HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

and by the '70s the USPS was building shit-burgers like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9686...7i16384!8i8192

once upon a time they actually gave a shit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0471...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and by the '70s the USPS was building shit-burgers like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9686...7i16384!8i8192

once upon a time they actually gave a shit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0471...7i16384!8i8192
Did the USPS actually build that turd or just move in. Take away the sign and it could be any of a million doctor's offices or insurance agencies in the US.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^they built it after they moved out of the old lincoln square post office that was subsequently demolished.

and the site of the old post office in lincoln square is now a strip mall!!!

man, the '70s were just so chock-full of good ideas and decisions.

the original lincoln square post office:

source: https://forgottenchicago.com/articles/pony-express/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Uggg, yea I hate that Lincoln Square post office from the 70's. And the one that demolished was so nice for a ugly strip mall, what a travesty. I prefer going to the Uptown Post Office now.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 1:03 AM

Was surfing the internet and found a blog talking about 5 CTA stations that badly need renovations. To no surprise, Clinton Blue Line was one of them. Fortunately, as a part of the Forest Park renovation they plan to build an entrance in front of the Post Office

https://www.metroblog.us/2019/09/5-c...e-need-of.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:13 AM

Cool find rg34

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Was surfing the internet and found a blog talking about 5 CTA stations that badly need renovations. To no surprise, Clinton Blue Line was one of them. Fortunately, as a part of the Forest Park renovation they plan to build an entrance in front of the Post Office

https://www.metroblog.us/2019/09/5-c...e-need-of.html
The linked article also mentions the LaSalle Clinton stop. This is a disaster of a stop. Another one with a long platform leading nowhere, and no access from the street that doesn't involve stairs - 26 of them, I've counted. It is described as often desolate, but I don't know what the author is talking about. As more and more housing units come online is serves as a primary stop for Sloopers coming and going from ORD. Bury prime time it's very busy and during off hours it seems busier that those desolated stations the train passes through further north. It isn't traveler friendly - not only are the steps daunting, but the turnstiles are too narrow for a standard suitcase so you need to do the "get the attendant to open the gate, shove your bag through and then go through the turnstile before retrieving it." routine. With all those units opening on Wells, it would seem a prime place to add an exit from the West side of the platform, but I have no idea how they'd fit it in.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 6:09 PM

Steely Dan,

I can see at least an attempt at architectural language and interesting geometries in that post office design, even if it fails to create a memorable presence or convey civic power. This thing across the street though is a complete abomination of architecture and urban planning:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9685...7i16384!8i8192

Like, who comes up with this trash?

The post office is a beautiful expression of function, careful proportion, and limited ornament where it can really make a statement in a way that most contemporary buildings just don't seem to be able to muster up.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Steely Dan,

I can see at least an attempt at architectural language and interesting geometries in that post office design, even if it fails to create a memorable presence or convey civic power. This thing across the street though is a complete abomination of architecture and urban planning:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9685...7i16384!8i8192

Like, who comes up with this trash?

The post office is a beautiful expression of function, careful proportion, and limited ornament where it can really make a statement in a way that most contemporary buildings just don't seem to be able to muster up.
That whole section of Lawrence is terrible. Except HarvestTime of course. It's the best grocery! Oh and Hellenic Bakery and Goosefoot

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:00 PM

With all the news of move-ins, etc. I was reminded of the piece of property West of Canal and North of Harrison. This is the Holiday Inn, the sad little shopping strip on Harrison and the Parking lot.

There was speculation awhile back that at least the Holiday Inn was for sale. Is there any news?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
With all the news of move-ins, etc. I was reminded of the piece of property West of Canal and North of Harrison. This is the Holiday Inn, the sad little shopping strip on Harrison and the Parking lot.

There was speculation awhile back that at least the Holiday Inn was for sale. Is there any news?
I have bookmarked this 1/18/2018 news https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221...=CHRONOLOGICAL

601W bought the parking lot. But as far as Holiday Inn, I never heard the possible sale.

Back to 2015:

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...he-south-loop/
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...wellness-trend
https://beitlerre.com/development/un...elopment/dual/

there was proposal for new hotels on Wells between Ida B. Wells Drive and Harrison where the Hunter Building is sitting now. The hotel was intended to be a Holiday Inn Express+Staybridge Suites dual brand. But there was no further news after that. Maybe Post Office can bring this back to live? If that happens, the current Holiday Inn may go for sale.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 8:31 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Post office owners just bought more property close by.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...around-project

October 17, 2019 11:50 AM

Old Post Office developer eyes another big turnaround project

601W is upping its bet on the southwest Loop's renaissance with a deal to buy a sprawling Canal Street office building slated to be empty in a year.

As it prepares to welcome tenants to the Old Post Office after an $800 million-plus overhaul, developer 601W has lined up another big project just a block away.

The New York-based firm is under contract to pay around $67 million for the 575,000-square-foot office building at 801 S. Canal St., according to sources familiar with the deal.

The pending sale at roughly $115 per square foot tees up another bold bet on the southwest Loop for 601W, which set off a renaissance along the South Branch of the Chicago River by turning the mammoth Old Post Office into a modern office building and inking leases there with a slew of prominent tenants.

The sprawling building it is now poised to buy stretches almost a full city block along Canal Street between Polk and Taylor streets. It will soon be empty and in need of a face-lift. Chicago-based Northern Trust has leased the six-story property since the owners, a group now led by real estate investor Paul Gearen, developed it for the bank in 1990. But Northern Trust is moving out in October 2020 after its current lease expires, part of a consolidation of some of its downtown offices into space at 333 S. Wabash Ave.

That gives 601W a little less than a year's worth of rent to tide it over and decide what it wants to do with the building and the surface parking lot along its south end, which could also be developed, according to a marketing flyer for the property.

The building will serve as a bellwether for how hot the southwest Loop can get as tenants file into the Post Office and capital pours into a pocket of downtown that has labored to establish itself as a corporate destination.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
Wow. That was a pretty glowing review from Blair. Pretty rare for him.

"what has transpired so far at 433 W. Van Buren St. is a near-miracle"

"The entrance serves as a warm-up for the ballgown-beautiful grandeur of the main lobby, a dazzling, soaring space outfitted with restored geometric lanterns, walls of fluted marble and gold mosaic tile, as well as decorative panels that illustrate the march of transportation advances (from pony express to airplane) that sped delivery of the mail. The lobby, which is open to the public, communicates a faith in government that seems lost today. Gensler and the Evanston firm of McGuire, Igleski & Associates handled this portion of the restoration with skill and sensitivity"

"What’s already compelling is the revival of this building, which, as recently as a few years ago, was considered an irredeemable white elephant. Now that the project has reached the milestone of taking in its first tenants, it seems as meaningful to Chicago as the transformation of industrial-era transportation infrastructure like elevated freight lines, docks and railroads into the green spaces of The 606, the downtown riverwalk and Millennium Park. "

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
was a good read

makes me want to go see it for myself

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
was a good read

makes me want to go see it for myself
The building is open tomorrow as part of OHC but will be closed Sunday.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:28 PM

A relocation from within the city but still good news for this development in and of itself

Staffing firm set to join Old Post Office party

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...t-office-party

Quote:
Tacoma, Wash.-based TrueBlue is closing in on a deal to relocate its Chicago office to nearly 90,000 square feet in the redeveloped behemoth, sources familiar with negotiations said. TrueBlue would move from a pair of buildings near Goose Island to the Old Post Office, which is set to open its doors in a little over a week.

601W has signed or is finalizing leases for 75 percent of the 2.5 million-square-foot building before it opens, according to leasing company Telos Group. That tenant roster includes names like Uber Technologies, Walgreens Boots Alliance and the Chicago Board Options Exchange, among others that have flocked to the burgeoning southwest corner of the Loop.

TrueBlue, which operates a few of its recruitment and staffing brands out of buildings at 860 W. Evergreen Ave. and 1333 N. Kingsbury St. in the North Branch Industrial Corridor, is now poised to join the mix. TrueBlue took control of those spaces when it acquired Chicago-based recruiting and staffing company Seaton for $310 million in 2014. Seaton at the time had 960 employees in the city and more than 100,000 square feet of offices near Goose Island.

Moving to the Post Office would bring it closer to one of its high-profile new partners in Uber

Telos Group President Brian Whiting said earlier this week that companies that have committed to the building will eventually bring more than 10,000 employees there daily, and that some 4,900 jobs will be coming from outside the city of Chicago or projected new hires.

TrueBlue is an example of the latter. Its departure from the North Branch—which is poised to become a more popular office user destination in its own right—leaves Chicago-based developer R2 hunting for new tenants to fill its space. R2

A source familiar with the Evergreen building said R2 has had discussions with multiple tenants about backfilling TrueBlue's offices.

"The building is an irreplaceable unicorn," R2 Managing Principal Matt Garrison said in a statement. "It will lease quickly."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:07 AM

318 N Carpenter

...wt....

Last edited by harryc; Oct 25, 2019 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:13 AM

^^ well that was uneventful, Harry

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:02 AM

Oct 19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development