HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Random update which I discovered while on my walk to Sobeys to get my lunch 5 mins ago:

Crombie is painting Terminal Center white! haha

The black was kinda junky looking...but I dunno how this will look...we shall see
Are you serious? well, i`m not sure its a great idea though, like you said we shall see..

Termimal is the building right along main? or this is the biggest. ?

Do you beleive it could be possible to add stories up Highfield square?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
Our Tide is Rising

dp

Last edited by mmmatt; Aug 24, 2007 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Its the building along main (where I work ) as for adding to Highfield probably not.
Ok thanks

Whats going on with Former Dewey Block ? and where the 4-stories condo that you talked about a while back is supposed to be located?

Its the question night!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 12:14 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Ok thanks

Whats going on with Former Dewey Block ? and where the 4-stories condo that you talked about a while back is supposed to be located?

Its the question night!
Former Dewey Block?

As for the condo all I remember is something about Assumption property...so probably nearby the two newish condos already along the waterfront.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Former Dewey Block?

As for the condo all I remember is something about Assumption property...so probably nearby the two newish condos already along the waterfront.
I got a pic

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 1:52 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I got a pic

ohhhh that place...I dunno but they certainly need to fill it. That mural is nice and all but a building is needed

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 8:26 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Are you serious? well, i`m not sure its a great idea though, like you said we shall see..

Termimal is the building right along main? or this is the biggest. ?

Do you beleive it could be possible to add stories up Highfield square?
Correction! Terminal Center IS the bigger one...but the one being painted is Terminal Plaza...stupid similar names always confuse me haha.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Riverkeeper proceeds with legal action against the feds
August 23, 2007 - 4:54 pm
By: Darrell Quann - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - It looks like the federal government will be going to court over the Petitcodiac River after all.

After taking a few weeks to mull over the consequences of going ahead with legal action against the feds - Petitcodiac Riverkeeper will do just that.

Petitcodiac Riverkeeper Chairman Michel Desjardins says he can't see how they will lose.

"I am absolutely convinced the river will be restored sooner rather than later. I don't believe any government can ignore the science, the law and the public opinion and we have those three things in our favour."

Desjardins says having the government realize their legal obligation to fixing the river will finally resolve the issue.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 3:40 PM

Who is Metro's voice in Ottawa?
With river restoration, convention centre and airport projects in works, Opposition MP wants to know who is standing up for Metro Moncton in cabinet

TOOL HELP
By Kate Wright
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Saturday August 25th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

OTTAWA - As a thriving community with a bustling economy, Metro Moncton is one of the great economic generators in the Maritime provinces.

But as the city experiences rapid growth, its infrastructure needs are quickly changing. Metro needs the help of both the provincial and federal governments to realize its potential as the East Coast's hub city.

A convention centre, increased customs staffing at the Greater Moncton International Airport, funding for the thriving aerospace industry and federal funding for the restoration of the Petitcodiac River are all major economic projects that are on the cusp of coming to fruition.

Given the importance of the issues on the city's plate, having a voice at the federal cabinet table has never been more paramount.

With an Opposition MP representing the city without a direct link to the Prime Minister's Office, some community leaders are wondering who on the government side is standing up for Metro Moncton's interests at the cabinet table.

New Brunswick's regional minister Greg Thompson has been criticized this week for admitting to not having read the exhaustive Environmental Impact Assessment that determined the Petitcodiac River must be restored -- arguably one of the largest restoration projects in the province's history.

Thompson has deferred the lead on the river file to Fundy-Royal MP Rob Moore, who has been a vocal opponent of the restoration project.

Sitting on the Opposition side of the Commons, Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Brian Murphy is limited in how far he can influence his colleagues on the government side of the House on Metro's important files.

While the river largely affects his riding, Murphy said the issue also affects people in the ridings of surrounding Tory MPs, making it an issue that should be heard in Ottawa.

"In city government, I became quite vocal on a number of issues, such as cleaning up the water," he said. "Likewise on the river, we are not being heard or read in this case and it's time for us to make a stink."

While Moore has been granted the lead on the file by Thompson, Murphy said Moore doesn't represent the province on the issue.

"I would like to know who's representing New Brunswick for the federal government," he said.

Interview requests to Rob Moore were not returned yesterday.

Dieppe Mayor Achille Maillet is appealing to Thompson and Moore to bring the province's preferred option of removing the causeway to Ottawa, hoping they will stand up for Metro's interests.

Named as one of the most endangered rivers in the world by a number of organizations including National Geographic and Earthwild International, Maillet said the decision to support the restoration project "makes sense" for the region.

"This is extremely important for the economy of the entire region. We will continue knocking on that door," he said. "We will be writing to Mr. Thompson and Mr. Moore and we're hopeful that Mr. Thompson will turn around and say, 'This makes sense for the region'"

Like many files waiting for federal funds, Maillet said the river file needs to move forward quickly and that local Conservative MPs need to stand up for the interests of the city.

The business community is cautious in questioning who's looking out for Metro's needs at the cabinet table.

Valerie Roy, CEO of the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce, said yesterday that the business community has had to come together and rally Ottawa on its own to put pressure on the federal government in support of important city issues.

In a city that is fast evolving, Roy said there are a number of issues that Moncton is looking for federal help with.

"We have a lot of issues in front of government right now and it's evident that the community, we all agree on what those issues are, but we're not the only community that has issues in front of government," she said.

Roy said regardless of who is in power federally, communities are often left to lobbying Ottawa on their own.

John Thompson, CEO of Enterprise Greater Moncton, said his organization has set its priorities -- including a convention centre and Fundy Gateway funding -- and has been rallying the federal government on Metro's priorities.

While he agrees the river restoration project is a good one, he adds that much-needed infrastructure is also key to boosting Metro's economic profile.

"We have to keep it in context," he said. "We're the largest municipality in New Brunswick. We generate a lot of economic activity. As a community, when you start to grow, you need key infrastructures -- it's extremely important."

Thompson said that the region's elected officials have a number of projects to handle and that they are doing the best they can with the federal resources allocated to the area.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Correction! Terminal Center IS the bigger one...but the one being painted is Terminal Plaza...stupid similar names always confuse me haha.
Just a heads up.. the white is only a primer..

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:16 PM

When I was driving on highway 2 yesterday, I have seen they started the work on the new Hampton Inn.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 6:39 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrew79 View Post
Just a heads up.. the white is only a primer..
ahhh I see...I had a feeling thats what it was...well thats good, I was thinking recently they needed to be painted or something because the black is all cruddy looking haha, I just didnt think that Crombie would put the effort in to fix it.

EDIT: Yeah...I just walked by a few mins ago on my break and saw them painting black over the primer...makes the building look 100% better, cant wait til they do the front which IMO looks the most beat up

Last edited by mmmatt; Aug 27, 2007 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:19 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Feature film begins shooting in Greater Moncton
August 27, 2007 - 6:47 am
By: Cathy LeBreton - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - Some up-and-comers as well as some recogizable names are attached to a movie being shot in Greater Moncton.

"Growing Op" is described as a dramatic comedy about a teenaged boy who rebells against his parents, who just happen to to run a marijuana growing operation out of their suburban home.

Several scenes were shot at Moncton's L'Odysee High School on the weekend and much of the filming will take place in a north-end neighborhood.
Producer Rick Warden says newcomer, Stephen Yassi, has been cast in the starring role.

Rachael Blanchard who starred in TV's "Clueless" and "Seventh Heaven" plays the boys love interest and fans of movies like Pulp Fiction and The Whole Nine Yards will recognize Roseanna Arquette as his mom.

Filming is expected to wrap up at the end of next month, with the movie hitting theatres next Fall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:26 PM

:: Moncton Hampton Inn project. ::

I saw on the advertising of the project that the hotel will be a 4-stories (100 rooms). Moreover, there will be two or three strip malls (5-10 stores) and one gas station along with.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Aug 27, 2007 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 7:55 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Renovations complete at the Sobeys on Mountain Rd...looks good...

Sobeys on Main st progressing very nicely, they have about 1/2 of the framing up at this point I would say.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Renovations complete at the Sobeys on Mountain Rd...looks good...

Sobeys on Main st progressing very nicely, they have about 1/2 of the framing up at this point I would say.
The project is great due to the fact Highfield square will be redeveloped, this shopping center really is in trouble with more than 45 % of vacant space. They talked about many perspectives (apartments, convention center, office space and new parking structure as well). Moreover, Sobeys will add retails space along Main street on the side of the building...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:34 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
The project is great due to the fact Highfield square will be redeveloped, this shopping center really is in trouble with more than 45 % of vacant space. They talked about many perspectives (apartments, convention center, office space and new parking structure as well). Moreover, Sobeys will add retails space along Main street on the side of the building...
I wouldnt say 45%...maybe once Sobeys leaves it would be close to 45% but not at the moment...its prob more like 25%...either way the mall sucks and what tennants are there go out of bussiness sometimes within a month.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt say 45%...maybe once Sobeys leaves it would be close to 45% but not at the moment...its prob more like 25%...either way the mall sucks and what tennants are there go out of bussiness sometimes within a month.
Well, according to Crombie homepage, there is more than 26 vacant stores and more than 30 000 s/f of office space for lease, i really don`t know the right percentage but like you said ealier they have to do something with.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 9:18 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Well, according to Crombie homepage, there is more than 26 vacant stores and more than 30 000 s/f of office space for lease, i really don`t know the right percentage but like you said ealier they have to do something with.
wow 26!? thats a lot more than I would have guessed, yeah they need to make better use of the space because clearly Champlain and Trinity are hogging the spotlight as far as retail is concerned.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
wow 26!? thats a lot more than I would have guessed, yeah they need to make better use of the space because clearly Champlain and Trinity are hogging the spotlight as far as retail is concerned.
You`re right, I mean its the case for whole Main street. There are some restaurants, coffees, hotels, banks, bars but few retail stores. I guess St George Street doing a better job than Main Street on the retail scene. Fredericton doing really well on that issue, the downtown core provides a lots of local stores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces