HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 4:41 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
I spent a few days in Stockton a couple years ago when my wife had some training she had to attend. The downtown area has a lot of potential and it does look as though some progress was made from what I remember of it back in the early 90’s when I stopped on my way to Sacramento.

My few days in Stockton a few years ago, I toured the north part of the city mostly. I guess because I went in with little expectation I was pleasantly surprised. Stockton feels like a much bigger city than it really is, it definitely feels larger in a sense than Fresno even though that city is larger and more spread out and probably have better looking neighborhoods. I think it’s the built environment that makes it feel larger, plus the downtown I believe is bigger than Fresno.

I do you believe Stockton has the potential to be a more interesting city than Fresno. It’s an older looking city but it also has a lot of decay that reminds you sort of like a rust belt or decaying northeastern city. I drove through some areas that was quite scary looking, and this is coming from someone who grew up in the Watts neighborhood of south central Los Angeles near the Jordan Downs projects.

I really liked the area around the Haggin Museum, and I would have liked to visit but it was close on the days I was in town. My son and I did get a chance to visit the park around the museum twice and we really enjoyed that. My wife and I ask enjoyed visiting local shops nearby. Unfortunately we were standing on the south end of town near the airport. It wasn’t run down but there really wasn’t anything in that area today I will head to the north side of town. Driving in the freeway through the city reminded me a lot of again like a rust belt city for north eastern city and had a big city feel to it. The city has a river running through the middle of it right into downtown. I think that’s one of it’s biggest assets, and it also has an inland port. The city has great potential should take advantage of that. There is also an inland port which is kind of weird being that this is a city that’s not on the coast.
Yeah I'd say Stockton has huge potential with the deep water port (which is better than Sac's) and especially around the downtown area. There's a bit of empty lots in downtown around the waterfront that would be perfect for some towers, especially with the transit services close by. Ferry service would be something to consider for them as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
When I lived in New York; I had only been to NYC once as a kid, Rochester a few times also as a kid and never to Buffalo. I've seen more of NY since I moved away. When I lived in NY, only went to Erie, as a kid, but since visited pretty much all of PA's big and medium sized towns since I've been in TX.
Yeah, it's interesting how interstate regional connections are often stronger than intrastate ones. As a kid growing up in Erie, I had been to Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and State College (aside from small places in western PA), and then to Philadelphia later as a teen. But nowhere else in terms of the larger places in PA.

However, I had been to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Binghamton, Albany, Schenectady, Olean, Elmira, and NYC and other smaller places throughout NY. All before I had ever been to PA cities like Reading, Williamsport, Lehigh Valley, Scranton-WB, Johnstown, Altoona, Lancaster-York (which I still have never visited, but need to!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
Guilty as charged! Never been to Erie. It is on my hit list of places to visit though. One of these summers, I have to take a weekend trip up and check out the city, maybe take in a SeaWolves game and enjoy Presque Isle State Park. I have not visited Johnstown either, but other than those two I have been to all of Pennsylvania's other MSAs.
Summer is the best time to go! July and August, especially (the waters off Erie are really warm usually by mid-July... low 80s). I would definitely recommend a baseball game -- it's a nice minor league park right downtown, so there's lots of bars/breweries/restaturants within close proximity. And Presque Isle is pretty much the best thing about Erie, so it's a must do when there. There's definitely a lot to do in the Erie-Chautauqua region in the summer.

The city of Erie is pretty rough. Things are looking up with a lot of downtown and bayfront investment happening... but it's rough and rusty as hell in much of the core. If you ever make a trip, PM me and I'm happy to give you some native recs!

Johnstown has some cool history, a few things to do, some great industrial-era architedcture, and it's in close proximity to some nice natural areas in the Laurel Highlands. I don't know that it's a place that I would go too far out of my way to visit... but like most of us on here, I'm fascinated by urban settlements regardless of their current conditions. The downtown is pretty depressing and dead (at least it was 2 years ago when I was last there). I would say Johnstown is more of a pop-in, afternoon visit type place... check out the Flood Museum, ride the incline, have a bite and beer, and get out of town.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:25 PM

The only one I haven't been to is Timmins. When I was in the other Northern Ontario metros it didn't feel like I was in my own province though since it's so different up there.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The city of Erie is pretty rough.
I made a left turn at Erie once back in the early 80s. That was on a drive from Toronto back to Houston. Can’t say I remember a thing about it, though a little later on during the drive I did make the detour off the interstate to get a first glimpse of Pittsburgh. Driving in a tunnel through a mountain (big hill?) then suddenly emerging into daylight on a bridge over a river with Downtown Pittsburgh straight ahead was definitely one of the most dramatic and memorable entrances to any city I've ever experienced. The city was totally blocked from view when I entered that tunnel and as such was totally unexpected when coming back out.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 13, 2021 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I made a left turn at Erie once back in the early 80s. That was on a drive from Toronto back to Houston. Can’t say I remember a thing about it, though a little later on during the drive I did make the detour off the interstate to get a first glimpse of Pittsburgh. Driving in a tunnel through a mountain (big hill?) then suddenly emerging into daylight on a bridge over a river with Downtown Pittsburgh straight ahead was definitely one of the most dramatic and memorable entrances to any city I've ever experienced. The city was totally blocked from view when I entered that tunnel and as such was totally unexpected when coming back out.
Ha! Back in the early 80s, heading south from Toronto, a turn off I-90 onto an Erie exit would have left you well south of the city in a semi-rural area before it became chain store sprawl hell in the 90s. And turn off of I-79 back then would have likely left you in one of the most hardcore and seemingly endless industrial corridors in the nation.

Yes, Pittsburgh has a few “entrances”, but none as dramatic as the one heading north through the Ft. Pitt Tunnels and over the Monongahela into downtown.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's interesting how interstate regional connections are often stronger than intrastate ones. As a kid growing up in Erie, I had been to Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and State College (aside from small places in western PA), and then to Philadelphia later as a teen. But nowhere else in terms of the larger places in PA.

However, I had been to Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Ithaca, Binghamton, Albany, Schenectady, Olean, Elmira, and NYC and other smaller places throughout NY. All before I had ever been to PA cities like Reading, Williamsport, Lehigh Valley, Scranton-WB, Johnstown, Altoona, Lancaster-York (which I still have never visited, but need to!).

Summer is the best time to go! July and August, especially (the waters off Erie are really warm usually by mid-July... low 80s). I would definitely recommend a baseball game -- it's a nice minor league park right downtown, so there's lots of bars/breweries/restaturants within close proximity. And Presque Isle is pretty much the best thing about Erie, so it's a must do when there. There's definitely a lot to do in the Erie-Chautauqua region in the summer.

The city of Erie is pretty rough. Things are looking up with a lot of downtown and bayfront investment happening... but it's rough and rusty as hell in much of the core. If you ever make a trip, PM me and I'm happy to give you some native recs!

Johnstown has some cool history, a few things to do, some great industrial-era architedcture, and it's in close proximity to some nice natural areas in the Laurel Highlands. I don't know that it's a place that I would go too far out of my way to visit... but like most of us on here, I'm fascinated by urban settlements regardless of their current conditions. The downtown is pretty depressing and dead (at least it was 2 years ago when I was last there). I would say Johnstown is more of a pop-in, afternoon visit type place... check out the Flood Museum, ride the incline, have a bite and beer, and get out of town.
My stepmom is from Erie. Said it's always been rough around the edges or at least when she was growing up. Glad to hear that it's trying to make a comeback.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
In PA, the most common metro PA residents haven’t been to is very likely Erie, given its location in the NW corner. For me, have never been to Lancaster-York area.

In FL, never been to Gainesville.
Yep hahahaha. Literally the only Metro area in the state of PA I haven't been to is Erie.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, Pittsburgh has a few “entrances”, but none as dramatic as the one heading north through the Ft. Pitt Tunnels and over the Monongahela into downtown.
Honestly, I think my heart skipped a beat I was so startled by it. I think I remember the bridge being painted yellow, but I'm not sure about that.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 1:25 AM

I have been to all the Metropolitan areas in my state. However, there is one Micropolitan area I have not yet been to and that is the Vernal area.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:30 AM
Great White Norf

The only areas I would consider a Metro in Ontario that I haven't been to are London (CMA pop 551k) and Windsor (357k)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 9:01 AM
them bones

I’ve travelled all the MSAs in California pretty extensively except Chico. I’ve never had occasion to go there.

Of the other 3 states I lived in, I’ve been to all of the MSAs in Arizona (probably multiple times), only Tulsa and OKC in Oklahoma, and I think I’ve at least passed through each of those in Michigan but not spent a ton of time in any of them outside of SE Michigan.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 11:54 AM
The New Republic

Ontario has 16 metropolitan areas. The only ones I've not been to are Windsor, Brantford, and Belleville. Even there, I've driven by Brantford on the highway and stopped for gas on the outskirts of Belleville.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've been to Greater Napanee. There is nothing Greater than Napanee.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 3:57 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
i remember the first time i drove into pittsburgh that way as well.

the only thing comparable ive experience since is maybe the lincoln tunnel from newark or the golden gate (but theres no tunnel and BOOM) edit: actually i think the 101 does have a tunnel but you dont pop out in downtown. cincinnati has some interesting approaches. most u.s. cities have some skyline glimpse from a distance - especially chicago.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 4:56 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I’ve travelled all the MSAs in California pretty extensively except Chico. I’ve never had occasion to go there.

Of the other 3 states I lived in, I’ve been to all of the MSAs in Arizona (probably multiple times), only Tulsa and OKC in Oklahoma, and I think I’ve at least passed through each of those in Michigan but not spent a ton of time in any of them outside of SE Michigan.
Chico is out of the way, but if you're ever in the vicinity it's a great little city. Cal State Chico has a nice leafy campus and a couple of beautiful historic buildings, and is adjacent to the lively (non-COVID) downtown that packs a bunch of restaurants and bars between the university and the town square. Plus Bidwell Park, which stretches from downtown all the way up into the Cascadian foothills, is really an amazing amenity for a city of that size--in addition to jogging and biking paths, Big Chico Creek is channeled through a big open air swimming pool just east of downtown, and you can hike ten miles one way into the hills without leaving the park.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:20 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Better hurry because Chico is gonna be a micropolitan area soon, not that there's anything wrong with that. Napa is incredibly happy, no doubt, getting downgraded so they can maintain a "rural" atmosphere and not upgrade any infrastructure.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Chico is out of the way, but if you're ever in the vicinity it's a great little city. Cal State Chico has a nice leafy campus and a couple of beautiful historic buildings, and is adjacent to the lively (non-COVID) downtown that packs a bunch of restaurants and bars between the university and the town square. Plus Bidwell Park, which stretches from downtown all the way up into the Cascadian foothills, is really an amazing amenity for a city of that size--in addition to jogging and biking paths, Big Chico Creek is channeled through a big open air swimming pool just east of downtown, and you can hike ten miles one way into the hills without leaving the park.
I concur. Chico is indeed a nice little city. I probably would not have gone there if it weren't for my sister and her husband, who moved there oh, 9 or 10 years ago (my most recent visit there was last September). The Sierra Nevada Brewing Company is from there, and of course my sis and her hubby have taken me to eat there a few times (Sierra Nevada also has a restaurant, as well as a brewery tour and tasting, which I've never done).

I probably couldn't live in Chico, though---it's too "small town" for me. Hehe I could barely handle living in Santa Barbara full time when I went to school there for a year. And Chico's weather is basically like Sacramento's.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I've seen much of Southern California including the CV..and Needles. How many people have been fucking to Needles? As well as up to the SF Bay Area up into the Napa Valley area. California is just long and takes several trips to see further flung areas. I will be 87 by the time I visit Eureka.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
My stepmom is from Erie. Said it's always been rough around the edges or at least when she was growing up. Glad to hear that it's trying to make a comeback.
Yeah, “rough around the edges” is a good descriptor. Definitely has a bit of an edge to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yep hahahaha. Literally the only Metro area in the state of PA I haven't been to is Erie.
It might as well be on another planet for the majority of the state’s population! Erie County and the surrounding NW PA region is just so much more connected with western/upstate NY than it is to the rest of PA. Most Pennsylvanias feel like it’s so remote... and it is... within the context of imaginary state lines on a map. Pittsburgh is actually a more remote location, along with other smaller metro areas in the state.

Quote:
Honestly, I think my heart skipped a beat I was so startled by it. I think I remember the bridge being painted yellow, but I'm not sure about that.
Aztec Yellow, to be specific. Have no idea why it’s called that, but many of Pittsburgh’s downtown “Golden Triangle” bridges are painted that color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i remember the first time i drove into pittsburgh that way as well.

the only thing comparable ive experience since is maybe the lincoln tunnel from newark or the golden gate (but theres no tunnel and BOOM) edit: actually i think the 101 does have a tunnel but you dont pop out in downtown. cincinnati has some interesting approaches. most u.s. cities have some skyline glimpse from a distance - especially chicago.
I’m think that’s the thing with Pittsburgh that makes the entrance so dramatic... you can’t see even a suggestion of a city when heading in from the south due to Mt Washington. With pretty much anywhere, a city’s skyline comes into view from a distance. But with Pittsburgh, like you said, all of a sudden it’s, BOOM!... city. And right in the downtown.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I've seen much of Southern California including the CV..and Needles. How many people have been fucking to Needles? As well as up to the SF Bay Area up into the Napa Valley area. California is just long and takes several trips to see further flung areas. I will be 87 by the time I visit Eureka.
It's actually pretty easy to visit every MSA in CA. Just drive up the entire length of PCH and CA-99 and you'll hit up like 90% of them. There's great places to visit everywhere along the way. I'm pretty sure I've been to every one without even really intending to. And yeah I've been to Needles... and Brawley... and Trona... Some real Hills Have Eyes shit out there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions