HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:43 PM
Random Contributor

From [Moncton] Downtown Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Wasn't sure which thread this belongs to, however since the downtown core is in the background, I figured I would add a causeway update here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusio Cogno View Post
Thanks Budyser!
This view helps me visualize where they are going to put the river channel.
Are they doing a small channel or a big one?

[/url]

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are going to dredge an entirely new channel roughly where you pointed it out in your graphic.

That island in the middle is also going to be nuked.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 13, 2018 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Rumour of Global Pet Foods opening another metro store in Pinewood Plaza next to Papa John's.
Not just a rumour, there is a big Global Pet Foods banner in the window of one of the Pinewood Plaza CRUs. It's gonna happen.

And I agree with lirette, this is probably a smart move on the part of Global. There's lotsa competition on the north side of the river, but in Riverview, they will have a captive market of 20,000 consumers.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 2:16 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit that until now I didn't realize that the watercourse is going to be moved with the construction of that bridge. I just figured it'd go where the causeway is now, and thought the construction work I saw on Google Maps was for the approach.

That's going to be a huge project to excavate a channel on that scale. Though looking at the lay of the land and the waterway as it is now, it looks like maybe that was the original path and it was similarly diverted when the causeway was built?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:48 PM
Random Contributor

These photos from the Riverkeepers show the history of the river.

http://petitcodiac.org/petitcodiac-causeway/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post

Interesting that you can actually see the river getting wider in the bottom pic. It will be interesting to see what the new channel does to the width.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:

Should be interesting to see how much more erosion will take place and how much it will affect infrastructure.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Interesting that you can actually see the river getting wider in the bottom pic. It will be interesting to see what the new channel does to the width.
The bottom picture is from a report from the Sentinel of "what it could be" when this whole project was just a pipe dream. The current google maps view is not at high tide so it's hard to compare to see the real impact since the opening of the gates but it's pretty impressive to see the change up close in certain areas.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 10:05 PM
Random Contributor

Here's current view from Google Earth.
The banks are dark, and grass grows to the edge so it looks like the true river boundaries.
I see the detour for the new bridge construction so this is recent.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 1:30 PM

The 1954 image really sheds some light on why the old Gunningsville Bridge was located at the position and orientation it was; the causeway was built long before I was born so I'd always seen the truss bridge as crossing a lot of open marshland and not at the narrowest point of the river, which always struck me as odd.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
The 1954 image really sheds some light on why the old Gunningsville Bridge was located at the position and orientation it was; the causeway was built long before I was born so I'd always seen the truss bridge as crossing a lot of open marshland and not at the narrowest point of the river, which always struck me as odd.
Interesting observation and let’s hope the engineers looked at the impact of opening up the causeway on the infra-structure (footings, etc) of Gunningsville bridge. If the River width returns back to more of like it was years ago, is the Gunningsville bridge engineered for such?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 1:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Giant Tiger is apparently opening in the Riverview Mall on July 28th.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
Interesting observation and let’s hope the engineers looked at the impact of opening up the causeway on the infra-structure (footings, etc) of Gunningsville bridge. If the River width returns back to more of like it was years ago, is the Gunningsville bridge engineered for such?
Totally.
Gunningsville Bridge and other infrastructure and even the integrity of the river banks where they come close to roads and buildings etc. has been taken into account. They've looked at it. amont other things, for many years before deciding where to put the channel. In fact they looked at this question for many yeras before building the bridge, too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Totally.
Gunningsville Bridge and other infrastructure and even the integrity of the river banks where they come close to roads and buildings etc. has been taken into account. They've looked at it. amont other things, for many years before deciding where to put the channel. In fact they looked at this question for many yeras before building the bridge, too.
They don't have a clue....... nobody does. They are treating it as wait and see.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...osts-1.1328510

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 3:43 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
They don't have a clue....... nobody does. They are treating it as wait and see.
From that article:
"Riverkeeper said the erosion will stop on its own when it finds the natural banks of the river."

I think we need a new Riverkeeper that understands why straight rivers end up looking like snaky bendy rivers - hint: Rivers constantly erode their natural banks.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
From that article:
"Riverkeeper said the erosion will stop on its own when it finds the natural banks of the river."

I think we need a new Riverkeeper that understands why straight rivers end up looking like snaky bendy rivers - hint: Rivers constantly erode their natural banks.
I know the article is 5 years old and maybe they have done more studies since then. What I do know is that no engineer, no mater how good they think they are, can predict outcomes in the natural world. There are just too many variables. What I do get a kick out of the most is the Riverkeeper people keep saying they are restoring the river to it's natural state. No your not. You can't. We built a city next to it and filled it in with rocks and dykes and dumps and whatever. So spending 62 million or whatever it was to increase flow rate will make an unknown problem even more unknown. What was the problem of waiting another 5 or 10 years to see what might happen with erosion? What if we have a record rainfall season and we increased the flow rate... and put a new treatment plant right in "the bend" and that gets washed out and raw sewage ends up flushing back and forth, up and down the river? Yah, I know it's unlikely but whats wrong with being patient? Rant off.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
They might or might not have a clue. I have no idea if they do or don't.
He didn't ask if they had a clue, he asks if they took this into account, and the answer is yes, they took it into account and conducted an EIA that lasted more than a decade even before they built the bridge, with much of the focus on this exact question.
Whether they have a clue or not, well, I guess we'll find out in due course.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
They might or might not have a clue. I have no idea if they do or don't.
He didn't ask if they had a clue, he asks if they took this into account, and the answer is yes, they took it into account and conducted an EIA that lasted more than a decade even before they built the bridge, with much of the focus on this exact question.
Whether they have a clue or not, well, I guess we'll find out in due course.
I responded to your comment, not Ifyoubuildit and expressed my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:26 PM

If they got it wrong at the old dump site, there's gonna be real trouble.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They've already reinforced the expected shoreline in front of the dump.

Also, by dredging a new channel just downstream of the old causeway (and in front of the old dump), they will be straightening out the river, thus increasing flow velocity, and preventing any new meanders from occurring. I am sure the dump will be safe.

By straightening out the channel, this will also hasten cleaning all the silt out of the headpond as well.

My main concern is more downstream, with the meander at Outhouse Point. I think the river flow there will be directed back towards the riverbank in front of Riverfront Park in the downtown area, with the increasing flow volumes and flow velocity causing increasing erosion along the outer circumference (north shore) of the river. This might cause the meander here to worsen.

Again, they have reinforced the shoreline here with riprap, but I remain somewhat concerned.

I interpret carotid ultrasound examinations, which gives one an appreciation of fluid dynamics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces