HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
That's fine, but put something higher end in there. That place is the epicenter of the flash mob crowd and always looks like a Greyhound bus stop. I cannot imagine living in the Ritz, Ellington, The Grande, etc and having Wendy's as their neighbor.

Then again that entire street needs to clean up and get ride of the endless sneaker stores and other crappy storefronts.
There's a high school at that corner so no matter what retail goes in there will still be teenagers hanging out. I guess maybe a calendar store would drive away the teenagers, they're always the empty store at the mall.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
There's a high school at that corner so no matter what retail goes in there will still be teenagers hanging out. I guess maybe a calendar store would drive away the teenagers, they're always the empty store at the mall.

Kids might congregate, but Wendy's does nothing to disperse the crowd. I don't think there would be a similar issue if a Panera went in. Something to make the block more higher end.

IMO, there should be a small police outpost right by the Subway entrance near the clothes pin. No need to have people loitering there and simply causing trouble. One just has to look at Walnut St vs. Chestnut street to see the difference higher end stores can have on an area.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:47 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Wow...Wendy's or Panera Bread. The PPD should enforce any loitering laws if they don't have other responsibilities and if they can make it a priority. Wendy's can't do much about it except call the cops and make a complaint. I'm against flash mobs and the problems that they cause, especially if laws are broken. Perhaps regular foot patrols by uniformed officers can help these type of situations and then these kids will find a new location when they see there is always police presence in the area.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Jun 9, 2014 at 5:49 PM. Reason: reset

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Wow...Wendy's or Panera Bread. The PPD should enforce any loitering laws if they don't have other responsibilities and if they can make it a priority. Wendy's can't do much about it except call the cops and make a complaint. I'm against flash mobs and the problems that they cause, especially if laws are broken. Perhaps regular foot patrols by uniformed officers can help these type of situations and then these kids will find a new location when they see there is always police presence in the area.

Yeah, regular foot patrols, stuff like that. And the store allows it inside and out. IMO, they should have some responsibility for it. Like I said, you have high rent apartments and condos and then you have that whole section of Chestnut with low end stores and Wendy's which always looks like a soup kitchen whenever I walk by.

I don't know, the city is going to have this wonderful open park area. You have a high end hotel and condo's going in. Del Friscos right there. And then you have this block that is just derelict. Hopefully the high end rents from Walnut will spill over and clean up Chestnut.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 12:03 AM

The panhandlers aren't going away unless the cops make them move, and I think the PPD has already taken a do-nothing approach to the homeless. But it's a major subway interchange and full of office workers. That's where beggars go.

The retail on Chestnut is already getting better because it's spilling over from Walnut. Lesser or independent retail is being priced off Walnut by chains that can afford higher rent. That's going to make Chestnut what Walnut was ten years ago. The W is only going to make it an even more desirable street.

You just have to have patience. Once that hotel is up, the Sex and the City crowd will bring their boutiques. You can't just say "make the retail better." It's not a department store, it's an urban street. If someone somehow managed to kick out the sneaker stores or declare Wendy's a nuisance business, something "better" isn't waiting in line to take its place. It would be replaced with a McDonald's or Dollar Store because those are the businesses willing to lease the space available.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:14 PM

http://www.phillychitchat.com/2014/0...ve-plus-w.html

"That Wendy's on the corner has been a magnet of trouble for years, and it was deemed a deterrent to obtaining business for the new project; BUT it's a money maker too. What to do, the Alterra decided to move the Wendy's from the corner and put it in the center of the building where the Giovani Pizza and the Falafel Bar were located, after negotiated a lease buyout from the two eateries. They will now move to 1533 Chestnut in the long vacant Ritz Camera Shop. What's going in on the corner where Wendy's soon will be history (as of August), a WELLS Fargo. Remember about a month ago I tweeted that WELLS FARGO was leaving 1500 Market Street, now we know where they're going, around the corner."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 3:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Hammer View Post
http://www.phillychitchat.com/2014/0...ve-plus-w.html

"That Wendy's on the corner has been a magnet of trouble for years, and it was deemed a deterrent to obtaining business for the new project; BUT it's a money maker too. What to do, the Alterra decided to move the Wendy's from the corner and put it in the center of the building where the Giovani Pizza and the Falafel Bar were located, after negotiated a lease buyout from the two eateries. They will now move to 1533 Chestnut in the long vacant Ritz Camera Shop. What's going in on the corner where Wendy's soon will be history (as of August), a WELLS Fargo. Remember about a month ago I tweeted that WELLS FARGO was leaving 1500 Market Street, now we know where they're going, around the corner."
YESSSSS.

This is great news. Hopefully the Wendy's can be civilized like the McDonalds on Walnut. Getting it off the corner helps a lot. I'll imagine as the retail gets more high end you won't have store fronts tolerating loitering or other kids of trouble making going on at that store either.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
YESSSSS.

This is great news. Hopefully the Wendy's can be civilized like the McDonalds on Walnut. Getting it off the corner helps a lot. I'll imagine as the retail gets more high end you won't have store fronts tolerating loitering or other kids of trouble making going on at that store either.
That's a good point. Not just the kids, but the panhandlers. Store management has every right to tell people they can't loiter or beg on their sidewalks. It's never going to stop in front of the Clothes Pin. But I imagine that Dilworth Plaza will have some sort of security like Sisters City park. That will also be a place for kids to hang out, instead of just milling about on the sidewalks.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 7:44 PM
BANNED

In my observation the kids are most often seen during their lunch period and it makes sense because there arent many above ground fast food places near 15th and Walnut. Young people are part of any urban scene and even if you move wendy's you arent going to be able to "cleanse" center city of the kinds of kids some here apparently dont want to see downtown. Since one would presume condo dwellers are at work during the day and hotel guests are either in meetings or out sightseeing much of the day im not sure that the site of "urban" youths going in and out of wendys is going to ruin their center city experience.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
They shouldn't let wendy's remain as a tenant. I can't for the life of me know why you'd want to live above a wendy's.
well 15th and chestnut isnt exactly rittenhouse square so im not sure what kind of upscale tenant you would expect to find in a non luxury apt building that used to be class B office space. Im not even sure I understand how tenants would be negatively affected by the wendys.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 7:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
In my observation the kids are most often seen during their lunch period and it makes sense because there arent many above ground fast food places near 15th and Walnut. Young people are part of any urban scene and even if you move wendy's you arent going to be able to "cleanse" center city of the kinds of kids some here apparently dont want to see downtown. Since one would presume condo dwellers are at work during the day and hotel guests are either in meetings or out sightseeing much of the day im not sure that the site of "urban" youths going in and out of wendys is going to ruin their center city experience.

I don't think anyone cares about people coming and going at a Wendy's. There is a McDonalds a couple blocks away with normal foot traffic. What IS an issue is large groups of kids congregating inside and outside and the eventual issues involved. This Wendy's has been at the center of numerous flash mobs or other general disorders.

Also, people living in the city shouldn't have to worry about unruly students. They are there to get an education and act like law abiding adults.

Furthermore, you have The Grande, Ellington, Ritz and soon to be W right there. People who pay sizable amounts in rent like to have a nice surrounding area. Walnut is nice, Sansom is nice, no reason that Chestnut should be unruly. And once 15th and Chestnut is converted I am sure the apartments will be very nice and high end.

Also, gotta love the race baiting. People should act civilized and per the law, especially in a city. I don't care if these kids are purple. You loiter, cause trouble and make an area shitty and you aren't wanted. Especially when you are a student and inconveniencing tax payers and others who contribute to the vibrancy of the city as a whole.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone cares about people coming and going at a Wendy's. There is a McDonalds a couple blocks away with normal foot traffic. What IS an issue is large groups of kids congregating inside and outside and the eventual issues involved. This Wendy's has been at the center of numerous flash mobs or other general disorders.

Also, people living in the city shouldn't have to worry about unruly students. They are there to get an education and act like law abiding adults.

Furthermore, you have The Grande, Ellington, Ritz and soon to be W right there. People who pay sizable amounts in rent like to have a nice surrounding area. Walnut is nice, Sansom is nice, no reason that Chestnut should be unruly. And once 15th and Chestnut is converted I am sure the apartments will be very nice and high end.

Also, gotta love the race baiting. People should act civilized and per the law, especially in a city. I don't care if these kids are purple. You loiter, cause trouble and make an area shitty and you aren't wanted. Especially when you are a student and inconveniencing tax payers and others who contribute to the vibrancy of the city as a whole.
haha so simply because they are of school age, they are an inconvenience to the tax payers? God! When will these kids finally fix their grand mistake of ever being born? Isn't it about time that everyone in Philly under the age of 18 just commit seppuku? Don't they understand that they're in our way?

I seriously feel bad for anyone dumb enough to fear "flash mobs."

Can we get back to talking about development? Anytime this message board veers into social issues it gets pretty embarrassing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:

its 2014, flashmob epidemic was 3-4 years ago and I was unaware the flash mobbers came out of wendys and then proceeded to attack someone. Fast food places are almost everywhere in America and teens with limited means are likely to eat at the most affordable places they can find. The idea that CC shouldnt allow fast food places or the people who patronize them because such sights will horrify tourists or apt dwellers is a bit ridiculous.

ive been by this location countless times. The number of times ive seen "trouble" (Assuming that means more than seeing 5 kids together) can be counted on one hand. So sorry if Im not buying all the talk about flash mobbing, loitering, harassment and lowering of property values. Never seen any purple kids there BTW, but its good to know you would be just as troubled if you saw them patronizing or standing near the wendys.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
haha so simply because they are of school age, they are an inconvenience to the tax payers? God! When will these kids finally fix their grand mistake of ever being born? Isn't it about time that everyone in Philly under the age of 18 just commit seppuku? Don't they understand that they're in our way?

I seriously feel bad for anyone dumb enough to fear "flash mobs."

Can we get back to talking about development? Anytime this message board veers into social issues it gets pretty embarrassing.
but flash mobs were all over the place in 2010! You arent still taking about it? And they looked like the kids at wendys! if tourists see these people they may figure out Philly's demographics and be scared to return!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:34 PM
Closed account

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...202189591.html

Happened last year. Guess you don't follow the news.

The Wendy's being moved is good and I hope the whole block improves. That way more police will be around and store owners will call on them to keep these kids in line. The city depends on hard working individuals to pay taxes and those with the means to rent these apartments. This is the engine of the city being rejuvenated. If children can't act appropriately they will be unwelcome and the police will be called.

Your race baiting is pathetic and ignores the very real fact that this location has been a problem for a while. A simple search will show countless yelp reviews and other Philly forums where people discuss this area.

I'm done on this topic since it is being drawn away from development and into something unrelated and honestly, distasteful.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 10:17 PM

Is it possible that 1487 is the reincarnation of the notorious randomuser?

If so, buckle in tight for some flame war fun!

Test: Delaware County blows!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:42 AM

Quote:

The Wendy's being moved is good and I hope the whole block improves. That way more police will be around and store owners will call on them to keep these kids in line. The city depends on hard working individuals to pay taxes and those with the means to rent these apartments. This is the engine of the city being rejuvenated. If children can't act appropriately they will be unwelcome and the police will be called.

Your race baiting is pathetic and ignores the very real fact that this location has been a problem for a while. A simple search will show countless yelp reviews and other Philly forums where people discuss this area.

I'm done on this topic since it is being drawn away from development and into something unrelated and honestly, distasteful.
Thanks for admitting that your comments are distasteful.

A lot of the hard working people in this city were once kids in this city. Also, word to the wise, if you constantly accuse people of "race baiting" you are almost assuredly a racist.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 12:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:

So my understanding is that if you ban Wendy's from chestnut street (or perhaps CC overall) you will solve this problem? Or are you suggesting that the activities described in the story (from 16 months back) are "typical" of what goes on around Wendy's at 15th and Chestnut? The link you provided quotes the Wendy's manager as saying the disorder didn't originate in his restaurant. So again I wonder how in the world one can say the presence of wendy's and its patrons is directly responsible for violence and chaos in the vicinity of 15th and chestnut on a regular basis. Its nonsense and no major central city area is going to be devoid of fast food or cheap food outlets. Its part of the retail diversity one expects to find in an urban center. Shockingly, even people with office jobs patronize Wendy's- not everyone can afford capital grille or del friscos for lunch during the week.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Is it possible that 1487 is the reincarnation of the notorious randomuser?

If so, buckle in tight for some flame war fun!

Test: Delaware County blows!
I'm new, never posted under other names. I was checking the site for a while but I had to jump in after seeing so many comments talking about the "trash" that needs to be chased out of CC in various threads. The disdain some regulars have here for the homeless, minorities or lower income people is a bit disturbing. It's funny because before CC was on its current path many of these "lesser" folks were the ones who still shopped downtown and provided some sort of reason for stores to even be in business in the CBD. Now that things are better many people want these folks to disappear because it makes CC look a little too diverse which may give poor impressions to tourists or folks living in luxury condos/apts.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 12:57 PM

Wendy's Kimye

The two tourists with the most disposable income in the world frequent that place when they visit: Kim Kardashian and Kanye West

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive