HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 8:07 PM

Also, DSW Shoes moved as well. I often thought that the shopping center where the shoe store and circuit city was didn't get a lot of traffic because it was fairly hard to get to coming off of 183 north or 360.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 8:12 PM

The circle of retail life. I'm sure some other big box will come in and take the space that the ones moving leave... after all, both Circuit City and Best Buy were in their 2nd locations in that area. The Circuit City was on the other side of 183 where the Petco is, and Best Buy was where the Golfsmith store was.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 8:14 PM

There are plans... that were posted on this forum a long time ago showing how parking lots west of mopac/ would be converted to vmu low rise uses with integrated parking. Essentially creating a retrofit Domain... this was 10-20 years out... but I believe still the plan. They will have to do something like this to maintain competitive positions.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
Also, DSW Shoes moved as well. I often thought that the shopping center where the shoe store and circuit city was didn't get a lot of traffic because it was fairly hard to get to coming off of 183 north or 360.
I always thought it was awkward to get to also. Mainly because TxDot didn't continue the US183 access lanes across MoPac.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 9:28 PM

The whole Braker/183 interchange is going through the typical suburban sprawl clear-out; traffic got so bad there for large parts of the day that the retail was choking itself. (Problem, again, with TXDOT's idiotic insistence on frontage roads everywhere - the intersection basically fell over completely; which is no small part of why it's being abandoned by so many retailers now that there are other options).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 9:51 PM

The 360/183 intersection was the worst. People having to cross over 4 lanes of the frontage road to get over into the Gateway shopping center.

Oddly, though, both Circuit City and Best Buy chose those newer Gateway centers even though their existing locations (183 & Great Hills and 360/183 but on the other side of the horrible intersection) had easier access and were basically the same location.

I see the exact same thing traffic thing happening Arbor Walk... not so much with the Domain, yet.

My guess is the newer developments offer these big box retailers (the ones they want) with teaser deals in exchange for 5 year leases. Then they can get the anchor tenants they need to sell out the development, or lock in the investment needed for construction.

Either that, or these big retailers feel the newer locations are necessary to maintain the desirability of the store, so they move to the new strip mall even if it is just across the street. They don't want to be stuck in a dying strip mall; they want the prime space in the area, before it gets taken by someone else.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 11:49 PM
Meh

That whole shopping center is difficult to navigate also. Besides getting into it, the place is always a mad house and is really packed even on off times. Thank god for the REI and Whole Foods in downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I havn't been up to the Domain recently, how much progress are the on the next phase?
they have some mesh fencing up and it looks like they are doing some sitework. We moved our offices last Friday, I already know the area could use some eating establishments other than the $15 and up burger joints. Hopefully the newer phases will have more varied offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
I was looking through the website at the buildings that were never built in Austin and there was supposed to be 2 24 story office towers up around Gateway they were gunna be called One and Two Stonebridge Gateway Tower and there was also supposed to be a 15 story Lincoln hotel too part of the Stonebridge Gateway Galleria. Does anyone know what it's talking about the Stonebridge Gateway Galleria? was Gateway supposed to be a Galleria mall like in Houston and Dallas? cause it's not called a Galleria now.
My former employer did the Stonebridge buildings along with the Arboretum and many of the office buildings around it, the ones that were built were shorter than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
CompUSA closed its doors nationwide and Whole Foods is moving to new digs across MoPac.
Well, they kind of did, there is still a CompUSA, both online and physical stores. A company bought them and kept some markets open and closed in others. CompUSA.com has a listing of new store openings.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:50 PM

Interesting article in Variety about the movie theater chain that will be opening at The Domain. I wonder if they'll have this $35/ticket rate in Austin?

http://www.variety.com/VR1117982907.html

Quote:
Filmgoers get a taste of the good life
Luxury exhib chain plans $35 film tickets
By MARC GRASER
A recession may be looming, but a group of investors thinks Americans are ready to pony up $35 for a movie ticket.
Village Roadshow Ltd., Act III, Lambert Entertainment and the Retirement Systems of Alabama pension fund have partnered to bring the luxury cinema circuit Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinemas to the U.S.

The partners will spend $200 million to build 50 theaters nationwide over the next five years, with the first two venues set to open in South Barrington, a suburb of Chicago, and the Seattle suburb of Redmond in October. Others are planned for Fairview, Texas, near Dallas-Fort Worth, and Scottsdale, Ariz.

Each complex will sport theaters featuring 40 reclining armchair seats with footrests, digital projection and the capability to screen 2-D and 3-D movies, as well as a lounge and bar serving cocktails and appetizers, a concierge service and valet parking.

But the circuit will especially push its culinary offerings -- made-to-order meals like sushi and other theater-friendly foods from on-site chefs (a service button at each seat calls a waiter). Moviegoers will have to pay extra for any food they order, however.

The Burbank-based company's hoping to attract 10 million "upscale and affluent" consumers per year to its theaters that will be housed in high-end shopping centers and malls. Each complex will typically house eight screens....

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:02 PM

I would never pay $35 to see a movie plus food costs?! I really think most Austinites would laugh at the idea and just go to the drafthouse.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Yea I agree, Alamo Draft house is just great, why would people want to pay 35 dollars for most of the things we can get at Alamo Draft house now.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 10:55 PM
BANNED

This type of business model would only work on the scale they are proposing in great economic times. I can see a handful of these theaters being successful in places not hit hard by a recession. But the Alamo would be pretty stiff competition for them in Austin in good times as well as bad times.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:10 AM
Meh

35$? Ok, it's their funeral. Remember a few years back with all the news of movie theatres over building and struggling to fill them? Seems like they're getting ballsy again.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:17 AM
Closed account

Yeah my dad's company has his offices in Stonebridge Plaza.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:01 PM
Closed account

one master planned area that is kinda like a downtone is Greenway Plaza in Houston it was master planned.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:02 PM
Closed account

Downtown

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

Luxury movie theaters?

Austin, you don't want to be in league with Redmond.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:01 AM

I don't know about the whole luxury theater it might work because one thing I know is that alamo draft house is anti kids so if this place isn't people might go their just so they can take their kids.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 6:05 AM

The reason theaters are having problems being filled is because they are so crappy. It seems that now days they forget to put in surround sound that is up to par. If they wan't theaters filled maby they shoud be more luxurious because I know I would deffinently be willing to pay 35 dollars to get HD surround sound and better picture quality while still getting a bite to eat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin