HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:32 AM

Portland Makes List of World's Top 25 Livable Cities

And it's the only American city on the list.

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nati...ies-livability

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 5:18 AM
Karma Police

Great to see Portland getting more international recognition, but these lists are always so subjective. It really depends on what metrics they're using and how they're weighted. It also depends on who the author is and his/her particular biases.

Having said that, we do seem to be ranking pretty high on a whole slew of these lists, regardless of how they're assembled. So, we must be doing something right.

Yay for us!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Great to see Portland getting more international recognition, but these lists are always so subjective. It really depends on what metrics they're using and how they're weighted. It also depends on who the author is and his/her particular biases.

Having said that, we do seem to be ranking pretty high on a whole slew of these lists, regardless of how they're assembled. So, we must be doing something right.

Yay for us!
Yeah, it was mainly because of our affordability as stated in the video. Short vid that accompanies the list. "International Routes" was one of the variables–presumably not of the Silk Road variety. I could not find their methodology.

For comparison, here are the most bike-friendly cities in the world according to Wired.

And of all the metrics for cities, I've found walk score is one essential indicator of quality of life.

Last edited by hat; Jun 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:06 PM

Portland came in 24th this year.

Honolulu placed at 23rd this year joining Portland as the only US cities. My current hometown of Oslo dropped out this year which surprises me.

Tokyo came out on top again. I have to wonder about their methodology though. I have never been to Tokyo and have heard that it is a fantastic place to visit. Best place to live though?

Correct me if I'm wrong but their working hours and working culture must make a work/life balance impossible. If you're a woman you seemingly have to choose between having children or a career. If you're a man don't expect to see your family much as when you're done working it sounds like you're expected to join colleagues for a drink.

Living space per person is much smaller than what I would be sane with and prices in Tokyo are among the highest in the world. Most people seem to live in what I'd consider drab concrete post-war apartment buildings. How accessible are parks and nature?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion