HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
passion for patterns

Okay, then. All I am saying is: suggesting I am a liar was not the right thing to do.

To be fair to San Antonio, give its ugly suburban parts another 10 years and it'll look greener. You can tell 1970's-era suburban developments from 1990's-era suburban developments in SA by the amount of green on satellite.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:49 PM

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 12:17 AM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Welcome back, Saytown

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Lived in Austin for more than half my life, and I have family in Olmos Park (one of the places that actually has trees in abundance.) I've visited SA plenty of times, and know enough to tell you how to get from Presa Road to De Zavala Road or Babcock or Basse or San Pedro. I can tell you that those big boots outside North Star Mall are tacky, and that I miss Earl Abel's.

Ah, Basse Rd. Thanks for mentioning that, it brings back memories of a family friend who lived over there near the quarry. I always thought that quarry redevelopement was a waste of space, such a prime location midway between downtown and the airport, and yet those developers choose that sprawly low-rise gated developement garbage and a shopping center with an enormous parking lot. Such as sprawl, go with the flow.

Anyway, San Antiono's downtown is really beautiful for those who have not been there. Just think of it as a flower surrounded by a dirt pot as most of our cities are now. There are some really beautiful natural landscapes not far from the city, and I have to give points to Schlitterbahn in suburban New Brunsfeld, the most kick-ass water park I have ever been to.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Ah, Basse Rd. Thanks for mentioning that, it brings back memories of a family friend who lived over there near the quarry. I always thought that quarry redevelopement was a waste of space, such a prime location midway between downtown and the airport, and yet those developers choose that sprawly low-rise gated developement garbage and a shopping center with an enormous parking lot. Such as sprawl, go with the flow.

Anyway, San Antiono's downtown is really beautiful for those who have not been there. Just think of it as a flower surrounded by a dirt pot as most of our cities are now. There are some really beautiful natural landscapes not far from the city, and I have to give points to Schlitterbahn in suburban New Brunsfeld, the most kick-ass water park I have ever been to.
Lol not a very good example.only to the east of downtown is really gritty.You really shouldnt say that about the historic districts that mostly surround the cbd.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by potts View Post
After growing up in the midwest, I can see how someone would say that our city lacks greenery. It is in the arid southwest, after all. Not exactly a region that is renowned for its lush green landscapes.
I'm amazed at how people generalize about the "southwest". San Antonio is not in the "arid southwest". West Texas is, but San Antonio is not in West Texas. San Antonio, however, is in a transition zone that is not nearly as moist as saturated East Texas, and not nearly as dry as West Texas. The annual rainfall is about 25-28 inches, compared to Houston's 50 inches and El Paso's 7 inches.

Vegetation wise, it depends on which part of the city, since the city is located at the junction of several geographic land forms. The northwest portion is more wooded, in association with the hill county. The neighborhoods are quite shady. Nothing like East Texas, but not bad.

Oh...regarding El Nino. Normally, El Nino brings the rain back. But not this year. It's more like a La Nina year.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:17 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asobi Seksu View Post
I shouldn't even dignify that comment with a reply, but I will. So I'm the kid they banned for starting fights or whatever he did? That's shocking news to me.
Well, the M.O. is awfully familiar.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:26 AM

So anyway, lush or not (some parts is, some parts isn't), San Antonio has beautiful areas and ugly sprawl. I will not be the booster who starts fights and offers ammunition. Some people on both sides of this have an axe to grind, and for them I suggest they start some axe-grinding thread somewhere else. James Bond Agent 007 did not fabricate the pictures at the beginning of this thread. San Antonio has sprawl-- a lot of it. I accept that as fact. I'm not happy about it. I was born there, and I love it very much. Whether it's uglier than other sprawl is a matter of opinion, and a civil discussion to that end would be fine. But San Antonio is what it is. I defended it as having character in spite of the sprawl, and that is all one can do.

In the end, San Antonians are suffering a fate that few cities have escaped thus far, and whether a city has sprawl or not should not be a reflection on the character of its people, but on the scruples of developers, local and nationwide (many of whom do not necessarily reside in the towns these subdivisions are built in) and the scruples of city leaders. For them, the problem is a stickier issue, and the immediate economics unfortunately often obscure the big picture. I hope they will see the big picture soon, and I have a feeling that'll happen. Sadly, good decisions usually happen after bad decisions, and not sooner. It will take sprawl to undo sprawl (meaning people often have to see the problem before they understand it). I'm hopeful.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:42 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The first thing you noticed from what? Pictures?
no. in the several times i have been there. i only live up the road (I-10) and like to visit san antonio every so often. but, yeah...the area is not known for its lushness. it's not a jab at the city but a fact of reality of its geographic location.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:55 AM

So true. But let these people think that they live in a lush, tropical green jungle. It's obviously very important to them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Lol not a very good example.only to the east of downtown is really gritty.You really shouldnt say that about the historic districts that mostly surround the cbd.
I was talking about the sprawl, not the grit.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 6:41 PM
Houston:Considered Good

This is the most redundant argument. Like, most arguments lead to a point, this argument doesn't lead to any point.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:15 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Sir, do not get testy with me, I'm supposed to know you are 25? The clues you gave me painted a picture of someone who visited the out of town family during the holidays with your family (your parents). And I posted that before reading your post about going to those clubs.
Dude you need to calm down. Honestly no one else makes me more mad on here, then you and your comments. You take everything so serioulsy. Its green, black, blue, brown, its all the damn colors.

See that ====>

Thats you...

Moving on...

Last edited by Complex01; Dec 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 7:31 PM

tree coalition

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bDqeGchI62ABoC2jzbkF/SIG=1284erieb/EXP=1221159710/**http%3A//www.aerialperspectives.net/aerials/303-05.jpg[/img]

[img]://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bF.4HMhIl.QA.G6jzbkF/SIG=1275kai51/EXP=1221160504/**http%3A//www.aerialperspectives.net/aerials/60505.jpg;[/img]

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 3:20 AM

Yep, those are trees. And miles and miles and miles of sprawl. And yes, I have been to San Antonio, multiple times in fact, and I had a wonderful time each time, and there are many great areas within the city and the surrounding area, but SA does sprawl (my measurement - downtown to far edge of suburbia) more than most other metro areas of the same size.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:37 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

One of the reasons I liked living in SA, were the trees.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:51 AM
California goth

Poor Paul in SA. This thread has been haunting him for two long years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:56 AM
Posh

Quote:
One of the reasons I liked living in SA, were the trees.
Sorry to say, but those are some pretty wimpy trees. I've got one mere feet from my balcony that must be 120 feet tall. With a bald eagle occasionally hanging out at the top of it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:07 AM

Randolph AFb Universal City-Shertz area.

Palo Alto College South San Antonio

South Central San Antonio

Suburb of Leon Valley

Six Flags

Southwest Bio-Medical Research

Somewhere San Antonio

I-35 south side San Antonio

Far West San Antonio 2001. 750 new subdivions built since then, behind Wall Mart.

Dense Suburban are NW San Antonio

photo TreeCoalition

cool pixels flickr

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:15 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Sorry to say, but those are some pretty wimpy trees. I've got one mere feet from my balcony that must be 120 feet tall. With a bald eagle occasionally hanging out at the top of it.
Yeah well I have two California Redwoods two feet from my deck. Top that..

I don't have an eagle though. Just a few ducks...

But San Antonio is a very green city in terms of trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions