HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:31 AM

Metros in your state/province you've never been to

What are some small to midsized metros or regions of your state/province you've never been to? In Texas I've never been to San Angelo, Victoria, Lubbock, Laredo or Brownsville/RGV.

Last edited by Dariusb; Mar 11, 2021 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:04 AM

The biggest urban area I have never been to in BC is Prince George (90 000).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:10 AM

In Arizona, I haven't visited Yuma or Flagstaff and only kinda visited Prescott on a few occasions (like meet some one for dinner and then drive back to Phoenix). I have driven through Yuma and Flagstaff, but haven't visited.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:01 AM

I've driven through Jacksonville on I-95 on my way somewhere else on the East Coast but never got off the freeway. The largest that I have never been to in any way would be Pensacola.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:07 AM

In PA, the most common metro PA residents haven’t been to is very likely Erie, given its location in the NW corner. For me, have never been to Lancaster-York area.

In FL, never been to Gainesville.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
What are some small to midsized metros or regions of your state/province you've never been to? In Texas I've never been to San Angelo, Victoria, Lubbock or Brownsville/RGV.
I’ve been to all of those except Brownsville. It’s been so long since I’ve been to El Paso, I might as well have never been there. And that was only with my family on our way to Juarez. This was so long ago Juarez was actually a place people might actually want to go to. I’ve never been to Amarillo. Never been to Wichita Falls. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Waco.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Other than chicago, where I live, I've shamefully never spent any real amount of time exploring any of illinois' other MSAs.

Sure, I've done plenty of drive-thrus/drive-bys, but actual feet on the ground, walking the streets experience? Nope, not in any of them.

I should probably change that one of these decades....

It's kinda funny how I'm 1,000x more well-travelled within wisconsin and michigan than I am within my own state, but that's just how many of us chicagoans are oriented. "GO NORTH!"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 11, 2021 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:23 AM

I've been in all three counties of Delaware before. I was actually in all three counties today, to check out a brewery at the other end of the state!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:29 AM

columbus, rome, warner robbins are probably the main ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ia_(U.S._state)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:34 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Texas: Rio Grand Valley, San Angelo and Midland.
New York: most of Long Island.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:44 AM
E pluribus unum

Ohio: Toledo, Akron, Youngstown, Portsmouth, Athens

Arizona: Bullhead City/Lake Havasu City, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Tombstone

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:27 AM

Alaskan. I have yet to go to Juneau or anywhere else in Southeast.

Juneau is a straightforward flight from Anchorage, but when I do go, I'd like to do the epic drive to Haines from Fairbanks, and then the afternoon ferry to Juneau.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Mar 11, 2021 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:31 AM

I've not only been to every metro in California, I've been to every sizeable city in every corner of this massive state. Obviously this took a lifetime, but I've lived in every region and I've always been an avid daytripper. Looking at the map and picking my next adventure is a favorite pastime.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:43 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Other than chicago, where I live, I've shamefully never spent any real amount of time exploring any of illinois' other MSAs.

Sure, I've done plenty of drive-thrus/drive-bys, but actual feet on the ground, walking the streets experience? Nope, not in any of them.

It's kinda funny how I'm 1,000x more well-travelled within wisconsin and michigan than I am within my own state, but that's just how many of us chicagoans are oriented. "GO NORTH!"
I've only lived in Chicago for 6-7 years, but I also haven't really been to anywhere downstate. I keep meaning to go to Springfield one of these days since there seems like there may be something to do there. Really the only non-Chicagoland place I know at all is LaSalle/Ottawa (thanks to Starved Rock), which is barely outside Chicagoland.

In Nevada I've been to basically every town (not that there are that many of them).

In CA, the most sizable place I haven't been to is probably El Centro.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:13 PM

I’ve lived in NYC for over 20 years and have never been to Buffalo or Rochester. Kind of sad, actually.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

if you ever need some advice for far southern illinois let me know. its a very interesting area and there are a couple actual “mountain towns” with overlooks near their downtowns similar to the ozarks or appalachia. best hiking ive found in the state and cool kayaking areas too.

grafton on the mississippi river and historic alton are worth a stop. elsah illinois has a very interesting vibe (new england?) and is right there too...feels like an m. night shyamalan set. its kind of a package deal there on the river road just north of st. louis.

i think i’ve been to most MSAs and micropolitans or whatever in illinois south of I-80. i used to catch the train to chicago from quincy in my late teens and twenties after my parents moved to a farm north of st louis and listen to sufjan stevens “come on feel the illinoise” passing through places in the album, lol.

wikipedia.com

Last edited by Centropolis; Mar 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:34 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
In North Carolina, I've never been to Fayetteville or Wilmington. As for Wilmington, from Western North Carolina it's closer to go to either the Virginia or South Carolina beaches than it is to go to the North Carolina beaches. And as for Fayetteville, no one has ever voluntarily gone to Fayetteville and those who stay there once ordered to go there only do so because Stockholm syndrome has set in. Having never personally been there, that information comes to me from several reliable members of the military and/or their spouses who were sentenced to time in Fayetteville and all unanimously agree it's horrible.

As for South Carolina I've pretty much covered my bases, living in Greenville-Spartanburg, and having been to Rock Hill, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Charleston, Sumter, and Florence. If you want to count it though, I've never been to Augusta, GA, whose metro area sprawls north into South Carolina.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:23 PM

São Paulo state has 45 million people, 21 million on the capital's metro area, therefore there are plenty of metro areas/urban centres upstate above 200k. They're wealthy, but quite generic as while São Paulo coast is dramatic, with their 1,000m high mountains, covered by forest, the hinterland is quite flat, covered by sugarcane.

Even though they're not touristic, few years ago, I decided to take a weekend roadtrip, and got to know a dozen of them: Campinas (3 million), Limeira (320k), Rio Claro (220k), São Carlos (250k, with one of the best aerospace museums in the world), Araraquara (270k), Ribeirão Preto (1 million), Piracicaba (400k) and Americana-Sta.Bárbara (500k).

And outside those, there are plenty of others I also know and yet to know. São José do Rio Preto (600k), Bauru (380k), Araçatuba-Birigui (300k), Presidente Prudente (300k), Marília (250k), São José dos Campos-Taubaté (1.6 million), Jundiaí (700k), Sorocaba (1 million), those last three inside São Paulo macrometropolitan area.

In the coast, we have Santos region (1.8 million).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:11 PM

I've Never been to the home town of Paul Shaffer..That being Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've Never been to the home town of Paul Shaffer..That being Thunder Bay.
I've been there twice. I've been to all Canadian Provinces except Newfoundland and Labrador (and sadly, I haven't been to the Territories). There is only a handful of cities over 50,000 in Canada that I have yet to visit (namely, St. John's, Prince George, Sydney, Fort Mac & Cheese)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_in_Canada

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions