HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 12:40 AM

WSJ blog sez #7 extension is $2.4B bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
http://gizmodo.com/the-billion-dolla...87579/@maxread

Could someone give me a breakdown on what HU may cost (i.e. what will the platform cost, what will each tower cost, the 7 extension, etc)? The figure in the article seems way, way off.
yeah, $1.2 billion for the known upcoming HY costs is way off

Quote:
But on the No. 7, the city has footed the $2.4 billion bill, floating bonds backed by future expected tax revenue from real estate development in the new neighborhood taking shape above the MTA’s West Side railyards.
From this WSJ blog on the Mayor's trip on the #7 extension
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013...for-the-mayor/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
http://gizmodo.com/the-billion-dolla...87579/@maxread

Could someone give me a breakdown on what HU may cost (i.e. what will the platform cost, what will each tower cost, the 7 extension, etc)? The figure in the article seems way, way off.
Nobody knows how much exactly HY project will cost as big projects like this tend to go over budget and may sometimes cost twice or more what was originally planed. (eg. WTC, Fulton).

vkristof mentioned No 7 cost of $2.4 bln which is already over $1 bln over budget.

Current cost estimate for platform over the eastern portion of the train yard is $721 mln
http://nypost.com/2012/05/22/hudson-...oach-grows-25/

Coach Tower estimate is over $1bln.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...x-subsidy.html

And total HY cost estimate is $12 bln - $15bln.
http://www.cpexecutive.com/regions/m...-26-acre-site/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 7:04 AM

Location of North Tower.

Lost passenger?

[

Tough Mudder?

Work on the west side of yards.
[/url]

Old Posted Dec 28, 2013, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Lots of permits approved concerning platform construction.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:48 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Anyway, I finally made it over to the exhibit, and I'm glad I did. I was surprised to find people genuinely enthusiastic about the project and loving it.
I don't know why it will only last a week, but Related should extend it or move it to another location, giving more people a chance to absorb it.
There are two models, a detailed one, and the more expansive model.
Where is this exhibit located? Last I mention of it's location was a retail show in Vegas months ago.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
Where is this exhibit located? Last I mention of it's location was a retail show in Vegas months ago.
You can still see it at TWC 2nd retail floor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post
It was extended through Christmas, though I don't know if it's still there. It should be on permanent display though.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 1:49 AM

I was there today, it's not there anymore.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Very cool icon for the towers. If this is where the Fashion Week will be held it kind of ties in as it looks like the end of a pair of scissors.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Just noticed in newer renderings, you can see the elevator rising before it reaches the top level...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:41 AM

what's so great about this development is that it's like adding on a whole new CBD on to midtown. a whole new skyline!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 8:55 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Which direction are we looking in that last view that we see so often? South? Just trying to orient myself not being familiar with the area.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 1:01 PM

Yup, looking South

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 1:21 PM

Will the remaining city block of tracks be covered over as well?? I wasn't aware that there was that much space between the western side of this project and the river. Always got the impression that the Corset building was right up against where the Highline turns back north and over the tracks.

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 1:43 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Unless there is more development over the tracks, who'd spend the money to cover that much area and why?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Unless there is more development over the tracks, who'd spend the money to cover that much area and why?
Exactly. NYC RE development has it's ups and downs. Right now we are on a up-swing. Where's the peak?

And keep in mind all the potential local terra-firma projects being discussed in these forums. That includes the Manhattan West project whose overbuild plaza "planks" will start being placed right-around-now.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Which direction are we looking in that last view that we see so often? South? Just trying to orient myself not being familiar with the area.
Yeah, that's the south view. It will look very different when Related reveals the centerpiece of the plaza. I was told a design had been selected, but we'll know more before the year is out I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401PAS View Post
Will the remaining city block of tracks be covered over as well?? I wasn't aware that there was that much space between the western side of this project and the river.

Quote:

That's phase 2 of Related's railyard development. The towers haven't been designed there (though there are mockups in the renders), and only one will be an office tower.
The residential phase, most of which is on the western half, is where Related expects to make money.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:38 PM

Just imagine that skyline pic once the riverfroint-facing parcels are developed with towers.

As NYGuy wrote, the railyards you see will be the second phase of Related's Hudson Yards, and will contain about the same developable square feet, except mostly residential (so expect lots of very tall, skinny towers).

Then, just to the north, the State wants to sell the Javits Center land and relocate the convention center somewhere else (possibly Queens), so you will probably eventually see towers on that site.

Then, just to the north of the Javits Center, you have the Quill Bus Depot, which is a huge garage for city buses. MTA wants to eventually sell the land to a developer, and relocate the bus depot, so probably even more towers.

And finally, to the north of the bus depot, you have an enormous UPS facility, which could be redeveloped. And the adjacent Chinese Mission complex is underbuilt too, so who knows; could be redeveloped or sold.

So we're talking an incredible skyline from the Hudson, though it will take time for everything to come together.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:28 PM

Easier places to build than overbuild

Quote:
Yeah, that's the south view. It will look very different when Related reveals the centerpiece of the plaza. I was told a design had been selected, but we'll know more before the year is out I guess.

That's phase 2 of Related's railyard development. The towers haven't been designed there (though there are mockups in the renders), and only one will be an office tower.
The residential phase, most of which is on the western half, is where Related expects to make money.

The towers-to-be-built NORTH of the east side of the MTA's West Side Yards also come with prebuilt foundations and will be right next to a soon-to-be-existent park.
The June 2012 MTA photo (looking north from the OHM building) below shows the three MTA sites between 11th Ave and the under construction Hudson Blvd Park. The two southern towers in this area have direct entrances to the opening-this-year #7 subway extension. The 3rd site (labeled in photo VENTILATION BUILDING) has an underpass to the Javits Convention center on the left:

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 2:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof View Post
The towers-to-be-built NORTH of the east side of the MTA's West Side Yards also come with prebuilt foundations and will be right next to a soon-to-be-existent park.

Better known as 3 Hudson Blvd (the Girasole) and 55 Hudson Yards.

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...gets-underway/

Hudson Yards retail gets underway, with construction and marketing set to begin at Far West Side site this month

January 01, 2014
By Guelda Voien

Quote:
About 750,000 square feet of pricey retail space is hitting the market in the next few weeks, as the Related Companies formally starts its search for tenants at its Hudson Yards project.

A year after construction started on Manhattan’s Far West Side, and with two major office tenants signed on to the gargantuan project — purse purveyor Coach and cosmetics giant L’Oreal — Related declined to say whether any retail tenants are signed on other than the already-touted Fairway Market.

But brokers say Related, which is partnered with Oxford Properties on the $4 billion venture, is in talks for an anchor tenant such as a department store, and possibly a 60,000- to 80,000-square-foot movie theater. And Related said construction and marketing will begin on the retail space this month.

The goal is for the pricing and mix of retailers to resemble those at Related’s other Manhattan retail behemoth, the Time Warner Center, brokers and Related said.

Like Time Warner, which transformed Columbus Circle from an open-air head shop to a glassy mall when it debuted in 2003, brokers say Related wants Hudson Yards to do the same for the Far West Side.

Related has adopted an “if you build it, they will come,” approach, brokers said. A recent exhibit at the Time Warner Center — where renderings of some of the 17 planned Hudson Yards towers are on display — marked the first step in Related’s push to publicize the space, which will not be complete until 2018.

One major possibility Related is supposedly considering as the anchor tenant is fine art and antiques auction house Sotheby’s, which is also parent to the residential real estate brokerage of the same name, said Faith Hope Consolo, head of Douglas Elliman’s retail division. Sotheby’s would take retail, office and showroom space if a deal can be worked out, Consolo said.

...The bulk of the retail that doesn’t go to an anchor will fill out the balance of the seven floors of what Related is calling a “podium,” between 10 and 30 Hudson Yards, located along 10th Avenue between 30th and 33rd streets. Construction has started on 10, but work on 30 has not begun, Rose said.

Related executives said the fashion retailers in the podium would be “sorted by sensibility,” meaning there would be an area where luxury retailers are clustered, and perhaps one for retailers focused on teens. The restriction barring Coach competitors does not apply to the podium, Rose said.

Hudson said the food and beverage offerings would focus on local favorites, but wouldn’t name which high-profile New York chefs he has spoken with, beyond a confident, “All of them.”

Hodos said he believed Related to be mulling a concept like Stone Rose — a swanky lounge at the Time Warner Center — that would take about 75,000 square feet, probably at the top of the podium. Hodos estimated the dining terrace, an outdoor space at the podium, and the Kitchens would take 36,000 square feet or so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive