HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'd like to hear an honest consensus architectural assessment from san franciscans of saleforce's new SF tower, not the highly selective and self-reinforcing feedback loop responses given to us by someone who CLEARLY has an axe to grind.

i myself feel like it's the crowning peak the SF skyline has desperately needed as it grew ever more "plateau-ish" over the decades since the heady days of transamerica and BofA.

but i'm just an internet skyscraper nerd from chicago, not a san franciscan, so what do i know?
My opinion: love the height and proportions (i.e. a tower on that site of that height and width is exactly what SF's skyline needed), dislike how bland and generic and melt-y/round-y it looks. I liked the SOM proposal much better.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
wack. i'm curious if you really think all tech is bad, or if you're just calling out specific areas. you're posting this on the internet... almost every aspect of your porsche relies on software running on multiple computer modules networked together, not to mention all of the CAD and other scientific modeling software used to design and optimize it... the medical industry relies heavily on tech for all kinds of shit - folding@home/supercomputers modeling proteins and AWS for running algorithms for sequencing mRNA
Interestingly, many have argued that tech has taken the “soul” out of sports cars. It’s a compelling case.

Look, I never said that tech is “bad”. I am not the ultimate judge of “good” or “bad”

I’m arguing, along with many others, that tech takes the “soul” out of everything it enters.

And I believe that point to be correct. You can go back centuries on this. The Amish eschew most technology that takes away a person’s dignity; dignity being defined as doing a good day’s work.

Some of you will surely scoff at that, but I can sort of understand that frame of mind. Making things easier is not always better for the flesh and blood beings that we are. That doesn’t always enhance or nourish our soul.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Making things easier is not always better for the flesh and blood beings that we are. That doesn’t always enhance or nourish our soul.
Hmm... that sounds like such a Protestant view.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 3:42 PM
The City

^ Is it? I wouldn’t know, I don’t really know much about the denominations of Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions