HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:10 AM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Below is a postcard view of yet another renovation of the Alexandria Hotel lobby (perhaps the early 1950s).

postcard/ebay

below: A booth in the 'Gentlemen's Club' of the Alexandria Hotel, circa 1910 (very elaborate for a booth...looks more like a shrine).

postcard/ebay

below: Years later, a view of the 'Masque Room', a step-down bar in the Alexandria Hotel.

postcard/ebay

Any ideas where this was located Horthos?

As for the step down bar, I am not sure where that would have been. There are many areas in the building which have been redone, sealed off to the public (by the mailboxes there is a stairway that leads to the basement, which has been sealed off completely. The only way I know its a stairway is by looking through a small crack, with the right amount of light you can see down, but I have no clue what it is. Might be the bar you speak of.)

I have a bunch of other photos of things that have been going on down here. In particular, they started redoing the sidewalks around 5th and broadway, but havent done anymore. At first glance, they look like the original sidewalks, with the glass tiles, but when you look harder, its actually just pink-ish concrete with shiny granite tiles stuck in...

Looks better than the broken grease/spit/piss/gum/whatever else stains that were there before (although they are already getting dirty again), but I wish they could have done them properly with the glass.

Also, when I moved down here, before I discovered this thread, I was always curious about the pacific mutual building (6th and olive), I always thought it looked strange. When I learned that it was remuddled with a crappy facade, I went back and looked at it a bit harder, and discovered around the side that you can still see some of the original building (at least I think so). I would like to think that maybe its still under that facade, but probably not...

There are several other buildings down here I am curious about, if they were given another facade or what. Ill take pictures and post them, maybe someone knows something about them...

Photos by me...I guess I have to say that?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
------ Sometimes going thru your FLICKR posts , I'd see one that'd recently been taken care of by meself --

you'll be sure to let me know when i need to correct something on one of my flickr posts!

and if no one has said it yet.....thanx for you're attention to detail, and making sure that los angeles's photographic history is perserved properly!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 11:23 AM

i don't think this charles c ebbets photograph had been posted before.........

Tee Time 1927

Source: Grandma's Attic

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:17 PM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:51 PM

Soon to reappear downtown

Clinton's Restaurants Inc/L.A. Conservancy
648 S. Broadway

The 1963 screen is coming down--the progress as of Sunday:

Franklin Avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
...when I moved down here, before I discovered this thread, I was always curious about the pacific mutual building (6th and olive), I always thought it looked strange. When I learned that it was remuddled with a crappy facade, I went back and looked at it a bit harder, and discovered around the side that you can still see some of the original building (at least I think so). I would like to think that maybe its still under that facade, but probably not...

There are several other buildings down here I am curious about, if they were given another facade or what. Ill take pictures and post them, maybe someone knows something about them...
So, Horthos, keep an eye on this rare and "monumental" reveal for us...

Further reading:
http://www.franklinavenue.blogspot.com/
http://www.laconservancy.org/issues/..._cliftons.php4

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:11 PM

Clifton's Brookdale

Now THAT is great news GW. Even back in the 70's, Clifton's always looked dirty because the perforations on that awful screening were like smog residue magnets. It has always seemed like such a shame since the entryway tilework/terrazzo is so striking and beautiful!

Google Streetview

Another great vintage photo, this one from 1936

Dick Whittington Collection/USC Digital Library

Too bad Clifton's Pacific Seas couldn't magically reappear! It was torn down in 1960 shortly after this photo was taken.

Los Angeles Herald-Examiner Collection/USC Digital Library

~Jon Paul

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Oct 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:05 PM

Bunker Hill Backplate

You guys are going to love this. A nitrate backplate of 1940's Bunker Hill. Absolutely beautiful.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/arc...ngeles/244590/

Enjoy!

Last edited by KevinW; Oct 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:53 PM

Carl's Restaurants

Back in July 2010, sopas_ej posted this photo of Carl's Restaurant and asked if anyone knew the location. The image is no longer coming up with the original post, so I'm reposting..

Dick Whittington Collection/USC Digital Library

Yesterday I found these matchbooks on e-bay and it appears there were two Carl's locations in Los Angeles, with this being the Flower and Figueroa location (and gone with the Harbor Fwy).

e-bay

I decided to take a Google Streetview looksee to find out if the Vernon and Crenshaw building was still there. It's not, but on the NW corner there is this streamline moderene gem! Does anyone know the history of this structure?

Google Streetview

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:04 PM

The middle matchbook of Carl's-at-the-Beach is very interesting.
I don't recall any buildings along PCH that come even close to looking like the buildings on that matchbook.
It also says SEA AIR MOTOR APARTMENTS. So I guess one of their selling points is that you could arrive by boat, car or airplane.
...perhaps from the nearby Cloverfield Airport?

Does anyone know if this complex was ever built?

_________

The removal of that awful screen from Clifton's is great news indeed!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The middle matchbook of Carl's-at-the-Beach is very interesting.
I don't recall any buildings along PCH that come even close to looking like the buildings on that matchbook.
It also says SEA AIR MOTOR APARTMENTS. So one of their selling points is that you could come by boat, car or airplane.
...perhaps from the nearby Cloverfield Airport?

Does anyone know if this complex was ever built?
I have been looking around online for information since I first found the matchbooks. So far nothing, but I am a tenacious one so I'll keep digging

I did however find out that the streamline moderne building I spied on Google was originally an Atlantic Richfield gas station and garage! Now, I must look for pictures......

~Jon Paul

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 10:56 PM

Grayson's Inglewood

While looking around Calisphere for a picture of the Richfield station, I stumbled across this photo of a Grayson's Better Dresses store that used to be at Crenshaw and 85th. I am absolutely fascinated by the buidling design!

Calisphere

It almost appears to be basically a giant shadow box in scheme. I am now determined to find a head-on shot!

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 11:12 PM

That's a great find Jon Paul!

Baxter Street in Echo Park, circa 1939.

Herman Schultheis at http://www.lapl.org/

below: A view of Baxter Street today.

google street views

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 13, 2011 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
While looking around Calisphere for a picture of the Richfield station, I stumbled across this photo of a Grayson's Better Dresses store that used to be at Crenshaw and 85th. I am absolutely fascinated by the buidling design!

Calisphere

It almost appears to be basically a giant shadow box in scheme. I am now determined to find a head-on shot!

~Jon Paul

The Woolworth portion of this building has survived Jon Paul! Sadly, the elaborate Grayson's is gone.

google street view

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 12:12 AM

This is a long shot, but does anyone recognize this small streamline building?
It's unidentified in the lapl archive.

Besides the photographer's name, the biggest clue is clearly the address 4032 (minus the name of the street).

_________

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 2:29 AM

I wish I knew where that was, ethereal. Something about the pic makes me think that it's not along a major thoroughfare; I could be wrong, of course.

Last week, Good Sam broke ground for a new "medical pavilion" that'll be built along Wilshire between Lucas and Witmer. Here's a rendering:

Central City Association of Los Angeles ccala.org

I assume, then, that the old retaining wall from the Shatto House will be removed.

Hmm, actually, I believe this new building will not extend all the way to Lucas. Maybe the Shatto House retaining wall will remain? Hmm...

Here's the corner of Wilshire and Lucas, dated supposedly from 1936:

LAPL

Here's Wilshire and Lucas after construction/extension is completed:

LAPL

Here's Wilshire and Lucas in 1968, showing the hearse of Robert Kennedy leaving Good Samaritan Hospital:

LAPL

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
Yesterday I found these matchbooks on e-bay and it appears there were two Carl's locations in Los Angeles, with this being the Flower and Figueroa location (and gone with the Harbor Fwy).

e-bay

~Jon Paul
I could be totally off base here and please, someone correct me if so, but those matchbook images of Carl's looks strikingly similar to what I remember being a Margarita Jones near the intersection of Flower and Figueroa. If that is the case, it would have actually survived many years post-Harbor Freeway construction, only to eventually succumb to a fire in 2001. Just a hunch.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:10 AM

Hi Triple FFF,
Carl's was located at 3414 West Vernon Ave.

--Rick

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 5:35 AM

Quote:
The Woolworth portion of this building has survived Jon Paul! Sadly, the elaborate Grayson's is gone.

Thanks ethereal_reality! I am glad at least something remains but I sure wish that incredible building did

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja55 View Post
Hi Triple FFF,
Carl's was located at 3414 West Vernon Ave.

--Rick
Thanks Rick, As I suspected when I looked on Google Streetview earlier, the Carl's building has been replaced by a rather spaceage Chase Bank building.

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:22 AM

Calisphere

google street view

I don't mean to piss on anyone's petunias, but I don't think these are the same buildings. The older picture shows Grayson's on Crenshaw, but in the Google image, it would've been on 85th. I'm thinking the Google image is of another corner.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos