 PM

Although maybe one has a purpose? I mean the Saskatoon Prairie Lily is running strong. I quite enjoy that trip Once while riding on it we interrupted a jet ski race, and since we were the larger less maneuverable boat it was interesting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:34 PM

One thing that may not be clear about Winnipeg's waterways. River level fluctuate highly throughout the season. Spring they can be at astronomical flood levels. drop heading into summer, then shoot back up from a rain storm, then drop again. Hard to run a business with those large boats when you're stranded at the dock for most of the year. It's fun to go for a cruise no doubt.

This is where the need for some type of control structure at the floodway inlet comes in. High levels coming down the Assinniboine is a whole other story that is highly contentious with some rural folks.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One thing that may not be clear about Winnipeg's waterways. River level fluctuate highly throughout the season. Spring they can be at astronomical flood levels. drop heading into summer, then shoot back up from a rain storm, then drop again. Hard to run a business with those large boats when you're stranded at the dock for most of the year. It's fun to go for a cruise no doubt.

This is where the need for some type of control structure at the floodway inlet comes in. High levels coming down the Assinniboine is a whole other story that is highly contentious with some rural folks.
I can imagine so, and with the Weir in Saskatoon that keeps the levels of the river at a minimum level all year.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
AND... the thread pops back to life...

Manitoban's be like...

Love this animated .gif..It tells a lot about the people in Manitoba but also our neighbors next door. Adversity due to our location(s) has made us a tough bunch when it comes to our geographical location..

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 8:55 PM

Generally a positive outlook...shaping up to be a great spring...

By: Bartley Kives

The flood risk in Manitoba has gone from low to even lower, as most of the spring snowmelt has already taken place....

The March flood outlook from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation's hydrologic forecasr cente calls for a minimal risk of flooding throughout the province.....

The Red River, meanwhile, has crested and the province doesn't expect to operate the Red River Floodway.....

Con't @ http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-2

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Generally a positive outlook...shaping up to be a great spring...

By: Bartley Kives

The flood risk in Manitoba has gone from low to even lower, as most of the spring snowmelt has already taken place....

The March flood outlook from Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation's hydrologic forecasr cente calls for a minimal risk of flooding throughout the province.....

The Red River, meanwhile, has crested and the province doesn't expect to operate the Red River Floodway.....

Con't @ http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...urce=d-tiles-2
That is great news! When was the last time the Floodway wasn't opened?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 9:40 PM

Quote:
That is great news! When was the last time the Floodway wasn't opened?

Not sure exactly, It's been several years at least.. Sask's outlook looks good as well, let's hope for no late spring storms....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:35 PM

Too early? I know, most people dislike this thread, but we live at the bottom of an ancient lake...(still feels like it)..

Low to moderator this year? Is Sask. fairly clear of snow to this point? I believe someone mentioned it's eerily similar to 97..everything looked good until we got a major dump of snow..

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Too early? I know, most people dislike this thread, but we live at the bottom of an ancient lake...(still feels like it)..

Low to moderator this year? Is Sask. fairly clear of snow to this point? I believe someone mentioned it's eerily similar to 97..everything looked good until we got a major dump of snow..
SW Manitoba and SE SK is pretty much snow free already, I know the forecast is for no spring flooding but it seems to me things were still pretty wet in the fall and a good rain can change things pretty quick!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:

There has been literally zero snow in the Regina area for weeks. Lakes and reservoirs are down and have lots of capacity to absorb a surge.

The ground is pretty saturated and sloughs are still pretty full compared to the long term historical situation.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 6:14 PM

Pretty much everything south to west of Manitoba is snow free, including everything SW of Brandon. North Dakota was +20c a few days ago, no snow. Southern Manitoba will likely be mostly snow free after the weekend.

I was say there is a low risk of flooding, unless we get dumped on like 97.

A couple sat photos posted by Rob's Obs on Twitter. Shows how little snow there is left in the areas mentioned. Everything white still has snow cover, non-white area have no snow.

Good local weather account from a guy who lives in Charleswood.
https://twitter.com/robsobs

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:05 PM

^ So we get a year off from flood-induced budgetary overspending? Wheeeeee!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:26 PM

Let's hope haha Keep in mind MIT is still pushing ahead with making permanent the emergency channel they built a couple years back, as well as another expensive channel to get to Lake St. Martin.

Report here for info.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/floodinfo/...toryboards.pdf

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I believe someone mentioned it's eerily similar to 97..everything looked good until we got a major dump of snow..
It's nothing like 97. That was a brutal winter with a snowstorm every week. There was already going to be a major flood even before the major dump of snow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan