HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 4:34 AM

Imaginary, huh?

No doubt there are Glebites rooted in reality, and I certainly hope it's a silent-majority kind of thing, but if you have the capacity to read the news in this city, well... let's just say it's not ghosts who are calling the Citizen, the CBC, and the city to complain.

Anyway, off topic.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 2:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Glebe garage to get public art, but which public art?

Peter Simpson, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 18, 2014, Last Updated: November 18, 2014 4:24 PM EST

Is there a public building that’s more drearily utilitarian than a city parking garage? A bit of original art is just the thing to brighten up such blandness.

Citizens are invited to an open house Nov. 24 to see art proposals for a new parking garage to be built at 170 Second Ave. in the Glebe. There’ll be information on five proposed installations by artists including Karl Ciesluk, Christopher Griffin, Michael Kinghorn, Amy Thompson and the team of Anna Williams and Erin Robertson.

The City of Ottawa has a policy that requires the tiniest sliver of development-project spending to be saved for art, and to give life and character to otherwise be non-descript buildings. The art budget for the Second Avenue parking garage is $43,000, which, as the city’s call to artists notes, includes “all costs required to design, fabricate and install the project.” Anything left over will be actual income for the successful artist(s).

Here’s a quick look at each proposal, in no particular order:

Title: Skid-Blow Out

Artist: Karl Ciesluk

Karl Ciesluk’s series of aluminum plants are installed in the median that runs along King Edward Avenue, though many drivers may have not noticed the tall, thin structures, as one’s focus tends to be on the thoroughfare’s still-horrendous traffic.

For the Glebe garage Ciesluk wants to install two, 16-foot-high metal sculptures that represent in one case a long skid and in the other case a tire blowout. The project will create “a visual connection to the purpose of the building — a place for cars,” Ciesluk wrote in his proposal to the city.

BB opinion: The proposal may lack for subtlety, as there are sure to be plenty of real skid marks in the garage. More critically, there’s nothing about skid marks that says “Glebe.”

Title: Untitled

Artist: Christopher Griffin

Christopher Griffin noticed the Glebe has four distinct bodies of water — the Rideau Canal, Dow’s Lake, Brown’s Inlet and Patterson Creek — and the garage will have four levels. Griffin is well-known for etching images and shapes into wet stone, and on each level he would cover a large pillar with concrete that is then decorated with petroglyphs. Each column represents one of the four bodies of water. “These waterways will provide the local fish/amphibians and bird sources as subject matter,” Griffin proposes.

BB opinion: The columns, with their ancient-looking petroglyphs, would create a pleasing contrast of materials and architectural styles, and the project is a rich reflection of the neighbourhood.

Title: The Explorer

Artist: Michael Kinghorn

Michael Kinghorn is a “blacksmith artist,” and his installations at two new fire halls in the city’s south and west ends are engaging abstractions made of scrap metal. For the Glebe garage Kinghorn would create a spaceship, approximately 12 feet tall, from recycled steel, glass and bronze. “The Explorer is a whimsical story of a resourceful astronaut who has travelled far in search of a great place to visit and resupply,” which he does in the Glebe, Kinghorn writes.

BB opinion: Spaceships are fun, but the idea is generic and doesn’t meaningfully relate to the neighbourhood.

Title: Tributaries

Artist: Amy Thompson

Amy Thompson would make a canvas of the more than 600 square feet of glass that will let light in upon the garage’s stairwells, covering it all in pleasing colours and willowy designs.“The blocks of colour allude to stained glass and the clergy reserve the area was named after,” Thompson writes, “while the weeping willow represents the green spaces and water in the area.”

BB opinion: The dreariest part of a dreary parking garage is the stairwell, so some colour would be welcome. Also, Thompson’s panes would echo artist Adrian Göllner’s coloured-glass facade at the Shenkman Arts Centre in Orleans, and artist Hal Ingberg’s Papa installation in Gatineau, creating a city-wide triptych of coloured glass.

Title: Way Station

Artists: Erin Roberts and Anna Williams

Robertson’s and Williams’s public-art installations in the city include the bronze border collie herding sheep at Longfields Transit Station, and the bronze fox playfully chasing a ball at the Richcraft Recreation Complex in Kanata.

In the Glebe the pair would install 75 life-sized goldfinches, each uniquely cast in bronze and covered with a golden patina, and each either flying about the garage or landing on bronze branches. “We aim to create an environment with a subtle, contrasting connection between the strength, beauty and function of the building and that of the natural world,” they write.

BB opinion: Goldfinches are plentiful in the neighbourhood in season, and Robertson and Williams create harmonious art that enlivens whatever structure it’s in.

You can see photos of all the proposals online, and vote on which you prefer. See more at ottawacitizen.com/bigbeat.

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...ich-public-art

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 19, 2014 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

A winner has been chosen (Christopher Griffin) for the artwork, according to the Citizen:

Glebe parking garage art to be made by Griffin, city says

As it looks now, it's pretty horrendous... This guy also did the Falcon mural on the Bronson-Riverside bridge -- it looks alright. This was probably my least favourite of the selected finalists.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:15 PM

Ewww... not impressed.

I also agree it was probably my least favorite proposal... after that alien/spaceship combo outside the garage. But then again the way some Glebites are acting could be defined as "out of this world".

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Ewww... not impressed.

I also agree it was probably my least favorite proposal... after that alien/spaceship combo outside the garage. But then again the way some Glebites are acting could be defined as "out of this world".
Not sure how it applies in this case. In any event, Griffen is one of theirs.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:21 PM

Looks like they are getting ready to start work on the garage. There's a construction trailer, some fencing and a big "Closed" sign in the parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Work starts on city parking garage near Lansdowne

Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 2, 2015, Last Updated: February 2, 2015 5:32 PM EST

Construction has finally started on a municipal garage that will add much-needed parking near Lansdowne Park on Bank Street.

The Glebe Parking Garage had been set to open last October until the City of Ottawa determined that its original timetable was unrealistic and then a neighbour appealed the project to the Ontario Municipal Board.

Now it is expected to open in November.

The garage, being built on an existing 50-space surface lot, will have 150 parking spots and cost a projected $9.5 million — or more than $63,000 per space. However, demand for parking near Lansdowne, which lost its former vast lots in a major refurbishment that added stores and housing to the entertainment and sports complex, should ensure the garage is eventually a municipal money-maker.

The city and contractor “will do everything they can to minimize noise and dust,” the city said in a release, adding: “The support and patience of Glebe residents during construction is appreciated.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...near-lansdowne

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Cripes! That thing is hideous. I mean, I'll be glad if I can walk up to the top and get some great shots of downtown and Lansdowne's condos from there, but that thing doesn't look very good.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Cripes! That thing is hideous. I mean, I'll be glad if I can walk up to the top and get some great shots of downtown and Lansdowne's condos from there, but that thing doesn't look very good.
It is very bland. And it will probably look like total crap in 30 years after weathering.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:26 PM

"The garage, being built on an existing 50-space surface lot, will have 150 parking spots and cost a projected $9.5 million — or more than $63,000 per space."

I look at it this way. Additional spots created is 100. Cost per new (incremental) spot is $95,000.

Say an optimistic scenario at $10/day x 200 days annual occupancy x 30 years = $60,000. Without any maintenance costs time value of money.

Investment is going to be hard to recover.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
"The garage, being built on an existing 50-space surface lot, will have 150 parking spots and cost a projected $9.5 million — or more than $63,000 per space."

I look at it this way. Additional spots created is 100. Cost per new (incremental) spot is $95,000.

Say an optimistic scenario at $10/day x 200 days annual occupancy x 30 years = $60,000. Without any maintenance costs time value of money.

Investment is going to be hard to recover.
Ouch. The true cost of parking.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quote:

(
Interesting, but even to my ever optimistic eye, this seems a bit low. City lots are anywhere from $3-5/hour... and I doubt the Glebe would be on the low end of this. You are basically suggesting the garage would be fully occupied 2 hours out of 12... or overall 16% occupancy rate..

and why 200 days?? City lots charge 7 days a week... and even at $10/day, I think it would be fair to use the full 365 days...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
Interesting, but even to my ever optimistic eye, this seems a bit low. City lots are anywhere from $3-5/hour... and I doubt the Glebe would be on the low end of this. You are basically suggesting the garage would be fully occupied 2 hours out of 12... or overall 16% occupancy rate..

and why 200 days?? City lots charge 7 days a week... and even at $10/day, I think it would be fair to use the full 365 days...
Maybe you are right...don't know.

However, who is going to park there weekdays during day time? There are not too many offices around. In addition, the hourly rates do not apply most of the time as most users reach the daily max. I was assuming a daily max of $10, 200 days out of 365...which is 55% occupancy.

Let's not forget that we are not downtown and there are just so many events at the TD Place.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are right...don't know.

However, who is going to park there weekdays during day time? There are not too many offices around. In addition, the hourly rates do not apply most of the time as most users reach the daily max. I was assuming a daily max of $10, 200 days out of 365...which is 55% occupancy.

Let's not forget that we are not downtown and there are just so many events at the TD Place.
I really don't know either... most of the downtown city lots are $16/day so this would probably be in that metric.

I have parked in that lot many times (usually on the weekend), and it's always hit or miss to find a spot... even in the winter. My experience has been mostly hourly parkers visiting Metro or probably just shopping on Bank (i.e. there always seems to be somebody coming or going).... but really don't have insight to its occupancy during the week.

In any event, your point is taken.... can only hope the city crunched the numbers to make it work...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
It is very bland. And it will probably look like total crap in 30 years after weathering.
Or, within hours of completion.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:06 PM

Yes, but does it have enough room for one sled and eight tiny reindeer...
-----------------------------------------------

Glebe Parking Garage has something for everyone

November 25, 2015

City of Ottawa News Release

Ottawa – Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor David Chernushenko officially opened the Glebe Parking Garage today, much to the delight of neighbourhood shoppers and business owners alike.

The Glebe Parking Garage is located at 170 Second Avenue near Bank Street, on the site of a previously existing City-owned parking lot. It has four levels of parking and space for 146 vehicles; nearly three times the capacity of the surface parking lot it replaced.

The garage includes:
•two charging stations for electrical vehicles
•44 bicycle parking spaces and a maintenance station for bicycles
•two miniature parks, or parkettes, with seating both in the shade and in the sun
•solar panels that generate enough daily electricity to power a family home
•a seasonal drinking water fountain
•digital display information boards
•unique public art on each level

“This garage will be a great help to local businesses as well as local shoppers and those from around the city,” said Mayor Watson. “I encourage everyone to visit the neighbourhood and to see the incredible artwork in the new garage.”

Artwork is located throughout the four levels, depicting images associated with the four bodies of water that surround the Glebe: Patterson Creek, Dow’s Lake, Brown’s Inlet and the Rideau Canal. The unique concrete etchings created by Christopher Griffin, the artist commissioned through the City’s Public Art Program, can be found in public spaces across the city.

“The Glebe Parking Garage is now a mobility hub that can accommodate a full range of needs,” said Councillor Chernushenko. “We are excited to be here today to celebrate this impressive state-of-the-art facility.”

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 12:19 PM
Living With My Mother

What are the parking rates and times?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 6:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I really don't know either... most of the downtown city lots are $16/day so this would probably be in that metric.

I have parked in that lot many times (usually on the weekend), and it's always hit or miss to find a spot... even in the winter. My experience has been mostly hourly parkers visiting Metro or probably just shopping on Bank (i.e. there always seems to be somebody coming or going).... but really don't have insight to its occupancy during the week.

In any event, your point is taken.... can only hope the city crunched the numbers to make it work...
It's the city they don't have to crunch the numbers. Nobody will be keeping track of profit or loss on this specific project.
They will do a good business on Saturday with shoppers etc. but, I don't see how anybody going to Lansdowne is going to park here given the distance, other than during game events when Lansdowne parking is blocked off.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It's the city they don't have to crunch the numbers. Nobody will be keeping track of profit or loss on this specific project.
They will do a good business on Saturday with shoppers etc. but, I don't see how anybody going to Lansdowne is going to park here given the distance, other than during game events when Lansdowne parking is blocked off.
It is less than a 1km walk to Lansdowne. Depending on the rates for a weekend I would much rather park here and walk along Bank than pay close to $3/hr to park underground at Lansdowne. I believe the parking garage is to serve Glebe stores and not target Lansdowne directly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa