HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:32 AM

The World's Highest Metropolis

Nuestra Señora de La Paz, the de facto capital of Bolivia: almost two million people living in a steep canyon where the bottom is already well over the 11,000 foot mark, and buildings spill out onto the surrounding plains nearly 14,000 feet above sea level. The highest city that is larger than La Paz is Bogota which is a full kilometer (over 3,000 feet lower). Even Lhasa is lower than almost all of La Paz.

To add another geographical superlative, the small stream running through La Paz (Rio Choqueyapu) eventually winds its way to the Madeira River and then into the vast Amazon.

While Spanish is the main language, the city and especially El Alto have a large Aymara population

The city center is in the canyon right of center.

Wikimedia

This perspective is from El Alto, a suburb above the 13,000 foot level.

(bikertony.org)

FmBolivia, Panoramio

(tolliday.id.au)

The peak of Illimani

(Apaza,Bruno, Panoramio)

(famouswonders.com)

(Alaisdair Turner, Blogspot)

(Corey David Watts, Blogspot)

A street in El Alto

(Wikimedia)

(South American Journal, Blogspot)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 8:59 AM

I still vote this the most exciting and unique city in South America, two visits here, last one in 2007. This is one of these unusual cities, whereas in most cities, the rich live on the higher hills for the best views, but not here! Here, the richer live at the lower altitudes in Moon Valley, looking up for their views, rather than down.

The best views are left to the poorest of the poor in La Paz, in El Alto, at 13,000 feet. Here, at that altitude, it would tax the rich too much, perhaps they couldn't breath properly up there, so they're down in Moon Valley at 11,000 feet, not even in the central core at 12,500 feet!

This is an amazing city! At this altitude, if you're walking on the level, or downhill, you'd never believe you're up at 12,500 feet. But just try to walk up a half flight of stairs in your hotel sometime!!! Or walk uphill! Bam!!!
That's when it hits you, right square in the lungs!

Potosi is even more extreme, at 14,000 feet. There's where I finally surrendered to the coca tea to ward off altitude sickness!

What's a real mind boggler is to see these women scaling those veritical streets there, with carrying a heavy sack of potatoes in that high altitude!

Just love that Mt. Illimani looming over the city! Awesome!

No other city in the world like it! One of a kind for sure!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:40 AM

And at the altitude, aircraft takeoffs are VERY lengthy.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:13 PM
Editor

I always find pictures of La Paz to be incredibly interesting.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:34 PM

Wonderful pictures. I would love to see more.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 5:21 PM
Martian

Hmm, I wonder if living there has long-term health implications, since at 12,000 feet a breath of air delivers 40% less oxygen than at sea level. It could actually be a good thing for the lungs, I'm not sure, but at least for me I can barely catch my breath after running half a mile, I can't imagine getting 40% less oxygen, I would probably die LOL.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos